Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2022, 12:55   #9286
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I also use a similar cycle, except I use a 1/2 tea spoon of methi to the mix.
AFAIK, we add methi seeds ONLY for the dosey batter, NOT idlies.
Old 10th February 2022, 12:56   #9287
Senior - BHPian

Can we have this discussion in the cooking/recipes thread please?
deathwalkr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 16:30   #9288
BHPian

Thanks for all the suggestions on kitchen knives. Rather than buying a set, bought a few individual Victorinox knives as suggested and couldn't be happier. Hopefully with proper care these should last us the next 10 years+!

------------

I am in a bit of another conundrum and would appreciate some suggestions if possible:

Our old "Relief" branded hot water geyser has packed up at the worst possible time. It's the worst possible time as both my wife and I have just got Covid and it really is too much of an inconvenience to heat water in the kitchen on the stove in a pan and bring it in a bucket etc etc. So I am just thinking the easiest solution would be to buy a new one.

We've used AO Smith products for years, specifically their water filters, and been very happy. So inclined to go with their water geyser range as well. Now my conundrum:

I can order a geyser on Amazon and it will be with me by tomorrow. However as we have Covid we can't get someone in to install it for at least another week. I don't really think we can wait that long. I am pretty comfortable with DIY, done quite a few projects around the house including plumbing pipes and taps, have my own set of tools, but never actually installed a geyzer. So am I right in saying that I guess the biggest job would be to drill the holes in the wall for the supporting bolts? How easy/difficult is it to get this right (considering that I would probably order a 25l model so looking at around 30-35kg in total when full that needs to be supported off the wall? Besides this I guess there are just 2 pipes to be connected, inlet and outlet?

Anything else I need to keep in mind? Inclined to go the DIY route but don't want to start something that I can't finish really.

Thanks for listening!
Old 14th February 2022, 16:43   #9289
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
T

I am in a bit of another conundrum and would appreciate some suggestions if possible:

Our old "Relief" branded hot water geyser has packed up at the worst possible time. It's the worst possible time as both my wife and I have just got Covid and it really is too much of an inconvenience to heat water in the kitchen on the stove in a pan and bring it in a bucket etc etc. So I am just thinking the easiest solution would be to buy a new one.

We've used AO Smith products for years, specifically their water filters, and been very happy. So inclined to go with their water geyser range as well. Now my conundrum:

I can order a geyser on Amazon and it will be with me by tomorrow. However as we have Covid we can't get someone in to install it for at least another week. I don't really think we can wait that long. I am pretty comfortable with DIY, done quite a few projects around the house including plumbing pipes and taps, have my own set of tools, but never actually installed a geyzer. So am I right in saying that I guess the biggest job would be to drill the holes in the wall for the supporting bolts? How easy/difficult is it to get this right (considering that I would probably order a 25l model so looking at around 30-35kg in total when full that needs to be supported off the wall? Besides this I guess there are just 2 pipes to be connected, inlet and outlet?

Anything else I need to keep in mind? Inclined to go the DIY route but don't want to start something that I can't finish really.

Thanks for listening!
Since you are suffering from COVID, you don't want to take up heavy physical activities now. Installing a geyser means drilling holes- though you will most likely get a paper template to drill them, but still; then you will need to lift that heavy thing to install. Water pipelines also need to be done.
So, for the time being, my suggestion will be get an immersion rod and use it. Much convenient and cheaper as compared to heating water on stove that you are currently doing.

You will soon recover and then you can call the installer and get the geyser installed finally.
saket77 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 17:02   #9290
Team-BHP Support

+1000 to the immersion rod suggestion. Please do not jeopardize your health further, the virus behaves in mysterious ways anyway.
Eddy is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 17:42   #9291
BHPian

Quote:

Installing such heavy water geysers would require use of Anchor bolts. These may or may not come with geyser. If not, now sure how you'd source during Covid isolation. Besides, these are going to big size bolts so you need to have that type of bit drill bit.

As suggested by others, may be it is easier to use immersion rod and then get some electrician to install it.
shipnil is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 18:01   #9292
Distinguished - BHPian

We have only a solar water heater. Of course, this city gets sun most weeks of the year, but for the very few that it doesn't, we just heat big pots of water on the stove. We've never thought it necessary to install electric backup or to buy an immersion-type heater. 16 years.

But hey, it's absolutely the wrong time for every-day gear to fail. Wishing you well soon.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 18:02   #9293
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for listening!
If you choose to buy immersion rod, buy the ones with temperature control/ auto cut off. I m using Havells branded one since 10 months. No worry of water boiling/rushing to switch off/electric short circuit and other hazards. Cuts off as soon as Set Temperature is reached
akhil_007 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 19:25   #9294
Senior - BHPian

Immersion heater is the way to go when every other device packs up.
https://www.amazon.in/Water-Immersio...mersion+Heater

There are quite a few "Shock Proof" models here, choose the one that suits you best.
Aroy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 22:01   #9295
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_007 View Post
If you choose to buy immersion rod, buy the ones with temperature control/ auto cut off. I m using Havells branded one since 10 months. No worry of water boiling/rushing to switch off/electric short circuit and other hazards. Cuts off as soon as Set Temperature is reached
My room mate learnt this the hard way.

Back in 2014, during winters we used to keep immersion heaters inside the bucket the previous night and would wake up to turn it on, doze off for another 15-20 minutes. He forgot to wake up after turning it on and guess what? The bucket melted, some plastic bits caught fire and the entire bathroom was lit up and in black fumes. He spent that weekend to painfully scrape the black soot off the walls and paint the bathroom all by himself.
Gannu_1 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 23:28   #9296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
So, for the time being, my suggestion will be get an immersion rod and use it. Much convenient and cheaper as compared to heating water on stove that you are currently doing.

You will soon recover and then you can call the installer and get the geyser installed finally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
+1000 to the immersion rod suggestion. Please do not jeopardize your health further, the virus behaves in mysterious ways anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
As suggested by others, may be it is easier to use immersion rod and then get some electrician to install it.
Thank you to everyone for the quick replies and suggestions. I agree, you are all right and it would be best to get the technician to come and install it after we recover. Will look into an immersion rod asap as that would definitely make life easier for the coming few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
But hey, it's absolutely the wrong time for every-day gear to fail. Wishing you well soon.
Thank you for the wishes - I think the worst is over and we are on our way back up. Fortunately we had it relatively mild.

Thanks again everyone.
s4ch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 07:34   #9297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
My room mate learnt this the hard way.

The bucket melted, some plastic bits caught fire and the entire bathroom was lit up and in black fumes. He spent that weekend to painfully scrape the black soot...
Havells Immersion heater HP15 Auto 1500 Watt (Blue) https://www.amazon.in/dp/B088ZS9BG6

Now, centuries later, we have "shockproof" and thermostat controlled immersion water heaters! I'm guessing, it's thanks to manufacturers in China. Somehow "Thermostat", "Auto cut off" and other safety features have not been mandated by ISI!
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Appliance thread-screenshot_20220215073304_amazon.png  

Last edited by mvadg : 15th February 2022 at 07:39.
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 03:30   #9298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post

I forgot to mention I need to take it with me for international travel. Looking for something upto 5kg weight max. The grinder thingie is 10+ kg, so not in consideration.
Plus I need a juicer/ blender jar for smoothies and the food processor attachment for batter/ aata.
I think you can look for a Vitamix or similar. Good reviews on Youtube for this brand by people using it for making idli dosa batter.
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 22:35   #9299
BHPian

Wife wants to buy a bullet blender. I know in US Nutri bullet is very famous and it is costly in India. Don't want to spend so much. Need something in reasonable price and decent power for the work it is in intended for. Don't want to go overboard and buy something which is bigger in size. Want something which doesn't occupy lot of kitchen platform real estate.
Old 23rd February 2022, 06:10   #9300
BHPian

My in laws are planning to go for under sink RO. Any pointers or suggestions would really help.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks