Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2010, 18:28   #1411
Team-BHP Support

Nice discussion guys! Surely a big help for a person like me who is a dummy in this regard. I would be looking at getting a water purifier a couple of months down the line, and will come back to check on this discussion in detail to take a decision.

Thanks once again!
Old 4th October 2010, 20:49   #1412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
If you're interested in this product, I can take a second opinion for you from here in Chennai. Let me know your thoughts or some other options to help you.
Well, my parents have taken the final call and they have chosen the Total Reviva. Their point : There might be some compromise in the 8k ones. I'm not complaining.

Quote:
Well, that's not the point @Anku. See it takes about 2 hours for us to get the water purified for us. But then, our TDS should be in excess of 800 & we're gaining only about 40%. So may be that's the delay for us. So, you may want to consider that factor.
This one is supposed to do it in 45 minutes.

Quote:
You may want to test the TDS meter as such. Rajdeep's method is excellent one & you may want to try that.
I'll ask the agent to bring one along and test the purified water.

Quote:
None of them allows to set the TDS. I guess even the imported ones. But don't worry, the not the entire TDS's can be removed by these machines because the filters are not capable of removing anything below a certain point, may be 50 or 60 or something. Ask for another demo & check the TDS level of water after the RO process. You'll definitely see a positive TDS in 50+ but less than 100. Hope this clarifies.
This allays my fears. Although I think the Kent ones do that. Not sure.

So there ends a long and confused buying process. I do think we've made a good choice after all. Thanks for all your help, especially aargee sir who had a reply ready to every query I put, how stupid it may be, and helping me getting on the right track when I was almost decided on a UV purifier.

Pics coming when filter comes home. Likely in 2-3 days.

PS : Any chance I can get Eureka Forbes direct selling to give us some discount ? We didn't try hard as we weren't too sure when he came for a demo, but my dad asked casually for a discount and he refused to budge.
Old 4th October 2010, 20:56   #1413
BANNED

Pureit Marvella seems perfect , here is the ad PURE IT..MARVELLA AD
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Surely a big help for a person like me who is a dummy in this regard.
Old 4th October 2010, 21:20   #1414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
Well, my parents have taken the final call and they have chosen the Total Reviva.
Ok Good.

Quote:
This one is supposed to do it in 45 minutes.
Oh!!! Well, the 2 hours job is for approx 16-20 litres of water. I guess its about 8 litre in 45 mts to 1 hour.

Quote:
This allays my fears. Although I think the Kent ones do that. Not sure.
Ok, but any specific reason as why the TDS must be set? Then, do something like, check the Kent model where you can set the TDS & there should be some minimum level, call it 50, 60, 70 beyond this you may not be able to settle anything lesser. But purpose?

Quote:
So there ends a long and confused buying process.
Good; but, I repeat, understand the pros & cons of the model you're buying.

Quote:
Any chance I can get Eureka Forbes direct selling to give us some discount ? We didn't try hard as we weren't too sure when he came for a demo, but my dad asked casually for a discount and he refused to budge.
Well, here's a little tip from my side; the salesman or the agencies, not sure who gets, but the commission is about 25% on the sale value is the profit they make by selling one unit

Unfortunately I came to know about this only after a month after my purchase. If you quote the price is high, the salesman might throw an easy installment option in front of you & may be its interest free too; these are the rules of the game that I know. So give a try on your luck

Quote:
Thanks for all your help, especially aargee sir who had a reply ready to every query I put, how stupid it may be, and helping me getting on the right track when I was almost decided on a UV purifier
No problem @Anku; this is the least I could do for all the suggestion you offered for my questions on What's your computer configuration thread.
Old 4th October 2010, 21:51   #1415
Distinguished - BHPian

anku94... all the best for your new purifier!

Now your buying problem is over, I have a new one. My washing machine has been confirmed dead today. I could probably replace that main board again, but I think it is time to call it a day.

I will go back over the previous two or three pages, but my impression from following the thread is that LG seems to be flavour of the day.

I am looking for a mid-range automatic front loader and I am (sensibly) being told that I must not spend much money on it.
Old 4th October 2010, 22:02   #1416
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I will go back over the previous two or three pages, but my impression from following the thread is that LG seems to be flavour of the day.
No second thoughts about it @Thad. But settle only for LG's direct drive. Even Samsung has one, do not even go near it. As far as my LG's LCD's TV's experience on service, they're professional.

Incase you decide for a non front loader (which I'm sure you will not), then look no further than Whirlpool; trust me, you'll enjoy their service, if at all it breaks down.
Old 4th October 2010, 22:07   #1417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
None of them allows to set the TDS. I guess even the imported ones. But don't worry, the not the entire TDS's can be removed by these machines because the filters are not capable of removing anything below a certain point, may be 50 or 60 or something. Ask for another demo & check the TDS level of water after the RO process. You'll definitely see a positive TDS in 50+ but less than 100. Hope this clarifies.

That's an excellent idea Rajdeep. Appreciate for sharing. Thanks much.
Ur welcome aargee. One point about the TDS adjustability, the models from Kent allow adjustable TDS. The model I have doesn't have this feature and this makes the TDS around 10 or lesser. This was tested at the same time I got the mineral water testing done and after 5 years, the TDS has not gone over 20.
Old 4th October 2010, 22:12   #1418
BHPian

Quote:
anku94... all the best for your new purifier!

Now your buying problem is over, I have a new one. My washing machine has been confirmed dead today. I could probably replace that main board again, but I think it is time to call it a day.

I am looking for a mid-range automatic front loader and I am (sensibly) being told that I must not spend much money on it.
For the last 10 years, my home has been filled with LG appliances of which one washing machine is 10 years old (in Hyderdabad) and the other is nearing 5 years (in Bangalore). The 10 year old LG is a top loader and I had to get the clutch replaced in May this year. The 5 year old machine is a front loader and I have not faced any issue till now. I use the front loader infrequently though, about twice a week and never with the temperature above 40 degrees owing to the extremely hard water at my place.
Old 5th October 2010, 00:15   #1419
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank you to you and aargee for that advice. I guess LG it is, then. I'm thinking of spending about 25,000 on a front loader. F1056LDP, from the website.

Oh, my poor Bosch...

Any preferences about which of the Chennai electrical shops to go to? We have an e-zone near by, but I don't think I am keen on buying there.
Old 5th October 2010, 05:08   #1420
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Any preferences about which of the Chennai electrical shops to go to? We have an e-zone near by, but I don't think I am keen on buying there.

Instead of the bigbox stores, if you go to the small stores, you can bargain hard.

I have seen that you can get prices which are atleast 10% cheaper in the smaller stores. I bought Philips DVD Player from a non-descript tiny store at a price which was 25% cheaper than Croma. All this was not in Chennai, though.
Old 5th October 2010, 05:28   #1421
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yap e-zone is good; I hope you know that e-zone claims to sell cheapest of all in the city. However, if it is possible to wait for about a month, 5-Nov to precise, you're bound to get some freebies due to the festival season.

You may want to try Shah's, who's a big time LG dealer
Quote:
Old 28A New 59, 1st Main Road, Gandhi Nagar, Chennai 600 020.
Phone : 43504950 / 42114155 / 66
I'd a good experience from Shah's Annanagar when we bought our Whirlpool WM.

Just one question - Are you planning to trade your Bosch WM with a scrap dealer or exchange at the place where you're buying?
Old 5th October 2010, 14:19   #1422
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Are you planning to trade your Bosch WM with a scrap dealer or exchange at the place where you're buying?
I was planning not to bother getting it back (it had to go to a guy some way away who has experience), but my wife insists that we should get the scrap value from it! You can see why I unequivocally give her the job of family Finance Director

Divali offers would be a good idea, but we will be completely tied up with a family wedding for that entire week.

I'd like to go to a shop that is big enough for me to see the whole range, but bargaining capability is good too (I'll leave that to the FD!). carboy, you mean smaller shops than Shah's or Vivec if we want to bargain? I'm not fussed about saving a few hundred: it has to be, say, 10% or minimum 5% to make walking around trying to get it worthwhile.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 5th October 2010 at 14:21.
Old 5th October 2010, 14:44   #1423
Senior - BHPian

e-zone or croma should be good. personally i wouldn't recommend buying from smaller dealers. There is every chance of being dumped with a 2nd quality product for a few hundred rupees less.
Old 5th October 2010, 15:00   #1424
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
I'd like to go to a shop that is big enough for me to see the whole range, but bargaining capability is good too (I'll leave that to the FD!). carboy, you mean smaller shops than Shah's or Vivec if we want to bargain? I'm not fussed about saving a few hundred: it has to be, say, 10% or minimum 5% to make walking around trying to get it worthwhile.
I have no idea about Shah or Vivek - I am not from Chennai :-)

By Small shops I mean, Mom-n-Pop shops which aren't part of a chain, which don't have 10's of salesmen hanging around.

Individual propreitership shops which may have 3-4 salesmen at most.
I have seen considerable differences in prices if you bargain really hard.
For eg. the Philips DVD Player I have was being quoted for 3000 to 3300 at almost all the chain shops. I bought it for Rs. 2400.
That's a 20% diff.

A LG AC was quoting for 16000 at couple of chains. I bought it for 15000, I think & I didn't bargain hard or do too much comparison shopping because I was in a big hurry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
e-zone or croma should be good. personally i wouldn't recommend buying from smaller dealers. There is every chance of being dumped with a 2nd quality product for a few hundred rupees less.
What is a 2nd quality product & why would companies be dumping it on smaller shops? If it was not as same as the thing being sold in chain shops, why would the company offer the same warranty? Also 15 years back, there were hardly any chain shops. Everyone bought everything from Mom-n-Pop stores.
Old 5th October 2010, 18:43   #1425
BANNED

14 days after getting my super expensive paper weight aka LG washer dryer (Thad, are you listening?), I got a call from LG customer service. The usual "customer satisfaction survery".

Gave him a earful.

His response - "sir, why don't you contact the customer care?? I will give you the phone number!!!!"

I point out that I have talked to Kerala head of their after-sales care.

I am sorry to point out that I am running into brick walls with LG. If they do not replace it in couple of day, I will insist on refund.

Most Viewed