Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2011, 14:01   #1816
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetans View Post
but arent the front loading one costlier than 20k?
somehow my brain is stuck at 20k
i can stretch atmost to 25k in case someone can convince me that front load ones are vfm.
I use an IFB front loader. I believe front loading WMs wash more efficiently and are more gentle on cloths. In a top loader cloths rub against the tub a lot. In front loader, cloths move with the tub/drum and fall down when the tub rotation has reached about 3/4th up. Hope my explanation is clear.
Old 5th January 2011, 14:11   #1817
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Does that mean you should not stand in front of an operating microwave oven?
Ideally, yes, you should not stand in front of the MW, thats why its totally forbidden for expecting ladies to operate a MW.

Typical levels of radiation leakage from microwave is about 0.2 mW/cm(2) and most health departments have prescribed limits for leakage for their country for a MW to be sold in the market, I dont think we have any such thing here.
Old 5th January 2011, 16:36   #1818
BANNED

Quote:
but arent the front loading one costlier than 20k?
somehow my brain is stuck at 20k
i can stretch atmost to 25k in case someone can convince me that front load ones are vfm.
Have been using top loaders for 10 years now without any issues. Though I have never tried it with really dirty clothes, for normal stuff, it's more than sufficient.

Other points of comparison.

Front loader better
- Front loaders consume less electricity & less water
continuous cycle.
- Front loaders are gentler on your clothes than top loaders.

Top Loader better
- Front loaders are more expensive
- Top Loaders can use almost any detergent(I use the regular Tide which is used for hand washes). Front loaders are a little more picky about detergents.
- If you have powers cuts then, top loaders are better because they can be stopped & restarted anytime during the cycle. Front loaders door can't be opened once the cycle is started.
- You need to bend down for a front loader.
Old 5th January 2011, 17:07   #1819
BHPian

@carboy: Thanks for finer points.

Well i am going with top loaders. And my budget looks healthy
As per my readings here, are lg and whirlpool the favourites?

Can anyone suggest specific model nos ?
Old 5th January 2011, 17:42   #1820
BHPian

Quote:

I am using a samsung one with 6.5 kgs capacity from last 2 years. It does its job pretty well. Mind you ,we use this machine almost daily and results are good in terms of clean clothes.
Old 5th January 2011, 17:43   #1821
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Ideally, yes, you should not stand in front of the MW, thats why its totally forbidden for expecting ladies to operate a MW.
I never heard that before!

Whilst I sometimes watch to see if a small quantity of liquid has come to the boil, I wouldn't recommend being that close to a mw oven. They are supposed to be designed so that there is no leakage at all, but why take the chance.

Anyway, part of the advantage of the microwave is that it is working on its timer, while we do something else. We don't need to stand over it: it will beep when it wants us!
Old 5th January 2011, 18:19   #1822
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I never heard that before!

Whilst I sometimes watch to see if a small quantity of liquid has come to the boil, I wouldn't recommend being that close to a mw oven. They are supposed to be designed so that there is no leakage at all, but why take the chance.

Anyway, part of the advantage of the microwave is that it is working on its timer, while we do something else. We don't need to stand over it: it will beep when it wants us!
Its very common suggestion in Indian homes for expecting ladies by their parents etc. but you are right as long as they are not leaking it doesnt cause any harm BUT if it is, it can cause the fetal tissue to heat up resulting in biological disorders.
Old 5th January 2011, 18:50   #1823
Senior - BHPian

What is the best brand of power strip available in India (with surge protection?)

I recently tried the ones in my house (Chinese made) and they were so bad that the standard power plug would not fit properly. I cannot believe how they could get the basic dimension wrong.

Pic shown is American style, but I need Indian.
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Appliance thread-powerstrip.jpg  

Last edited by Mpower : 5th January 2011 at 18:51.
Old 5th January 2011, 18:54   #1824
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
What is the best brand of power strip available in India (with surge protection?)
Belkin: Belkin : Power

There is another GM - not General Motors. A logo with red background and GM in caps on it.
Old 5th January 2011, 19:41   #1825
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post

I recently tried the ones in my house (Chinese made) and they were so bad that the standard power plug would not fit properly. I cannot believe how they could get the basic dimension wrong.
Can't comment about others in the market, but I have a Belkin. Can't recall the exact model, but it's the cheapest Belkin power strip available. Got it for some Rs. 600. Although I'm reasonably sure you'll find it for 100-200 bucks less.

Haven't had any issues with it till now, although I use it on my UPS output. [Only two outputs from the UPS and 10 devices to run, chargers, modem etc]
Old 5th January 2011, 21:54   #1826
UKR
BHPian

Quote:

I have been using one of the initial models of IFB front loading WM for over 15 years now without any issues. Recently I have bought an LG directdrive 5.5kg front loader for use at my Bangalore home. The IFB is still in use and going strong, but I went for LG since I have heard that IFB models available now are only a shadow of what they used to be 10-15 years ago in terms of quality.

I would strongly suggest you have a look at LG's F8068LDP 5.5kg fully automatic front loader with the latest direct drive technology. The best part of this is the price.

Direct drive motor means that it doesn't employ a belt and pulley to drive the drum resulting in extremely quite operation, in fact it is one of the quietest machines you could find. Another advantage is the reduced power consumption.

The water heater temperature can be adjusted to 30, 40, 60 or 95 Degree Celsius. We can also choose the spin speed from 400, 600 or 800 rpm.

There is a pre wash program in case you want to soak the clothes for some time to loosen up the dirt.

There is something called crease care where by the drum rotates for a few rotations in the opposite direction once the spin cycle is complete there by untangling the clothes there by reducing the crease.

There are eight different wash programs, child lock and time delay setting. Also the motor carries a 10 year warranty.

I don't think there is any advantage to a top loader other than convenience in loading and unloading clothes and the lower price levels at which they are available. Front loaders give a better wash because of the tumble wash which mimics the action of a dhobi washing clothes on a stone. I hope you got what I meant. Also front loaders can be operated in a stop and start scenario like in a power cut and you would be able to open the door if the power goes out contrary to a previous claim. but the only issue is that if we open it in such a scenario, the water would spill out

And the best part as I said is the price. I got it for 18,770 which is well within your budget. To top it off, I got an interest free financing for repaying it in 10 equal installments of 1877 per month for a down payment of only Rs.11/-. The term starts only from Feb. And to sweeten the deal further as if it was not already sweet enough, they also gave Rs.400/- dominos voucher as part of Christmas offer .Overall superb value for money for a front loader built on the latest technology.
Old 5th January 2011, 22:48   #1827
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
Can't comment about others in the market, but I have a Belkin. Can't recall the exact model, but it's the cheapest Belkin power strip available. Got it for some Rs. 600. Although I'm reasonably sure you'll find it for 100-200 bucks less.

Haven't had any issues with it till now, although I use it on my UPS output. [Only two outputs from the UPS and 10 devices to run, chargers, modem etc]

Even I have the same setup but I doubt if the entry level model of Belkin has surge protection. IMO its just a power strip (don't see any fuse). I have seen an expensive model from Belkin, which I believe comes with surge protection. The build quality of Belkin is the best I have seen.

Btw, I am looking for a good power strip with individual switches for all the slots. Belkin doesn't make one and the ones available here all look flimsy.
Old 6th January 2011, 00:51   #1828
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
a good power strip with individual switches for all the slots
I got a couple of four-way strips in Singapore. There they all seem to come with individual switches, maybe part of their regulations. It is the British type 13-amp socket, though, which suits me fine. Most "international" socket strips do not space the sockets sufficiently to put two UK-type plugs side-by-side. Stupid.

I bought one MX strip here, a while back, expecting good quality, but I don't find the contacts good. I find this stuff very frustrating, as regulations regarding this sort of stuff in UK are so strict that it is most unusual to find a socket or strip that doesn't grip well and go on gripping for many, many years!

But hey, it's cold there. I can't have everything I suppose!
Old 6th January 2011, 01:26   #1829
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post

Typical levels of radiation leakage from microwave is about 0.2 mW/cm(2) and most health departments have prescribed limits for leakage for their country for a MW to be sold in the market, I dont think we have any such thing here.
Speaking of Microwaves, some people here call these machines as silent weapons along with the TV etc.
It is best avoided.
Old 6th January 2011, 13:34   #1830
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKR View Post
And the best part as I said is the price. I got it for 18,770 which is well within your budget. To top it off, I got an interest free financing for repaying it in 10 equal installments of 1877 per month for a down payment of only Rs.11/-. The term starts only from Feb. And to sweeten the deal further as if it was not already sweet enough, they also gave Rs.400/- dominos voucher as part of Christmas offer .Overall superb value for money for a front loader built on the latest technology.
looks like good deal.
i am visiting lg showroom today in deccan (pune).
will check the pricing and post details.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks