Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2020, 10:08   #8236
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Please suggest some reliable brands and popular models. Also, which features should I be looking for ? What plate material is the best ? I saw some models with a ceramic plate, is it any good ?

Rohan
I have a philips and this is my second one. Very satisfied till now. Great service in case it breaks down too. Worst case a friendly neighborhood electrician can also repair it - but I have never had a breakdown till now.
Old 29th September 2020, 10:10   #8237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Which brand would you guys recommend?
I would pick LG, as their service is reputed to be better, at least in Pune. Also, when we bought our LG fridge last year, the company showroom matched the best online price we could find.

Btw, Godrej also has quite a few models in the capacity you are looking for. Please check the Edge & Edge Pro/Rio/Neo models on this web page:

https://www.godrejappliances.com/God...ubsubcatid=803
Old 29th September 2020, 10:36   #8238
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
I would pick LG, as their service is reputed to be better, at least in Pune. Also, when we bought our LG fridge last year, the company showroom matched the best online price we could find.

Btw, Godrej also has quite a few models in the capacity you are looking for. Please check the Edge & Edge Pro/Rio/Neo models on this web page:

https://www.godrejappliances.com/God...ubsubcatid=803
Thanks for pointing out the Godrej.

We are looking at simple dull steel finish and an inverter based unit. From the looks of it, only one model from LG will meet all the requirements of space, color and technology
Old 29th September 2020, 11:40   #8239

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai aravindh View Post
The bullet has been bitten. Ordered the grey one in Girias for 41.5K (Chennai). Its lower than Croma (43K) and Reliance (44K). It looks like the supply of IQ500 came in only today to all delalers.

Thanks for the inputs Libran and Deathwalkr!
Bought the Siemens IQ500 (41.5K) last Friday and have used it 7-8 times so far and the results so far have been very disappointing. the cooking is basically SI vegetarian - and the DW does a pretty bad job of cleaning normal dishes which we use to cook vegetable dishes or rasam/sambhar or in cleaning the ladle spoons. There are some stains left in the dishes after the whole exercise. Quite surprising because my friend, who is also SI vegetarian, has been using this same model (IQ500) for a couple of years and is quite happy with it. Another friend of mine, who bought the equivalent Bosch product recently, is also extremely happy with the performance.

What could be going wrong?

A) We have a major low voltage issue in our locality - in fact, the machine had stopped midway a few times (Error 27) due to this issue
B) Defective product
C) Low quality detergent - we are using IFB which is what the friend who has Bosch had recommended
D) Some mistake in the way we are arranging the dishes
Old 29th September 2020, 11:51   #8240
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Another friend of mine, who bought the equivalent Bosch product recently, is also extremely happy with the performance.
Even our Bosch DW does an excellent job with South Indian veg cooking. However we do not leave any food remains on the utensils. We use Finish products, salt, detergent as well as rinse aid. Last time I changed detergent, it was to finish classic powder but parents reported that it was leaving whitish marks on the utensils. After and before that we were only using Fortune/Finish tablets which were working without hiccups. Only two things can be different in your case, one is the arrangement of the dishes, I hope it is not too crowded with no utensils hidden below another. Every part of every utensil should be exposed. Also try changing the detergent to see if it works. But I must admit that the only time I have personally used dishwashers was in Germany, while in India parents manage the show. So what i report is their feedback.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 14:58   #8241
BHPian

Quote:

C) Low quality detergent - we are using IFB which is what the friend who has Bosch had recommended
I have a LG and have used pretty much every tablet and powder.
I would rate the IFB powder and finish classic powder as one of the worst, they fail to remove stains. Worse still the Finish classic powder caused rust in stainless steel vessels.
I tried experimenting with different quantity of powder but they perform bad.

So its best to get tablets, which does a much better job.
Fortune tablets clean well but it causes the dishwasher stainless steel interior to rust or leave white spots. I guess they have put lot of bleach in them.

If yours cannot even clean a ladle spoon, then yes placement matters. If another vessel is blocking the water from hitting it in all sides, the sides which was blocked by another vessel would not be cleaned. To get the best results follow the manuals instructions on how to place the vessels.

People who use powder are mostly using ceramic/porcelain dishes which are white and even if the dishwasher leaves white spots they will not notice but it will be clearly visible on stainless steel.
DIY410 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 15:09   #8242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
How many attachments does your current vacuum have? How many of these do you use?
Amazon usually has a fairly detailed description of attachments, and all you need to check is whether the listed attachments include those you currently use.
Regarding service - does it make sense to pay ₹ 1.5 k for a ₹ 15k product once it goes out of warranty, or pay ₹ 2 I for a ₹ 8k product?
My current one has about 5 attachments, but I have been using only 1-2, and yes you are right, paying 6-7k extra just for attachments is too much. I'm mostly gonna go with either B&D or Karcher, but are they reliable is my question, because haven't had any experience, plus if you guys know of any other brands in the 6-7k range for wet/dry please do recommend.
Old 29th September 2020, 15:39   #8243
Senior - BHPian

7K is not just for cleaning, but also for extended warranty. But I know that the innards get clogged with rice particles etc and was sold when they said they will visit four times a year. He did come in this week, cleaned the machine, put in depleted salt
Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I am not sure I understand. You paid 7K for cleaning the dishwasher 4 times a year? But I agree, both LG service & product quality has deteriorated over the years.
Old 29th September 2020, 16:44   #8244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bought the Siemens IQ500 (41.5K) last Friday and have used it 7-8 times so far and the results so far have been very disappointing. the cooking is basically SI vegetarian - and the DW does a pretty bad job of cleaning normal dishes which we use to cook vegetable dishes or rasam/sambhar or in cleaning the ladle spoons. There are some stains left in the dishes after the whole exercise. Quite surprising because my friend, who is also SI vegetarian, has been using this same model (IQ500) for a couple of years and is quite happy with it. Another friend of mine, who bought the equivalent Bosch product recently, is also extremely happy with the performance.

A) We have a major low voltage issue in our locality - in fact, the machine had stopped midway a few times (Error 27) due to this issue
B) Defective product
Took me a while to understand what SI Veg was

Anyway, my wife prefers to do a quick rinse in the sink after clearing off solids and grease and then loads the dishwasher (Siemens). No issues thus far. All pots pans etc come out sparkling clean. We use the tablet. Less hassle.

Try a quick run with minimum dishes perhaps?
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2020, 23:02   #8245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
7K is not just for cleaning, but also for extended warranty. But I know that the innards get clogged with rice particles etc and was sold when they said they will visit four times a year. He did come in this week, cleaned the machine, put in depleted salt
If you don't mind me asking , can you explain what all he cleaned during the service.
Old 30th September 2020, 23:06   #8246
Senior - BHPian

The salt clogs the tubes. So he put some kind of a spatula in, (like a toilet plunger push). I was on call that time. Then he cleaned all the innards. Put vinegar in a bowl, switched it on and left
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
If you don't mind me asking , can you explain what all he cleaned during the service.
Old 1st October 2020, 10:58   #8247
BANNED

Friends,
I need to get a basic vacuum cleaner for dusting the hard to reach areas of my home. It should be light weight, handy (small) and powerful enough to suck out dust from slider door rail channel, sofa folds, back of wall mount TV etc.
What power range/size I should be looking at? Any suggestion on trusted brands that are durable and low on maintenance?
N.B.: Last vacuum cleaner that we ever had was 20 years back and that was half the size of my car and weighed a ton. So, please go easy on me while suggesting / explaining new ones.
Old 1st October 2020, 11:27   #8248
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
Friends,
I need to get a basic vacuum cleaner for dusting the hard to reach areas of my home. It should be light weight, handy (small) and powerful enough to suck out dust from slider door rail channel, sofa folds, back of wall mount TV etc.
What power range/size I should be looking at? Any suggestion on trusted brands that are durable and low on maintenance?
What you need to pay attention to is the attachments. You will need something with blower for cleaning back of wall mount TV. You usually pull out the tube from the suction side and put it into the blower side for this.

For your requirements a 500 - 800 watt cleaner costing around ₹ 2,000 will do. I wont use something with a higher power on electronic equipment like TV.

Otherwise, go for something around 1000 W with suction control - a slider which opens on the tube which lets in air, so that less air is sucked in at the nozzle.

Either way, you need a crevice. Cleaning g attachment.

Try to get a hand held if going in for small low powered one, or a bag less one with washable filters which look like a bucket / waste bin with a lid.

Ideally, if you have the budget, go for a very low powered like in 500W one with blower for the TV and a more powerful one for everything else.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2020, 15:15   #8249
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone have feedback on the Voltas Beko Dishwasher (Link)? I was looking for Bosch for my parents as I own a Bosch Dishwashwer.

A relative purchased this Voltas Model recently and they are happy. Wanted to check on any pros and cons here. My parents won't be having too much load of vessels and now I am thinking the Bosch one may in fact be an overkill.
Old 1st October 2020, 15:36   #8250
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Does anyone have feedback on the Voltas Beko Dishwasher (Link)? I was looking for Bosch for my parents as I own a Bosch Dishwashwer.

A relative purchased this Voltas Model recently and they are happy. Wanted to check on any pros and cons here. My parents won't be having too much load of vessels and now I am thinking the Bosch one may in fact be an overkill.
I had ordered a VB dishwasher with 14 or 15 something place settings capacity from Amazon some months ago. Eventually cancelled the order midway & didn't get it delivered. It was around 42K so for size, cheaper than the equivalent Bosch machine. The overall utility seemed limited and I have heart set on Bosch when it comes to washing/cleaning related appliances. Voltas I'd buy eyes closed for an AC and refrigeration. For clothing & dish washers, Bosch is simply unmatched in engineering quality & standards. And mind you, even a Bosch still needs pre-rinse by hand for Indian kitchens. I have 2 of them in immediate family so know for sure.

While doing the math - the time taken to pre-rinse, load, unload & store the utensils all adds up to hand-washing the utensils in small batches. Then add the daily detergent tablet recurring costs to the equation. The really good ones are mostly made of Gold I suspect.

Then of course, Voltas Beko is a partnership with Beko which is a Turkish brand. That demoralized me in the decision further. As far as I know - the current setup that Voltas Beko 50:50 partnership has established in India, makes refrigerators and clothing washing machines. Rest of the appliances including dish-washers I think are still imported from Turkey plant. So I'm not 100% confident about the spares availability in case of any immediate issues.

(Quite amusing that one of the bigger business houses from India - Tata - is integrated / trying to partner with companies from currently really hostile countries on world stage for India. Voltas with Turky & Tata Motors with China!)

Last edited by Reinhard : 1st October 2020 at 15:41.
Reinhard is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks