Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2020, 17:40   #8386
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Loaded question but I hope you'll will be able to help. This is for our maid's home.

What's the best (reliable brand, product and service) and lowest priced automatic washing machine one can buy now ? Something under 15K will be great.
Old 26th November 2020, 18:01   #8387
Senior - BHPian

Microwave market is de-growing at a fast pace.
Lot of brands who were importing are trying to pull out of the market.
LG and Samsung are the market leaders and it would be safe to stick with one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Loaded question but I hope you'll will be able to help. This is for our maid's home.

What's the best (reliable brand, product and service) and lowest priced automatic washing machine one can buy now ? Something under 15K will be great.
LG 6.0 ~ 6.5 kg model - Best price available online.

Last edited by kpzen : 26th November 2020 at 18:02.
kpzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 19:21   #8388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Today the water heater remained on for a long time and suddenly we noticed water pouring out from an opening in the bottom. I switched off immediately and closed the outlet valve, upon which the water stopped. But whenever I try to open it the water starts pouring again. I guess the thermostat failed and some kind of safety mechanism kicked in. What should be done now?

It is a Venus 20 litre storage type heater. Heating element was replaced about eight years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
There is usually a pressure release valve ( Safety valve ) at the outlet which acts to remove the excess steam in case of water blockage. There is also a overflow pipe which conducts excess water out of the heating chamber. It could be that the level float has failed and excess water is draining out.
Looks like you have to replace the thermostat and to stop the leak you just need to reseat the washer like thing as shown in this video :(though I always thought this was something like a pressure cooker safety valve - single use)
Old 26th November 2020, 20:16   #8389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post

I am looking for Semi Auto washing machine. My Videocon is working ok but it is old (how old I do not recollect) now. We keep on prolonging its use by small repairs every year. Now its timer spring of dryer is not working between 1 and 2 but we can manage it.
I am thiking of replacing with Semi Auto since we use loft tank water and we have hand washed clothes also for dryer. So no Automatic.
Which is good reliable brand currently with better robust internals like wash tub, dryer tub?
I am from town adjacent to Mumbai.
Can make do with current machine but also want to give boost to economy.
Old 26th November 2020, 20:22   #8390
BANNED

Quote:
LG models don't hold up well if you are planning to keep the washer in a place where water may fall on the machine - like in a bathroom - many people in Bombay keep the washer in the bathroom because of space crunch. The older LG models did very well in the bathroom. But the PCB in the newer models just housed in a waterproof way. I have written earlier in this thread where my older LG lasted well over a decade & I had to junk the newer LG in 2 years.
carboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 20:42   #8391
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Entry or +1 level Samsung top-loaders are pretty reliable. My first one lasted a decade+ with minimal upkeep, and the replacement is doing great 4 years on.

Service (the minimal times I've needed to call) has been prompt too.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 09:47   #8392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
Yes, you can sir. Lemons are called lemon, because with the best service centers and best mechanics, one can't turn them to apple. It all matters to owning up the issue and provide an alternate solution to customer.
A product that shown major critical issues on day 3 can be handled with "Let's replace the product or the problematic part for you" or whitewashing and hiding the real issue to customer every now and then when the problem arises and then after the warranty period is over presenting with a $$$ estimation.
I have seen both kind of Companies, unfortunately Samsung home appliance falling under the latter category. A company is judged on how they manages the failure rather how they celebrates success. In T-Bhp language, not every Skoda car out there has issues, but we know when problem arises, they are not the best one out there.
I knew, bashing Samsung akin to bashing Maruti, I'll get a lot of brickbats. My "politically correct" statement was posted there for the same reason. I am not forcing OP not to buy Samsung, I am just putting here my experience which I believe might help someone.
Well I have had both pleasant as well as unpleasant experiences with Samsung products. My Samsung AC was a lemon so I just threw it out after a couple of years. In contrast both my microwaves lasted 10 years each.

Where I admire LG is in their proactive service commitment. They are always there (warranty or out of warranty) to rectify your problems. That is what I expect. No device is perfect or will run for an eternity without a hitch. But when (not if) it acts up, I want the company to address it without any excuse.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 10:54   #8393
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Where I admire LG is in their proactive service commitment. They are always there (warranty or out of warranty) to rectify your problems. That is what I expect. No device is perfect or will run for an eternity without a hitch. But when (not if) it acts up, I want the company to address it without any excuse.
+1.

Exactly my point there. I have also seen similar service level with LG/Panasonic/Bosch and Sony is at different level.
But unfortunately, with Samsung both my previous products; a Refrigerator that went kaput on its 5th year and Microwave on its 3rd; approach to solve issue is nothing but abysmal. In both the product, original issue did crop up during warranty period, but was cleverly swept under the carpet.
As they say one bitten twice shy, I have been bitten twice in this case.
Old 27th November 2020, 11:28   #8394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroFuel View Post
I am looking for Semi Auto washing machine. My Videocon is working ok but it is old (how old I do not recollect) now. We keep on prolonging its use by small repairs every year. Now its timer spring of dryer is not working between 1 and 2 but we can manage it.
I am thiking of replacing with Semi Auto since we use loft tank water and we have hand washed clothes also for dryer. So no Automatic.
Which is good reliable brand currently with better robust internals like wash tub, dryer tub?
I am from town adjacent to Mumbai.
Can make do with current machine but also want to give boost to economy.
Almost all semi auto washing machines are now plastic body, making it fairly durable.
Its a mechanical machine with motor, impeller and timer doing the job. No electronics there.
For washing machine, suggest you to get the LG 6.2 or 6.5 kg machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
LG models don't hold up well if you are planning to keep the washer in a place where water may fall on the machine - like in a bathroom - many people in Bombay keep the washer in the bathroom because of space crunch. The older LG models did very well in the bathroom. But the PCB in the newer models just housed in a waterproof way. I have written earlier in this thread where my older LG lasted well over a decade & I had to junk the newer LG in 2 years.
Best to avoid comparison of any products from 2000s to now.
They (manufacturers) don't make it as they used to, same for cars.
If you compare old Zen and new Baleno for sheet metal quality and rust. The new Baleno would be more vulnerable.
The market and consumer needs have changed over the years, manufacturers have also adapted accordingly.

For placing it in washroom, its best to get a cover and also a stand to avoid water splashes as much as possible.
Old 27th November 2020, 11:42   #8395
BHPian

My LG microwave oven has been rusted from inside at many places. I called up LG service center and they asked me to get it repainted from any of the local vendor as they don’t do this task from the company.
Now, my question is, is this the case? If so, does anyone know any local vendor (Bangalore) who can do this?
The oven is just 4 years old, hence I don’t want to dispose it off.
Any help is appreciated in this regard.
kavensri is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 12:37   #8396
Senior - BHPian

I doubt if any regular paint can hold that heat. This is the first time I'm hearing of such poor quality
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
I called up LG service center and they asked me to get it repainted from any of the local vendor as they don’t do this task from the company.
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 12:55   #8397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
My LG microwave oven has been rusted from inside at many places. I called up LG service center and they asked me to get it repainted from any of the local vendor as they don’t do this task from the company.
Now, my question is, is this the case? If so, does anyone know any local vendor (Bangalore) who can do this?
The oven is just 4 years old, hence I don’t want to dispose it off.
Any help is appreciated in this regard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I doubt if any regular paint can hold that heat. This is the first time I'm hearing of such poor quality
I faced similar issue, the bezel of cavity which touches the door got rusted at top left corner within a couple of years of purchase. I disposed off the microwave after 7 years of usage since the rusted spot was causing sparking which in turn had lead to magnetron conking off thrice in the last 1 year of life. Was about to throw it off but my maid asked for it, so gave it to her.
roamer012 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 13:01   #8398
BANNED

Quote:
The market and consumer needs have changed over the years, manufacturers have also adapted accordingly.
What exactly changed in the market to no longer have PCBs enclosed in a waterproof way?

Quote:
For placing it in washroom, its best to get a cover and also a stand to avoid water splashes as much as possible.
I did have a cover and a stand. Didn't help.

And I checked with some people in the Industry. And IFB & Bosch still make Washing Machines which can withstand water.
Old 27th November 2020, 13:29   #8399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
You are correct, we need to get it repainted using food grade paint. This was told to me by the service person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer012 View Post
I faced similar issue, the bezel of cavity which touches the door got rusted at top left corner within a couple of years of purchase. I disposed off the microwave after 7 years of usage since the rusted spot was causing sparking which in turn had lead to magnetron conking off thrice in the last 1 year of life. Was about to throw it off but my maid asked for it, so gave it to her.
So, you used the oven for 5 years with the rust? Somehow I am not comfortable using it and hence stopped using it.
kavensri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 13:59   #8400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What exactly changed in the market to no longer have PCBs enclosed in a waterproof way?
My comment was more on the metal rust and not for PCB.
The PCBs usually are IPX4 and the machine overall go through the rain test.
Cannot comment more without knowing exact details on the PCB issue faced by you.

Quote:
I did have a cover and a stand. Didn't help.

And I checked with some people in the Industry. And IFB & Bosch still make Washing Machines which can withstand water.
Sorry to hear that. If the cover and stand didn't help then its most likely the overall moisture level is really high in washroom (Assuming due to limited ventilation) or you got a bad quality metal sheet.

The model you have is painted or pre-coated sheet ?
What was the feedback from LG service ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks