Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2023, 10:57   #10081
BANNED

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
So I suggest that if the MW goes bad, call the authorised samsung service.
If this is re my question about my Samsung Microwave being slow to turn on, I did call Samsung authorised service. The phone guy said mostly likely a capacitor has gone bad. He said we can send a service guy right away but it's better if you use the Microwave & never switch it off & call us only when it actually stops turning on or gives other issues.

Which is what I am doing currently, except that it has been accidentally turned off once. I was actually wondering if someone sells a switchguard which makes you jump through hoops to switch off a switch.

BTW, my Samsung Microwave is very basic - it's a 23 Litre box costing around 5,000 Rs.
Old 6th July 2023, 10:58   #10082
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
And here it is! Apologies for the casual pictures; need to properly arrange the covers.
Quoting myself - as some are aware, we've recently bought an Electrolux UltimateCare 300 vented dryer.

https://www.electrolux.in/appliances/dryers/edv754h3wb/

While the machine is truly excellent and we are very happy with it, there is a major stumbling block!

It seems it is not equipped with an 'auto-restart function' and hence stays tripped after each power cut. Given that Bangalore has among the shoddiest of electrical infrastructure among the metro cities, this has placed us in an unenviable situation for someone to manually press the continue button every time the power comes back on!

Electrolux India are saying it is a 'safety feature' because 'it gets hot', and it is the same in most dryers sold in India. From our own experience, our previous IFB and Galanz (Chinese brand) certainly had auto-restart.

Can other owners of branded dryers please comment?
Old 6th July 2023, 12:03   #10083
BHPian

Quote:
Speaking for the Samsung dryer I got my mum, it does know to resume it's prior cycle if for whatever reason the power gets disconnected in the interim. But iirc you have to go to the panel and select OK to resume the previous cycle.
ads11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2023, 12:25   #10084
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quoting myself - as some are aware, we've recently bought an Electrolux UltimateCare 300 vented dryer.

https://www.electrolux.in/appliances/dryers/edv754h3wb/

...It seems it is not equipped with an 'auto-restart function' and hence stays tripped after each power cut. [/b]
I have IFB dryer and it resumes the cycle after the power outage.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 6th July 2023 at 13:39. Reason: Trimmed quote
Aviator_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2023, 13:02   #10085
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ads11 View Post
Speaking for the Samsung dryer I got my mum, it does know to resume it's prior cycle if for whatever reason the power gets disconnected in the interim. But iirc you have to go to the panel and select OK to resume the previous cycle.
Mine has the same logic. It resumes the cycle but only after someone manually presses the relevant physical button. Am at my wit's end as I have to train the family to 'resume' it every time the power comes back in BLR!

Will you please check with your mum?
Old 6th July 2023, 13:38   #10086
BHPian

Quote:
Mine has the same logic. It resumes the cycle but only after someone manually presses the relevant physical button. Am at my wit's end as I have to train the family to 'resume' it every time the power comes back in BLR!

Will you please check with your mum?
I have the washing machine equivalent of the same dryer and the controls and behaviour are the same on the two. For mine I know that if power turned off for whatever reason at the mains and that only happened when our electricity meter zeroed out, you have to go to the touch panel and press the button to resume cycle. It'll be the same for the dryer. I can see how it would be annoying if it was a regular occurrence. What I'm less sure of is what happens when you try to restart it remotely via the Smart Things app. You usually have to enable the Smart control via the button on the panel from my experience, before you can run everything from your phone/TV.
ads11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2023, 16:35   #10087
BANNED

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for a toaster (mostly pop-up as I have a convection microweb oven as another form factor). I am looking for suggestion for which model/brand to go for. Looking for an elegant looking and easy to manage toaster that toasts the breads evenly. If anyone has any feedback to share, I would love to hear it.

Thanks a lot.
Old 15th July 2023, 12:29   #10088
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocycle View Post
Hi Everyone,

I am looking for a toaster (mostly pop-up as I have a convection microweb oven as another form factor). I am looking for suggestion for which model/brand to go for. Looking for an elegant looking and easy to manage toaster that toasts the breads evenly. If anyone has any feedback to share, I would love to hear it.

Thanks a lot.
You get toasters that can take one, two or four breads at a time. So first decide which suits you best.

I have yet to come across a toaster that toasts bread evenly and consistently. As the toaster heats up it takes less and less time to toast. So you have to keep decreasing the time constantly.

So ultimately I have found that a 10L OTG has the best performance. You can also toast open sandwitches not feasible in a normal toaster.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2023, 12:37   #10089
BHPian

Quote:

Electrolux India are saying it is a 'safety feature' because 'it gets hot', and it is the same in most dryers sold in India. From our own experience, our previous IFB and Galanz (Chinese brand) certainly had auto-restart.

It is a safety feature and a miss in the other machines mentioned above. You rather bear this behaviour,than ending up damaged clothes.

Last edited by aadya : 15th July 2023 at 12:37. Reason: grammar
Old 16th July 2023, 08:21   #10090
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadya View Post
It is a safety feature and a miss in the other machines mentioned above. You rather bear this behaviour,than ending up damaged clothes.
Still confused! Why should it be a safety feature to stop an auto-restart when the power comes back on? We typically have any number of 'high power' appliances like ACs, washing machines, microwaves, toasters, heaters, geysers, refrigerators running (and auto-restarting) 24 x 7.

What is so special about a tumble dryer?

Last edited by itwasntme : 16th July 2023 at 08:24.
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2023, 08:37   #10091
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadya View Post
How will clothes get damaged by autorestart?
carboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2023, 15:33   #10092
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocycle View Post
Hi Everyone,

Quote:
I have yet to come across a toaster that toasts bread evenly and consistently. As the toaster heats up it takes less and less time to toast. So you have to keep decreasing the time constantly.
If toasting evenly is a prime objective, try this KitchenAid motorized one. It self centres the slice and tries to adapt the time based on whether it is warmed up or not. But, it is a lot more expensive than the 10L OTG option...
LobsterB is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2023, 10:29   #10093
BANNED

Quote:
So ultimately I have found that a 10L OTG has the best performance. You can also toast open sandwitches not feasible in a normal toaster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LobsterB View Post
If toasting evenly is a prime objective, try this KitchenAid motorized one.
Thanks. I will keep looking. The kitchen Aid looks good but I wasn't prepared to spend that much . May be, I will have to convince my wife somehow. I have a convection microweb oven at home and feel that another OTG may not fit in the kitchen space. I also have a Black & Decker George Forman style grill that can accommodate 5 breads on the plate but have found that bread were earlier coming out rather dry so hadn't explored much on that. I will give that a try again by adjusting some settings/timing of that till I find something what I am looking for.

Last edited by ottocycle : 17th July 2023 at 10:37.
Old 17th July 2023, 11:21   #10094
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What is so special about a tumble dryer?
I am assuming its something which they didn't include since the regular market of theirs don't have issues with regular power outages. So to get over that, they came up with the safety angle.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2023, 12:22   #10095
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
I am assuming its something which they didn't include since the regular market of theirs don't have issues with regular power outages. So to get over that, they came up with the safety angle.
Agree, this machine is a 'CBU' from Thailand. Definitely not Indianized in any manner as their own internal SKU for this machine is the same globally.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks