Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2021, 14:48   #8596
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Bump:
Any suggestions/recommendations for ceiling fans ?
Would be good to have some idea before shortlisting.
Crompton has some really simple elegant ones with long blades. We have a couple and found them to be better compared to Havells
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 15:01   #8597
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Have a slightly unique requirement.

We have a calling bell on the ground floor. However, if we are on the first floor then I cannot hear someone ringing the bell even though the bell is pretty loud. Hence is there a calling bell which comes in pairs , the main one will be mounted where the existing calling bell is present and the satellite one will be placed on the first floor and connected to a power supply?
We live on two floors, and have wired two bells one on each floor to the same switch. Any competent electrician can do the wiring.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 15:33   #8598
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Bump:
I would highly recommend going for a BLDC fan. Super Fan and Atomberg are good makes.

I use 4 ceiling fans from SuperFan, and they consume just 35W at max speed. At speed 3 which we normally use, they consume below 20W of power. I also use a wall fan from Atomberg and that consumes just 25W of power at full speed. I mostly use at low speed which takes about 6W of power and is more than enough for a 8x8 feet room.

Though these fans are a little expensive initially, if they are used 8 hours a day, they will give ROI in less than two years.
graaja is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 16:36   #8599
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer012 View Post
Hope this works, search for doorbells with multiple wireless receivers
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Saw similar products before posting the query here. But this has its own dedicated switch. I want to use the existing door bell switch.
Wireless is the way to go: replace that original wired button!

Having said that, I have got through several cheap wireless bell-push/bell sets That only last a year or three. Anyway: singles sets only --- although it is probably possible to tweak the frequency tuning.

I now have stuff made by Uni-Com and bought in UK. Two bells, two bell-pushes. Either bell-push rings both bells, but with a different tone. One bell is plug-in, the other is battery. Wish it was on sale here, although the price would be high.
Old 15th February 2021, 17:39   #8600
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
I would highly recommend going for a BLDC fan. Super Fan and Atomberg are good makes.
Thanks so much, had never heard of these brands before

I'm looking for 2 fans for a fairly large room about 12' x 15', will probably go with the Superfan V1.

The price also seems decent because even regular ceiling fans from Havells seem to cost 4k and upwards!
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 17:39   #8601
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I now have stuff made by Uni-Com and bought in UK. Two bells, two bell-pushes. Either bell-push rings both bells, but with a different tone. One bell is plug-in, the other is battery. Wish it was on sale here, although the price would be high.
Later...

I think this is the two battery-bell plus bell-push pack, but anyway illustrates that we can get it... at almost twice the UK price.

Desert Cart, India @ Rs.4,478
Amazon.UK @ GBP 23.99

Cuurent Fx is about Rs.100 to the GBP, so the conversion and comparison is easy.

I actually think it is worth the local UK prices I paid (at a Robert Dyas shop) if not more. The quality feel is substantially higher than the ones I bought here. GBP 30.98 for a two pack with one extra bell-push in October '19.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 18:24   #8602
BHPian

Quote:
Bump:
If you want a regular fan, I would recommend Crompton Greaves Gianna in matte brown for around 2800 per piece
Bought it in December and it's super duper fast and looks good too!

Name:  cromptonceilingfan500x500.png
Views: 822
Size:  68.5 KB
RavSam is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 19:19   #8603
BANNED

Quote:
Bump:
Try the BLDC ones. Tgese use a permanent magnet instead using electricity to induce magnetic field. Power consumption is lower, it seems. There are ones with and without remotes. While normal fans are below ₹ 2k, BLDC ones are around ₹ 3.5k. (Non re.ote ones). Have not used them, though. Do wait for others responses.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 19:30   #8604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
Is there any brick and mortar store in Bengaluru where I can get a replacement membrane keypad for a Panasonic oven (Model nn-c784wf)? The Start button on the old one we have at home no longer works.

I got a urban company guy to come and take a look and he basically suggested to get the keypad replaced with micro-switches (I had already seen this approach on Youtube...not a fan of it).
Managed to get the keypad membrane for the chinese equivalent model of the Oven on Flipkart (my mistake was that I kept looking for it on Amazon). Took sometime over the weekend to watch Youtube videos and figure out how go about replacing the keypad.

Since the Urban clap guy had asked for Rs. 500/- to fix the keypad if I source it for him, I decided to go ahead and do it myself today. Came out okay and now the Oven can sit gathering dust on the kitchen counter while being perfectly functional.
JithinR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 19:44   #8605
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks so much, had never heard of these brands before

I'm looking for 2 fans for a fairly large room about 12' x 15', will probably go with the Superfan V1.

The price also seems decent because even regular ceiling fans from Havells seem to cost 4k and upwards!
A few caveats. I have one Superfan (one of the earliest ones), had a couple of glitches and had to ship them back to Coimbatore at my expense for repairs under warranty. You should check if they now have a local service center. Works OK, but not thrilled.

This model has a LED indicator on the fan that is quite bright, which is not a problem when the fan is running because it is normally off and blinks only when the speed is changed. The problem arises when you switch off the fan using the remote, in this state the LED stays on and is extremely annoying. I have not checked the power consumption in this state and my guess is that it is not insignificant.

I also ordered an Atomberg pedestal fan from Amazon (thanks to their return policy), and returned it. It would not turn on after power failed and resumed, you would have to use the remote/buttons on the fan to turn it back on. Also it consumed 7 watts on standby, IIRC. I believe this is not the case with their ceiling fans, but I have not verified it.

I really wish our regular fans used higher efficiency AC induction motors. Also, don't go by the wattage ratings given by the manufacturer /seller on Amazon - one fan claimed to use just 52 watts, but actually used 75 (unfortunately, I measured it long past the return period). Very difficult to find the models recommended by the bijlibachao site because manufacturers quickly discontinue the highly efficient models and instead sell a "new and improved" version
mvadg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 20:14   #8606
Senior - BHPian

We have BLDC fans at home (Atomberg & Orient), but the benefits in power bills are not discernible. Maybe, when summer truly hits Bengaluru and fans are ON all the time, we will know
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Try the BLDC ones. These use a permanent magnet instead using electricity to induce magnetic field. Power consumption is lower, it seems. There are ones with and without remotes. While normal fans are below ₹ 2k, BLDC ones are around ₹ 3.5k. (Non re.ote ones). Have not used them, though. Do wait for others responses.
Attached Images

Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 20:33   #8607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bump:
There are 3 types of fans in the current market. The cost mentioned below is that of the base model and better designs would cost more. I will take Orient as example.
1) Traditional fans (75W) - Orient regular ones (~Rs 2000)
2) Invertor fans (32W) - Orient Hector 500 (~Rs 2800)
3) BLDC fans (32W) - Orient Ecotech (~3300)

Traditional fans & inverter fans work with normal wall regulators.
For BLDC,
1) Wall regulator has to be bypassed
2) Fan operation is via remote

Some of these fans support IoT and can be controlled via mobile app (eg: Orient ifloat, Aeroslim). This feature will add ~Rs 2000 to a similar non-IoT fan model.

Another famous BLDC brand is Atomberg. Hope this helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
Any suggestions?
Note that 500L+ fridges are at least 30 inches in width & depth. Ensure there is enough space throughout to transport it to its final place.

Last edited by msdivy : 15th February 2021 at 20:42.
msdivy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 20:40   #8608
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
There are 3 types of fans in the current market. The cost mentioned below is that of the base model and better designs would cost more. I will take Orient as example.
1) Traditional fans (75W) - Orient regular ones (~Rs 2000)
2) Invertor fans (32W) - Orient Hector 500 (~Rs 2800)
3) BLDC fans (32W) - Orient Ecotech (~3300)

Traditional fans & inverter fans work with normal wall regulators.
For BLDC,
1) Wall regulator has to be bypassed
2) Fan operation is via remote

Some of these fans support IoT and can be controlled via mobile app (eg: Orient ifloat, Aeroslim). This feature will add ~Rs 2000 to a similar non-IoT fan model.

Another famous BLDC brand is Atomberg. Hope this helps.
What is a inverter fan? If they have magnets in them they are BLDC. Only the regular induction fans don't. There is no such thing as a inverter Fan.

I have installed BLDC fans from nearly all manufactures.
Old 15th February 2021, 21:26   #8609
BHPian

My washing machine starts rotating every time we wash the cloths, currently using LG front load washing machine, each time we wash it get rotate . I have tried keeping it on a stand but still it facing the same issue, Any suggestion .
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Appliance thread-b9af71866e8c46608065d8cec7fec3ca.jpeg  

Old 15th February 2021, 21:48   #8610
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIY410 View Post
What is a inverter fan?
No idea about internal construction. This is what Orient claims:
1) https://www.orientelectric.com/fan/c...series/i-float

2) https://www.orientelectric.com/fan/c...ers/hector-500

Most Viewed