Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2021, 22:58   #8566
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

I don't find air fryers attractive at all. I like my chips (not "french fries", and no, those chips are crips /BritPedants'R'us ) deep fried in oil. I like the process; I like the result.

However, I know people with an air fryer, and they love it.

There are also disadvantages to deep frying other than health. My oldest friend refused to keep a pan of hot oil on the stove when his youngster was born; spilled hot oil is so dangerous. Unattended and forgotten, they are a big fire risk, and most people, not knowing how to put out an oil fire, will turn their crisis into a lethal catastrophe*.

I can really see why people want an alternative to deep frying, but I would find it hard to give up.

*Throw water on it and you get an explosion.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 23:10   #8567
BHPian

Aren't air fryers just convection ovens with much better and higher CFM fans. Convection ovens have a big upper hand due to the capacity and versatility and I would rather buy that instead, if you don't already have one.
rdst_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 10:15   #8568
BHPian

I have both an air fryer (6 years) and a convection MWO which is 1 yr old, but haven't used it much in the exclusive convection mode after forming basic impressions. Here is my perspective:

* The Air fryer and the convection mode of the MWO both use the same principle, but for smaller portions the former is much more convenient and efficient. The point to note is that it is a purpose-built appliance rather than being a jack of all trades.

* For larger amounts, the convection mode of the MWO is more convenient. But that is a relatively inefficient way of cooking. The hot air flow in the cavity is not well optimized (unlike that in an well-designed air fryer), -- a much larger volume, and the body, get heated up unnecessarily, with a lot of energy wasted. My Air fryer consumes 1.4 kW max, vs. upwards of 2.1 kW for the convection mode of the MWO. And I think it takes longer in the convection mode as well. Of course, the combo modes in the MWO can be useful.

* I didn't buy the MWO for its convection mode. But if one already has one, it may make more sense to first form a feel for what purpose it could serve, before deciding whether purchasing an air fryer in addition makes much sense.

* Air fryers are rather overpriced for what they are, IMHO (like my Philips, but that is much better built too, compared to some other, cheaper, brands, like Prestige). The flipside is, the simple mechanism can be kept in good repair without too much pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
I've made fries in a convection oven - you will need to turn them over if you are fastidious and want uniform crisping, and I'm guessing that the airflow in the air fryer is strong enough to heat all sides evenly.

Actually it's necessary to shake the air fryer basket during cooking too. It is small, so things can't always be spread out in a single layer. A shake helps bring things in the middle come out for direct hot air exposure. I guess something like an wire-mesh tray like that in an air fryer (rather than a solid bottom pan) would help in the convection oven too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
... its excellent for reheating certain types of food as well.

Yes, it excels in reheating rotis, naans and the like, -- just like a microwave oven excels in reheating rice dishes.

Quote:
... easy to use and clean (just pop it in the dishwasher).
It's no fun cleaning my Philips air fryer basket manually, -- the so-called 'non-stick' surface doesn't work so well, and It's a pain to clean the wire mesh.
meerkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 01:09   #8569
BHPian

Hi, anyone using Water Softener from Eureka Forbes?

Thinking about fixing one unit in the bathroom as the water quality from overhead tank has deteriorated drastically.

Current hardness level is around 200.
Old 4th February 2021, 10:58   #8570
BANNED

About the vacuum cleaner discussion we had few days back. I ended up buying Amazon Basics wet and dry 1400 W. It seems to be a new launch. Ticks all our requirements except one - it has a dust bag. At ₹ 5300, it is less than 2x the price of a microfiber mop - at least the one linked by Thad. Uses a 2 pin 6A plug (no earth!!!) on a 5 meter long non-retractable cable. The flexible hose too is real long. Having used a Hitachi 1200W cleaner later used by the kids as a racing car, and an unbranded Chinese import from the local supermarket, I'm quite happy after first use.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 23:19   #8571
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
About the vacuum cleaner discussion we had few days back. I ended up buying Amazon Basics wet and dry 1400 W. ...
That sounds good.

I have owned a Dyson: I was sad that it was submerged in the Chennai flood. It was one of the cheapest Dyson models ever made, but the then-unique-to-them technology works well. I really miss it for cleaning inside the computer, behind furniture, and the mass of dust that seems to accumulate among my nests of wires and cables. I would not buy another one at Dyson prices.

Congratulations on getting a reasonable-price cleaner. Even if you go on mopping, it will be a useful thing to have.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2021, 06:55   #8572
Senior - BHPian

OMG, your dyson submerged in the floods? How did that happen. I too love the machine for what it does. On another note, is anybody using a Cold Press juicer? Kuvings is really good
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I have owned a Dyson: I was sad that it was submerged in the Chennai flood.

Last edited by Sebring : 5th February 2021 at 06:56.
Old 5th February 2021, 09:18   #8573
Distinguished - BHPian

Got a Kent Cyclone VC:

The Home Appliance thread-kent.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
I ended up buying Amazon Basics wet and dry 1400 W. ..
Speaking of amazon basics products. I heard that these are basically good copies of much better products created by others. So some one creates a good product, even lists it on Amazon. And big bro sees the success of these products - so copies it. And the original company/person suffers. Chinese way by an american company.
Old 5th February 2021, 10:06   #8574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Speaking of amazon basics products. I heard that these are basically good copies of much better products created by others. So some one creates a good product, even lists it on Amazon. And big bro sees the success of these products - so copies it. And the original company/person suffers. Chinese way by an american company.
It may not be so from what my associate tells me. He supplies cotton garments. Amazon contacted him with lots of conditions to supply them a batch of material which they sell under Solimo or Amazon basic. They drive a hard deal. So they end up getting a better deal from the manufacturer. The price at which the manufacturer sells anywhere else is higher than what Amazon sells for now. It is not going to remain like this for long.
Old 6th February 2021, 11:10   #8575
BHPian

Hi.
Finally now I have decided to change my almost decade old Videocon Semi-automatic Washing Machine since it is giving more trouble recently. Was using after small repairs lastcouple of years. Homemaker also opines the same now. So lets give the economy a boost.

I want Semi-auto only. Which is good reliable WM in the market today? No auto please since some clothes we prefer hand wash then dry in machine. Previous was also Videocon. Which are having good tubs and mechanicals?
I may check on Sunday i.e. tomorrow in shop.
Old 6th February 2021, 11:39   #8576
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroFuel View Post
No auto please since some clothes we prefer hand wash then dry in machine.
Almost all fully automatic machines have a setting by which you can just do the spin cycle while not doing the earlier washing cycles. Or just rinse and spin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
So they end up getting a better deal from the manufacturer. The price at which the manufacturer sells anywhere else is higher than what Amazon sells for now. It is not going to remain like this for long.
There is no reason for it to not remain like this. This is called White Labeling & it's an old practice in other countries for a long time - it predates online stores like Amazon. Even offline grocery chains in other countries have white label goods - everything from milk to OTC medication to cleaning supplies to batteries to everything else. It's usually manufactured by the same manufacturer who sells branded goods also at the same shop. The manufacturer also benefits because they can also get sales from the cost conscious customer without diluting their brand.

Last edited by carboy : 6th February 2021 at 11:45.
carboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2021, 07:47   #8577
BHPian

I am looking for a larger refrigerator. Right now we have a 230liter double door typical fridge which is about 13 years old.
We are finding the space too less - the fridge part is less. The freezer is more than we need being a vegetarian family - all we store are some frozen vegetables and icecream apart from ice.

Most side by side ones have the entire left side to be the freezer - which is a complete waste for us. Any models that have a small freezer but more of regular fridge? Some models allow to 'convert' the freezer to fridge but I don't want to convert all of it too. Some small portion of the freezer is essential.

Any suggestions?
Old 7th February 2021, 10:07   #8578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
...I am looking for a larger refrigerator. Some small portion of the freezer is essential. Any suggestions?...
You need a Multi-Door or French Door Convertible Refrigerator. I only see such models from Samsung.

Here is a 594L model (3 parts fridge, 1 part freezer).
UPS_Guru is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2021, 12:58   #8579
BHPian

Dear fellow members,

I am looking for two machines - Washing machine with dryer and Dishwasher.
I came across these two but appreciate any good recommendations or feedback on these. Thanks in advance.

https://www.samsung.com/in/washers-a...d70m4443jw-tl/
https://www.lg.com/in/dishwasher/lg-DFB424FP
Old 14th February 2021, 00:16   #8580
BHPian

Hi BHPians,

I'd like to explain to you a harrowing experience I'm going through related to Hindware Cristallo 25L water geyser recently purchased by me. I'm having sleepless nights fearing death by electrocution due to the faulty geyser. Below are the details of the scenario point by point:

Quote:
I'm writing this post to draw attention towards multiple problems and manufacturing defects in Hindware Cristallo 25L Geyser with serial number XXXX purchased by me on 14-December-2020. I'm really disappointed with the after sales and service support provided to me by Hindware appliances and have lost all trust in the brand. Through this mail, I'd like to describe the various life threatening issues in the product and would request you to replace the dangerous and hazardous geyser.

Below is the sequence of events pertaining to the defective geyser:
  • Hindware Cristallo 25L Geyser with serial number XXXX was purchased by me on 14-December-2020 from "New Parkash Electronics" shop in Amritsar.
  • After purchasing the geyser on 14-December 2020, me and my family kept on using the geyser for a few days and within a few weeks, we noticed that at times, there is electricity present in the hot water coming from Hindware geyser. Also, some water droplets were observed at the base plastic cover of the geyser.
  • For a few days, we were unable to ascertain the cause of electricity and as a precautionary measure we started avoiding bathing altogether while geyser was on.
  • On 31-January-2021, I experienced a very strong electric shock while having a bath and fell unconscious for a few moments. I was rescued by my family and later on diagnosing the geyser, it was found that there was electricity flowing into water and taps from the Hindware geyser. Also, it was found that there was no current in water or taps if Hindware geyser was switched off. Hence, it was confirmed that Hindware geyser is the hazardous device and it is life threatening to use it anymore.
  • On 1-Feb-2021, I registered complaint number WHR135XXX1 with Hindware customer care telephone number 1800-103-3300 and explained all the details to the telephone customer care executive. Hindware executive assured me that the problem will be solved in 24-48 hours. However, neither the service engineer, nor the customer care executive contacted me for resolution of the hazardous problem in this 48 hour time period.
  • On 3-Feb-2021, I escalated the matter via Hindware Android Mobile app "Follow Up" option and via telephone customer care which fell on deaf ears and still no follow up / resolution was provided upto mid day.
  • It was on 3-Feb-2021 evening time that after I expressed my pain and helplessness to the Hindware telephone customer care executive that he provided me the telephone number of "Multi Service Centre, Amritsar" to whom my request was assigned. On calling up "Multi Service Centre", I was informed that the service engineer will visit my house on 4-Feb-2021 and the problem will be resolved.
  • However, on 4-Feb-2021, "Multi Service Centre" informed me that they cannot send the engineer and I'll have to wait further.
  • On contacting Hindware telephone customer care on 5-Feb-2021 and escalating again, phone number of "Mr. Varun Gupta (Area manager of Hindware)" was provided. It was only after I called Mr. Varun and he intervened, that service engineer Mr. Shamsher Singh actually contacted me and agreed to visit my house on 6-Feb-2021 for resolving the issue.
  • On 6-Feb-2021, Service Engineer Mr. Shamsher Singh visited my house and he was made aware of the fact that there is electric current at times in hot water and tap connected to geyser and also, some water has been observed below the geyser on geyser base plastic cover. Hindware engineer opened the geyser base plastic cover and diagnosed the problem to be due to the bad heating element. While he serviced, I observed that the steel plate holding the heating element in place is badly rusted which felt abnormal considering the fact that this geyser is a newly purchased item. Engineer replaced the heating element and fitted the geyser and asked me for the call closure code(which I shared with him) and he closed the complaint. It must be noted here that the replaced heating element was visually different from the original element and had some key differences from original heating element as following:
    The original element had 1 heating element coil and 2 separate hollow rods for inserting safety devices/sensors while the new replacement heating element has 1 heating coil and only 1 hollow rod for safety device/sensor. Due to the difference in hollow rod count, service engineer forcibly inserted 2 different safety device/sensor probes in a single hollow rod of heating element. I think the safety of Hindware geyser is compromised due to this change as the replacement element is different from the original element.
    Secondly, the heating element connectors of the original heating element were of screw type while the new heating element had spade connectors welded strongly to base screws. Due to this discrepancy, the service engineer manually(forcibly) broke the spade connectors of the new heating element to reveal the screw type connectors underneath them. However, due to forcible breakage, the threads of screws were compromised and nuts from the original heating element connection could not be fitted to the new replacement heating element. Hence, Hindware service engineer used makeshift connectors which, I fear, can break again at any point of time and electrocute my family.
  • It must be noted here that none of my family members were able to use the geyser during the period from 1-Feb-2021 to 6-Feb-2021 and we lived without having bath for 6 days in a row.
  • On 7-Feb-2021, I started bathing using hot running water from Hindware geyser, only to find out that electric current is still present in water and I was electrocuted once again by the faulty geyser. It was also noticed that a lot of water droplets are flowing out of the plastic base cover of Hindware geyser now which was shocking considering that the electricity connections to heating element, thermostat and thermal safety devices are present in the base plastic cover and presence of water in cover meant water is present in those electric connections.
  • On 8-Feb-2021, I registered complaint number WHR136XXX2 related to water leakage and electric current in water again and was again assured that the problem will be solved in 48 hours.
  • No service engineer visited my home in the next 48 hours, thereby again missing the agreed upon deadline and service SLA timing.
  • On 11-Feb-2021, Hindware service engineer Mr. Shamsher Singh visited my house to diagnose the problem and found the bolts/studs holding the heating element in place to be defective that caused water leakage. He brought new bolts/studs from the local market (non Hindware product) and installed them. He then demonstrated to us that the problem is resolved now, only to discover within 10 minutes time and in front of my family that water seepage is again happening and there is a pool of water accumulated in the base plastic cover and all electric components and connectors are again filled with water, thereby putting everyone's life in danger.
  • Service engineer then opened the base rubber seal again and tightened it again. While he was servicing, I observed that the entire base of the geyser tank is heavily rusted and both the steel plate holding the heating element in place and the Hindware glass lined steel tank is rusted and studs/bolts can fall off any time due to heavy rusting due to water leakage and compromised structure. Service engineer again demonstrated to us that the problem is resolved, only to discover within 20-25 minutes time that water leakage is still there.
  • Service engineer opened the geyser for the 3rd time in a row and this time, wrapped the rubber seal with teflon tape. This time, I noticed that the glass coating(dark blue coloured) of the steel tank has been scratched due to multiple repairs carried out on the geyser and as a result, bare steel metal is visible in place of glass coating, thereby compromising the glass lined tank as well. This 3rd time demonstration of problem resolution failed again and water seepage was observed despite wrapping teflon tape on rubber seal by service engineer.
  • It was at this point that I had a word with Hindware Area Manager Mr. Varun Gupta and Mr. Yogesh on phone call and asked for the replacement of the whole unit, which was blatantly refused by both of them saying that only repairs will be performed as per Hindware company policy. Mr. Yogesh went to the lengths of saying that I'm a foolish person and I'm just making up the problems related to rusting out of my mind and Hindware products do not have any such issue. He even mentioned that since the water tank has 7 years of warranty period, I can register a new complaint in future if I ever get electrocuted again due to leakage arising out of rust and structural damage. Needless to say, I was stunned at hearing this and had no words in response to his notion of "registering complaint in future if I ever get electrocuted again due to water tank damage".
  • Meanwhile, the service engineer informed me that he has ordered a new rubber seal for the product and the same will be installed on 13-Feb-2021 and left my house after that.
  • Till now, I haven't heard back from the service engineer so far and the problem of water seepage and electrocution still exists in the Hindware geyser.
  • My family hasn't bathed for the period from 8-Feb-2021 to 12-Feb-2021 for the second week in a row now.
  • Furthermore, I tried heating the water carefully on 13-February-2021 as I required bathing to travel outside the house for some urgent task, only to discover that the newly installed replacement heating element hasn't been able to heat the water to the maximum temperature setting even after operating the geyser for more than 1.5 hours time. I suspect the newly installed replacement heating element(with different safety devices probe count and compromised connectors) to be of different specifications or quality that led to such slow performance of Hindware geyser.
  • Service complaint WHR137XXX3 has been opened up for poor performance of replacement heating element on 13-Feb-2021.
  • As of the date, geyser is still leaking water, it still passes electricity in water(causing electrocution) and replacement heating element is still performing poorly. Complaint numbers "WHR136XXX2" and "WHR137XXX3" still stand unresolved.
As shown by the above sequence of events and hazardous, life threatening issues, Hindware should be replacing the defectively manufactured geyser and replace it with a new geyser which is devoid of all the above mentioned problems in favour of my life and and to avoid an unfortunate deathdue to electrocution from this Hindware geyser.
I'm attaching reference videos and pictures confirming the problem.

The Home Appliance thread-img_20210213_200322.jpg

The Home Appliance thread-img_20210213_200327.jpg

The Home Appliance thread-img_20210213_200315.jpg

Last edited by sarav100 : 14th February 2021 at 00:18. Reason: Corrected the context as per post
sarav100 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks