Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2010, 03:10   #1771
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
For anybody contemplating a LG appliance, here's a sad story we're going through right now.

The control panel of our microwave oven [7647UL] conked off...
Sorry to hear that. Incidentally, a friend told me his woes about his LG Microwave - the touch panel keeps conking off. Now I'm scared about my touch panel LG MW.

How long did yours last before conking off?
Old 25th December 2010, 03:40   #1772
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaeJay View Post
I need to replace a 1.5 t window ( Hitachi). Going for a split. suggestions please! Ty!
I think you should certainly consider Onida 1.5t Split

I am happy with my onida 1.0 t split unit, and my parents use 1.5t samsung split still i praise my onida for more calm and efficient.
Old 25th December 2010, 04:12   #1773
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I need to replace a 1.5 t window ( Hitachi). Going for a split. suggestions please! Ty!
You have not specified your budget. You could look at Panasonic, Whirlpool and Mitsubishi Electric for great performance at a lower price point than Hitachi.

If you want to move up on the scale then General by Fujitsu and Daikin are the obvious choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post

I am happy with my onida 1.0 t split unit, and my parents use 1.5t samsung split still i praise my onida for more calm and efficient.
ghpk, you have been very lucky with onida. There are too may sob stories related to this brand across its product range and A.S.S. You could call it the Skoda of home Appliances.
Old 25th December 2010, 09:14   #1774
Team-BHP Support

Can someone suggest a plain simple microwave.

It should be simple to use, no grill or convection needed.
Usage is only for reheating food.

Preference is for reliability and speed of reheating.

Thanks,
Old 25th December 2010, 09:22   #1775
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post

Thanks,
Kenstar has one for around 3000-4000 Rs.
When chosing a microwave, I suggest take the plates or bowls you will commonly use for reheating & see if the microwave is big enough to accomodate it. That & price are my only criteria for chosing a microwave.
carboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2010, 11:31   #1776
Team-BHP Support

that is such a simple but superb advice.
thanks
Old 25th December 2010, 16:41   #1777
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks,
LG has a basic oven with dial type knobs. Should be reliable. I'v even seen it in couple of bakeries.

I'd go for that one instead of a Kenstar.
Old 25th December 2010, 17:32   #1778
Distinguished - BHPian

So would I. My experience with Kenstar is not good. One broken mixie, one broken microwave, both after only a couple of years.
Old 25th December 2010, 17:49   #1779
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
LG has a basic oven with dial type knobs. Should be reliable. I'v even seen it in couple of bakeries.
I would not go for LG MW. I have seen a lot of these failing with my friends. For MW Samsung is much better. I have 2 and the older one is more than 6 years old and still going strong.
Old 25th December 2010, 22:42   #1780
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks,
Samsung has a solo one around 3.5K - 3.7K
or if you wish you can go for Koryo from bigbazaar which has solo for under 2.5K, I think you can go with koryo as its used at one of my relatives and is good after one year of regular use.

Yesterday i almost bought samsung microwave(don't remember model number) from NEXT showroom but before payment found the TOP of unit was damaged and had a huge dent, as the showroom didn't had another unit i left.
it was MRP. Rs.4990, Was getting it on Rs.4600
Old 26th December 2010, 00:37   #1781
Senior - BHPian

^^^Koryo does not have good reviews at all. The only thing tempting is the price. But then in these things, it seems luck is more important. Once might even get a trouble-free piece from such a brand and have issues with one from a bigger brand. So if you want to make an informed decision it all boils down to probabilities...

Also, what about the safety factor with such brands? Are they tested for leakage, etc? Personally, I'd be inclined to trust Samsung or LG more than pure Chinese stuff like Koryo.

Panasonic would be worth looking at too. Don't know if they have a basic model though.

Last edited by Raccoon : 26th December 2010 at 00:39.
Old 26th December 2010, 02:13   #1782
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Sorry to hear that. Incidentally, a friend told me his woes about his LG Microwave - the touch panel keeps conking off. Now I'm scared about my touch panel LG MW.

How long did yours last before conking off?
Keeps conking off ? Maybe we should ask them to get 10 of those panels (one for each year) in case they are unable to source it in the future. The microwave was brought on 15th Jan, 2010.

However, after repeated pestering, our complaint has reached some people higher-up, and now things look bright. They've assured us a Tuesday/Wednesday replacement.

Thanks for the concern.

Last edited by anku94 : 26th December 2010 at 02:15.
Old 26th December 2010, 06:46   #1783
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post

Thanks Ghpk. Any particular model I should look out for? Any idea about the price? I do have a samsung 1.5 split, feel the filters are not very effective apart from that its ok. There was some difficulty in getting amc after the first year.
Old 26th December 2010, 06:51   #1784
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
So would I. My experience with Kenstar is not good. One broken mixie, one broken microwave, both after only a couple of years.
+1

The mixie came with the microwave. They have a problem with the jar. hardly used it. Our microwave has seen a little bit of cooking probably the first 2 years after that its was mostly used for heating food. But this is the first time it has gone dead. My friend has the same model and he has got it repaired quite a few times. Its almost 10 years so i guess I shouldn't be complaining
Old 26th December 2010, 11:54   #1785
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash View Post
Hi,
I am looking at vendors for getting modular kitchen cabinets & trolleys.

I looked few vendors who import the shutter but manufacture other parts in Bangalore itself and they are 40% cheaper than complete imports like Bernolis.

If anyone has any experience with either in terms of quality, price & service, do let me know. Also if you have any other recommendations.
One of our friends went for Godrej. The have excellent range and installation. The only down side is that the modules are factory made, and you have to tailor the kitchen to the modules. In this case, they had to break the kitchen slab to accommodate the lower modules.

Most of the higher end modular kitchen manufacturers use German fittings and Indian panels.

Quote:
Try the Hitachi split units. I have one for last three years and they are excellent in Delhi heat. There are various units and the more expensive ones are extremely efficient and quiet.

In case you want to splurge, you can go in for the "Inverter" units. These units cost upward of 45K, but are rugged and consume much less electricity, apart from better cooling. Most major AC manufacturers have these in their range.
One thing you must insist on, that the installation of split units is carried out impeccably, that is the pipes are insulated using foam tubes and not foam strips. The joints are tight and tested before filling with gas. Finally insist that they test the gas pressure after one or two days of running to ensure that there are no leaks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks