Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2010, 11:09   #1366
Senior - BHPian

Benny, the problem started within warranty period and continues still. The machine does not come on. The service engineers so far have been pathetic. They simply take your vacuum cleaner and blow. Recently the MW comes on but does not heat and i am told that the heating blah blah is gone and has to be replaced - 1k.
Old 28th September 2010, 11:21   #1367
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
That ought to be Phillips vs. Prestigee Vs. Preethi.

Consider Sujatha too.
How about Kenstar, Morphy Richards?

I have recently got a Phillips Mixie, the super silent one. Costed me 2700/-. Orignal cost Rs 3100 minus old mixie exchange 400/-and got a small fry pan as a freebie sufficient to fry one papad at a time.

While I am allowed to comment on the dishes from the mixie, the performance is strictly commented by my wife. Obviously her choice of mixie.

Last edited by ghodlur : 28th September 2010 at 11:23.
Old 28th September 2010, 15:33   #1368
Distinguished - BHPian

I would avoid Kenstar: mine did not last well.
Old 28th September 2010, 15:41   #1369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
How about Kenstar, Morphy Richards?
We replaced our philips with a Morphy Richards 6 months back. No complaints till date.
Old 28th September 2010, 20:12   #1370
BANNED

Kenstar is videocon re branded with premium prices.
Old 29th September 2010, 09:42   #1371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
My reason of going for Samsung microwave was based on just this one fact.

Samsung is the largest manufacturer of 'magnetron' - the technology that generates the
microwave.

IMHO everything else is branding and marketing wars between companies.
I have a Samsung with Grill for last ten years, no problems. I have bought a second one now.

We have to distinguish between the manufacturers and marketers, while buying appliances. There are very few OEM who supply the appliance and a lot of brands who just market the product under their brand. Most of the Mixers sold in Indian market are OEM from China. Similarly there are a couple of large LCD panel makers but a lot of TV brands.
Old 29th September 2010, 17:06   #1372
BANNED

My lg washing machine had its first service call day after it was installed - tuesday. It had washed just one load. Water would not come in thru inlet. I am travelling and mom calle the service and they turned up today. Seems the inlet mechanism needs replacement. Worse, it is identical to the same part in the ifb. She is now an expert at what is inside the old machine. We have asked for a replacement of the machine itself. Not willing to live with yet another lemon. Let us see.
Old 29th September 2010, 19:46   #1373
Senior - BHPian

@BSD - What's the turn around time for each service? BTW, replace the entire washing machine for an inlet hose? Do you think they'll agree to it? Anyway Good luck. I'm more interested to know about their service turn around time; appreciate if you can keep me posted on that.
Old 30th September 2010, 12:44   #1374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I would avoid Kenstar: mine did not last well.
PLus 100 to that. Kenstar is Videocon.
Old 30th September 2010, 14:14   #1375
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
@BSD - What's the turn around time for each service? BTW, replace the entire washing machine for an inlet hose? Do you think they'll agree to it? Anyway Good luck. I'm more interested to know about their service turn around time; appreciate if you can keep me posted on that.
NOT the inlet hose; but whatever it takes to control water inflow into the Washing Machine. Obviously, it not the hose issue. Plus, there is a bit too much vibration for my comfort. At least, when people with good ears like Sam say that it is "super silent", it ought to be silent. This particular piece is not. And finally, we did tell the dealer that in case of any complaints within first 30 days, we will insist on a replacement, not just repair.

Regarding turnaround time - the first call took 3 days; probably because mother had asked them to come on Saturday, (but he did not turn up on Saturday either). The service guy came on the next day (ie. Wednesday - today is Thursday) for a complaint lodged on Tuesday.

They have asked for 2 days time for replacing the machine - that will be tomorrow. In the meanwhile, the old IFB is doing its duty.
Old 1st October 2010, 11:28   #1376
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
In the meanwhile, the old IFB is doing its duty.
I have yet to figure out why every body wants to replace IFB. My IFB is 10 years old. As I have AMC they have replaced everything except the body - controller, drum, motor and a lot of small parts. It runs and runs with an average of one wash per day - clothes, towels, curtains, mats, shoes you name it and we wash it.

Modern machines are full of electronics. While I have nothing against electronics, but in my experience just like cars you are at the mercy of the manufacturer's maintenance if any thing goes wrong. Further complex electronic modules mean outright replacement at our cost (outright or in terms of inflated AMC). In most of the cases older technology appliances run for twenty years or more with minor replacements, while the modern high tech stuff does not even last five years.

In every washing machine there is a filter to catch cloth flint, coins and other small pieces. We have to clean it once a week, else the water does not drain out properly. There is also a vapour lock valve at the top left, which needs regular thumping otherwise during hot wash - 90 degrees the vapour ensures that the pump is ineffective. We replaced it twice and the problem starts within a year, waiting for the third replacement.
Old 1st October 2010, 16:49   #1377
Distinguished - BHPian

Whilst it is true about the electronics (already cost me dearly), the previous generation of machines had their programs controlled by complex electro-mechanical switches.
Old 1st October 2010, 19:17   #1378
BANNED

aroy, LG does not have AMC; at least, the guy who came for install did not know about it. The motor comes with a 10 year warranty; the machine carries 2 years warranty, and I have an option of getting an extended warranty for 3.5K.

I did once ask some local mechanic to repair the IFB, but on just hearing the name IFB, he said that several parts are not available, and this "feature" is found only for IFBs. Most other machines have interchangeable parts.

It is another matter that the LG machine developed problems after just a single wash, and I am still waiting for word from the company on replacement.
Old 1st October 2010, 20:24   #1379
BHPian

Victory Is Mine !!!

Dad has finally consented on a water purifier at home. But being almost newbies in this category, we're clueless. PureIt was initially the first choice, but then Google revealed people's inability to obtain the replacement kits and the service guys' lackadaisical attitude.

So we now know we have to shell out more. What we're looking for is the cheapest [Long-term] filter that provides 'clean-enough' water. We found filters in Rs. 7,000 to Rs. 14,000 range. And to say the least, I'm baffled.

What I managed to figure out is RO is the way to go. UV is a tech that's almost obsolete, it seems.

We're a family of three with minimal requirements. I'm not sure how pure the ground water or municipal tap water is [We have both municipal supply and a borewell]. What I know is that sewerage facility is unavailable here and everybody has deep underground pits for sewage storage. The water tastes and seems alright though. There're no apparent impurities or saltiness. It's a bit sweet, infact.

So what option would be best for us ? What's the difference between a 7k RO purifier and a 14k RO purifier ? If you were to recommend me a model [Only found Eureka Forbes and Kent in my city, and a cheap one called Aquasure], which one would it be ? I'm honestly stumped looking at all the options with varying price tags and no apparent difference in features.

Thanks a lot.

EDIT : I was reading up on the net and found that RO systems are not recommended if TDS levels are below 500 mg/[Whatever unit]. Can one estimate the TDS levels of water supply ?

EDIT 2 : Found out that high TDS leads to deterioration in taste. Tap water tastes and smells fine, in fact it smells and tastes good. Googled sources say that in this case, I don't need a RO purifier. What do you say ?

Last edited by anku94 : 1st October 2010 at 20:34.
Old 1st October 2010, 22:40   #1380
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
So we now know we have to shell out more. What we're looking for is the cheapest [Long-term] filter that provides 'clean-enough' water. We found filters in Rs. 7,000 to Rs. 14,000 range. And to say the least, I'm baffled.

What I managed to figure out is RO is the way to go. UV is a tech that's almost obsolete, it seems.
Says who? UV is good enough unless you need RO.
BTW, you can get a good Eureka Forbes UV starting from 4500+ I think.
Just don't buy it from a EF Salesman. Go to a shop & buy it - the lower end models are only available in shops. They are as good as the 7000 Rs ones.

I have a Forbes Crystal which I bought for less than Rs. 5500 (don't remember the exact price). Remember to bargain with the shopkeeper - you can usually lower a couple of 100 there.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks