Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2011, 16:26   #1846
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Belkin: Belkin : Power

There is another GM - not General Motors. A logo with red background and GM in caps on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
Can't comment about others in the market, but I have a Belkin. Can't recall the exact model, but it's the cheapest Belkin power strip available. Got it for some Rs. 600. Although I'm reasonably sure you'll find it for 100-200 bucks less.

Haven't had any issues with it till now, although I use it on my UPS output. [Only two outputs from the UPS and 10 devices to run, chargers, modem etc]
Thanks guys. Will pickup on Belkin and one GM for the house.
Old 7th January 2011, 17:03   #1847
BHPian

Strongly recommend Belkin.

I use the power strip to connect the LCD TV, PS3, DISH TV, Audio System & DVD player. Had a power surge & the strip saved all the devices. Now for the best part - got free replacement as it has life time warranty. No questions asked.

best regards

Vaseem
Old 7th January 2011, 20:01   #1848
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
heating to 90-95 deg C for better cleaning of cottons.
Absolutely not needed for cleansing, but effective at killing just about all germs. Good for non-disposable nappies --- and stuff like that.
Quote:
Strongly recommend Belkin. ... got free replacement as it has life time warranty. No questions asked.
Feedback like that is really useful, and really good for the company too. Having heard of a company doing that makes me much more likely to buy the product. Thanks.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 7th January 2011 at 20:03.
Old 7th January 2011, 21:58   #1849
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

I haven't used a surge protector ever in the last 20 years - I haven't had any problems.
Maybe there aren't much surges in Bombay. Also don't most appliance have built in surge protectors?
Old 10th January 2011, 11:07   #1850
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenMonk View Post
Since you mentioned "baby" you may consider one that has heating to 90-95 deg C for better cleaning of cottons. I think (only) front-loaders have this, and are more efficient as the amount of water used for the wash-cycle is less.

After lot of convincing, wifey finally is considering F8068LDP front loading machine.
now my friend, who quoted 17.7k has informed that the prices have fallen and has suggested to wait for few days. most probably the fall is of 500-700 bucks.

visited lg showroon and vijay sales in baner. Both were quoting 20.xK and only vijay sales offering 0% with processing charges
Also saw some 7kg model of samsung priced at 30k.
(another one at 33k with some food processor. siemens was bit costlier than samung. didnt bother about others).
Roughly there is difference of 6-8k between lg and samsung machines.
I wasnt able to get a demo of either machines, so i am not sure how both fare against each other.

now, i am trying to check if i can get a good deal for 6-6.5-7kg one.
but again convincing wifey to spend 25+k, is surely not going to be easy.
Old 10th January 2011, 11:10   #1851
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Can someone suggest a plain simple microwave.

It should be simple to use, no grill or convection needed.
Usage is only for reheating food.

Preference is for reliability and speed of reheating.

Thanks,
Bought Onida POWER SOLO 17 DIGITAL for Rs 3,200.

I like it. The build quality is nice and I like the dial for selecting the options.
Has multiple power modes and can choose time for cooking based on the weight of the items.
Old 10th January 2011, 16:45   #1852
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Feedback like that is really useful, and really good for the company too. Having heard of a company doing that makes me much more likely to buy the product. Thanks.

you are welcome

not all their products have lifetime replacement warranties, it is usually for a minimum of three years.

what really impressed me was that no questions were asked, i sent my office boy with the invoice and defective product and he was back with the replacement in two hours.

regards

vaseem
Old 10th January 2011, 16:50   #1853
Distinguished - BHPian

It is possible that that might as much about your retailer as about Belkin. Maybe we should include them in the praise
Old 10th January 2011, 17:08   #1854
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It is possible that that might as much about your retailer as about Belkin. Maybe we should include them in the praise
Let me clarify - the retailer ( Reliance Digital ) did not want to touch the defective powerstrip with a barge pole, all they did was give the call centre number.

regards

vaseem
Old 10th January 2011, 17:31   #1855
Senior - BHPian

@vaseem, can you share the call center number. My belkin laptop cooler is kinda making weird noises these days.
Old 10th January 2011, 20:14   #1856
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I haven't used a surge protector ever in the last 20 years - I haven't had any problems.
Maybe there aren't much surges in Bombay. Also don't most appliance have built in surge protectors?
You are lucky. BTW many people buy their first after they have suffered the "first shock". The in built protectors protects against fluctuations with in a specified limit but not surges. Let me assure you that in case you have surge then more than one of your item will go off road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
@vaseem, can you share the call center number. My belkin laptop cooler is kinda making weird noises these days.
Looks like it has gathered dust and the motor needs servicing.
Old 10th January 2011, 20:35   #1857
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetans View Post
After lot of convincing, wifey finally is considering F8068LDP front loading machine.
now my friend, who quoted 17.7k has informed that the prices have fallen and has suggested to wait for few days. most probably the fall is of 500-700 bucks
The drum on the F8068LDP looks smaller than the Siemens WM2020 that we owned previously, though both are rated at 5.5 kg. The cleaning is far superior with the LG, maybe because it is new. 17.7k is a great price... the Siemens WM2020 was purchased at 18k over 10 years ago, so the prices have actually fallen in real terms.

I really wonder what the difference is between a 5.5 kg and 6.5 (or 7) kg machine. I too had settled on the F8068LDP because of the price.
Old 10th January 2011, 22:13   #1858
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaseem View Post
Let me clarify - the retailer ( Reliance Digital ) did not want to touch the defective powerstrip with a barge pole, all they did was give the call centre number.
Ah, right... One day, the Indian retail trade might realise that there is more to selling than pocketing the profit margin, but it will take a consumer revolution to make that happen. If the manufacturer-provided support is ok, then ... I supose, it's ok.
Old 11th January 2011, 00:57   #1859
UKR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenMonk View Post
The drum on the F8068LDP looks smaller than the Siemens WM2020 that we owned previously, though both are rated at 5.5 kg. The cleaning is far superior with the LG, maybe because it is new. 17.7k is a great price... the Siemens WM2020 was purchased at 18k over 10 years ago, so the prices have actually fallen in real terms.

I really wonder what the difference is between a 5.5 kg and 6.5 (or 7) kg machine. I too had settled on the F8068LDP because of the price.
That may be because the LG's drum is a bit shallower than usual but larger in diameter. I think that is a better design because the machine looks compact and it gives a better wash.

Regarding the Kg rating, I think the drums are slightly larger to accommodate more clothes and may be the motor is also a bit more powerful to take the higher load.

I did my first batch of clothes on my LG 8068 day before yesterday. The cleaning is top class. Even the shirt collars were cleaned pretty well. The 95 deg hot wash is pretty effective. The operation is very silent and the machine itself is quite stable. The regular cotton cycle takes close to three hours to complete! So I think it better to go with cotton quick or quick 30 program if the clothes are not too soiled.

Last edited by UKR : 11th January 2011 at 00:59.
Old 11th January 2011, 01:17   #1860
Distinguished - BHPian

95 is for things you want sterilized. There should be no need to subject your shirts (or your electricity bill!) to this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks