Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2021, 11:32   #8461
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Hello and Happy Sunday!

Any suggestions on a good Candy thermometer?
Old 11th January 2021, 10:54   #8462
BHPian

We have a 60 L storage water heater which has been working flawlessly for 35 years or so. Some months back it failed - the heating element conked off. It is 13.5 inches long and about 4 cm diameter spherical element. I tried Amazon for a replacement to no avail.
Any pointers as to where to source such a rare item ?
I had ordered a small 15 L water heater for now. Sad to part with a such a piece of family 'heritage'.
Old 11th January 2021, 11:04   #8463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
We have a 60 L storage water heater which has been working flawlessly for 35 years or so. Some months back it failed -
What model and make?. Such vintages are rare and the only way to get spares is to junk another one.
srini1785 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 11:15   #8464
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
What model and make?. Such vintages are rare and the only way to get spares is to junk another one.
The name tag was painted over when they painted the house. My father bought that when they built the house. IRC it had some German name.
Actually if you look at the element it can be serviced easily by fitting a 1000W heater coil inside it. It has delicate ceramic rings on the outside. The central rod has a corroded nut.

Modern day water heaters have their elements inside the tank - within the water. These ancient heaters have a cavity where the elements live without touching the water. Thus no corrosion, no leakages and long lives.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 11:33   #8465
BHPian

Quote:
The name tag was painted over when they painted the house. My father bought that when they built the house. IRC it had some German name.
Actually if you look at the element it can be serviced easily by fitting a 1000W heater coil inside it. It has delicate ceramic rings on the outside. The central rod has a corroded nut.

Modern day water heaters have their elements inside the tank - within the water. These ancient heaters have a cavity where the elements live without touching the water. Thus no corrosion, no leakages and long lives.
In that case, the only way is DIY. Corroded nut can be replaced. Preserve any of the seals that you take out, replace the coils by matching the wattage and difference in length can be adjusted by machining parts to fit. I'm afraid it won't be like it was with the original part but can be used as a vintage unit.

All the best.

Last edited by srini1785 : 11th January 2021 at 12:01.
srini1785 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 14:16   #8466
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We have a 60 L storage water heater which has been working flawlessly for 35 years or so.
OT: Your location states Madras. Why do you even need a water heater, a big one at that?
Jaguar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 14:24   #8467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
In that case, the only way is DIY. Corroded nut can be replaced. Preserve any of the seals that you take out, replace the coils by matching the wattage and difference in length can be adjusted by machining parts to fit. I'm afraid it won't be like it was with the original part but can be used as a vintage unit.

All the best.
Thanks Srini. I will have to remove the offending nut very very carefully. The heater element is a standard 1000 W coil used in stoves, room heaters etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
OT: Your location states Madras. Why do you even need a water heater, a big one at that?
Once you are used to bathing in piping hot water no matter where you are, you can't get over that habit. A whole family can bath and still be left with plenty of water in the 60 L.
Prowler is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 14:19   #8468
Senior - BHPian

Any recommendations for a Mixer Grinder of 750 Watts with 3 Steel Jars?

Thinking of the Philips HL7756/00 (Link) - any feedback on this one would be helpful - and open to other recommendations as well.
Old 12th January 2021, 14:26   #8469
Team-BHP Support

Do check out Preethi’s mixer grinders too.

We’ve been using them for decades now and except for the jars’ top replacement and the gaskets (local replacements), the rest are untouched. The body’s white plastic has faded though.

Not that it matters but even the naval and coast guard crew who comes to take over the ships that we build, selects Preethi when we take them to the shop to select the mess traps (naval parlance for cutlery, crockery etc).

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 12th January 2021 at 14:28.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 14:28   #8470
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Philips HL7756/00 (Link) - any feedback on this one would be helpful - and open to other recommendations as well.
We bought this about 6 months back. So far so good.

We also considered a Bosch machine, considering it has jar clamps and you don't need to hold the lid down while operating it but for some reason, Mrs chose the Phillips.

Edit: We do not grind south Indian chutneys at home.

Last edited by Eddy : 12th January 2021 at 14:48.
Eddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 14:29   #8471
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post

We’ve been using them for decades now and except for the jars’ top replacement and the gaskets (local replacements), the rest are untouched. The body’s white plastic has faded though.
My family swears by Preethi. One of the most robust, reliable and abuse friend mixers around since a while now.

I believe when it comes to South Indian states and the need to grind coconut for their daily chutneys, brands like Preethi and few others command.

Last edited by paragsachania : 12th January 2021 at 14:30.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 14:36   #8472
KPR
BANNED

I had learnt the english word guarantee in my childhood from Preethi's advertisement only. The caption is Preethikku Naan Guarantee which means I stand guarantee for Preethi. Of course for the mixer product.
KPR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 15:04   #8473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
for some reason, Mrs chose the Phillips.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
My family swears by Preethi. One of the most robust, reliable and abuse friend mixers around since a while now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
I had learnt the english word guarantee in my childhood from Preethi's advertisement only.
Thanks everyone for the recommendations. Is it OK to buy Mixer Grinder on Amazon.in or should we pick it up from a nearby store?
Old 12th January 2021, 15:23   #8474
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Thinking of the Philips HL7756/00 (Link) - any feedback on this one would be helpful - and open to other recommendations as well.
Panasonic. Superbly built
Old 12th January 2021, 15:25   #8475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I have heard good reviews about Bosch and couple of my friends using it have good reviews about it. A bit noisy is all they say.

We use Kenstar at our home and happy about it. Does the job with ease.

I prefer to buy things at an appliance store than online for home appliances.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks