Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2011, 02:59   #1801
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Leaking microwaves are very dangerous: they cook you!
Old 1st January 2011, 11:01   #1802
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
EDIT : Just found out that an improperly sealed microwave can cause leaking of radiation, which overheats eyes as their temperature is not controlled by the body. This can lead to cataracts in later life.
The most probable leakage part is from the Door that too if it has been tampered with or have had a fall during transit etc.

So unless you are using a MW with its door open (highly improbable) or are standing in the line of sight of leakage, the waves disperse off fast after leaking.
Old 1st January 2011, 12:36   #1803
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
HI Guys,

I'm looking for a fully Auto top loading Washing Machine with a strict budget of 20K. Could you guys please help me out with a good WM with good ***.

Thanks,
Ramki
Guys,

Bought an LG WM Full Auto base model WF-N7069NP for 11.8K at Pai, Rajajinagar. Yet to use the WM and see how it executes. Thanks to team-bhp and bhpians for the knowledge and help.

Cheers,
Ramki
Old 1st January 2011, 14:06   #1804
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Leaking microwaves are very dangerous: they cook you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
The most probable leakage part is from the Door that too if it has been tampered with or have had a fall during transit etc.

So unless you are using a MW with its door open (highly improbable) or are standing in the line of sight of leakage, the waves disperse off fast after leaking.
Hmm. Thanks for the pointer.
-----------------------------------------------------

In other news, our Microwave is finally repaired and functioning properly. The LG guy came two days back, and took 10 minutes to replace the part, and voila ! It's working.

But it would have been better if they had taken less than 40 days to procure the replacement part.
Old 2nd January 2011, 02:00   #1805
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
All that, IMO, is paranoia.

The radiation from microwaves is electromagnetic in nature, just like visible light. It's a lot different from the radiation in a nuclear plant, which is caused by unstable nuclei of the material.

So the radiation is contained in the chamber for the time you're heating the food, and when you've heated it, you've got vibrating water molecules and no harmful radiation. The only radiation it emits is what's emitted by any kind of hot food.

So unless a microwave sprays plutonium on food after heating, I think it's a perfectly safe product, unless one takes it apart and plays with the little thing called 'magnetron'.

EDIT : Just found out that an improperly sealed microwave can cause leaking of radiation, which overheats eyes as their temperature is not controlled by the body. This can lead to cataracts in later life.
Wish it were that simple. The issue is not only about ionizing and non ionizing radiation, but also about the effect it has on food. MWs are reported to destroy nutrients (well, so does heating, but in different way, so its still controversial). Further, they are reported chemically alter food to make it toxic, carcinogenic, yadda, yadda.
Old 2nd January 2011, 04:47   #1806
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Further, they are reported chemically alter food to make it toxic, carcinogenic, yadda, yadda.
Do you have a cite for this?
Old 5th January 2011, 03:23   #1807
Senior - BHPian

^^^Frankly, now I cannot recall where I read it. What I make from it is that it is controversial, hence safer to avoid as much as possible.
Old 5th January 2011, 06:08   #1808
BHPian

http://trusted.md/blog/vreni_gurd/20...#axzz1A7EcirAR

Old 5th January 2011, 10:36   #1809
BHPian

Guys,

Need suggestions on buying fully automatic top loading washing machine.

Basically the idea is to dump clothes for washing and forget it till we return home after work

the other requirement is that the machine should be silent.
i hate the noise of my old semi-automatic machine :(

planning to invest around 15k-20k, but the lesser the better.
Old 5th January 2011, 11:04   #1810
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetans View Post
Guys,

Need suggestions on buying fully automatic top loading washing machine.

Basically the idea is to dump clothes for washing and forget it till we return home after work

the other requirement is that the machine should be silent.
i hate the noise of my old semi-automatic machine :(

planning to invest around 15k-20k, but the lesser the better.
Why not a fully automatic front load?
In my IFB, I can start the machine and set it to stop at last spin dry mode, so that the clothes do not wrinckle. Then when we have time we finish the cycle and dry the clothes.
Added advantage is that you get a 95 degree hot wash, not available in most top loaders. This is useful for cleaning towels and other highly soiled clothes. For curtains we use pre wash to get rid of the accumulated dust. On top of that front loaders use less water.
Old 5th January 2011, 11:14   #1811
BHPian

@chethans -

Front loading machines are more silent than top loading machines.

Top loading - whirlpool is good but as I told you, it will make some noise.
Old 5th January 2011, 11:29   #1812
BHPian

but arent the front loading one costlier than 20k?
somehow my brain is stuck at 20k
i can stretch atmost to 25k in case someone can convince me that front load ones are vfm.
Old 5th January 2011, 11:38   #1813
BHPian

Quote:
Wish it were that simple. The issue is not only about ionizing and non ionizing radiation, but also about the effect it has on food. MWs are reported to destroy nutrients (well, so does heating, but in different way, so its still controversial). Further, they are reported chemically alter food to make it toxic, carcinogenic, yadda, yadda.
Also read some where that cooking with microwave destroys the anti-oxidants in the food. The absence of anti-oxidants can cause cancer.
Old 5th January 2011, 11:47   #1814
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nutrients are the best when the food is not cooked at all. Unfortunately so is the case with harmful organisms. So we have to to take a choice here. Not sure what difference MW has viz-a-viz regular stove-top cooking.

Regarding radiations, I think mobile towers and phones are much more dangerous than the ones from MWs. And Microwaves are typically line-of-sight (remembering from my engg classes) and may not create that much of a problem unless you go and stand in front of it.
Old 5th January 2011, 11:59   #1815
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Nutrients are the best when the food is not cooked at all. Unfortunately so is the case with harmful organisms. So we have to to take a choice here. Not sure what difference MW has viz-a-viz regular stove-top cooking.

Regarding radiations, I think mobile towers and phones are much more dangerous than the ones from MWs. And Microwaves are typically line-of-sight (remembering from my engg classes) and may not create that much of a problem unless you go and stand in front of it.
Does that mean you should not stand in front of an operating microwave oven?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks