Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2010, 16:03   #1126
AWD
BHPian

Im planning to buy a plethora of Home appliances:

Microwave: For Non veg. cooking. Now Microwaves come with Grill & Convection, what out of these two is required for Non-veg cooking? Ive heard Convection is useful for Baking, which is not my priority but if it aids in Non-Veg cooking, I can go in for it.
Please suggest some good Make & model, I would be avoiding Indian makes.

Budget< 7k.

OTG: Again for Non-Veg food. Actually I think only Grill would be useful for Non-Veg cooking but do we get only Grills & does Toaster, Oven help in Non-Veg cooking?

Please suggest some good makes & models, again would be avoiding Indian makes.

Budget < 4k.

Juicer Mixer Grinder: For Milk shakes(Coffee, Mango,etc). I think only Mixer would be required for this purpose but do we get only Mixer models?
The mixer should crush ice too easily.

Suggest some good model & make, International brands preferred.

Budget < 5k.

Coffee machine: For hot coffee. Do we need a specific grinder for crushing beans or only a filter would suffice?

Please suggest some models & makes.

Budget - cheaper models.
Old 8th August 2010, 17:43   #1127
Senior - BHPian

@sgiitk sir, shamanth & Raccoon - Thanks to all of you, we finally paid for a new washing machine today. You'll be surprised to know what I bought which is altogether a twist!!!

We went to Shah's, got all the info on 3 models of LG 5.5 front loading, happy with price & we finally decided to inquire the price at one more store & that was when Whirlpool Pro Magic struck my Wifey's eyes. She was startled to hear the rock bottom prices & she wanted a 8Kg one which costs less than LG's direct drive model.

We went to one more store & the prices were almost the same. So we came back to Shah's & booked the Whirlpool 8 KG. This is the one we bought.

From my Wifey's point of view, she needed bigger capacity; the time consumption on front loading was more than top loading due to the additional wash & rinse cycle
To me, the power consumption of LG was atleast 2 folds compared to Whirlpool

Lesson learned - Never take ladies when you finalized to buy something
Old 8th August 2010, 20:36   #1128
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupam View Post
how much did I pay?..I dont have the official invoice yet so will disclose the damage a little later
Strange that you purchased this without even knowing the price.

Quote:
this machine has been bought directly from thier warehouse here in Pune as the machine is not launched as yet and is still a prototype, very likely that the dealers will not have no clue of it, nonetheless it carries the standard warranty and assurance from the manufacturer that they will sort out any complications if so happens
In normal parlance, a prototype is a model, something which is made to test performance ofa yet to be launched product.

So, you have volunteered to be a guinea pig.

Quote:
as for problems in the coming days, all I can say is that I am going in good faith and let's see what happens
I am sure that you will be 100% satisfied with it, and you will face no problems whatsoever. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupam View Post
check Panasonic and other Japanese brands, specially panasonic have been globally famous for thier top notch top loaders, I have been seeing them since I was a kid, those days people used to get it from abroad and even the semi-auto twin tub was a status symbol, I don't think full auto had arrived by then
Yes, please do consider other brands. But I would not touch a panasonic. I got a mixer grinder from tham about one and half years back. My mistake was not to start using it till another 3 months after purchase (the one in use was slowly giving up, and I purchased this one anticipating a breakdown). The machine I got, some "300" thing, is most powerful one, but it neither grinds, nor mixes. Just an expensive decorative item in the Kitchen.

Reason I cannot raise a ruckus is that the bill and carton were damaged by termites when I kept in storage.

And I simply have no energy to spend on an item which costs less than 3K when purchased from other brands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Microwave: For Non veg. cooking. Now Microwaves come with Grill & Convection, what out of these two is required for Non-veg cooking?
Please go through a few of the previous pages. There is an extensive discussion on the topic of Grill Vs. convection etc. on microwaves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
We went to Shah's, got all the info on 3 models of LG 5.5 front loading, happy with price & we finally decided to inquire the price at one more store & that was when Whirlpool Pro Magic struck my Wifey's eyes. She was startled to hear the rock bottom prices & she wanted a 8Kg one which costs less than LG's direct drive model.
There are front loaders in the 7Kg capacity range.

Quote:
To me, the power consumption of LG was atleast 2 folds compared to Whirlpool
Did you mean what you say? You are implying that a 5.5 Kg front loader consumes twice power of an 8 Kg top loader.

Quote:
Lesson learned - Never take ladies when you finalized to buy something
Yeh??? And take the flak after reaching home??? For rest of lifetime of the product?? huh?
Old 9th August 2010, 00:40   #1129
Distinguished - BHPian

This LG direct-drive business: it's different, is it better?

Even thought it would not stop me buying LG, I have the feeling that this is a gimmick they are selling us, and one that fixes problems that were never there.
Old 9th August 2010, 01:11   #1130
Senior - BHPian

Well for one it does away with the belt and pulley drive. so If you want a quieter machine this is it.
Old 9th August 2010, 01:43   #1131
Distinguished - BHPian

That is what LG claim, that it makes it quieter, but does it?
Old 9th August 2010, 07:04   #1132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackSeatDriver
There are front loaders in the 7Kg capacity range.
Right, but they come with price tag on my budget of decent ICE+upholstery; I'm glad that Wifey was also against in putting such huge amount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackSeatDriver
Did you mean what you say? You are implying that a 5.5 Kg front loader consumes twice power of an 8 Kg top loader.
Power consumption of LG direct drive = 1150W (approx) compared to Whirlpool 550W (on the spec)

I seriously wanted to buy LG, atleast for their good support, but then we've Whirlpool refrigerator for which we hardly require any service & last time when we called, I remember them saying 2 days to show up the face, but then they came promptly & we didn't have to remind them. I hope they keep the same standards for their washing machine too.

@Thad - if you ever need good explanation on LG direct drive, go to Shah's Anna Nagar, the rep for LG is quite knowledgeable & knows what he speaks, most importantly, he didn't try to push for any product. Though Wifey was biased towards LG, he kept telling the pros & cons of both the models & infact he was the person to state the lower power consumption on top loaders.
Old 9th August 2010, 08:58   #1133
BHPian

After a lot of discussions on buying an Oven and its usage, settled for a Pigeon Induction Stove.

Bought the RapidoPlus model on a combo offer for ~3.4k, which included a steel bottom 3 litre pressure cooker and a big steel pan. Wasnt intended to buy the recent one which had touchpad, better off with regular buttons. Got this from a Pigeon outlet with one year warranty on everything (including the ceramic plate).

Got the model home on saturday and could see the impact in just one day - cooking has never been faster.
Old 9th August 2010, 16:34   #1134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Yes it does - certainly quieter - not sure about too much more than that though!
Old 9th August 2010, 17:02   #1135
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for that advise aargee: it is rather far from my home, although we do visit Shennoy Nagar regularly.
Old 9th August 2010, 17:02   #1136
BANNED

Quote:
Quote:
This LG direct-drive business: it's different, is it better?

Even thought it would not stop me buying LG, I have the feeling that this is a gimmick they are selling us, and one that fixes problems that were never there.

At least, this LG "direct drive is quiter" thingie is certified by none other than TheOne and the Yeti. I guess we cannot ask for better credentials.

The typical washing machine has a washing drum, with a pulley on the other side, connected to the motor using a belt, and the whole apparatus is balanced by a counter weight. Apple, the computer company, has a dictum - every moving part adds to a possible cause for a mechanical failure. I agree with apple here.

And in reality, IFB, at least recently has screwed up things with their poor quality products. The pulley - drum - counter weight thingie has to be balanced using shock absorbers, and things go really bad here.
Old 9th August 2010, 17:21   #1137
Team-BHP Support

Dancing washing machine issue resolved

I've mentioned multiple times on this thread about my IFB front loading WM which danced its way to glory. I always attributed it to the machine's fault, and tried the means i could to stop it in its tracks, but to no avail.

We shifted to our new house, and the machine is now allocated its place in teh kitchen utlity area which has rough/anti-skid tiles for flooring. The machine hasnt danced since, despite some heavy washing loads it was subject to!

Looks like it was the smooth flooring in the old house which resulted in lack of grip, since the machine was placed in the 2nd bedroom with the pipe leading to the tap in the washroom.

All's well that ends well.
Old 9th August 2010, 17:35   #1138
Senior - BHPian

Benny
That happened because of uneven floor surface. Some machines are really sensitive.
IFB has adjustable legs, i think.
Old 9th August 2010, 17:44   #1139
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Any reviews on a sub 20k, 240-280L two door refrigerator please.

My parents 14 year old BPL has stopped cooling since morning.
If it does not get back online by evening, I need to buy a new fridge.

Found the Samsung RT26Z to be a good choice.
Compare India gives its price at 15k.

Any other suggestions most welcome.
Thanks,
I had asked that in Sept 09.
The fridge came back to life and slogged for another year. It died or rather went into coma twice in between. No response for a day then suddenly start working fine.
This time when it went to sleep, I managed to convince my dad to let it go.

They picked up a 280L Refrigerator - RT29CD - Frost Free - Refrigerator | SAMSUNG
Quote:
280L Refrigerator
5 Star Rating
New Frrrunch Box
Fresh Veggie Zone
Stabilizer Free Operation
They buy the fridge and get home. Switch the old one on and it starts working again.
Anyways the new fridge was supposed to rest for a day. Expecting the service guy from Croma to come over today and switch this on.
Remembered the advice, that a fridge should be switched on after 24 hours of rest. So that the air bubbles due to transport are settled.

Price was Rs 19,500. The old fridge got around Rs 800 in exchange. Plus a Croma table fan free.
Old 9th August 2010, 17:45   #1140
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Benny
That happened because of uneven floor surface. Some machines are really sensitive.
IFB has adjustable legs, i think.
Yes, Prajesh. When the machine was first installed, it was perfect. Over a period of time, the legs lost the alignment, and the dancing was observed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks