Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2010, 00:27   #1096
Senior - BHPian

All 3 of your opinions cannot go wrong & both of your opinions are valuable to me; its more than done now. Having experienced the good service for my LG LCD, I'm in for LG products again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon
I still don't know why people emphasize on service
Reason is simple. I don't care when my Rx breaks down. Why? I know how to fix it upside down. But when it comes to WM & when you have 2 people yelling (Mother & Wifey, in my case, more of my Mother's ranting ), I cannot hear it & finally it will end up pointing at me who has bought it in first place. Besides no one can guarantee (especially in India) that an appliance will not break down unless it is embossed with "Made in Germany" or "Made in Japan". Cutting it short, in India we're bound to live with this, atleast one consolation is the service person should attend when called.

Last edited by aargee : 3rd August 2010 at 00:28.
Old 3rd August 2010, 00:40   #1097
Senior - BHPian

To be entirely fair about IFB, our experience with their service wasn't bad (here in Poona at least), though I can't say it was fantastic either, depending on how your look at it. This is with regards to the only IFB product that we have had - their dishwasher. In short, the thing stopped washing well, their service guys could not find out why, despite a dozen attempts, even by their senior personnel (the junior technicians were really not competent). In the end the company did replace it. But it did cause a great deal of inconvenience in the interim.

Keeping fingers crossed as to how long it will last. A new product breaking down like that does not inspire much confidence.

And yes, the "Made in India" and "Made in China" labels are still quite far from inspiring much confidence either... sigh!

Last edited by Raccoon : 3rd August 2010 at 00:46.
Old 3rd August 2010, 01:51   #1099
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post

That said, after much deliberation, decided to settle for LG MC-7148MS microwave (with grill & convection, 21 litres).....

......Unfortunately, the min. size was 28 litres, so decided against it.
We've been in exactly the same spot while shopping for ours. Onida Black Beauty was, well, beautiful. And I did like its knob, made it sound sophisticated. But then lack of confidence in the brand drove us away.

And then IFB was strictly a no-no. Countless of negative service reviews didn't inspire any more confidence than Onida.

We were left with Samsung and LG. While the Samsung dealer advertised the enamel coating as a feature, the LG salesman said, "LG Microwaves come with stainless steel which is better than our competitor's as they come with a ceramic coating. Stainless steel reflects microwaves better." It was obvious who was right, though.

Finally settled for this- LG MC-7647UL. The pic doesn't do justice to its looks though, or maybe they've updated the design. And yeah, it's got tiny LEDs on top corners of every button, guiding you what to do next.
Old 3rd August 2010, 03:19   #1100
Distinguished - BHPian

General question, nothing specific in mind, but how is the reputation of Godrej for household appliances?
Old 3rd August 2010, 09:05   #1101
Senior - BHPian

Godrej - will be my first consideration for refrigerators. And I have a very good top loader washing machine - donated to my sister.

Problem is - they do not have much of a choice when it comes to products. IIRC their site lists only 2 washing machines right now.
Old 3rd August 2010, 09:14   #1102
Senior - BHPian

Godrej have a good reputation for refrigerators, mine lasted for a decade without any major issues.

But had got their washing machines and it was issue proned, every couple of months something would break down. Disposed the same within warranty period and switched to Whirlpool for Washing machine.
Old 3rd August 2010, 10:25   #1103
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the feedback. I don't see limited range to be an issue, as long as one can get the required function. LG seems to go to opposite extreme and produce dozens of washing machines!
Old 3rd August 2010, 13:20   #1104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
We've been in exactly the same spot while shopping for ours. Onida Black Beauty was, well, beautiful. And I did like its knob, made it sound sophisticated. But then lack of confidence in the brand drove us away.

And then IFB was strictly a no-no. Countless of negative service reviews didn't inspire any more confidence than Onida.

We were left with Samsung and LG. While the Samsung dealer advertised the enamel coating as a feature, the LG salesman said, "LG Microwaves come with stainless steel which is better than our competitor's as they come with a ceramic coating. Stainless steel reflects microwaves better." It was obvious who was right, though.

Finally settled for this- LG MC-7647UL. The pic doesn't do justice to its looks though, or maybe they've updated the design. And yeah, it's got tiny LEDs on top corners of every button, guiding you what to do next.
Hmm... even that model looks what you can call nice/decent, but the Onida looks striking and different. One of the factors that put me off the Onida were few hairline scratches in the interior. But then what I saw was a demo/display piece. The LG demo piece was without any visible flaws. The shopkeeper said he could not guarantee if a box packed Onida would be without similar scratches. So decided not to risk it. Also our Onida tv (Oxygen Thunder) developed issues, and to make a long story short, was replaced by Onida (some 2 - 3 years ago). Been working ok since then, but the button (replaced twice), remote (made by iBall!! ), etc., do not inspire confidence at all. So I have mixed feelings about the company. The caliber of the Onida tv service guys was one of the worst I'v experienced. In fact they actually ruined the thing until the company had to replace it.

Btw, what is better? Ceramic enamel or stainless? And in what way? In the looks dept. the ceramic coating wins, IMO.

Lastly, whats this "multi cook tawa" in your model?

Last edited by Raccoon : 3rd August 2010 at 13:21.
Old 3rd August 2010, 13:44   #1105
BHPian

Quote:

Btw, what is better? Ceramic enamel or stainless? And in what way? In the looks dept. the ceramic coating wins, IMO.
Seeing that stainless steel is the standard on most microwaves, and that Samsung advertises it as a feature, it must be better. It's definitely more scratch resistant, Samsung shops have this thing with two circular plates, one of stainless steel and the other of metal, with a pointed metal rod (About 6 inches) and you can try to scratch both plates. The ceramic plate had far less scratches.

Quote:

Lastly, whats this "multi cook tawa" in your model?
Nothing half as fancy as the name. :P. Only a non-stick tawa that can be used in microwaves. I've only used it to make Alu Tikkis.
Old 3rd August 2010, 13:53   #1106
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Oh, is it? Thats very interesting! Wish I had seen/known that ceramic is so scratch resistant, I might have settled for the Samsung. In fact I almost did, if it weren't for the size. Still, we can't know how the ceramic will fare in the long term.
Old 3rd August 2010, 20:20   #1107
BHPian

Quote:
Still, we can't know how the ceramic will fare in the long term.
Right you are there. And a few scratches in the interior don't hurt either.
Old 4th August 2010, 01:32   #1108
Senior - BHPian

Dunno about you, but I can't stand scratches anywhere. If I had known earlier, I'd probably have been sold on the Samsung.

Come to think of it, if that ceramic enamel is indeed more scratch resistant than even stainless steel, then how cool it wold be to have it on our bikes/cars?

From the samsung site:

Quote:
Enjoy a hygienic and durable surface for cooking.
An exceptionally smooth Ceramic Enamel interior allows grease and oil to be easily removed from the inside walls. This unique surface prevents surface discolouration, even after extensive use.
Due to its durability and protective qualities, Samsung Ceramic Enamel cavity is far more scratch resistant than other microwave interiors. When scratched with equal force, the roughness of the Ceramic Enamel surface increases only 7.5% compared to 106% from conventional stainless steel.
Old 4th August 2010, 02:14   #1109
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
When scratched with equal force, the roughness of the Ceramic Enamel surface increases only 7.5% compared to 106% from conventional stainless steel.
Does that sound to anybody else like somebody in marketing made it up?
Old 4th August 2010, 12:30   #1110
Senior - BHPian

^^^For all we know it could be a gimmick. But at least I could not find any evidence to the contrary. There don't seem to be any reviews either. So who knows?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks