Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2022, 17:47   #9571
BANNED

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
I
If your case is due to moisture, then it may start working again after couple of weeks, if you let it dry away from moisture. Unless a similar spec oven is very expensive, a faulty panel replacement at that cost may not be worthy for 10 year old appliance.
Not sure if it's due to moisture. We had gone out of home to home town for many months. Upon return we found that microwave isn't responding. It's a convection oven so a new one will be around 12k I guess.

Normally when we open the door the light turns on inside the oven. Currently it keeps off too. I am just worried if there are more issues than just front panel being bad.

Last edited by ottocycle : 29th June 2022 at 17:53.
Old 30th June 2022, 00:53   #9572
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanixravindran View Post
Any particular reason that you find the quality of Indian MK switches not up to the mark?
Certainly!

My house here was rewired in 2007 with MK-brand modular switches and sockets. There have been numerous broken switches, loose connections, and sockets loosing their spring grip.

It's true that I was not using "modular" stuff in UK, but generally, cannot recall many such faults in decades.

However, a recent studio-flat build was wired up with Anchor modular stuff, which makes MK look good!
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 30th June 2022, 06:02   #9573
BHPian

I have used Anchor Roma Modular Switch & Sockets. In most of the boxes, due to Modular Construction, there are a couple of blanks. Instead of Blank Plates, I have installed Switches although not connected to Wiring.
This will ensure a supply of Spare Switch, in case of failure of any one. The replacement would be of the same make, model and Texture as others. You can always distinguish a newly replaced switch from the rest as the texture changes with age.
Amrik Singh is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 30th June 2022, 07:15   #9574
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrik Singh View Post
I have used Anchor Roma Modular Switch & Sockets. In most of the boxes, due to Modular Construction, there are a couple of blanks. Instead of Blank Plates, I have installed Switches although not connected to Wiring.
This will ensure a supply of Spare Switch, in case of failure of any one. The replacement would be of the same make, model and Texture as others. You can always distinguish a newly replaced switch from the rest as the texture changes with age.
But if you use one of unused switches on the board to replace a bad switch in the same board, then the slot where you got the replacement from would be empty & you would either need to either leave it empty or replace it with new blank plate which would be of a different age than the rest of the board.
carboy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2022, 09:59   #9575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
But if you use one of unused switches on the board to replace a bad switch in the same board, then the slot where you got the replacement from would be empty
Not unless the switch has signs of burnout on the front too. Just leave the switch as it is and change the connection to the unused ones.
Anyway it is theoretical only. Did not have any issue till now. Mostly because of low current using LED lights
Amrik Singh is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 30th June 2022, 11:07   #9576
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlearner View Post
Any recommendation for a refrigerator? My Whirlpool 240L one has conked off and repair estimate is 5k. I have already spent around 10k on repairs in the last 2-3 years and not interested to pay more for maintaining this one.

I need a capacity of ~ 250L. I don't need a very fancy one, but a value for money and reliable in long term.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indepth View Post
I usually do my own research but that lasts a few days. However, for quick suggestion, I sometimes refer this guy on YouTube.
Here is a link regarding your requirement. https://Youtu.be/0CQBjNKTxXo
Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
You can look for this 253L 3 star convertible model of samsung: RT28T3743S8/HL on amazon. Currently retailing at 26290. There is a 1000Rs coupon discount going on. 10% discount on Sbi card is also there. Add about 2k exchange discount, you may get this for about Rs.21500 which is very sweet deal, if it suits your requirements.
Thanks for the suggestions. We visited multiple showrooms in Chennai, but wifey was not happy with space management of any model :( Our current Whirlpool Protton has 3 glass shelves + chiller tray + large vegetable tray. Since we don't usually store large vessels, but rather more number of smaller ones, this arrangement works better. However, most of the newer models only have 2 shelves even in a 260L one and many do not have dedicated chiller tray.

None of the showrooms had the protton series on sale and they claim that the protton series had lot of issues and has been discontinued, though I see it available on Amazon. From their site, I understand this is a non-inverter model. Does it make sense to go for a non-inverter model and any specific feedback on the protton series?
Old 30th June 2022, 11:31   #9577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlearner View Post
None of the showrooms had the protton series on sale and they claim that the protton series had lot of issues and has been discontinued, though I see it available on Amazon. From their site, I understand this is a non-inverter model. Does it make sense to go for a non-inverter model and any specific feedback on the protton series?
We have 3 nos of Triple door protton series with us and extended family. Pros - triple door hence would lead to less loss of cooling,Vegetable box prevents scalding or chaffing and preserves freshness.. Cons- slightly noisy.

You can go for it if its available. Last time I have seen it in Vasanth and co and Girias.

Last edited by aadya : 30th June 2022 at 11:33. Reason: additional info
aadya is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2022, 12:10   #9578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
Hey,
Can you call out any specific models for such purpose? Maybe a link or two.
I have seen commercial products for such, which can be seen at some shops that sell batter, but I haven’t noticed anything for home use.
We have Elgi Ultra
The Home Appliance thread-msc_2647.jpg

The Home Appliance thread-msc_2657.jpg

The Home Appliance thread-msc_2658.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post
Using a mixie is fine for Idly/Dose. We have been using for so long that we dont see difference from grinder. Grinders are useful if you need more quantity else cleaning it is additional burden. We use it only to prepare Holige stuffing where you need it to be sticky and not watery.
Till we got the wet grinder, we did use a normal mixer for over 15 years. Yes you can use it but :

. Wet grinding at high speed overloads the motor so it heats up fast. The overload would trip the mixer regularly. I guess a more powerful motor would overcome this.
. Grinding in mixer heats the mixture up, so if you are not careful you can partially cook some bits.
. Finally the smoothness of the grind in a wet grinder is practically impossible to get in a mixer. The reason is that a mixer grinds by hitting the particles at high speed, while a wet grinder uses stone to literally grind the dough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
This might be a stupid question and very well off-topic, but since we have already discussed idly/dosa batters a here a lot, please bear with me.

Can't we simply buy urad dal powder, rice powder and mix them with water and leave the mixture to ferment, and wouldn't it result in the same kind of batter that is produced by fresh grinding?

ps: Don't ask me to try out myself, as I don't have the time or patience to enter the kitchen.
Ha Ha, if you are not interested in Kitchen work, why ask?

Any way, I guess that it may be feasible, but grinding a wet mix gives it a better texture. I think that the difference is similar to making Dal Vada from powdered Dal verses soaked and wet ground dal. There is a lot of chemistry going on when we wet grind.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2022, 12:36   #9579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Ha Ha, if you are not interested in Kitchen work, why ask?
I am trying to reduce the burden of the Indian women (at least the one at my home ). As some foreigner commented, Indians spend half a day preparing the day's lunch and then eat it in 10 mins. While they spend 10 minutes preparing a meal (maybe sandwich) and spends half an hour eating it.
Quote:
Any way, I guess that it may be feasible, but grinding a wet mix gives it a better texture. I think that the difference is similar to making Dal Vada from powdered Dal verses soaked and wet ground dal. There is a lot of chemistry going on when we wet grind.
I think we waste countless hours and energy just to make food that is like 10% tastier. Like what they show in the movie Great Indian Kitchen - idly batter ground in grinders, curry made in earthenware (as opposed to pressure cookers), chutney made using stone grinders etc. I wonder whether they are really worth the hassle.
Old 30th June 2022, 14:32   #9580
BHPian

Quote:
I think we waste countless hours and energy just to make food that is like 10% tastier. Like what they show in the movie Great Indian Kitchen - idly batter ground in grinders, curry made in earthenware (as opposed to pressure cookers), chutney made using stone grinders etc. I wonder whether they are really worth the hassle.
I think Indian cooking is more about planning than about actually consuming time. For example, grinding batter can be done in scale that lasts for a week. Soaking the various pulses need to be planned well so that it can be grinded the next day.

My point is, it's more 'planning' effort than just more cooking effort. I try to help my wife to do some of these things and we split the work between us as well as involve the kids too to do some of the things.
Old 30th June 2022, 16:33   #9581
BHPian

Quote:
Can't we simply buy urad dal powder, rice powder and mix them with water and leave the mixture to ferment, and wouldn't it result in the same kind of batter that is produced by fresh grinding?
It won't work. Wet grinding Rice and Urad Dal makes it a slurry and it still retains the property to get fluffy while inside a steam cooker. When its powdered and mixed it looses its ability to raise inside a steam cooker. Something to do with adhesion/cohesion and other scientific stuff. Lots of research needed.

Last edited by srini1785 : 30th June 2022 at 16:39.
srini1785 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2022, 17:40   #9582
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
It won't work. Wet grinding Rice and Urad Dal makes it a slurry and it still retains the property to get fluffy while inside a steam cooker...
You forgot fermentation This is the key part of the process. And the yeast itself. Foodies share sourdough starters with yeast specific to certain regions. May be this is why idli in Bengaluru tastes different from the idli made in Chennai. (yeast strain, temperature, humidity,...)

I don't know if anyone has tried making fermented batter with powders as the OP suggested.

Quote:
I am trying to reduce the burden of the Indian women (at least the one at my home ). As some foreigner commented, Indians spend half a day...
Rava idli mix? (MTR brand is quite popular)
Quite a bit of baking soda and preservatives, plus hydrogenated fats. We use this once in a while. Not sure if a similar formula will work for rice idlis - I think some people have tried marketing such a mix.

Last edited by mvadg : 30th June 2022 at 17:50.
mvadg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2022, 18:41   #9583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
I think Indian cooking is more about planning than about actually consuming time.
A typical rice-meal in my state consists of rice, one or two vegetables dishes, a fish/chicken/beef curry, a fried fish and dal/sambar/rasam. Most of these dishes requires sautéing of onion, tomato and spices which requires time and effort.
Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
It won't work. Wet grinding Rice and Urad Dal makes it a slurry and it still retains the property to get fluffy while inside a steam cooker. When its powdered and mixed it looses its ability to raise inside a steam cooker. Something to do with adhesion/cohesion and other scientific stuff. Lots of research needed.
I understand there is something complex happening there, but can't picture what two pieces of stone can do to the mix other than than grinding it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
You forgot fermentation This is the key part of the process. And the yeast itself. Foodies share sourdough starters with yeast specific to certain regions. May be this is why idli in Bengaluru tastes different from the idli made in Chennai. (yeast strain, temperature, humidity,...)
I might be wrong here, but my understanding was that idly batter is not fermented using yeast but by bacteria. Bacteria fermentation produces acid which gives it the sour taste. Bacteria is already present in urad dal and that is why we don't have to "add" it unlike the yeast we add to bread dough or wine. Remember what happens when bacteria takes over the wine (due to contamination) - It turns into vinegar.
dragonfire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2022, 19:14   #9584
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
I am trying to reduce the burden of the Indian women (at least the one at my home ). As some foreigner commented, Indians spend half a day preparing the day's lunch and then eat it in 10 mins. While they spend 10 minutes preparing a meal (maybe sandwich) and spends half an hour eating it.

We have dish from dry powder also. It is idiyappam made from dry rice powder mixed with hot water. This does not need fermentation as I understand. We also prepare appam sometimes with slurry rice powder. But not idly or dosa for which wet grinder is used for the fluffy output. I have tried it with mixie when I was alone but got rubbery dosa only. Weather plays a important role in fermentation as never got good idly/dosa in cold areas. Heat is needed after the grinding and not during, I guess.

On reducing the effort front, we came from a long way from hand crushing them in different ways for different food items and as part of evolution, we will move as you say may be in the next generation as current generation still carries mixie and grinders with them even when they emigrate.
thanixravindran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2022, 19:17   #9585
BHPian

Quote:

I might be wrong here, but my understanding was that idly batter is not fermented using yeast but by bacteria. Bacteria fermentation produces acid which gives it the sour taste. Bacteria is already present in urad dal and that is why we don't have to "add" it unlike the yeast we add to bread dough or wine. Remember what happens when bacteria takes over the wine (due to contamination) - It turns into vinegar.
You are right! I always assumed it was yeast. Learn something new everyday.

Adding bread yeast to the mix makes the batter fluffy and odd tasting. (tried it once)

From here

Quote:
fermentation of the batter of idli, a fermented food of India, was studied. The microorganisms responsible for the characteristic changes in the batter were isolated and identified. Although there is a sequential change in the bacterial flora, the predominant microorganism responsible for souring, as well as for gas production, was found to be Leuconostoc mesenteroides. In the later stages of fermentation, growth of Streptococcus faecalis and, still later, of Pediococcus cerevisiae becomes significant. The fermentation of idli demonstrates a leavening action caused by the activity of the heterofermentative lactic acid bacterium, L. mesenteroides. As far as is known, this is the first record of a leavening action produced exclusively by the activity of a lactic acid bacterium.

Last edited by mvadg : 30th June 2022 at 19:18.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks