Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2022, 18:02   #9481
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

There is a two-pin plug which comes on some stuff that has pins that are just too thin, and a spacing that is just not right. I think it is a European (not UK) standard? Anybody know?
Old 16th May 2022, 18:39   #9482
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
There is a two-pin plug which comes on some stuff that has pins that are just too thin, and a spacing that is just not right. I think it is a European (not UK) standard? Anybody know?
Unsure of the standard but I've noticed them on Chinese and SEA low power items. Earlier, there was no option but to stuff them into normal 2 pin sockets, but now I have a bunch of adapters from Cona that I use. Much safer and better.
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 20:27   #9483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relax&Cruise View Post
Looking at LG / IFB / Bosch, any preferences / experience, please share. Croma sales person said Bosch is not suited for Indian cooking residues and that LG has direct drive which is not so good plus LG is more expensive, as per her advice IFB is the best suited.
If the "IFB is the best suited" comes from them the brand being Indian, it's probably worth noting that the manufacturer is really Vestel, and the machine Turkish.

The BSH ones are also Turkish-made, despite their claims I don't think they're 'engineered for India' any more than competitors beyond changing a cycle name from Intensive to Kadhai, regardless we've had one for five years and it's worked well with nearly everything on the Eco cycle. Ours has 12 place settings. The only problem we've had so far was a flow-rate sensor gone bad earlier this year, but there exists no single repeatable test for reliability so you'll have to go by word-of-mouth. Service was good.

A close one also bought a Bosch online in 2019 but it came with a cracked tub (free replacement). Best buy one at a dealer and don't let the serviceman leave without running a test prewash.

The LGs are more expensive, I'm not sure I see the point in having a direct drive for dishwashers because the only motors dishwashers have are the two pumps and most modern ones already use brushless motors which is what makes them quieter, not the direct drive. Where the LGs have the advantage is superior technology: fancy steam cycles, touch controls etc.
ron178 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 11:25   #9484
Senior - BHPian

This two pin plug comes with many electrical and electronic items both Indian as well as Chinese, Korean, etc. All our radios, cassette recorders etc came with this plug, not mention table lamps, land line phones and chargers.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 22:19   #9485
BHPian

I am planning to buy following items:

1. Refrigerator
2. Washing machine
3.Window Air conditioner
4. 43 inch TV

Please suggest me which brand to go for hassle free service, long life for the product.

P.S
Chennai Bhpians please suggest which multi brand outlet to go for croma, Vijay sales, or Reliance digital.
Old 21st May 2022, 22:42   #9486
BHPian

Quote:
There were different standards in different countries for the non grounded two pin plugs. But the underlying guiding factor was they were all rated for 2A max. Difference were in the spacing and round/square pins. It has been mostly subsumed now a days by 5A/6A standard for UK/global respectively. Many big companies like MK no longer produce the sockets but it is still available in low power appliances and lot many companies produce them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozeninTime View Post

1. Refrigerator
2. Washing machine
3.Window Air conditioner
4. 43 inch TV

Please suggest me which brand to go for hassle free service, long life for the product.

P.S
Chennai Bhpians please suggest which multi brand outlet to go for croma, Vijay sales, or Reliance digital.
1 and 2: I have LG and have no issues with them. Once had an issue and service is prompt. Samsung is also good. But this is just normal 2 door upto 300L refrigerator and 5.5L washing machine. Nothing fancy.

3. Never used Window AC. I went with Voltas for 3 star inverter split ACs (3 nos) 4 years ago. All of them are fine and is under company authorised service. Opinion is mixed in AC thread about inverter ACs. So please check that thread for Window AC recommendation.

4. Purchased 50inch Vu Smart TV in Amazon during lockdown. Please check TV thread if you want to have detailed information on quality of TV.

All the listed stores are ok. Croma will be a bit expensive. Reliance will give good deal. Apart from these nation wide chains, local chains like Shah's, Viveks and Vasanth are available in Chennai. They have more stores across the city. I purchased from Shah's Anna nagar and first time experience was good but next time had poor experience but after follow up it was resolved.

Last edited by vb-saan : 23rd May 2022 at 13:24. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Thank you
thanixravindran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 01:21   #9487

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozeninTime View Post

1. Refrigerator
2. Washing machine
3.Window Air conditioner
4. 43 inch TV

P.S
1. Refrigerator - Our previous 2 Samsung Fridge lasted for 8 -10 years with occasional minor services. Currently we own three Samsung Fridges ( 190L, 250L, 550L) of age between 3-5 years. Not even a minor issue till now, very happy with the purchase. We bought all three directly from Samsung showroom.

2. Washing Machine - 6 months back we did extensive research and narrowed down to IFB and Bosch. We chose IFB over Bosch because the former has comparatively cheaper spares which are more readily available. Definitely avoid Laundrimagic 3in1 model from IFB. We ordered that model from IFB Point but received a defective product which was replaced within a week. the replacement was yet again a defective product. After some to and fro with IFB higher ups and threatening with consumer court we rejected another replacement and decided to go for a top end washer and a separate dryer both of which are working like a charm.

3. AC- No idea on current window AC but our 19 year old LG window AC is still working. You should hands down buy it from Ratna fan House. They have separate sections for each brands and the choices are endless. For Split ACs go for Mitsubishi/LG/Hitachi

4. TV - If you want a long life, get a Sony. Budget TV brand ( including budget samsung tv) tend die/show problems earlier than higher end brands. IMO - if on a budget , TCL and Vu are better rated. Expensive TVs -LG for OLED, Sony & Samsung for LED
Kruz Nhux is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 01:02   #9488
BHPian

Finally, I bought a refrigerator from Reliance Digital showroom.

What is bugging me is that the model I bought is that product was manufactured in February 2022 and is not listed on Samsung's website currently. However, it is listed on the Reliance Digital website.
FrozeninTime is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 11:45   #9489
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi Guys,

So I finally went for a Faber 3-in-1 "Aero Station".

Regards,
SS
Hi Guys,

Very, very disappointed with my new Faber chimney. Not even 3 weeks after commissioning and it has broken down. First the lights failed and 2 days later, the entire chimney is not working. No lights, fan, nothing!!
I did not expect this from Faber especially after my last Faber chimney lasted nearly 9 years without any issues.
Been waiting for service for 4 days now.

Prices go up and quality comes down. This is what consumers in India have to face.

Sad state of affairs.

Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2022, 11:23   #9490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS80 View Post
Hi, thanks for sharing the details, could you please upload a few photos of the installation work in progress and the final finished stage. A friend of mine is looking for something similar.

Thanks in advance.
Hi SS80,

Sorry. No pictures of the work in progress but here are the final pictures.

The Faber Service team attended yesterday and fixed the problem which was a minor issue.

Regards,
SS
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Appliance thread-20220516_214649.jpg  

The Home Appliance thread-20220516_214857.jpg  

suzuki san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2022, 13:35   #9491
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi SS80,

Sorry. No pictures of the work in progress but here are the final pictures.

The Faber Service team attended yesterday and fixed the problem which was a minor issue.

Regards,
SS
Hey, wouldn't that rope hanging on the plug be a safety hazard?

Wouldn't something like this be better?
https://www.amazon.in/Command-Utilit...dp/B000M3V8XI/
deathwalkr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2022, 15:53   #9492
BHPian

Looking to upgrade our kitchen drawers and cupboards into a modular style setup. Does anyone have any suggestions for vendors in Pune/Online?

Thank you.
Old 28th May 2022, 19:08   #9493
Distinguished - BHPian

I want to buy an air purifier, budget up to 10k. The reason for my purchase is persistent allergic conjunctivitis, which is always worst when waking up in the morning, so this thing will be primarily for the bedroom, overnight.

Looking at Amazon, I end up choosing between Philips and Mi.

Philips is name that has been respected for longer than I have been alive! Mi is a newcomer, but I have no objections, having one of their TVs and having had two of their phones.

There are some negative reviews of Philips, and of their customer service (which I consider should not even be needed for small electrical stuff!). On the other hand, I am not sure that Mi is a company that would have something like replacement filters available in five year's time --- and I really don't need a wifi app-controlled device! The expense of including that technology seems to me to be a waste. (But I'd probably use it if it is there)

Any views, experiences or recommendations?
Old 29th May 2022, 03:39   #9494
BHPian

Quote:
Any views, experiences or recommendations?
Bought a Coway AirMega purifier for my daughter's room as it is the one that faces the road & she is allergic to dust. No fancy features but gets the job done. The filters are also easy to clean. You have an led indicator showing the quality of air. I bought it from Amazon for 12k 4 months back.
smrtdvl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2022, 03:57   #9495
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtdvl View Post
Bought a Coway AirMega purifier ... ... ... Amazon for 12k 4 months back.
Thanks! 12k is a little high, but might stretch.

Most Viewed