Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2022, 15:56   #9346
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Indeed. And while gloves are a good idea, eyes are even more important.

If people must use the caustic-soda stuff, then treat it like acid: It is as dangerous. Otherwise take the suggestions for safer solutions.
I have been using Dklog drain cleaner available in Amazon, from past 2 yrs and it is not corrosive nor has it affected my Aluminium baffle filter. I have touched accidently many times and it has not affected my hand. So I believe, the formula they are using may not contain caustic soda.

Please wash the baffle filter with soap solution afterwards.

Last edited by pram_ind : 12th March 2022 at 16:00.
pram_ind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2022, 15:57   #9347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
We have this LG fridge and when the door is open it sounds a really loud alarm every 30s until we close it, and it's driving me crazy.

Anyone know how to silence it or reduce the volume? It has no smarts and the control panel it has only controls the cooling of the fridge and freezer. Wondering if there are any secret button combinations or such for the alarm.
The fridge has a "Smart Diagnosis" feature according to the ad.

"Just place your smart phone on the appliance after dialing service center" and all will be sorted out.

Check the manual (if you have one) to see if it is possible to change the alarm settings through some USB port or some HMI on the fridge.

If it does not help then call an IT Wiz who can hack into on board computer through Bluetooth and change the settings for the trigger alarm.

If that also does not help then call a voodoo priest.

Last edited by srini1785 : 12th March 2022 at 15:59.
srini1785 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2022, 18:58   #9348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
We have this LG fridge and when the door is open it sounds a really loud alarm every 30s until we close it, and it's driving me crazy.

Anyone know how to silence it or reduce the volume? It has no smarts and the control panel it has only controls the cooling of the fridge and freezer. Wondering if there are any secret button combinations or such for the alarm.
Try the following tips:
https://doordodo.com/turning-lg-refr...-alarm-on-off/

Otherwise find the light sensor that triggers the alarm and cover it with some opaque tape.
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2022, 23:35   #9349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadya View Post
Probably repeating the question which plays around on many people's mind - whether buying a handheld vacuum is a worthy expense?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrik Singh View Post
Handheld Vacuum Cleaner is good enough for picking dust off a small place or difficult to reach location. But for house - No.
You cannot stoop and bend for cleaning the entire floor or Carpet with a small gadget.
You are talking about small handheld vacuums while aadya is asking about the likes of Dyson. There is a world of difference between the two and the latter is very effective in cleaning the house.

I bought a Dyson V8 during the initial lockdown and couldn't be happier. Since it is very handy, one tends to use it often compared to the corded machines. The suction is very good and one can vacuum a room in less than 5 mins. The amount of dust it picks up is scary.
Jaguar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th March 2022, 02:46   #9350
BHPian

Looking for some long term impressions on Atomberg ceiling fans. How relevant are they in a city like Bangalore where the fans are not used full speed for the most part of the year? How is their long term reliability, say over 2-3 years?

In short, should I get them or stick to the good old ones?

Particularly interested in this model: https://atomberg.com/shop/ceiling-fa...e-ceiling-fan/

MaSh

Last edited by mashmash : 16th March 2022 at 02:50.
Old 16th March 2022, 06:31   #9351
Senior - BHPian

We have the same fan for three years now. It's as good as any other fan. Even in Bangalore, March-June you will need a fan, no?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
Looking for some long term impressions on Atomberg ceiling fans
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2022, 10:38   #9352
BHPian

I am thinking of replacing my existing fridge (13y old) with a new one which can work on UPS connection. The existing one is Samsung double door with 284l capacity. And I would like to buy around similar capacity. Budget is around 25-30k. Any recommendations please?
Also, how safe it is to buy from Amazon/Flipkart?
Old 20th March 2022, 11:23   #9353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looking for some long term impressions on Atomberg ceiling fans. How relevant are they in a city like Bangalore where the fans are not used full speed for the most part of the year? How is their long term reliability, say over 2-3 years?

In short, should I get them or stick to the good old ones?

Particularly interested in this model: https://atomberg.com/shop/ceiling-fa...e-ceiling-fan/

MaSh
I purchased an Atomberg fan last year, not the exact model when you are referring to, but I guess the working components remains the same. This fan is installed in my sons room and is running literally 24/7 especially during the COVID lockdown periods and thereafter. So far (after 1 year) of rigorous use I am satisfied with its performance.

It will make sense to go for BLDC (Brushless DC) fans if once usage is high, otherwise the payback period due to efficiency gain will be quite long. Also make sure to disconnect/bypass the fan regulator after installing any BLDC fan, as using electronic regulators may cause damage.
tj123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2022, 11:50   #9354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
I am thinking of replacing my existing fridge (13y old) with a new one which can work on UPS connection. The existing one is Samsung double door with 284l capacity. And I would like to buy around similar capacity. Budget is around 25-30k. Any recommendations please?
Also, how safe it is to buy from Amazon/Flipkart?
For UPS running the only practical solution is "Inverter" refrigerator, as it does not have the surge current during startup. Just remember to size the Inverter capacity (80% of rated value) and the battery size for duration.

I bought two Air conditioners from paytm store. In both the cases they were from LG and had installation as ell as warranty directly from LG. So while buying from Amazon ensure :

. The installation is by the manufacturer.
. The warranty (and extended warranty if applicable) is from the manufacturer and not the seller.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2022, 12:48   #9355
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
So far (after 1 year) of rigorous use I am satisfied with its performance.
Also make sure to disconnect/bypass the fan regulator after installing any BLDC fan, as using electronic regulators may cause damage.
Well said! I have 6 Atomberg ceiling fans (mix of WiFi & non-WiFi) bought at various times since 2017. Very happy with them. Looks are amazing and I love the low noise sweep and volume of air.

Atomberg even changed a couple of motherboard components FoC outside warranty. I will gradually change the remaining 5/6 'dumb' fans to Atomberg.
itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2022, 13:40   #9356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
The fridge feature list says Auto Smart Connect is present. DId you check if LG has any app with which you can set this ?
The LG app doesn't work with our fridge as it has no smarts at all. I still tried by scanning the few QR codes on the fridge and placing it near the diagnosis module. No luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
"Just place your smart phone on the appliance after dialing service center" and all will be sorted out.

Check the manual (if you have one) to see if it is possible to change the alarm settings through some USB port or some HMI on the fridge.
Yeah apparently the diagnosis module emits sounds that the service center folks use to troubleshoot the fridge over a phone call. No smarts otherwise.

No bluetooth/USB luck with this fridge :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Try the following tips:
https://doordodo.com/turning-lg-refr...-alarm-on-off/

Otherwise find the light sensor that triggers the alarm and cover it with some opaque tape.
Good idea. Sadly, it seems this fridge uses some other sort of door ajar system that isn't a sensor or a spring-loaded button. One downside of this, even if I figured out how to, would be that it would not turn on the fridge light.
hellmet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2022, 10:42   #9357
BHPian

Quote:
Looking for some long term impressions on Atomberg ceiling fans...
You need to be aware of the higher noise levels from the BLDC fans (irrespective of brand) compared to normal fans, I think the relative lack of weight in BLDC fans may be the root cause or they may need to evolve further in design to minimize the noise levels. Other than this, I have a couple of them doing regular duty for the last 6 months, no issues other than the noise.
Old 22nd March 2022, 14:33   #9358
BANNED

Above my kitchen counter, I had a board which has 2 sockets - one regular socket & one high wattage socket with a 16A switch. I connect the mixie & a drip coffee maker to the 2 sockets respectively. Now I am planning to move the microwave oven also from a different part of the kitchen to this place - so I now I need to support 3 connections - the mixie, the microwave & the coffee maker - the microwave obviously needs a heavy duty socket - how do I do this - I am not sure if I the electrician will be able to replace the board with a bigger board with 3 sockets - I don't think the hole in the tiles would allow that. So should I get an extender built with 2 16A sockets & plug that the existing socket & use the 2 new sockets for the microwave & the coffee maker? What is the best way to do this? I don't think I will need to run the coffee machine & the microwave at the same time - but if that gets done accidentally, would it be a problem?
Old 22nd March 2022, 14:49   #9359
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Above my kitchen counter, I had a board which has 2 sockets - one regular socket & one high wattage socket with a 16A switch. I connect the mixie & a drip coffee maker to the 2 sockets respectively. Now I am planning to move the microwave oven also from a different part of the kitchen to this place - so I now I need to support 3 connections - the mixie, the microwave & the coffee maker - the microwave obviously needs a heavy duty socket - how do I do this - I am not sure if I the electrician will be able to replace the board with a bigger board with 3 sockets - I don't think the hole in the tiles would allow that. So should I get an extender built with 2 16A sockets & plug that the existing socket & use the 2 new sockets for the microwave & the coffee maker? What is the best way to do this? I don't think I will need to run the coffee machine & the microwave at the same time - but if that gets done accidentally, would it be a problem?
We had a food processor and microwave in the kitchen with just one 16A point. (another 16A was permanently occupied by an instant geyser). I used a multi plug and kept the food processor and the microwave connected to the same point. Just made sure that we don't used both at the same time. This was the most cost-effective and clean solution.

Something like this:
https://www.amazon.in/Anchor-Pilot-M...s%2C275&sr=8-5

Just make sure that the output points are also 16A size and match your appliances.

Last edited by saket77 : 22nd March 2022 at 14:51.
Old 22nd March 2022, 15:11   #9360
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
We had a food processor and microwave in the kitchen with just one 16A point. (another 16A was permanently occupied by an instant geyser). I used a multi plug and kept the food processor and the microwave connected to the same point. Just made sure that we don't used both at the same time. This was the most cost-effective and clean solution.
The Home Appliance thread-plug.jpg - this is the plug board.

One of the switches says 16A & the other one doesn't say anything.

Now I need 2 16A connections & 1 regular connection - the multiplug you suggest - may not be sufficient - it increases the 2 sockets to 3 but with 1 16A & 2 regular.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks