Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2011, 20:40   #1921
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

^^ Will do, Anku! Forgot to add one more point - the wash quality of front loaders will be better than top loaders, but they will need machine specific detergents (Surf Excelmatic etc) for trouble free operation, unlike top loaders. They will also be gentler on the fabrics because of their unique tumble wash.

Last edited by Gansan : 12th February 2011 at 20:43.
Old 12th February 2011, 21:51   #1922
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
^^ Will do, Anku! Forgot to add one more point - the wash quality of front loaders will be better than top loaders, but they will need machine specific detergents (Surf Excelmatic etc) for trouble free operation, unlike top loaders. They will also be gentler on the fabrics because of their unique tumble wash.
Yes, I read something about that. But my mom sometimes does the laundry outside (like in summers). From what I've heard, a front loader is installed in one place and cannot be moved that easily. Besides, the budget shoots way up with front loaders.
Old 12th February 2011, 23:42   #1923
Distinguished - BHPian

Just picked up a 280 Litre Samsung: 280L Refrigerator - RT29BD - Frost Free - Refrigerator | SAMSUNG

Got it for INR 16,600 all inclusive. Hope that's a good deal.
Old 15th February 2011, 21:00   #1924
Senior - BHPian

Finally zeroed in on good old Whirlpool again and bought the 1-2-3-650 H, a fully automatic top loader. This is the only brand IMO that offers in-built hot water option in top loaders.

Whirlpool India > Products > Washing Machines > Fully Automatic(Top Load)

Paid Rs 16400/- after adjusting Rs 400/- for my kaput machine!
Old 15th February 2011, 22:08   #1925
BHPian

Quote:
Finally zeroed in on good old Whirlpool again and bought the 1-2-3-650 H, a fully automatic top loader. This is the only brand IMO that offers in-built hot water option in top loaders.

Whirlpool India > Products > Washing Machines > Fully Automatic(Top Load)

Paid Rs 16400/- after adjusting Rs 400/- for my kaput machine!
Do post a short review on build quality etc. We also have our eyes on this one.

Other models I shortlisted from internet (Criteria used - not IFB, stainless steel tub, also cheaper models without any extra features were not considered, save one exception):-

Old 15th February 2011, 22:37   #1926
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
Do post a short review on build quality etc. We also have our eyes on this one.
Anku, the build quality is good, but the Samsung and LG models I saw were even better built. They are also feature rich for a slightly lower price. But we figured we should stick with a brand whose core competence was washing machines. That the outgoing machine was also a Whirlpool that we had used for 14 years clinched the matter.

The first wash will be done tomorrow morning, as the machine was installed only at 8.30 PM!
Old 15th February 2011, 23:07   #1927
BHPian

Quote:
Anku, the build quality is good, but the Samsung and LG models I saw were even better built. They are also feature rich for a slightly lower price. But we figured we should stick with a brand whose core competence was washing machines. That the outgoing machine was also a Whirlpool that we had used for 14 years clinched the matter.

The first wash will be done tomorrow morning, as the machine was installed only at 8.30 PM!
Thanks for the quick reply.

So the ball's in mum's court again. Upto her to decide if a heater is really required or not.

Two questions

1. Have you heard anything about the heater's high failure rate ? People've warned my mum about the heater conking off frequently, although I've noticed that in most of the cases, they're quoting fictional sources and have something against newer and better tech.

2. Of the countless features all brands advise, which ones do you think are of utility ? In the excel screenshot I posted above, I've written almost all the features I saw on the websites, but I don't have any clue as to which ones will actually be used/useful.

If we go to the shopkeepers unprepared, the salesmen confuse you by saying anything.

"Ye machine F-16 ke engines ke saath aati hai. Agar aap kis din late uthe, to ismein baith ke button dabaye, aur machine aapko air route se workplace pahuncha degi, aur raaste mein aapke night clothes dho degi aur aapko bhi nehla degi."

Last edited by anku94 : 15th February 2011 at 23:09. Reason: Had to add the headbanging smiley after the salesman's quote. Provides a nice touch.
Old 16th February 2011, 10:59   #1928
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
1. Have you heard anything about the heater's high failure rate ? People've warned my mum about the heater conking off frequently, although I've noticed that in most of the cases, they're quoting fictional sources and have something against newer and better tech.

2. Of the countless features all brands advise, which ones do you think are of utility ? In the excel screenshot I posted above, I've written almost all the features I saw on the websites, but I don't have any clue as to which ones will actually be used/useful.
1. In my twenty years with two front loaders (Sumeet 7 years, IFB 13 years) I have never experienced a heater failure. May be old time machines were more rugged, as the voltage fluctuates a lot in Delhi, but the machine soldiers on. What failed most in both my machines is the main motor, which is either rewound or replaced in AMC.

2. In my experience features that matter most are rugged motor, stainless steel drum and heater. All the other features are secondary in the sense that they contribute very little to a good wash. Most machines have a water level sensor, air dry is a new one to me.
Old 16th February 2011, 11:14   #1929
Senior - BHPian

@anku
The heater in a top loader is a new feature, but it has been available in front loaders for a long time. I have not heard of the element conking out in front loaders, so I don't see why it should in a top loader!

I feel for northern winters heater is very much desirable. It is not really necessary for Chennai on a day to day basis, but will be useful for washing bed spreads, tub cleaning etc. But power consumption for a normal wash will be 0.18 units and for hot wash 2 units, according to the manual.

I agree with Aroy regarding features.
Old 16th February 2011, 11:37   #1930
Senior - BHPian

I agree with Aroy and Gansan regarding the heater. In my 6 years of Whirlpool H65 ownership, till date I haven't experienced the heater failure.

@Gansan,
The heater feature in top loading machines is not new. Its been there for long now. I had brought the Whirlpool H65 since it had this heater feature. This oldie is still going great guns till date although I have been pestered by my wife to go in for a new one, but I am persistent. In 6 ys of ownership I had to call Whirlpool assistance on 4 occassions only which is great by any stds.
Old 17th February 2011, 09:52   #1931
BHPian

Thanks everyone. So my mum's pretty much decided on the 1-2-3h. Will visit some shops in 2-3 days.
Old 24th February 2011, 12:04   #1932
BHPian

as posted earlier, had bought the lg front loader 8068LDP.
The first day of use was misreable.
But now wifey just loves the machine.

To start with, the demo guy finished the demo is very short time and everything looked so easy to wifey.
Then the next day when she started to use with default settings, the machine was working for more than a hour, for very few clothes. Then we decided to skip to spin/dry mode.
But the machine was getting restarted everything. With semi-autos,its very easy to manage rinse and spin. so we even thought like this fully automatic sucks.
tried to read up the manual to understand various setting, but the manual really sucks. it just says what we can see on the machine, atmost.
It never really explains the details of various modes and operations.

called up demo guy to check how to get this done. but he was on leave and that aggrevated the issue.
We had lots of clothes piled up which had to be cleaned the same day. i guess it was sunday, so the urgency.

so we went with default settings and as expected it took few hours to clean all clothes in turns. we were disappointed to see the time taken (compared to semis).

The very next day, wifey was so impressed to see the washing quality that she was all geared up to try the machine again

Then we made use of quick-30 and cotton-30/quick.
That gave us the expected behavior for less clothes.

Then wifey tried the preserve crease (or so) and baby care mode and we really liked to wash quality.

So now we are very much satisfied with machine and importantly the wash quality.
Only had the manual been more instructive...
Old 24th February 2011, 13:46   #1933
Senior - BHPian

^^
Yeah I agree, I have 1068 LDP and was really unhappy about the time taken to wash. If I put it in default mode it takes around 3 hours to finish the cycle. I thought the issue may be due to the tap the machine connected to, flow rate is less compared to other taps in my house. But quick wash mode do the trick for me ;-) and wash quality is better compared to the Whirlpool top loader I had and very silent.

Last edited by Latheesh : 24th February 2011 at 13:47.
Old 24th February 2011, 13:57   #1934
Distinguished - BHPian

Our new LG takes hours on the default cotton wash. The "quick cotton" wash is only an hour or so.
Old 18th March 2011, 22:26   #1935
BHPian

Our 10 year old Microwave died today. I am not keen on fixing it, would like to get a new within a 5k budget. what are the options, brands and features to look for.Would like to pick up on sunday.

Most Viewed