Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2010, 20:38   #1276
Senior - BHPian

@raccoon: Thanks. Could you please provide me the link of those discussions.

@racingmachine: What exactly is this dish washer??

Last edited by mercedised : 4th September 2010 at 20:39.
Old 4th September 2010, 20:49   #1277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post

Quote wikipedia : "A dishwasher is a mechanical device for cleaning dishes and eating utensils"

For instance, the one i bought, IFB Neptune : put the dirty dishes in, put in the detergent, close the lid and press the button. voila. You have clean utensils in about 2 hrs. Just like washing machine. But instead of clothes, there are dirty utensils. Hope that helped.
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Appliance thread-neptuneb.jpg  

Last edited by racingmachine : 4th September 2010 at 20:51.
Old 4th September 2010, 21:56   #1278
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Don't know why Borosil, which is supposed to be made in India, commands such a high premium.
Why cannot a brand made in India command a high premium?

My IFB washing machine got a bright idea last week - on Tuesday. The idea was so bright that it started giving out sparks from its top.

I was on a trip for couple of days, and worried people called the local washing machine guys - they have lost confidence in the IFB service guys.

But, they washed their hands off - saying parts are not available in open market.

So, the service guy came next day; and replaced the heater control.

I am poorer by INR 1080 now. Buying a new w/m is not possible overnight; certainly for not next 2-3 weeks, as me and wie are very busy.
Old 4th September 2010, 21:59   #1279
Senior - BHPian

@racingmachine:

2 Hrs??? Is it really. If so, it's too high (?).
Old 4th September 2010, 22:44   #1280
BHPian

Quote:
@racingmachine:

2 Hrs??? Is it really. If so, it's too high (?).
15 mins to 2 hrs. . .depends!! Lots of options!!
Old 5th September 2010, 01:22   #1281
Senior - BHPian

Lots of options?? What is the electricity consumption per hour?? and what's the cost of that?? Thanks for the information.
Old 5th September 2010, 02:13   #1282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Convection Microwave has Fan inside. There are different mode for usage of convection. MW+Convection or Grill+Convection or Convection mode.

Grill microwave does not have fan inside. Fan what you see back side is for cooling purpose of unit not for cooking.
That is exactly what I have already posted, see below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
There is a cooling fan in all MWs. I am not aware if there is one to circulate heat/hotair inside the food cavity. Maybe those with the steam function have one but again I am not sure.
Old 5th September 2010, 02:49   #1283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingmachine View Post
Used it a coupla times in the past two days. Indicator is still on. Lets see for a couple of days more if the light still glows red. Otherwise ill call the service guys.
Don't be in a hurry to call the service guys. In my experience the lower run of the guys are just not upto the mark. They seem like the kind who will create couple new problems in attempt to solve one. Give it at least 2-3 more washes/days. I'm sure the indicator will go off.

Quote:
@raccoon: Thanks. Could you please provide me the link of those discussions.

You can start reading the threads from here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Why cannot a brand made in India command a high premium?
Because I imagine that transportation/import costs/taxes, etc., have to be accounted for when you import from other countries. A locally made product should have the cost advantage here. Wheres in this case the opposite seems to be true. Not just the Miltons and Yeras (reportedly both these are Chinese imports) but also the Made in France stuff was cheaper/equivalently priced to Borosil. I don't see justification for that unless its supposed to be of better quality than these imports. But is it so???

Quote:
Lots of options?? What is the electricity consumption per hour?? and what's the cost of that?? Thanks for the information.
I guess he means that there are different programs which run for varying durations. Generally the shortest programs are good enough to handle glassware/crockery. However regular use stainless steel vessels need almost 2 hours and higher temperatures. Sticky frying pans, etc., need the most intensive program.

IIRC electricity consumption is about 1.25 kWh for the Daily use program which I guess will be used most by most people.

Last edited by Raccoon : 5th September 2010 at 02:52.
Old 5th September 2010, 14:31   #1284
Distinguished - BHPian

Dishwasher? I'll stick to maid for this one!

Frankly, though, as a family of two who do not cook a lot, the washing up is no big deal except when I roast a chicken.
Old 5th September 2010, 22:03   #1285
BANNED

Started the search for a new washing m/c today. This is going to take plenty of time. So do not expect me posting "i got a new w/m today" very soon.

The only shop I visited today were quoting 34 odd for a samsung 6.5 washer dryer combo. I feel they will cut another 1K on that, if I wave the "gandhi heads" instead of a dead plastic card at them.

They were asking me to consider IFB - and I said I already own one; and prefer a coffin rather than IFB. The guy did not mention IFB again.

He also showed me siemens - but they have only 5.5 and 7 Kg models.

And surprise, surprise, I was shown a brand new brand. It was i<bla bla bla>. Some name starting with I. He could not identiy the origin of the brand. Prices were comparable to that of IFB, and was told the company offered a 4 year warranty.

Next week, need to visit some other shop which stocks LG too.

Exchange?? The current model will fetch only 1K saar!!!
Old 6th September 2010, 09:02   #1286
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Exchange?? The current model will fetch only 1K saar!!!
Never do an exchange; I recently experienced a world of difference, though I didn't make a good bargain.

When I went to exchange my videocon top loader, for a new Whirlpool, the showroom guy says Rs 700. I say fine; a day later the scrap guy calls up on behalf of showroom & says Rs 600; I go mad & call up the dealer guy. Finally they agree for Rs 700. Meanwhile the new one is dumped into our home.

Now I casually visit a local WM repairing guy & ask him how much he would sell an used automatic WM for? He says about Rs 1500. So I say, I've one to sell & if he's interested. He comes has a look & quotes Rs 1000. I say fine. Next day he comes & says he requested for Rs 900. I was confident enough now & wanted to try with another repair shop as well as yellow pages & I raise the stake to Rs 1500. He was stumbled & I told him, "its already been booked by someone & expecting a token advance". He immediately hands over Rs 500 & takes the WM in next 1 hour paying the remaining Rs 1000.

So my suggestion is - even if you've to run around, do not exchange; the scrap dealer makes a goldmine out of our used products.

Quote:
He also showed me siemens - but they have only 5.5 and 7 Kg models.
What about Whirlpool? Are you not interested? Their service is good.

Quote:
Next week, need to visit some other shop which stocks LG too.
Yes LG direct drive is having some good reviews here; you may want to settle in for them rather than Samsung.

Last edited by aargee : 6th September 2010 at 09:04.
Old 6th September 2010, 14:17   #1287
BHPian

Top Loading Vs Front Loading washing machine, which is good?

I am currently using IFB Front load from last 10 years which is now showing signs of aging with one motor replacement and one control card replacement. I want to decide whether the next WM will be top load or front load.

I asked this question to few people, but everyone prefers whatever they have used. Front loaders are expensive than top loading one. Also, front load detergent is costlier than top load. Top load also offers convinience of not bending or using as laundry bag till you start wash cycle. Somewhere I read that Top load tumbling action (which is around x-horizontal axis) can clean the clothes better than top load.

Any opinions?
Old 6th September 2010, 14:28   #1288
BHPian

^^
Front loader >> top loader
in terms of cleaning, water consumption, electricty consumption
Old 6th September 2010, 14:47   #1289
BANNED

I think at the end of the day all three technologies - front loading, top loading and twin tub have their plus and minus points. Europe is front loader territory, US top loader land, and Japan twin tub country. Take your pick!

We have been on front loaders ever since we graduated from Lassi Makers!
Old 6th September 2010, 15:30   #1290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
^^
Front loader >> top loader
in terms of cleaning, water consumption, electricty consumption
I'm taking it here that, front loader consumes less water & more electricity than top loading machines.

Last month we were astonished to see the power consumption of front loading on LG 5.5 Kg to be somewhere around 1100 watts compared to Whirlpool's top loading 8 Kg around 550 watts.

Water consumption wise, front loading takes 30 lts compared to top loading 80-90 lts of water

Cleaning wise, I'm not sure which one does the best job.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks