Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2023, 19:43   #10141
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Need Stabilizer and inverter suggestions for 3BHK flat

Greetings fellow BHP'ians. I'll soon be moving to a new 3BHK flat. I am thinking to get a single stabilizer which can be used for the entire house(If any such thing exists).

In the old house, over the years, we already have had 6 to 7 fried pcb's of O'general inverter ac’s and many other devices having issues.

Are Inverter+stabilizer combos good? Also are there any smart stabilizers which help us keep a track of exact Electricity units used. I've lost faith on MSEDCL meters due to humungous bills we've had recently without cause.

Looking forward to your suggestions and experiences
Old 21st September 2023, 19:59   #10142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasadS View Post

Greetings fellow BHP'ians. I'll soon be moving to a new 3BHK flat. I am thinking to get a single stabilizer which can be used for the entire house(If any such thing exists).

In the old house, over the years, we already have had 6 to 7 fried pcb's of O'general inverter ac’s and many other devices having issues.

Are Inverter+stabilizer combos good? Also are there any smart stabilizers which help us keep a track of exact Electricity units used. I've lost faith on MSEDCL meters due to humungous bills we've had recently without cause.

I don't know if single stabilizer thing exists which you asked for. But I have installed individual stabilizers for ACs and Fridge. Using UPS for TV, Set top box and WiFi router to avoid interruptions during switch over to apartment generator, it also protects from voltage fluctuations.

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 21st September 2023 at 20:01.
Aviator_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2023, 10:46   #10143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Stabilizers come in different size, starting at 1KVA and ending in 100's of KVA rating. There are single phase and 3 phase ones also.

The types of stabilizers available are

. Normal relay actuated. These are normally what you see in the market.
. Servo stabilizers. These have servo motor
. Solid state stabilizers

None of these have surge protection agains voiltage spikes or sudden voltage fluctuations. What you need is decided by

. If voltage fluctuates, then a stabilizer, else none
. If protection against voltake spikes, then spike arrestors

You can add spike arrestors tpo stabilizers to protect against bot.

Now the type

Mechanical stabilizers are fine for slowly varying voltage, but useless agains rapid changes. For example if the input changes fro 190 to 240 suddenly(happens when a large load in the mains is awitched off), the voltage will rise to 240*(240/190) ~ 300V, you equipment is gone. Electronic stabilizers react much faster. In fact in such situations you are better off without a stabilizer.

On Inverter AC's. Modern ones (at least my LG Inverter) are stabilizer free to a large extent.

Safety Plus due to improved voltage free range (120V~290V).
https://www.lg.com/in/split-ac/lg-rs-q14enze

So instead of investing in costly whole house stabilizers, invest in Modern Inverter AC's. More peace of mind.
Surf the net for these devices and install them in the main distribution box.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2023, 12:55   #10144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post

On Inverter AC's. Modern ones (at least my LG Inverter) are stabilizer free to a large extent.
Now a days many appliances like AC, fridge etc are boasting of in-built stabilizer. However, I'll take it with a pinch of salt. One of the persons in my circle burnt his fingers by trusting this claim of in-built protection. Appliance conked off and the service technician laughed when he was pointed to the in-built stabilizer claim by the company.

Lesson learnt : In-built stabilizer would only help to an extent. It is always better to have additional protection in the form of stabilizer for expensive appliances.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 24th October 2023 at 10:55. Reason: typos
Aviator_guy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2023, 13:31   #10145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
Now a days many appliances like AC, fridge etc are boasting of in-built stabilizer. However, I'll take it with a pinch of salt. One of the persons in my circle burnt his fingers by trusting this claim of in-built protection. Appliance conked off and the service technician laughed when he was pointed to the in-built stabilizer claim by the company.

Lesson learnt : In-built stabilizer would only help to an extent. It is always better to have additional protection in the form of stabilizer for expensive appliances.
One generic question about built-in stabilizer vs external stabilizer. If the internal stabilizer fails I would expect the appliance company to repair/replace the whole appliance under warranty, but if the external stabilizer fails and if the appliance is affected does the stabilizer company bear the repair costs of the appliance?

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 24th October 2023 at 10:55. Reason: quoted post edited.
Old 22nd September 2023, 18:13   #10146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobsterB View Post
One generic question about built-in stabilizer vs external stabilizer. If the internal stabilizer fails I would expect the appliance company to repair/replace the whole appliance under warranty, but if the external stabilizer fails and if the appliance is affected does the stabilizer company bear the repair costs of the appliance?
Good question that. They just replace the stabilizer if under warranty.

But remember Belkin surge protectors offering amount upto a few Lakhs for devices that failed whilst connected to their surge protectors.

https://www.belkin.com/support-artic...ticleNum=46037

No clue if anyone has availed of it. Still have a few of those surge protectors and they are pretty good.
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2023, 11:49   #10147
Senior - BHPian

The modern inverter appliances do not have an "in built stabilizer". What they have is electronics that coverts AC to DC (inverter) and that is designed to function perfectly with a large swing in input voltage, any where between 110V to 300V depending on the design. My LG AC is rated for 120V to 290V input voltage uses DC for all functions - Motor, Compressor PCB etc.

So, if the appliance is advertised with "in built stabilizer", they do not refer to Inverter Based appliances.

NOTE:

Inspite of wide range of input, Inverter based appliances do "blow" at high voltages, i.e. spikes. So use 'spike protection' devices of suitable ratings to safeguard your appliances.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 24th October 2023 at 10:57. Reason: Typos and formatting.
Aroy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th September 2023, 18:09   #10148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
In addition, as I have been saying this many times in this forum, get a MOV (metal Oxide Varistor) rated at 300 V and 40 A at every supply point of your sensitive electronics/electric equipment. This will prevent damage to your expensive electronics.
Hi @Prowler, do you have any advice on using this device Havells Type 3 Surge Protection Adaptor. Would this serve as an alternative to a Type1+2 SPD (stuff from Havells and Schneider is well over 15k, not to mention the labor costs to get it installed)>

I am back at my parents place after a long while and I wanted to tackle this terminal surge protection point that I remember you talking about. But I am worried about installing an MOV in the socket for fear of it bursting into flames and causing an electrical fire (might just be my pessimistic thinking ). If Indian plugs came fused like the British ones we used abroad, then perhaps I would have an easier time convincing my dad to install the MOV.
JithinR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2023, 15:05   #10149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
Hi @Prowler, do you have any advice on using this device Havells Type 3 Surge Protection Adaptor. Would this serve as an alternative to a Type1+2 SPD (stuff from Havells and Schneider is well over 15k, not to mention the labor costs to get it installed)
But I am worried about installing an MOV in the socket for fear of it bursting into flames and causing an electrical fire (might just be my pessimistic thinking ). If Indian plugs came fused like the British ones we used abroad, then perhaps I would have an easier time convincing my dad to install the MOV.
I understand your apprehension, Jithin.
Your Havells Surge Protection adapter would do the job if it is adequately rated for your connected device.
If it is 6 A device, it will protect your electronics -like TV, Laptop, Home theater etc.

For Airconditioners and Microwave Ovens rated at 1000 VA or above you need something like 16 A rated device. This might help:https://www.amazon.in/Smart-Plug-Pro...dp/B00O0L5DDE/

The metal plug that normally used in ACs would still pose a problem as it would not fit. In such case, I still would advise you to order a MOV and ask an electrician to fit the MOV inside the metal box containing the MCB and the 20 A metal socket. This MOV comes after the MCB which means if it forms a crowbar short in the event of a surge, the MCB would trip and protect the expensive gear downstream.

A MOV 45 A/275 V would cost about Rs.60/- and the labor would be about Rs.100/- (assuming you already have a metal box and MCB).

The inverter ACs have power electronics and they need protection from transients and surges. One of the main reasons why electronics fail is this.
Prowler is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2023, 12:36   #10150
Distinguished - BHPian

Has anyone bought the Ariete brand of Italian ovens here? Global reviews seem pretty good.

What is the optimum oven size I should be looking at? 48? I was wondering if 30 might be too small.
Old 29th October 2023, 09:22   #10151
BHPian

Guys, Any good recommendation for Induction Stove? I don't prefer any made in China ones. Too many niggles/issues in those :-(.
Old 30th October 2023, 09:38   #10152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
Guys, Any good recommendation for Induction Stove? I don't prefer any made in China ones. Too many niggles/issues in those :-(.
As long as you're aware of the limitations of the common single Induction stoves in the Indian market (along with the limitations of the pots and pans that go with them), and it isn't intended to replace your gas stove, I'd recommend the Philips 4928/9.
Old 13th November 2023, 11:00   #10153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This needs the consultation of a professional electrician who can advise the right solution.

You need to identify the cause of those devices failing. Bombay has one of the most stable power grids in India that I doubt if voltage fluctuations are a thing. If you are facing this issue, all your neighbors should be too. Talk to them. Ask them what they have done. People are not going to tolerate bad power destroying equipment at the rate you've indicated.

Identify the root cause of the issue before plonking big bucks on whatever the solution is.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2023, 11:37   #10154
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Bombay has one of the most stable power grids in India that I doubt if voltage fluctuations are a thing.

Absolutely no fluctuations. Never used a surge protector or stabilizer ever in Mumbai.
carboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2023, 20:29   #10155
Senior - BHPian

I have a 2 years old Samsung QLED 50" LED TV. Last couple of days, I can hear a mild 'kut kut' sound (crackling sound) from the speakers which is quite persistent every few seconds. Would be logging a complaint with Samsung but wanted to check if anyone here have faced similar issue and how it was resolved?

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 14th November 2023 at 20:32.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks