Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2022, 11:10   #9316
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by @og_adi View Post
BHPians, I have a Farberware deep fryer living in a shelf for about 6 years now (not sure ) as I never really bothered getting a proper voltage converter for it. The only time I tried getting another product to work, I experimented with a wrong converter and hence wouldn't want to do the same again. The power ratings of the product are- 1200W, 120V~ 60Hz as mentioned on the box.

Attaching the link of the product-
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Farberwar...andle/46528741
User manual-
Attachment 2279864

Please suggest any suitable converters for this product and if possible attach links directing to the purchase site.

Thanks in advance!
It is best to get a step down transformer - 240V to 120V custom made. Here in Delhi there are shops which do it. Just ensure that :

. The primary and secondary winding are separate, that it is not an auto-transformer (Just one coil for input with a tapping for 120V). It will be twice as expensive but worth the cost.
. Have them wind a layer of thing wire between two winding, and connect this to Earth.
. I had a similar transformer around 50 years ago, but sold it when all the 120V appliances reached their end of life.

https://www.amazon.in/Isolated-stepd.../dp/B0867PCWYY

https://www.voltage-converter-transf...r-ce-certified

https://stcmr.in/index.php?route=pro...egory&path=172

https://www.flipkart.com/syspro-rang...m66ad10dadbb63

https://www.amazon.in/220V-110V-Conv...73TXKRPR&psc=1

https://www.amazon.in/AX-Voltage-Con.../dp/B013G745L8

Last edited by Aroy : 4th March 2022 at 11:14.
Aroy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2022, 15:32   #9317
BHPian

This thing will work fine as long as you use it for products that have only heating element like Rice cooker,Fryer, Toaster. If there is a motor in it then don't use it.

https://www.amazon.in/MX-Voltage-CONVERTOR-CONVERTS-SINUSOIDAL/dp/B00IMRH93Y/ref=sr_1_47?crid=15SDAX39KAL6S&keywords=220v+to+11 0v+step+down&qid=1646388023&s=electronics&sprefix= 220+v+to+110+v+stepdown+voltage+converter+usa+%2Ce lectronics%2C326&sr=1-47
BeingHuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2022, 17:45   #9318
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep View Post
I think you mean that a step down transformer/converter is required to convert 240V to 120V.
Yes, step down, not step up.
Old 4th March 2022, 17:48   #9319
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by @og_adi View Post
Quick question to all-
Will a product like this work with my appliance?-
OREI World (USA, UK, China & More) to India (Type D) Travel Adapter Plug - 2 in 1 - CE Certified - RoHS Compliant - White Color (DB-10) https://www.amazon.in/dp/B005JK5O3O/...20YXVBBXKKH451

The description says the product can support products upto 3000W and steps down the voltage to 120V.

Thank you.
The description says it will not work.

From the description
Quote:
NOTE: These adapters do not convert voltage. The AC voltage in N. America is 120V so make sure that your electronics are compatible with worldwide voltage range 100-240V when using wit these adapters in India on 220-240V.
carboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2022, 19:08   #9320
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyone here using a Kaff OR Faber ductless chimney in their kitchen? Looking for inputs on
a)how frequently you need to replace the filter.
b)typical cost of filter + ease of changing filter.
c)heat dissipation - my understanding is that hot air is let out from top of chimney after filtering grime.
c)any other pros and cons that need to be considered before investing in the same.

Thinking of investing in a ductless chimney as I don't want a duct running across the length of the kitchen.
Old 6th March 2022, 19:58   #9321
Distinguished - BHPian

Kaff here, but it is 15 years old.
Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Never: it is a stainless-steel grill thing
Quote:
consequently, nothing. Just needs to be washed every so often.
Quote:
c)heat dissipation - my understanding is that hot air is let out from top of chimney after filtering grime.
Heat and fumes are removed from the room: it is vented to the outside.
It would defeat the object if it wasn't. I gets rid of cooking smells as well as grease. I even turn it on if I am chopping an onion
Quote:
Thinking of investing in a ductless chimney as I don't want a duct running across the length of the kitchen.
As per above, I'm doubting that there is much point
Old 6th March 2022, 20:01   #9322
Team-BHP Support

We have a Faber ductless chimney in one house and Kaff duct chimney at parents'. For the ductless chimney:

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Once a year. And wash/clean the covers below the filters once a quarter/less or more depending on your cooking.

Quote:
About 1k for the filters, 1.5k including servicing, done by the company guy. Servicing includes thorough cleaning.

Quote:
Yes. Have a duct chimney in parents house, didn't find a noticeable difference in heat dissipation.

Quote:
c)any other pros and cons that need to be considered before investing in the same.
Pro of ductless: ease of installation (you don't need to drill big holes, or route the exhaust pipes away) + you don't need permission (if you're in a society) for external piping.

I'm not sure if there's much difference in efficiency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Never: it is a stainless-steel grill thing

consequently, nothing. Just needs to be washed every so often.
Eh? The filter is activated carbon/charcoal, isn't it.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 6th March 2022 at 20:04.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2022, 22:18   #9323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Am looking to sell my 2019 purchased Blue Star 1.5 ton 3 star rated split air conditioning unit which I bought for 40k. It's in perfect shape and the reason for disposal is I am moving out and in the process of disposing off most of my appliances, yet I am being quoted ridiculous prices 5-7k by repair shops dealing in used appliances. Posting it online hasn't evoked much response either. Anyone with experience in these matters can suggest how much these items go for? This is in kolkata

Also, how much does it cost to uninstall and reinstall split units? I am hearing excuses like all the cooling gas will have to be replaced during the process so not too many buyers for used units etc etc
Unfortunately those are the prices one gets. I have sold plenty of ACs in the past few years and mostly I got around 4 to 7k for them. There is no issue with gas leakage as the installer can close the valve before removal.
Old 6th March 2022, 22:52   #9324
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Eh? The filter is activated carbon/charcoal, isn't it.
No, nothing fancy like like. Maybe that came in for later models.

Ours is like layers of mesh.

The Kaff guy will clean it if he is called. If I clean it, I use one of those All-Purpose-Cleaners that strips oil from car engines
Old 7th March 2022, 05:54   #9325
BHPian

Quote:
The Kaff guy will clean it if he is called. If I clean it, I use one of those All-Purpose-Cleaners that strips oil from car engines
I use the Dishwasher for my chimney filters, about every 18 days. The Dishwasher does a fantastic job of removing the thick oil.
manim is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2022, 07:38   #9326
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But then how does steel help in absorbing the exhaust from the cooking? Our chimney has a steel mesh grill but when you remove those, you'll see the actual filters: activated carbon. Yes, the steel grill gets all oily but it's the filters that do the job. Please check once.

We clean the steel grill, the company guy changes the filters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
I use the Dishwasher for my chimney filters, about every 18 days. The Dishwasher does a fantastic job of removing the thick oil.
Over time, the dishwasher will have a lot of oil and smell residue, that'll affect when you wash regular utensils?
Old 7th March 2022, 09:52   #9327
Team-BHP Support

Any recommendations for appliance rental? We may need a washing machine for a month or so in Gurgaon. They're sold out on RentoMojo and Furlenco. (A maid / self-service is to be avoided as much as possible )
Old 7th March 2022, 12:38   #9328
BHPian

Quote:
I use one of those All-Purpose-Cleaners that strips oil from car engines
Haven't tried this, but I have used caustic soda - works great.

I picked up the process / know-how(!) from Urban-Company guy that had come to clean up our chimneys. If I am pressed for time, we outsource the task to Urban Company and they have so far been very good [no affiliations].
Old 7th March 2022, 13:27   #9329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
Haven't tried this, but I have used caustic soda - works great.

I picked up the process / know-how(!) from Urban-Company guy that had come to clean up our chimneys. If I am pressed for time, we outsource the task to Urban Company and they have so far been very good [no affiliations].
All that is needed is chemicals that can dissolve the oils. Detergents of various strength are ideal. We wash the chimney filter in hot water + detergent bar and that is enough.
Old 7th March 2022, 13:36   #9330
BHPian

Quote:
No, nothing fancy like like. Maybe that came in for later models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
But then how does steel help in absorbing the exhaust from the cooking? Our chimney has a steel mesh grill but when you remove those, you'll see the actual filters: activated carbon. Yes, the steel grill gets all oily but it's the filters that do the job. Please check once.

We clean the steel grill, the company guy changes the filters.

Over time, the dishwasher will have a lot of oil and smell residue, that'll affect when you wash regular utensils?
Ductless chimneys trap everything in their activated carbon filters, so you supposedly get pure air out, which is blown back into your kitchen. In a ducted chimney, the filters are set up to trap only oil fumes, the rest are blown out of the house to be taken care of by nature.

You cannot clean carbon filters, you could possibly regenerate them.

Ordinary filters that trap oil can be cleaned using detergent or caustic soda or limonene based cleaners.
mvadg is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks