Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2022, 13:51   #9331
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Any recommendations for appliance rental? We may need a washing machine for a month or so in Gurgaon. They're sold out on RentoMojo and Furlenco.)
You can check with Cityfurnish https://cityfurnish.com/
Old 7th March 2022, 14:01   #9332
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
All that is needed is chemicals that can dissolve the oils. Detergents of various strength are ideal. We wash the chimney filter in hot water + detergent bar and that is enough.
Also, soaking the filter mesh in mixture of laundry soap bar and dish wash liquid over night will ease the effort of removing oils and fat from the mesh.
Old 7th March 2022, 15:00   #9333
Distinguished - BHPian

Caustic soda is a fantastic digester of fat: the trouble is that it works well on human tissue too. I prefer not to use it unless really necessary.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2022, 15:07   #9334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Caustic soda is a fantastic digester of fat: the trouble is that it works well on human tissue too. I prefer not to use it unless really necessary.
Interesting. I have seen people use the same to remove old paint from their vehicle.
Old 7th March 2022, 17:56   #9335
Distinguished - BHPian

Caustic soda (Sodium Hydroxide) is a great drain cleaner! it gets rid of the fat blockages probably better than anything else can. No doubt it it can remove grease, but it is as dangerous to handle as many acids. Why work with a dangerous substance, when safer ones can get the job done?

(I don't know about paint)
Old 7th March 2022, 18:36   #9336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Over time, the dishwasher will have a lot of oil and smell residue, that'll affect when you wash regular utensils?
But the dish-washer is designed to remove precisely these type of hard-oil. I do a separate wash of these filters in my Bosch dish-washer "Intensive-Kadhai' program which washes at a hot 72 degrees. It comes out sparkling clean! And I have been doing this for the past five years without any problems.

Quote:
Caustic soda (Sodium Hydroxide)...it is as dangerous to handle as many acids. Why work with a dangerous substance...
The caustic-soda job is done by a professional(wearing gloves) every two years. The whole chimney including the motor is dismantled and cleaned thoroughly and refitted. I was recently quoted about Rs.1,500 for this job which takes a few hours.

And there is no replaceable filter in my setup. It is by Glen and is seven years old. It is of the "Baffle filter" type made of stainless steel. Curves in stainless steel panel catches oil, grease particles.

(I have attached photos)
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Appliance thread-1.jpg  

The Home Appliance thread-2.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by manim : 7th March 2022 at 18:38.
manim is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th March 2022, 19:36   #9337
BHPian

Quote:
Caustic soda (Sodium Hydroxide) is a great drain cleaner! it gets rid of the fat blockages probably better than anything else can. No doubt it it can remove grease, but it is as dangerous to handle as many acids. Why work with a dangerous substance, when safer ones can get the job done?

(I don't know about paint)
They claim d-limonene is environmentally friendly and safe, but I don't know how far it's true.
Ingredients list for Citrasolv (and other "orange" cleaners):

CitraSolv Concentrate: Limonene (the clear liquid from the peel of the orange, food grade), Laureth-3 (a surfactant), Laureth-4 (a thickener/emulsifier) PEG-10 Dioleate (an emulsifying agent), Citrus aurantium dulcis (Orange) Peel Oil (plant-based fragrance), Potassium Acetate (the potassium salt of acetic acid, which can function as a preservative).
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2022, 12:48   #9338
BHPian

Probably repeating the question which plays around on many people's mind - whether buying a handheld vacuum is a worthy expense?

Background - we have a full time house help who does the brooming and mopping the 1100sq ft 3 bhk home, entirely vitrified tiles. When she does Tantrums and Escapades, its done be me or my better half. Both of us are used to this job and do it reasonably efficiently.

We live on 12th floor but somehow fine dust keep getting inside and brooming pushes it up and the floating dust causes allergic issues to Mrs and sometimes to children. Budget is not an issue but spending Half a lac(Dyson V12) for a motorised broom seems to be a hitch.

V8 is retailing at 35k with all attachments. We are open to any brand,if at all it would make a difference. Even the V12 if it would work for 5 years without glitches and couple of thousands for battery etc should be okay. Kindly guide.

Last edited by aadya : 10th March 2022 at 12:49. Reason: additional info
Old 11th March 2022, 16:10   #9339
Senior - BHPian

Folks my relative is in the market for a 28L Microwave Oven.

I have an LG Microwave since 2016 and happy with it so wanted to suggest that. But then I thought I will ask here and take some recommendations from the wise ones on this Forum.

The Latest one from LG appears to be this here: Link

Should we consider Samsung, Panasonic etc.? Please suggest/make your recommendations.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2022, 16:19   #9340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
They claim d-limonene is environmentally friendly and safe, but I don't know how far it's true.
Ingredients list for Citrasolv (and other "orange" cleaners):

CitraSolv Concentrate: Limonene (the clear liquid from the peel of the orange, food grade), Laureth-3 (a surfactant), Laureth-4 (a thickener/emulsifier) PEG-10 Dioleate (an emulsifying agent), Citrus aurantium dulcis (Orange) Peel Oil (plant-based fragrance), Potassium Acetate (the potassium salt of acetic acid, which can function as a preservative).
Drain cleaner available in market is also a great way of cleaning filters.
Fill the tub with water and put a pack of drain cleaner. Place the filters overnight and see the difference.
Note : please keep the tub in open area to avoid fumes. If the filters are too dirty use hot water.
Also use rubber gloves for Safety.
Old 11th March 2022, 16:29   #9341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pram_ind View Post
Drain cleaner available in market is also a great way of cleaning filters.
Fill the tub with water and put a pack of drain cleaner. Place the filters overnight and see the difference.
Note : please keep the tub in open area to avoid fumes. If the filters are too dirty use hot water.
Also use rubber gloves for Safety.
Extensively discussed above - drain cleaner is caustic soda, extremely corrosive to certain metals like aluminum, definitely harmful to humans (will burn your flesh like acid). Hence a safer "environmentally friendly", safe d-limonene based solvent was suggested.
mvadg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2022, 16:57   #9342
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pram_ind View Post
Drain cleaner ... ... ... Also use rubber gloves for Safety.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Extensively discussed above ... will burn your flesh like acid
Indeed. And while gloves are a good idea, eyes are even more important.

If people must use the caustic-soda stuff, then treat it like acid: It is as dangerous. Otherwise take the suggestions for safer solutions.
Old 11th March 2022, 23:34   #9343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadya View Post
Probably repeating the question which plays around on many people's mind - whether buying a handheld vacuum is a worthy expense?
Handheld Vacuum Cleaner is good enough for picking dust off a small place or difficult to reach location. But for house - No.
You cannot stoop and bend for cleaning the entire floor or Carpet with a small gadget. You definitely need Corded Vacuum cleaner with wheels to move around and long Hose for working in normal erect position.
Old 12th March 2022, 14:35   #9344
BHPian

We have this LG fridge and when the door is open it sounds a really loud alarm every 30s until we close it, and it's driving me crazy.

Anyone know how to silence it or reduce the volume? It has no smarts and the control panel it has only controls the cooling of the fridge and freezer. Wondering if there are any secret button combinations or such for the alarm.
Old 12th March 2022, 15:51   #9345
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
It has no smarts and the control panel it has only controls the cooling of the fridge and freezer.
The fridge feature list says Auto Smart Connect is present. DId you check if LG has any app with which you can set this ?

https://www.google.com/search?q=lg+f...Sx4w_x-oGIAQ27

Did you check on another piece of this model ?
We have a 5xx litre unit, and alarm is not that loud. Btw, I have not checked the app myself. I am app averse

Last edited by condor : 12th March 2022 at 15:54.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks