Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2011, 14:46   #1981
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
@Thad:
OT: Knowing your predilection and practise for knives, now I think we all better be nice to you on the forum ;-)

My knives are all carbon (not stainless) steel. That means that they blacken easily (and even rust if left wet), and never shine except when new. You can see a couple of relatively new ones, including one that has never been used and still has its factory-applied grease. They are softer than stainless and take a good edge, but need sharpening more frequently.

You can see that that they have not all been well treated all their lives. recently, I restored some shape to a couple of them by filing and course grinding. Number seven is past ever having a correctly shaped edge again, but please note that it it is around twenty-five years old. It, and the biggest one, are the oldest, and have had the most use over the years. These days I mostly use the two middle-sized ones. The tiny one is good for garlic!

The Home Appliance thread-knives.jpg

I didn't really want more, but had to take something back to the shop, didn't want the same again in replacement, so took a knife instead (number 3, the shiny one). It still has its price label: GBP28 (about Rs.2,000). And these would be at the cheaper end of the pro/speciality knife market!

Hope this is not off-topic for household appliances!
Old 11th April 2011, 09:37   #1982
BANNED

Thad: Most of the better knives are not normal SS as it is too soft.

Many have a rust resistant behaviour (rostfrei in German knives). The alloys are different, and do not have as high a resistance to rust as 304/316 SS.
Old 11th April 2011, 22:09   #1983
BANNED

@rex_varghese and archat68, you guys missed the posts I made subsequently.

That had to be returned after just one wash. I loved the experience with LG's customer care - though the process took close to 3/4 weeks, after the pain I have been enduring with IFB's lemon, it certainly was a better experience.

September 2010 to May 2011 is the longest time our IFB has given us trouble free performance. Except for the racket / audio effects it has been making in the past six months, it was working fine, and even stopped leaking - on its own!!!!

Finally, it started smoking couple of days back. I simply do not have the energy to call up the authorised service center. Instead, have asked for a branded service center for a quote. They want to take it away for making an estimate, and I do not mind it. As far as I am concerned, the machine is (s)crap. If they can repair it for under 2/3 K, I will fix it and keep if as a spare machine.

This also means that I am on look out for a new one. Ladies of the house hold are surprising me by the interest they are showing on LG, washer dryers at that!!!

They are however not too sure on the brand. In no hurry anyway, though we are without a washing machine now. As things stand now, the shoot out is going to be between Siemens and Samsung; with LG remaining a strong contender. Black horse in the pack is Haier - the new kid on block.

We are not too keen on the washer / dryer combo for time being. Plain washing machine will do, seems to be the consensus.

Details later, after the purchase.
Old 11th April 2011, 23:27   #1984
BHPian

Hello team

A few months back, we bought our first new fridge in 20 years (Gee, old appliances do last. Don't they ?). It is a LG 338-VT5 and comes with one of those inbuilt Ice Cube trays which you can just twist to collect the cubes in a jar below the trays.

The thing is, the success rate of cubes falling when you twist the trays varies from 20% to 90%. Is there a some kind of technique to ensure most of the cubes fall easily ?
Old 11th April 2011, 23:47   #1985
BHPian

i want to buy audio system for my bedroom(size 22*12 feet)help me guys which one is to go for..
Old 12th April 2011, 02:24   #1986
Senior - BHPian

Audition a Bose Wave system.
Old 12th April 2011, 09:37   #1987
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
It is a LG 338-VT5 and comes with one of those inbuilt Ice Cube trays which you can just twist to collect the cubes in a jar below the trays.

The thing is, the success rate of cubes falling when you twist the trays varies from 20% to 90%. Is there a some kind of technique to ensure most of the cubes fall easily ?
What i do is, i first unsettle the ice cubes in the box by twisting the tray, and then releasing it. Owing to the spring action, the ice cubes break free in their respective slots. Then twisting them the next time makes them fall into the collecting tray below.

This is how i do it on my Samsung refrigerator at home. I guess LG should be similar?
Old 12th April 2011, 18:59   #1988
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
What i do is, i first unsettle the ice cubes in the box by twisting the tray, and then releasing it. Owing to the spring action, the ice cubes break free in their respective slots. Then twisting them the next time makes them fall into the collecting tray below.

This is how i do it on my Samsung refrigerator at home. I guess LG should be similar?
Yes, LG has a similar system.

I'll give it a try, thanks.
Old 16th April 2011, 18:18   #1989
BHPian

Folks, firstly thanks to many of the posts here - it helped me finalise the washing machine. Got myself an LG FL washing machine (model 1068 LDP) this week.

Another question: the LG technician who had come for the demo suggested we go with a 4yr extended warranty plan. He claimed that if this is purchased now during demo/installation I can avail a 20% discount on the maintenance plan for 4 additional yrs (2 yrs is the standard warranty). Wanted to know if anyone has purchased this and whether it is worthwhile going with it? On the face of it, it sure seemed a good deal considering that if I were to purchase a maintenance plan later, I might be paying more. Btw, the 4 yr additional warranty cost was ~5.2k
Old 17th April 2011, 14:19   #1990
BANNED

1. I was told that the extended warranty can be purchased anytime during duration of the initial warranty. ( am a bit hazy on this though).

2. Dont you think that having to pay close to 1/5 of the machine's price for an extended warranty is too steep?

4. Considering that a normal annual payment AMC would cost between 1.5 to 2 K, the interest - adjusted cost works out to be almost same. (can somebody please do the detailed work out?)

5.2K you pay today is worth approx 6.5K 2 years later at 14% interest (that is the interest you pay when you borrow). Even without interest adjustment, you still have paid @ 1.6K pa for 4 years in advance.
Old 18th April 2011, 11:27   #1991
BHPian

Did some checking later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
1. I was told that the extended warranty can be purchased anytime during duration of the initial warranty. ( am a bit hazy on this though).
Yes it can be. Cost for FL machine is 1450+serv tax

2. Dont you think that having to pay close to 1/5 of the machine's price for an extended warranty is too steep?
Might seem at this stage. Only hitch I fear is that the LG machines seem to have expensive spare parts. This might burn your pockets later, if god forbid some issue crops up. More so, even a simple visit from the service personnel costs 380/-

4. Considering that a normal annual payment AMC would cost between 1.5 to 2 K, the interest - adjusted cost works out to be almost same. (can somebody please do the detailed work out?)
Answered in #1.

5.2K you pay today is worth approx 6.5K 2 years later at 14% interest (that is the interest you pay when you borrow). Even without interest adjustment, you still have paid @ 1.6K pa for 4 years in advance.
I get the point here. Keep in mind that AMC cost could also increase 2 yrs down the line, which is when the 5.2k spent now might work in my favor.

I still havent made a decision on it and am quite confused whether to go ahead and buy it or not!
Old 18th April 2011, 11:38   #1992
BANNED

I have never taken an AMC for my gadgets, One point to bear in mind - breakdowns in the first five years or so are very rare.
Old 18th April 2011, 11:52   #1993
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I have never taken an AMC for my gadgets, One point to bear in mind - breakdowns in the first five years or so are very rare.
Completely agree here, buy it just when its in the last year of warranty or after its over (if they allow you).
Old 18th April 2011, 11:56   #1994
BHPian

I hope LG's track record in the washing machine (FL) space is reliable. I'm beginning to feel I'm probably overtly concerned about this

I guess I'll simply let is pass and just hope it all works out well then
Old 18th April 2011, 14:48   #1995
BANNED

As I wrote earlier we have had an LG front loader for about nine years. Had three occasions to call them - first it was a defective interlock switch for the door, second was noisy bearings, and the third was a blown motor. Each time the came promptly, and new their stuff. the switch was replaced by one from another model (our model was considered obsolete), they took the machine for a couple of days and replaced the bearings. As for the motor they checked on their net, located one in Varanasi, who sent it by courier the same day, and it was replaced the next evening. Cannot ask for moer!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks