Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2022, 17:03   #9676
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
My father likes products Made in Germany or European brands in general. A lot of thought goes in to the design of their products, quite like their cars. At one point, something as basic as an Iron in our house was Made in Germany. We still have a portable Rowenta.

We won't be considering the Liebherr. Its too big a gamble to take and once you buy it, you are stuck. Not like the developed world where you have your rights and can take it back to the dealer if it does not work well. In India, they will ask you to talk to the service representative who will usually wash their hands off the problem. This was our experience with Siemens. It felt as though the electronic control panel was designed to fail every 4 to 5 years.
Friend owns a liebherr fridge and freezer. Been running pretty smoothly. However we don't know how long they will stay in india considering their market must be really small.

Sad to hear about the Siemens and you have me really worried now. I have two Siemens refrigerators and a freezer (all built in) that have been working fine so far but these are early days. I have taken an additional 5 yrs of extended warranty for them however.

They are all made in Germany.
reignofchaos is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2022, 17:17   #9677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
Has anyone used a washer-dryer combo? Our washing machine needs replacing and so thinking of this Samsung Washer Dryer combo: Samsung WD80T604DBX Washer Dryer Combo.

Any thoughts on this model? Seems to work out to approx 44k with some EMI cashback and discounts + exchange.

Similar models from LG and IFB are way more expensive, 60k+. Would love to get some advice on this as looking to purchase within the next day or two.

Thanks.
You could buy Bosch washer/drier. I had bought https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 5 years ago. It has been working flawlessly. We use cupboard dry function only during rainy season. This model has been discontinued, but you could look at other models from Bosch.
speed79 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2022, 17:30   #9678
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Space constraint is a problem as we have a small utility room, hence the combo makes more sense. Only plan to really use it during rainy seasons anyway. Got it for 37k after exchange so pretty happy as really only worked out 10k more than a similarly specced standalone front load.
Most standalone clothes dryers can be stacked on top of front loading washing machines (please use your discretion and proper advice before doing this) or can even be wall mounted. So, if you are not short of vertical space, it is better to go for separate machines.
Old 26th August 2022, 18:52   #9679
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Space constraint is a problem as we have a small utility room, hence the combo makes more sense. Only plan to really use it during rainy seasons anyway. Got it for 37k after exchange so pretty happy as really only worked out 10k more than a similarly specced standalone front load.
An amazing deal can trump all other considerations. I myself have succumbed to such temptations a number of times. More often than not, regret was the final result.
Old 27th August 2022, 00:25   #9680
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone used a washer-dryer combo?
Thirty-plus years ago, in London, but I doubt that much has changed, other than the balance of mechanical/electronic parts maybe.

My drier failed after a few years. I was told by an engineer that, without insurance cover, it was better to rename it as "washer." He said that repairing it usually involved replacing even the main drum, and that the whole thing would be expensive.

One point to note. You may be aware already. The capacity as a drier is around half that as a washer, so every wash cycle needs two or more dry cycles.

My rating: not recommended.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2022, 07:14   #9681
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumare View Post
This might happen if the STB and/or other connections to the TV are carrying a mild current/voltage, pls check by disconnecting each such one in sequence and you might be able to isolate the culprit.
Yeah, it's seems to be the cable STB. I switch the input from Cable to Chromecast, the humming stops. I disconnected & reconnected but the humming still happens half the time. What is the reason for this happening & what is the solution?
Old 27th August 2022, 07:37   #9682
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Check out these videos. Its a good comparison between the different types of washer dryers.

Or this below. It talks about the Samsung washer drier combo

My personal feel is these are more useful during monsoons, which is 3 months a year. Do consider cost vs utility before deciding.
Old 27th August 2022, 10:26   #9683
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Yeah, it's seems to be the cable STB. I switch the input from Cable to Chromecast, the humming stops. I disconnected & reconnected but the humming still happens half the time. What is the reason for this happening & what is the solution?
Either the socket powering the STB is leaking current or STB adapter is at fault or the coaxial cable from the dish is carrying current, review of your earth wiring could be the first step.
You can try a different HDMI cable (STB-TV) and see if the cable is at fault.
Old 27th August 2022, 11:37   #9684
Senior - BHPian

How exactly does it dry the clothes as compared to an ordinary washing machine? Similar spinnig/centrifugal force but for a longer time, or does it blow hot air?
Old 27th August 2022, 12:20   #9685
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
How exactly does it dry the clothes as compared to an ordinary washing machine? Similar spinnig/centrifugal force but for a longer time, or does it blow hot air?
In a tumble dryer, clothes come out fully dry. You can wear it right away if needed.

Tumble dryers warm outside air & circulate it through the rotating drum with the clothes. New air is continuously taken in & after passing through the drum/clothes, it's vented out so it takes away the moisture. In my dryer, it takes roughly around 2 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumare View Post
Either the socket powering the STB is leaking current or STB adapter is at fault or the coaxial cable from the dish is carrying current, review of your earth wiring could be the first step.
How do I review this socket earth wiring & the adapter? I can call an electrician - what do I tell him to check?

Last edited by Aditya : 27th August 2022 at 21:44. Reason: Typo
carboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2022, 12:57   #9686
BHPian

Quote:
How do I review this socket earth wiring & the adapter? I can call an electrician - what do I tell him to check?
Two components need to be measured.

1. Continuity between your house earth points (in sockets) to your grounding point (Ground Pit).

2. Earth resistance. This can be measured using an earth resistance tester/megger. The resistance should be less than 5 Ohms.

If electrician is qualified and has the equipment, he can measure the resistance. Best method would be call the Discom and they would surely have all the equipment for doing this.
srini1785 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 11:18   #9687
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
What does over-drying mean?
Some dryers work based on a fixed time based mechanism based on the program selected, without sensing whether the clothes have already dried or not. In such cases at the end of the cycle the clothes are very dry with lots of wrinkles. The moisture sensing ones typically stop the drying as soon as the moisture level has gone below the set threshold and then cools down. For example the Galanz model above shows a remaining time of 2:30 hours for the optimal cotton cycle at start, but typically finishes the drying around 1 hour mark in most cases and the clothes are just enough dry to directly wear, if required, and does not feel like having many wrinkles from over drying...

Last edited by LobsterB : 28th August 2022 at 11:21.
LobsterB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 13:01   #9688
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Should I keep a dehumidifier near the TV? I mean what's advisable. These days you silica in tiny boxes
Silica gel is a desiccant that can absorb 40 % of its weight in moisture. So to reduce the humidity in a room, you will need several kg of silica gel - not a practical solution.

If your TV sits inside an Air-conditioned room, it is sufficient to reduce the humidity to reasonable level. To provide a real world example, my 15x 15 room has a 1.5 Ton AC which brings down the humidity to 40 % in Madras (the ambient humidity is about 70 %) in summer.

Madras has 3 climates - Summer, Summer and Summer.
Prowler is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 16:16   #9689
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Madras has 3 climates - Summer, Summer and Summer.
Three seasons: hot, hotter and hottest!

And all of them super-humid.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th August 2022, 05:22   #9690
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
They are all made in Germany.
Thanks sdeb.

Probably makes some difference.
To give you context, ice cream taken out of the freezer is in a state where it is more like custard than ice cream. It can't bring down temperature low enough.

Consulted our neighbors who owned a Bosch refrigerator. Same story. Poor after sales, Inability to diagnose problems.

Ambient temperature and high humidity may also have some contribution to poor performance. Bangalore does get hot but not the feeling of a hot coastal city.

We have placed an order for a Samsung 551l.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 29th August 2022 at 05:33.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks