Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2022, 08:41   #9541
BANNED

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
Not a direct answer to your question, but from what I checked, most You Tube videos recommend this particular mixer-Sujata 900w or Bosch 1000 w as the best for heavy duty work like grinding dosa batter or flour, which will need a longer continuous running time.
For grinding idli/dosa batter it's always better to have a stone grinder. There have been other comments about this on this thread itself. My comment was about use as a mixie.

Here is a comment by @Aroy about grinding batter - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...ml#post5254100 (The Home Appliance thread)

I don't have a stone grinder (don't make batter at home) but this is what I know not just from T-BHP but also many south indian friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Could you share from your experience how useful really is a Food Processor for Veggie Chopping/grating etc.

Just go to your neighbourhood local market store which sells vessels, cutlery, plastic plates, containers etc. They will have a lot of different devices which can be used to chop/grate vegetables. These aren't very expensive either. A food processor is a waste for most people, in my opinion. You would never use it for anything except as a mixie.

Last edited by carboy : 26th June 2022 at 08:45.
carboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2022, 11:16   #9542
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanixravindran View Post
If you don't clean those hard to reach places thoroughly, it will lead to fungus growth.
Are these Dishwasher safe? Any idea.
Old 26th June 2022, 11:24   #9543
Senior - BHPian

I have been using these for the last 55 years. Here is my take on food processors, mixers and grinders.

The major tasks that food processors are used for :

1. Dry grinding.
2. Wet grinding.
3. Blending liquids.
4. Grating.
5. Juicer.

Each of these requires a different machine, and "all-in-one" just does not do justice to any one. You compromise every time.

. Dry grinding requires highest speeds. powerful motor and a robust jar - preferably stainless steel one. Preethi/Sujatha are best in this class and in my case dry grind in a minute or two. Even dry turmeric, one of the most challenging tasks, comes out perfectly.

. Wet grinding - dal, rice etc are best done in a Wet Grinder at low speeds. High speed food processors just heat up and do not yeald a smooth paste.

. Blending - any low/medium powered mixy does the job.

. Grating in small quantities is best done by hand. For large quantities a food processor with grating attachment is the way to go, but cleaning up is a chore.

. Juice extraction is so so with a food processor. A manual juicer (as used by juice wala) is the best. Mechanical masticating juicers cost a bomb (> 20K)

I have gone through at least ten mixers/food processors starting from Sumeet in 60's to Phillips, Inalsa, Singer etc and now have stabilised to three machines - Wet Grinder, Dry Grinder and a blender. Apart from that I have a dedicated citrus juicer for oranges and limes.

In short if your usage is low then get a food processor as it is a jack of all trades. Other wise invest in three different machines, they will cost the same as a good food processor, but give a better result and have a redundancy. Mind you a food processor with multiple jars will take up as much space as three machines
Aroy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th June 2022, 11:40   #9544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Juice extraction is so so with a food processor. A manual juicer (as used by juice wala) is the best. Mechanical masticating juicers cost a bomb (> 20K)
Interestingly, the so called slow/cold press juicers that cost a bomb (for example Hurom) are a mechanised version of the manual Mousumi juicer that you would find at juice shops.
An example
https://www.hurom.co.in/products/h-2...d-press-juicer

Last edited by ajayc123 : 26th June 2022 at 11:56.
ajayc123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 10:30   #9545
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
Interestingly, the so called slow/cold press juicers that cost a bomb (for example Hurom) are a mechanised version of the manual Mousumi juicer that you would find at juice shops.
An example
https://www.hurom.co.in/products/h-2...d-press-juicer
Yes that it is. The mechanical one is what is called a "masticating" juicer - it gently separates the juice from pith and seeds without crushing them. Might as well as use the manual version, unless you are running a juice factory.
Old 27th June 2022, 11:20   #9546
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Wet grinding - dal, rice etc are best done in a Wet Grinder at low speeds. High speed food processors just heat up and do not yeald a smooth paste.
Hey,
Can you call out any specific models for such purpose? Maybe a link or two.
I have seen commercial products for such, which can be seen at some shops that sell batter, but I haven’t noticed anything for home use.
Old 27th June 2022, 11:39   #9547
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Are these Dishwasher safe? Any idea.
Not sure but will check the coming week and let you know (Currently on travel).
Old 27th June 2022, 13:10   #9548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
Hey,
Can you call out any specific models for such purpose? Maybe a link or two.
I have seen commercial products for such, which can be seen at some shops that sell batter, but I haven’t noticed anything for home use.
Elgi Ultra brand. Go for a smaller capacity one if you don't grind large quantities. We've the Ultra Grind plus, used about twice a week for over 8 years without any problems.
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 13:33   #9549
BHPian

Using a mixie is fine for Idly/Dose. We have been using for so long that we dont see difference from grinder. Grinders are useful if you need more quantity else cleaning it is additional burden. We use it only to prepare Holige stuffing where you need it to be sticky and not watery.
Old 27th June 2022, 19:17   #9550
BHPian

This might be a stupid question and very well off-topic, but since we have already discussed idly/dosa batters a here a lot, please bear with me.

Can't we simply buy urad dal powder, rice powder and mix them with water and leave the mixture to ferment, and wouldn't it result in the same kind of batter that is produced by fresh grinding?

ps: Don't ask me to try out myself, as I don't have the time or patience to enter the kitchen.
dragonfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 07:13   #9551
BANNED

Question about USB chargers - not particularly for phone chargers but USB chargers for any kind of device.

The charger consists of 2 parts - the wire with the USB end & the plug which fits into the wall. Is the charging rate dependent on the wire's/USB connector rated charging rate (i.e. 0.5A, 1A, 2A etc) or does it depend on the plug which goes into the wall socket?
Old 28th June 2022, 09:18   #9552
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Question about USB chargers - not particularly for phone chargers but USB chargers for any kind of device.

The charger consists of 2 parts - the wire with the USB end & the plug which fits into the wall. Is the charging rate dependent on the wire's/USB connector rated charging rate (i.e. 0.5A, 1A, 2A etc) or does it depend on the plug which goes into the wall socket?
Both.

The charging brick has max rated output printed on it. The USB cable must also be of sufficient gauge to carry the max rated current. Most of the cheap aftermarket USB cables cannot carry more than 1A current. So even if the charging brick supports 2A or 3A output, the current that reaches the device is limited by the cable
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 09:38   #9553
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Both.

The charging brick has max rated output printed on it. The USB cable must also be of sufficient gauge to carry the max rated current. Most of the cheap aftermarket USB cables cannot carry more than 1A current. So even if the charging brick supports 2A or 3A output, the current that reaches the device is limited by the cable
So if I want low charging rate, it would be fine if just one of the two were low rated, right?

i.e. if I want to make sure charging rate is not more than 1A, then if either one of the cable or the plug is 1A, that would be enough to restrict it to 1A
Old 28th June 2022, 09:47   #9554
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
...i.e. if I want to make sure charging rate is not more than 1A, then if either one of the cable or the plug is 1A, that would be enough to restrict it to 1A
Basic rule :

The load dictates the current drawn from a source. You can't restrict the current drawn from a source using lower size wires or plugs.
srini1785 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 09:48   #9555
BHPian

Can anyone suggest a good quality smart plug which is accurate ?

There are a lot of smart plugs in the market but their energy consumption accuracy is questionable. If someone has been using a smart plug and have found it to be accurate please share the details of the same for purchase. I am even open to importing it from the US provided it is compatible with voltage and Freq in India.
sunbaj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks