Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2023, 16:30   #10096
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocycle View Post
Thanks. I will keep looking. The kitchen Aid looks good but I wasn't prepared to spend that much . May be, I will have to convince my wife somehow. I have a convection microweb oven at home and feel that another OTG may not fit in the kitchen space. I also have a Black & Decker George Forman style grill that can accommodate 5 breads on the plate but have found that bread were earlier coming out rather dry so hadn't explored much on that. I will give that a try again by adjusting some settings/timing of that till I find something what I am looking for.
Have heard KitchenAid quality has fallen considerably in recent years but if we're talking about expensive toasters, you might as well go with the iconic Dualit toasters (if they were available in India of course!):
https://uk.buymeonce.com/collections...lassic-toaster

Most people I know who have one (my in laws, grandparents, etc) bought or got given one decades ago and the things just keep on trucking. The ability to repair them is also such a great feature in today's use and throw era. I wonder if there are similar domestic options in India.

In all honesty though, I feel with all pop up toasters it's just a case of trial and error and working out what settings you need for your desired toasting and that's going from the likes of cheap as chips plasticky ones to even those tank like Dualit toasters.
ads11 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2023, 16:36   #10097
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
Samsung appliances quality has degraded in recent times.

Also, now I think twice before buying Samsung.
I was planning to recommend a Samsung fridge to my friend over Whirlpool/LG. Personally seen lots of Samsung fridges that lasted for 12-15 years.
Old 18th July 2023, 16:43   #10098
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
I was planning to recommend a Samsung fridge to my friend over Whirlpool/LG. Personally seen lots of Samsung fridges that lasted for 12-15 years.
My money will be on LG refrigerator based on experience as outlined in my previous post.
Aviator_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2023, 17:54   #10099
BANNED

Quote:
My money will be on LG refrigerator based on experience as outlined in my previous post.
But LG is having very less features compared to Samsung at any price-point. And, shopkeepers keep recommending Samsung.

What about Whirlpool?
Old 18th July 2023, 18:30   #10100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
But LG is having very less features compared to Samsung at any price-point. And, shopkeepers keep recommending Samsung.

What about Whirlpool?
Is that so? I thought LG and Samsung are similar in features /price point. Shopkeeper would push whichever model they get more commission from or is slow moving.
Try buying a LED TV from a shop and you will hardly find a shopkeepr pushing Sony.

My parents have Whirlpool fridge but they have faced regular issues of all sorts. Now looking for a replacement for them and mostly would go with LG.

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 18th July 2023 at 18:51.
Aviator_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2023, 18:47   #10101
BHPian

I am planning to replace my 11.5 year old IFB front load washing machine. I am thinking whether to go for another IFB or the market leader LG. It seems that all LG lodels are inverter type. I am a bit sceptical about the long term reliability of inverter type models. If anyone knows about it please help
Old 18th July 2023, 21:24   #10102
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICHE View Post
I am planning to replace my 11.5 year old IFB front load washing machine. I am thinking whether to go for another IFB or the market leader LG. It seems that all LG lodels are inverter type. I am a bit sceptical about the long term reliability of inverter type models. If anyone knows about it please help
Using an inverter type front-loader from LG for the last 10 years.

No issues except the motherboard was repaired for Rs.2600.
mithun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2023, 21:56   #10103
BHPian

Quote:
My parents have Whirlpool fridge but they have faced regular issues of all sorts. Now looking for a replacement for them and mostly would go with LG.
Agree with you Sir.

I am using a LG 325 litre double door refrigerator for the last 16 years and it still works like new.

Though the quality has deteriorated over a period of time, LG is still worth putting your money on.
aviator1101 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 00:04   #10104
Distinguished - BHPian

The appliance that a person has had for ten, fifteen or twenty years, without problem, does not mean that the same brand bought today will. They don't make them like they used to. It really is better to go by experiences of stuff bought in the last few years.

It is a shame that life has to be like this, but it is.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 03:53   #10105
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The appliance that a person has had for ten, fifteen or twenty years, without problem, does not mean that the same brand bought today will. They don't make them like they used to. It really is better to go by experiences of stuff bought in the last few years.
Absolutely. My parent's LG CRT TV lasted 10 years with zero issues & was finally given away just because it was old & no other reason. My LG LED has given some major problem or the other every year after 3 years.

Quote:
I am planning to replace my 11.5 year old IFB front load washing machine.
What major repairs in 11.5 years? My IFB top loader had to have it's suspension replaced in 3 years - luckily under warranty. Else, it would have cost 4-5K. The repair guy said it lasts maximum for 4-5 years.
Old 19th July 2023, 07:36   #10106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
What major repairs in 11.5 years? My IFB top loader had to have it's suspension replaced in 3 years - luckily under warranty. Else, it would have cost 4-5K. The repair guy said it lasts maximum for 4-5 years.
Suspension was replaced 3 times. Drum was replaced at around 9 years. It stopped working 2 days back. Technician checked and said it could be issue with motor or board. He feels it is more likely to be motor issue. So I was thinking whether to replace main parts of this old machine or go with a new one.
Old 19th July 2023, 08:35   #10107
BANNED

Quote:
Suspension was replaced 3 times. Drum was replaced at around 9 years.
I would suggest an LG or Samsung. They are surely going to have lesser issues even with an inverter.
carboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 19:57   #10108
BANNED

What is conversion between wattage in LED bulbs & CFL bulbs? If I want to replace an LED bulb for say 10W with a CFL bulb - what wattage should I choose?
Old 19th July 2023, 21:25   #10109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
What is conversion between wattage in LED bulbs & CFL bulbs? If I want to replace an LED bulb for say 10W with a CFL bulb - what wattage should I choose?
If you're asking in terms of the brightness and light output, wouldn't the metric be lumens that you're after to compare your LED bulb to a CFL one?
Old 19th July 2023, 22:40   #10110
BANNED

Incandescent bulbs give 14 lumens per watt. CFLs give 60. LEDs provide 72 lumens per watt.

Both CFL and LEDs provide two or more colour temperature option. Higher temperature means cooler light. Lower light temperature takes you closer to the colour of the incandescent bulb's light.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks