Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2023, 11:29   #10156
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Need to replace geyser in one of our bathrooms.
Any recommendation among these 2?
Or anything better than these?
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Appliance thread-img_0455.png  

The Home Appliance thread-img_0454.png  

Old 21st December 2023, 12:29   #10157
BHPian

I would say go with digital display. You can really save electricity and set the max temperatures for auto-cut off. We have both AO smith and Havells and these are really good.
If you add smart plug 16Amp where you can set schedule and timer. All our heavy devices are now equipped with Wipro Smart Plugs.
Old 9th January 2024, 15:51   #10158
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Guys, please suggest a good Microwave around 10-15k budget? Which are the reliable brands & which ones to avoid?
Old 10th January 2024, 16:17   #10159
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Guys, please suggest a good Microwave around 10-15k budget. Which are the reliable brands & which ones to avoid?
After using the LG 28 L Convection Microwave Oven (MC2846SL) for three years, I remain highly satisfied with both the oven and LG's reputation for quality. It also fits your budget.
Polo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2024, 19:52   #10160
BHPian

Folks, can a Convention Microwave Oven be placed within a ply cabinet with 3 sides closed and front left open? Assuming 3 or 4 inches of clearance is given at sides, top and rear. Also assuming the oven won't be used for prolonged periods. Reference image below. TIA.

Name:  Oven.png
Views: 241
Size:  133.1 KB

Last edited by Funny : 10th January 2024 at 19:55.
Old 11th January 2024, 10:53   #10161
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
If you have not yet purchased it, I suggest you go for cylindrical shape ones than these cubes shaped. These do not keep water hot for long once the hot water is running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post
Folks, can a Convention Microwave Oven be placed within a ply cabinet with 3 sides closed and front left open? Assuming 3 or 4 inches of clearance is given at sides, top and rear. Also assuming the oven won't be used for prolonged periods. Reference image below. TIA.

Attachment 2556844
4 inch clearance on all sides should be sufficient.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2024, 15:29   #10162
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDIS_RE650 View Post
I would say go with digital display. You can really save electricity and set the max temperatures for auto-cut off. We have both AO smith and Havells and these are really good.
If you add smart plug 16Amp where you can set schedule and timer. All our heavy devices are now equipped with Wipro Smart Plugs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
If you have not yet purchased it, I suggest you go for cylindrical shape ones than these cubes shaped. These do not keep water hot for long once the hot water is running.
The thermostat for our 11 year old Racold conked off and I am not able to source the original thermostat; tried local parts but they are not reliable- hence have decided to change the geyser itself. After doing my research, I have opted for Vguard- 25ltr cylindrical geyser with incoloy 800 heater element with LCD temperature display. The spare parts should come comparatively easier in case of any issue and the service center is close by. The geyser will be delivered tomorrow. I already use a smart plug for the geyser. Also the LCD temperature display should help in normal operation- if it needs to be switched on or not thereby reducing the electric consumption.
Old 12th January 2024, 18:18   #10163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post
Folks, can a Convention Microwave Oven be placed within a ply cabinet with 3 sides closed and front left open? Assuming 3 or 4 inches of clearance is given at sides, top and rear. Also assuming the oven won't be used for prolonged periods.
Most microwave ovens have a small fan to cool the Magnetron and the power electronics if it is an inverter type. That means you need to provide sufficient space where the fan grill is located to ease its job.

Having said that if you use the oven at 50 % or less (for thawing frozen food) capacity for a few minutes, you might get away without harming expensive components (depending on your ambient temperature).

But for serious cooking use, get at least 5 inches on each side.
Prowler is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th January 2024, 12:47   #10164
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Picked up an Atomberg Renesa BLDC wall-mounted fan for use in our study..
Picked up 2x 1400 Renesa ceiling fans with remote in the black hub and white spokes configuration. Looks the smartest I feel. Will replace one drawing room and a bedroom fan.

Total will be 7x 1200/1400 + 1x 400 ceiling fans + 1x wall fan!
Old 14th January 2024, 13:34   #10165
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyone using a smart whole home electrical panel? Something that can coexist next to the MCB setup but let me know remotely what is being consumed by which circuit?

Can be ‘read only’ but a robust and permanent solution.
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2024, 19:12   #10166
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
But for serious cooking use, get at least 5 inches on each side.
Agree 100%. For stuff like cooking rice etc, you need a lot of space on all vented sides to release the moisture.

We made that mistake and rusted our Samsung microwave. However, Samsung assured us that there is no issue for normal warming up, and we have now anyway bought a dedicated rice cooker.
Old 20th January 2024, 12:51   #10167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasadS View Post
[b]

Are Inverter+stabilizer combos good? Also are there any smart stabilizers which help us keep a track of exact Electricity units used. I've lost faith on MSEDCL meters due to humungous bills we've had recently without cause.

Looking forward to your suggestions and experiences

Hi. I’ve been using a servo Stabilizer for the whole house right after the meter box. Add SPDs after the main and inside the house and to plug points where expensive electronics are plugged as servo Stabilizers are not designed to arrest sudden surge. Buy home appliances with inbuilt inverter wherever possible.

Since installing this setup there’s been no electronic appliances damage for the past 3 years.

This setup saved all my electronic appliances even when the lightning arrestors on the cellphone towers opposite my house attracted a huge lightning strike and the resulting rising ground potential damaged electronic appliances of the entire neighbouring houses.
Dr Alpha is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2024, 17:09   #10168
Senior - BHPian

Guys, appreciate suggestions for the below appliances:
- Water purifier (will replace an existing 8 year old Aquaguard with water tank). I dont really know much about RO etc. input water is from Pune corporation, no issues with hard water etc. Need a water tank, thats about all
- Dishwasher (to support existing manual dishwasher). Need large capacity as we are 4 at home and do fiddle around a lot in the kitchen. Would help if can be installed higher than ground level to avoid doing my ab crunches at weird times of the day.
- Robotic mopping solution. Never had one before, but need a reliable one to keep the house clean.
- 3 in 1 sandwich/ waffle maker/ grill. will replace 13 year old philips unit. looking for one with heft, that will heat/ melt contents within thick sandwiches.

All the above to have good maintenance support in Pune in case any issue crops up. As with everyone, would be best if it works without any issues in the first place.

thanks in advance!
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2024, 21:06   #10169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Guys, appreciate suggestions for the below appliances:
- Water purifier (will replace an existing 8 year old Aquaguard with water tank). I dont really know much about RO etc. input water is from Pune corporation, no issues with hard water etc. Need a water tank, thats about all
- Dishwasher (to support existing manual dishwasher). Need large capacity as we are 4 at home and do fiddle around a lot in the kitchen. Would help if can be installed higher than ground level to avoid doing my ab crunches at weird times of the day.
- Robotic mopping solution.
thanks in advance!
Water purifier—Its a necessity, but then we all get trapped in the yearly AMC charges ( which sort of covers the filter replacements). We had Kent earlier and then we switched to Aquaguard 3-4 years and ago and now stuck with 4-5k yearly AMC charges on a machine that costed only 15k when we bought it! I think Aquaguard is still a very reliable brand, you cannot go wrong with it. The newer models are expensive, especially the ones with hot water option.

Dishwasher—We bought a LG dishwasher during the COVID situation, quite happy with it. We also have a Bosch in the family, and thats been quite reliable as well. Bosch as a brand has been manufacturing dishwashers for a long time now, so should be your default choice. LG is the only other mainstream manufacturer who seems to have been manufacturing dishwashers for quite some time now and also has favourable reviews. We picked LG because many reviews stated that the LG dishwasher does the drying part better ( and i think it does ). However a lot of other manufacturers got in to this dishwasher manufacturing business post COVID, so im not sure about their history. Best to stick with Bosch or LG.

Robotic cleaning—Bought a Mi Robotic vacuum cleaner during COVID and sold it within a week. Found it to be fairly useless. My friend has i-Robot, in-fact he has 2, one for dry vacuum and another one for wet mopping. He is quite happy with it, but buying 2 such devices can be quite expensive and also im not sure about its practicality.
motorworks is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2024, 21:38   #10170
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Water purifier—Its a necessity, but then we all get trapped in the yearly AMC charges ( which sort of covers the filter replacements).
Tired and frustrated with that nonsense, I have moved to

1. https://www.mi.com/in/mi-smart-water-purifier/ in my flat. Change candles on your own after ordering online.

2. https://drinkprime.in/ lease the RO at these very good rates. This is in my in-laws flat.

I am very happy with both and will never ever buy a Aqua Guard product ever again.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks