Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2022, 10:51   #9601
BANNED

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadfast View Post
I have LG 28 L microwave almost 7 years old. Since day 1, only the contents of utensils would warm on operation but body, plate, utensils themselves would remain cold but now I am seeing for last couple of months microwave body, plate and utensils have started becoming hot and sometime very hot to even pick out from microwave.
Are these vessels labelled as microwave safe?

In general all kinds of porcelain is usually microwave safe. Some plastics are & they are usually labelled as microwave safe. Metals are never microwave safe.

Non-microwave safe material gets hot & with metals, there may even be sparks.

If the microwave safe vessels worked fine till now & now they are getting hot, then they have outlasted their utility & may be time to buy new ones.
carboy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2022, 12:01   #9602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have LG 28 L microwave almost 7 years old. Since day 1, only the contents of utensils would warm on operation but body, plate, utensils themselves would remain cold but now I am seeing for last couple of months microwave body, plate and utensils have started becoming hot and sometime very hot to even pick out from microwave.

Can someone please tell me what's happening? Is there some life risk ? Should I replace the microwave?
The insides of a MW are immune to heating my microwaves, so I suspect that the contents you are heating are transferring heat to the vessel and thence to the inside of the microwave. Happens mostly when there is no lid covering the vessels.

To check :
. Use a microwave safe glass container with glass cover (we have Corning casseroles)
. Fill it half full with water
. Cover the lid and heat up the water to say 90 degrees

Now check. The container should be slightly warm if at all due to hot water. If the inside is now hot, then the material has deteriorated. Iff not every thing is fine.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2022, 14:34   #9603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
p.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Are
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
ine.
These are all borosil mugs and glasses which are microwave safe. My question is : earlier only the contents heated but now vessel is heated, door is heated, inner glass plate on which we keep everything is also getting hot. All these things were not getting hot earlier. I think there is some change in radiation that the whole unit is getting heated.
Old 7th July 2022, 17:42   #9604
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
All these things were not getting hot earlier. I think there is some change in radiation that the whole unit is getting heated.
I know, this is one of those questions like "Did you turn it on?" But I learned in IT support that they have to be asked...

Any chance someone is pressing combo button and turning heating elements on?

EDIT: Or that something has gone wrong with the control circuitry, and it's getting turned on. I think you should get an engineer to take a look, for safety's sake.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 7th July 2022 at 18:02.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 7th July 2022, 18:40   #9605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I know, this is one of those questions like "Did you turn it on?" But I learned in IT support that they have to be asked...

Any chance someone is pressing combo button and turning heating elements on?

EDIT: Or that something has gone wrong with the control circuitry, and it's getting turned on. I think you should get an engineer to take a look, for safety's sake.
Yes calling the LG engineer tomorrow. Thanks. This was my concern regarding safety.
steadfast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 18:22   #9606
BANNED

Have had miserable experience with both Godrej appliances & also Godrej service in Bombay over the last 3-4 years.

Mom had a Godrej Washing Machine around 4-5 years old. It stopped working & Godrej sent a mechanic who replaced something worth 1000 odd rupees & said it's fixed. But problem recurred again. Next mechanic came & said some other part needs to be changed & he will bring the part next day. Next he comes with the part but isn't able to fit it. He says he will bring a senior the next day to help him. Next day the senior somehow manages to fit the part but then after 2 days more problems occur with the machine. All through these days each day, the mechanics are usually late by 5-6 hours on the time the service center promises - i.e. if they say they will come at 2pm, then end up coming at 7:00 pm. One day it was as late as 8:30pm. All the usual excuses - bike puncture, bike had accident. And the strangest excuse was meetings. 2 of the mechanics said they were in meetilngs for 4 hours at the service center. I am not sure what kind of meetings they have there. Finally, I ordered a Samsung Washing machine for my mom & junked the Godrej one (spent around 3000 odd with 5-6 mechanic visits over a month, I think, trying to repair it).

Next is about my Godrej Fridge - around 5 years old, I think - don't remember exactly.
2 years back, only freezer cools properly, the rest of the fridge is at 18 degrees. Mechanic says fan motor is busted, changed it. 1 month back, same problem. This time mechanic says circuit board needs to be changed. Changed it. 2 days back again the same problem. Mechanic comes & says fan motor busted again (the one replaced 2 years back) - so replaced again. And once the mechanic didn't come on the day he was supposed to come because of bike puncture. And once he was late by 5-6 hours because he was attending meetings for those hours & couldn't interrupt the meeting by picking up my call. Already spent around 4000 on repairs. Next problem with the fridge, I am planning to junk it & get a Samsung fridge.

Last edited by carboy : 13th July 2022 at 18:36.
carboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 18:41   #9607
BHPian

Hey folks, Somehow the Home Ministry has developed a sudden interest in an Air Fryer. Any brand /model recomendations and / or what to avoid?

Last edited by ajayc123 : 13th July 2022 at 19:07.
ajayc123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 22:50   #9608
Distinguished - BHPian

Air Purifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter78 View Post
Pick up the Philips they are better engineered and the fan design is meant for quieter operations. Switch on at medium about 30 min before bedtime should help
Well, as mentioned, I did pick up a Philips AC2887. Ownership report after a few weeks...

I have not had any problems such as those mentioned in some Amazon reviews. There are reports of the machine permanently just reporting bad air. No, that did not happen. I have not made notes, but there seems to be a collective effect of the air quality increasing to single figures ppm. I really don't know if the displayed number is literally parts per million, or just some arbitrary display , but it responds to cooking, etc, so I do believe it is doing something. Its range is 1-500. Have hit 500 with heavy frying in the adjacent kitchen!

The multi-colour display is --- pretty. That's the best one can say about it! Pretty, and yes, I like that, although I wish they'd put the money into a properly dimmable panel display.

It is impossible to make an objective assessment of its effectiveness apart from what it itself tells. Subjectively, I'm feeling that the air quality is better. My eye allergy has declined, but other factors may be involved with that.

Objective, subjective, maybe even placebo! But I like the thing, and will probably buy one more at some time. It runs 24 hours, and buying another one is quite an expensive way to avoid carrying it from one room to an adjacent room at bed time! On the other hand, it is a little cumbersome.

I have cleaned the first, permanent filter twice. It is a metal mesh, finer than the filters we use on AC machines. None the less, quite a lot of coarse dust seems to get through to the next filter. Don't tell Philips, but I have gently removed some of that. There are two "non-cleanable" filters: it will be interesting to see when the machine starts demanding that I buy new ones! This is a dusty and polluted place, that is why I wanted the thing at all, so, like cars, if one wants one... there's running cost.

Thanks again to those who advised. So far I'm calling it a success.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 13th July 2022 at 22:52.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 21:23   #9609
Distinguished - BHPian

Has anyone had to replace the gasket of the door of a Front Load Washing machine ?

Would like to know the cost for a company sourced gasket.

(we have an IFB, but since I am just trying to get an idea, please share irrespective of which brand you have)
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 22:06   #9610
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Air Purifier

Objective, subjective, maybe even placebo! But I like the thing, and will probably buy one more at some time.
Do checkout COWAY range, have heard good things about them in my circle. Not as fancy as some of the other ones including your Philips, but seems efficient at the task it was designed for.

PS: no personal experience with the brand although I almost ordered one in 2020 looking the deal on Amazon
ToThePoint is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 22:16   #9611
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Has anyone had to replace the gasket of the door of a Front Load Washing machine ?

Would like to know the cost for a company sourced gasket.

(we have an IFB, but since I am just trying to get an idea, please share irrespective of which brand you have)
Yes. I replaced it last year along with the drum of my 6Kg IFB. The total was around 10k. For the gasket it was around 3k if I remember correctly.
NICHE is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 06:38   #9612
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, any recommendations for a quiet tower fan and a tumble dryer? Need the former for air circulation in a WFH study area (with a low ceiling), and the latter to replace our ancient IFB dryer.
Old 20th July 2022, 08:41   #9613
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
to replace our ancient IFB dryer.
Unless your capacity/venting requirements have changed I'd recommend replacing your ancient IFB dryer with another 'ancient' IFB dryer. Little has changed in design for two decades, only the drum is now stainless steel and the name/decals have changed. Our vented IFB (EasyDry 550) is older than I am and still going strong at another home. There is minor wear-and-tear of seals and plastic parts but it's mechanically sound.

Our main dryer is now a 2017 Bosch condenser, accessories have been very expensive and I expect spares (when the time comes) to be worse. Unless you need the condenser (we did) or the capacity I would strongly consider sticking to the boring electromechanical-control IFBs. They're better suited for India in terms of sustainability of ownership.

Last edited by ron178 : 20th July 2022 at 08:45.
ron178 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2022, 09:47   #9614
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron178 View Post
Unless your capacity/venting requirements have changed I'd recommend replacing your ancient IFB dryer with another 'ancient' IFB dryer. ...I would strongly consider sticking to the boring electromechanical-control IFBs. They're better suited for India in terms of sustainability of ownership.
Agree with you here. Not as if there are other manufacturers selling standalone tumble dryers in India. Only IFB seems to make the lower priced ones. Others are staggeringly costly.

Our IFB 550 is around 8 years old now with a broken door switch and noisy, BUT I agree, gets the job done. I bought it on a sale for ~11K, currently 20K+.

Will get it serviced while I look for a great offer on a replacement
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2022, 10:27   #9615
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

So My 5 years old Bosch is facing trouble with Drum hitting the sidewalls too often during final Washing cycle. what could be the reason for this.

Looking at few articles, it appears that drum bearings might have gone kaput. Tried raising a request with Bosch for service and it's pretty steep at 673 Re+ GST just for visiting charges. Any recommendations for reliable FNG who can repair in Noida / Delhi.

Last edited by .sushilkumar : 20th July 2022 at 10:29.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks