Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2023, 13:21   #10066
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh1868 View Post
In the market for a Table top Wet Grinder.
We never owned one before, so anything specific that we need to look for in the models and any recommendations?
For a 2L one, what will be the normal grinding time for the Idly/Dosa batter?
Go ahead with Elgi ULTRA as someone suggested. Out of Nine wet grinders in the immediate family, 3 Elgi Ultras outperformed and outlasted all the 6 others( 3 prestiges, 2 preeti and 1 butterfly). It would easily work well for 5-6 years or more depending on the usage. My mother still using the Elgi Ultra purchased on the day of first T20 world cup final. And it is manufactured in Coimbatore.

Last edited by aadya : 24th June 2023 at 13:24. Reason: additional info
aadya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2023, 07:21   #10067
BANNED

Have a Samsung 23 L Microwave which is around 4 years old. Once a day before wiping it, the maid switches off the switch to which the plug is connected & then wipes the microwave. Since a few days back, when I switch it back on, the microwave takes around 10 seconds to turn on (i.e. the digital clock on the microwave turning on). Earlier it was instantaneous. I am wondering if this is a precursor to a future problem when it won't turn on at all. What could cause this - does anyone have any idea at all?
Old 2nd July 2023, 11:30   #10068
Senior - BHPian

Our Elgi was bought when they launched. Even after a decade it is performing
Quote:
Originally Posted by aadya View Post
Go ahead with Elgi ULTRA as someone suggested. Out of Nine wet grinders in the immediate family, 3 Elgi Ultras outperformed and outlasted all the 6 others( 3 prestiges, 2 preeti and 1 butterfly). It would easily work well for 5-6 years or more depending on the usage. My mother still using the Elgi Ultra purchased on the day of first T20 world cup final. And it is manufactured in Coimbatore.
Old 2nd July 2023, 14:55   #10069
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
... What could cause this - does anyone have any idea at all?
Well yes, and you have probably thought the same. If she used a wet cloth, water could have entered. If that is the case, then it's better it has time to dry out completely before use.

My hunch though, is that the wiping was coincidental, but that there is a problem.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2023, 16:06   #10070
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
My hunch though, is that the wiping was coincidental, but that there is a problem.
Yes, I don't think it's the wiping which caused it, I mentioned it just to indicate why the microwave gets switched off from the plug switch (instead of keeping it on standby all the time).

I was just wondering what kind of problem could cause a delay in the appliance taking time to switch on.
carboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2023, 18:53   #10071
BANNED

So, I called up Samsung - they said most likely it's a capacitor which has got messed up & they would need to replace the PCB. However, they said, I could continue using the Microwave by not switching it off ever & call them for changing the PCB only when it gives more problems.

So 2 questions

1) Is there any company remaining which makes stuff which lasts 5 years without issues? I know that LG used to. But they don't anymore. I also have have Godrej & IFB stuff which is rubbish. So is there any company which has standards?

2) Can't capacitors in PCB be replaced instead of putting a new PCB? If Samsung won't do it - will local mechanics do it?
Old 2nd July 2023, 20:52   #10072
BHPian

We have a Samsung 21L Convection Microwave Oven which is around 8 years old. Our usage is minimal. In these years, few buttons in the touch panel stopped working. The reason was due to humidity because we kept it in kitchen.
We shifted it to our dining room & again after few years, the same problem came up. Today, technician came up to see & informed that they will be replacing the entire touch panel. After replacement, if all buttons work, then problem solved. Else, they will be changing the PCB.
Home visit charges was around Rs. 500 & touch panel around Rs. 450 which is not in stock but will be available in 1-2 days.
Old 2nd July 2023, 21:02   #10073
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So, I called up Samsung - they said most likely it's a capacitor which has got messed up & they would need to replace the PCB. However, they said, I could continue using the Microwave by not switching it off ever & call them for changing the PCB only when it gives more problems.

So 2 questions

1) Is there any company remaining which makes stuff which lasts 5 years without issues? I know that LG used to. But they don't anymore. I also have have Godrej & IFB stuff which is rubbish. So is there any company which has standards?

2) Can't capacitors in PCB be replaced instead of putting a new PCB? If Samsung won't do it - will local mechanics do it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhupesh_2628 View Post
We have a Samsung 21L Convection Microwave Oven which is around 8 years old. Our usage is minimal. In these years, few buttons in the touch panel stopped working. The reason was due to humidity because we kept it in kitchen.
We shifted it to our dining room & again after few years, the same problem came up. Today, technician came up to see & informed that they will be replacing the entire touch panel. After replacement, if all buttons work, then problem solved. Else, they will be changing the PCB.
Home visit charges was around Rs. 500 & touch panel around Rs. 450 which is not in stock but will be available in 1-2 days.
Samsung appliances quality has degraded in recent times.
Case in point

1. Samsung Microwave gave up within 2 months. Convection feature did not work and it was repaired under warranty.
2. My friend's Samsung refrigerator (500+ L) gave up within one year and again repaired under warranty
3. My Samsung LED TV panel gave up within first year.. Panel replaced under warranty.. Finally TV gave up after 6 years (no warranty). Even after using UPS and voltage stabilizer.

3. My 14 years old 500+ L LG refrigerator still going strong. Never gave any trouble.

4. My 5 years old LG washing machine still serving without issues even in hard water conditions.

6. My parent's Sony LED TV still going strong (no stabilizer, no UPS) after 7 years.

In general, it is hard to find long lasting consumer durable goods now a days. May be cost cutting or bane of new technology.
Also, now I think twice before buying Samsung.

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 2nd July 2023 at 21:07.
Aviator_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2023, 23:52   #10074
BHPian

Quote:

I don't think there is any problem in keeping microwave plugged in and using only it's buttons to turn it on/off. I think in US most appliances are always kept plugged in. It would be the simpler and more practical option for you.

I think local mechanics can easily repair the PCB but it should only be your second option.
neeraj0272 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2023, 15:27   #10075
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Have a Samsung 23 L Microwave which is around 4 years old. Once a day before wiping it, the maid switches off the switch to which the plug is connected & then wipes the microwave. Since a few days back, when I switch it back on, the microwave takes around 10 seconds to turn on (i.e. the digital clock on the microwave turning on). Earlier it was instantaneous. I am wondering if this is a precursor to a future problem when it won't turn on at all. What could cause this - does anyone have any idea at all?
Well, exactly the problem I faced- Ours was an Electrolux. Slowly some touch buttons started having issues needing harder presses. One fine day, the microwave emitted some smoke and foul odor of burning. I switched it off. Turned on later and it emitted more smoke. I switched it off again. Didn't bother to get it repaired or get a replacement as we used the microwave either only to reheat food or to make Pizza which by the way, tasted way better than any of the market delivered ones. Later I stripped it off completely- using components for hobby projects etc. I still have the magnetron lying around somewhere with me. Also, though I am not sure, but I will avoid Microwave purchase due to health scares associated with it- my fear may be unfounded for now, but I don't see this appliance as a must have in my home.

Regards,
Saket
Old 3rd July 2023, 17:10   #10076
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeraj0272 View Post
I don't think there is any problem in keeping microwave plugged in and using only it's buttons to turn it on/off.
I know there is no problem. I mentioned in the first comment that maid switches it off not me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
we used the microwave either only to reheat food
I use it only for reheating & absolutely nothing else, but it really is indispensable for reheating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
Also, now I think twice before buying Samsung.
My parent's LG CRT TV & LG washing machine both lasted 10 years with very little issues & I finally made them replace it with newer ones both of which were worse. My LG LED TV has given a lot of issues. My Godrej Fridge is far worse than my parent's older Haeir Fridge (also Godrej customer service is a nightmare). My IFB washing machine is just not durable. Really want to go back in time & buy older stuff - don't care if there is no warranty - they never got problems in the warranty period anyway.

Last edited by carboy : 3rd July 2023 at 17:15.
Old 3rd July 2023, 17:31   #10077
BHPian

Our Ultra grinder has been working without any issues for almost 20 years now.

Pradeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadya View Post
pradkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2023, 12:40   #10078
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh1868 View Post
In the market for a Table top Wet Grinder.
I purchased the Elgi Ultra Bigg+ Wet Grinder. This has 2.5L capacity. Thanks to all for helping me out here not only with the purchase but also for the guidance in preparing the batter
rajesh1868 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2023, 10:52   #10079
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Yeah, we have been using it with for few years - no issue. But just replaced with a hoover, same type model as suction is better
Thank you. I bought a WD5 since ours is a relatively large area house and wanted one that can run long enough. Initial impression, I'm satisfied with the performance
Old 6th July 2023, 10:25   #10080
Senior - BHPian

Our 2018 Samsung MW went dead one morning. So we called Samsung.

The mechanic came and changed the mother board, and every thing was fine. The cost is really low - around 1,600 including service cost of 500.

So I suggest that if the MW goes bad, call the authorised samsung service.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks