Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2023, 00:36   #10051
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Is it safe to use the stove? does any one know if the glass alone can be procured?
I feel that you should ask both these questions of the manufacturer or service centre.

If it was me, I'd go on using it if it seems safe and there is no escape of gas. But I'd hate my opinion to compromise your family's safety!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2023, 08:51   #10052
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satnan View Post
I had recently bought 5x atomberg renesa (1x 1400 and 4x1200) and 2x crompton silent pro. Using them for more than a month and haven't faced any wobbling issues so far (touch wood).

One of the atomberg fans (the 1400 one) developed an issue though. Speed started going up and down randomly. Called the atomberg technician and issue was fixed after the motor was replaced under warranty (it took about a week's time for the replacement).

I feel the air flow slightly lower on the crompton silent pro. In my opinion, the main advantages here are better looks (may be subjective) and the 5 year warranty offered. Noise is slightly lower, but I am not sure if that alone justifies the higher price.

Did not face this issue at all. All the shops I visited had major brands available.
Thanks. How is airflow with the Atomberg 1200mm fan? Does it cover area adjacent to immediately below the fan? I'd like to install the fan in my kids room (12x11) and looking for good air circulation all around. Also are you happy with Atomberg fans apart from the issue you faced? Did you get it installed by a local technician or opted for company service?

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 5th June 2023 at 08:52.
Old 5th June 2023, 10:51   #10053
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
I accidentally broke the glass of the glass top stove. The broken glass is removed and just the stove metal skeleton remains. The gas pipes going to the burner are now visible. Is it safe to use the stove in this way temporarily until we get it repaired. And also does any one know if the glass alone can be procured and fitted by the service center?
While it may be safe to use, I really wouldn't feel comfortable about using it. A gas stove is an appliance where the slightest of wrongs can lead to rather distressing situations.

Contact the service center and get the glass changed if it's an expensive unit. Otherwise buy a new one.

I am pretty paranoid about such things so my advice would reflect that
deathwalkr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th June 2023, 06:52   #10054
Senior - BHPian

We picked up a Samsung Jet 70 Pet recently. It was on sale with a $212 discount.

Cleaning the house is my responsibility. I've been doing this with our trusted Philips Power Pro Expert FC9728. One heck of powerful machine. Does an outstanding job of hard floors, carpets, the car and even our garage. In short, we use it for everything. It is so powerful that you need to turn down the power else it gets hard to vacuum, especially on carpets as the floor tool seals tight.

The one gripe with the above vacuum was the chord, dragging around a machine and the noise it makes. We made peace with it for over 3+ years as it did the job. The thoughts been playing on my mind to try a cordless stick vacuum. I could not digest spending >$1000 for a Dyson and started scouting around for cheaper brands. Some contenders were the Xiaomi G11, the Shark IZ202 and Midea P7 Max. The first two are proven products. The Midea was unknown territory. The Samsung was added out of the blue because of a Sale and at just $100 over the Xiaomi and Shark, I thought we'd buy a product from a more known household name. Spares and Support should be better. Note that the Shark are leaders in the vacuum space, in general. They make excellent machines.

Its been a week since we picked up the Samsung Jet 70 Pet. In one word, its a purchase that is totally worth it.

Positives:
  • Ultra Light, compact and Quiet operation (for a vacuum)
  • No chord, main vacuum unit dragging behind you
  • Good suction even at the Medium setting
  • Ease of handling. Weight is well balanced
  • Good materials and build quality
  • Washable filters
  • Integrated charging station

Negatives:
  • Low battery life
  • Not entirely convinced with cleaning a carpet. The Philips does better
  • Can't take the abuse of a corded vacuum
  • The charging station cannot charge a spare battery while the unit is placed
  • Not the best at handling hair
  • Small bin

The ease of operation is the main selling point about this cordless stick vacuum (or any stick vacuum). Pick it up from the charging cradle and get going. Its so light and easy to move around. You walk with it without having to care about a cable dragging behind. The Turbo action floor brush has a bristle and sort of rubber blade spinning at high speed. This picks up all the fine dust and debris on the ground. You don't really need to move the stick back and forth too as you would with a traditional vacuum. The powered floor tool picks up most things in one forward pass.

While the battery backup seems to work well for us, I'm not sure it will be enough for a larger home. More so, if the entire house is layered with a carpet. Also; the battery backup is only 10 minutes at Full Power! Cleaning a carpet puts an additional load on the Turbo Action brush (higher resistance) which means more load on the battery.

On the abuse front, I don't think this is a vacuum where you want to smash into the feet of your dining table chairs or sofa. You will likely cause some damage. With our Philips, I couldn't care less and the floor tool keeps hitting the sofa feet from time to time. As with any appliance, use it carefully and you're all good.

The bin isn't as big as some of the competitor products at .8l. Emptying isn't at the bottom too, like a Dyson and some other brands are. You need to unhook the bin from the main unit (which is easy), take out the filter and invert the bin into your dustbin or recycle bin.

I noticed that the Turbo Action brush coils up hair a bit. From time to time, you'll need to snip the rolled up hair and take them out by hand.

The charging station or dock is a wall mount unit which can hold the stick vacuum and two spare tools with it. Very neat. Charging time is 3 hours for a flat battery. The Samsung Jet 90 gives you the option to charge the main unit and a spare battery. This is not possible with the Jet 70 Pet dock.

Operation is simple with touch control buttons. Power adjustment is via a +/- button. The vacuum can detect specific tools attached and adjust power accordingly. You don't need to hold down the trigger button (like you do with a Dyson) to keep the vacuum running. This can be a seen as a positive or negative.

The one thing I noticed between our Samsung and the latest Dyson (even some of the older ones), the motorized floor brush rotating head is about twice the size of most brands. Its possible this makes the Dyson more effective at capturing debris on the floor.

For those considering alternatives to the mighty Dyson, this Samsung comes Highly Recommended.
The Home Appliance thread-img20230604wa0009.jpg

The Home Appliance thread-img20230604wa0015.jpeg

A size comparison with a standard home vacuum cleaner. Got to Thank Dyson for introducing the concept of a cordless stick vacuum. Its a game changer.
The Home Appliance thread-img_20230607_142246.jpg
With the unit mounted on its charging cradle.
The Home Appliance thread-img_20230607_142125.jpg

Last edited by graaja : 9th June 2023 at 05:23. Reason: Merging posts as requested
sandeepmohan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st June 2023, 12:55   #10055
BHPian

Considering to buy karcher WD 4S vaccum cleaner. Has anybody used it or have reviews of it?
https://www.amazon.in/KARCHER-Stainl...dp/B09MD6K541/
Old 21st June 2023, 17:52   #10056
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, we have been using it with for few years - no issue. But just replaced with a hoover, same type model as suction is better
Quote:
Originally Posted by vijai View Post
Considering to buy karcher WD 4S vaccum cleaner. Has anybody used it or have reviews of it?
https://www.amazon.in/KARCHER-Stainl...dp/B09MD6K541/
Old 22nd June 2023, 10:15   #10057
BHPian

In the market for a Table top Wet Grinder.
We never owned one before, so anything specific that we need to look for in the models and any recommendations?
For a 2L one, what will be the normal grinding time for the Idly/Dosa batter?
Old 22nd June 2023, 10:24   #10058
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh1868 View Post
We never owned one before, so anything specific that we need to look for in the models and any recommendations?
In Mumbai, people buy these from the steel vessel, cutlery & small appliance shops. These shops have some kind of consortium. They get it manufactured in China & sell it in their individual shops under little known brand names. They are similar to the branded ones but much cheaper. They offer similar warranty also. You should first check if these steel vessels/small appliance shops in your city also do something similar.
carboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2023, 10:43   #10059
BHPian

Quote:
We have an ELGI Ultra 2.5L one for the last 5+ years. Except for the effort required for cleaning up after the grinding it is well worth it. That way I have been looking at shifting to the Panasonic 2.0L ones with a timer. Guess the grinding time might be around 20-30mts for these ones.
LobsterB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2023, 12:04   #10060
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We have this one.

The time depends on two factors

1. Soaking time
2. How fine you need

I normally soak dal and rice for two to four hours

The grindong time for getting ultra soft idly is

. Dal - 30 min
. Rice - 45 min or more

Tips on grinding
. Grind Methi for 1 min
The Home Appliance thread-ssc_9102.jpg
. Then grind Dal and take it out
. Last rice
. Start with 1/2 or less quantity with as little water as required.
The Home Appliance thread-ssc_9105.jpg
. After five minutes add the rest and a bit of water
. For dal add water after 20 min and check for consistency. It should be a thick and smooth paste.
. For rice star with 1/2 quantity and a bit of water.
The Home Appliance thread-ssc_9110.jpg
Then after 10 min add the rest of rice and a bit of water.
The Home Appliance thread-ssc_9114.jpg
As rice gets ground the paste will become thicker and you have to add water.
The Home Appliance thread-ssc_9117.jpg

After grinding the rice mix well in a big container and leave it over night to ferment
The Home Appliance thread-ssc_9120.jpg
Next morning
The Home Appliance thread-ssc_8075.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 23rd June 2023 at 19:45. Reason: Watermarks
Aroy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2023, 07:26   #10061
BANNED

Quote:
... what will be the normal grinding time for the Idly/Dosa batter?
20-30 minutes. Put the urad first. Allow it to grind for 10 minutes and then add rice. Total grinding time would be 30 minutes. May be, add salt and poha in last 5 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
In Mumbai, people buy these from the steel vessel, cutlery & small appliance shops. These shops have some kind of consortium. They get it manufactured in China & sell it in their ... .
Coimbatore, not China, AFAIK. This is a cottage industry in Coimbatore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobsterB View Post
We have an ELGI Ultra 2.5L one for the last 5+ years
The drive motor connects to load through a belt for every brand, and the belt wears out in 2-3 years. If you over load it, or if run for longer than 30 minutes at a stretch, the belt heats up, causing it to deteriorate.

We have been changing the machine every two three years since repair shops are hard to find. Now on this particular brand, for around 3 weeks, only because this is only model that has a capacity of more than 2 kg.

Bottom of the drum and stones are granite. And this is an Indian product, catering only to Indian market, so have serious doubts if the Chinese would bother with this. Believe this topic was discussed in this thread earlier.

Last edited by Aditya : 23rd June 2023 at 19:24. Reason: Spacing
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2023, 07:52   #10062
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Coimbatore, not China, AFAIK. This is a cottage industry in Coimbatore.
My friend's uncle was part of the steel shops consortium in Mumbai. He used to get it manufactured in China. They are probably also manufactured in Coimbatore.

Quote:
Bottom of the drum and stones are granite. And this thief is an Indian product, catering only to Indian market, so have serious doubts if the Chinese would bother with this. Believe this topic was discussed in this thread earlier.

He used to get it custom manufactured - he wasn't buying something already sold by the Chinese. He got it designed here & then manufactured in China in bulk & used to supply quite a few steel & appliance shops in Mumbai.

Last edited by carboy : 23rd June 2023 at 07:54.
carboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2023, 13:13   #10063
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
In Mumbai, people buy these from the steel vessel, cutlery & small appliance shops.
My town doesn't have many options and I will have to depend on online purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobsterB View Post
That way I have been looking at shifting to the Panasonic 2.0L ones with a timer. Guess the grinding time might be around 20-30mts for these ones.
Is it easy to clean the Panasonic one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
We have this one.
Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation. Will definitely revisit your post once I buy it to refer to the process. I see the brand as Ultra in the photo. Is it Elgi Ultra?

Quote:
This is a cottage industry in Coimbatore.
I had searched for online shops for the Coimbatore based ones. Didnt find much. Elgi seems to be from Coimbatore. They also have it on Amazon.

In all probability, I will get an Elgi.
Old 24th June 2023, 12:47   #10064
Senior - BHPian

After searching for a remote controlled ceiling fan for my kids room, recently purchased Orient Electric I-Tome 1200mm bldc fan (white) from Amazon. I was confused among the sea of fans from Atomberg, Orient, Crompton, Havells etc and finally decided to go for this one. I wanted a remote operated fan with wide air throw and I'm not disappointed. However, the fan design is very basic compared to the other models. Found it to be little noisy (air flow noise) vs induction fan but most of the reviews of bldc remote controlled fans have similar feedback. Overall satisfied with my purchase and fan does its job well.
Old 24th June 2023, 13:14   #10065
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Buy Coimbatore manufacture preferably. They are the pioneers of wet grinders. Buy only good and reputed brands. And buy one with more than just two stone rollers. We have been using Butterfly brand table top wet grinder for the past twenty years without even a single issue.

Table top wet grinders will be available in all consumer durable stores such as Croma.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks