Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2020, 17:39   #8191
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
For those who have got this model, any reasons you chose LG over Samsung and vice versa?
In my case it was pretty simple - the existing samsung 500L turned out to be horrible. Even the cheapo Haier SBS I have which cost 70% of the samsung for similar size has been more reliable. I also had a 200L LG in my pantry which worked for ~15 years before being replaced with a panasonic.

The LG had a minor issue 2 months after I got it. The water dispenser stopped working. The technician came on same day of complaint, opened it up, tightened the wire on the motor and it started working.
akg7091 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 17:42   #8192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi3284 View Post
Sorry to interrupt the ongoing Washing Machine discussions, but i need some help in choosing a new Microwave Oven. Our current 30L LG Microwave conked off after serving us well for 12 Yrs. Am not up to date on the latest in Microwaves as in new technology and which brand is good, reliable and will serve us well long term like the LG one did. We have a Bajaj OTG for Baking purpose. Budget is around 10k. Will a Solo suffice or better to go for a Convection Model? We are a family of 2 + 1, but 20L looks a bit small for me. Somewhere around 20 - 25L Capacity would be Ok i think. Reading back few pages, just discovered that Panasonic is also good in Microwaves. Was not aware of it.

Came across the below 2 Models just browsing on Amazon that fits my Budget and has decent reviews.

https://www.amazon.in/Samsung-Convection-Microwave-MC28H5013AK-Black/dp/B00K63CGNU/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=samsung+microwave&qid =1599633030&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.in/Samsung-Convection-Microwave-CE73JD-B-XTL/dp/B00AFABKO0/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=samsung+microwave&qid =1599633030&sr=8-4

Would it be preferable to buy it Offline in a Store or Online should be Ok for Microwaves? I have purchased Laptops earlier from Amazon, but Microwave being a heavy appliance and reading few negative reviews of dents and cracks, am a bit skeptical about it.

Would appreciate some guidance on the above.
Thanks in advance...
Had a samsung which worked for > 10 years. Replaced with a whirlpool 4 years back which is doing ok ( door hinges started squeaking / creaking ) - these were used heavily multiple times a day in the main kitchen.
Bought a marq for the pantry and has been working perfectly for a year ( used less than 10 times total ). Never used the convection and grill modes in the samsung I had ( cost 20k+ ) so my suggestion is save money if you don't use these modes.
akg7091 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 18:44   #8193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I
Washing machine companies are running a big scam with their descale powder sales. They recommend one clean every thirty wash cycles. In a home like ours where the machine does one load daily and two loads every alternate day, this can cost as much as the detergent cost itself. A single use pack costs Rs 150 even if we buy from Amazon. Does anyone use any alternative, cheaper method for descaling?
Try sodium percarbonate - that's the key ingredient in descalers. I've not done it myself, but I've seen it listed on some commercial descalers. You could always try glacial acetic acid, but haven't seen on washing machine descalers, only on products for coffee machines.
Old 9th September 2020, 18:51   #8194
Distinguished - BHPian

A full cup of vinegar works well as well. Will work out cheaper too. I don’t descale the Washing machine often but I’ve tried this many times on my dishwasher; particularly when we ran out of the dishwasher salt during the lockdown.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 07:12   #8195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi3284 View Post
... i need some help in choosing a new Microwave Oven.

... 20L looks a bit small for me.

The second one you listed is a 21L model, it might still feel too small !

Since you already have an OTG, and you're not sure if you'd have good use of the convection feature, a solo model may suit you better. In that case I'd suggest a 23L Samsung model. Other makes limit their solo models to 18-20L ones for some reason!

However, please do keep in mind that solo models are bottom-of-the line products, and as such, corners are cut. The solo models available in the Indian market currently do not really look like they are well-made products (read "flimsy"), irrespective of the brand! I'd not expect 10+ years of good use out of them. But then, your budget of 10k might not fetch you a solidly made convection model either!

Quote:
Would it be preferable to buy it Offline in a Store or Online should be Ok for Microwaves? I have purchased Laptops earlier from Amazon, but Microwave being a heavy appliance and reading few negative reviews of dents and cracks, am a bit skeptical about it.

You may want to check out actual products in person in off-line stores, -- find out about the size that suits you, the build quality and so on. Just be careful about being duped by sales people into buying an inferior product ! You may not get the best price either.

There is nothing wrong buying MW ovens online (possibly at a better price too) if you're sure about the model you want. There is nothing much to choose between the supply chain and product delivery system either way!

You can actually have the best of both worlds if you select a Samsung model at least (speaking from recent personal experience). You're likely to find good deals (as good as Amazon etc.) for some models at the Samsung online store. Then go to a Samsung Plaza store nearby, and see if the model of your choice is available. If not, they may be able to order it for you at the online price. In any case, if you order from the Samsung online store, the product is likely to be routed through one of your local Samsung Plaza stores!

I'd purchased a Samsung model myself in January '20 from Amazon, -- only because Samsung online store was out of stock (they even booked one for me at the offer price), and I was in a hurry. It came nicely packed in an original Samsung box, with no damage, and is working well since.
meerkat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 12:11   #8196
BHPian

We have a 2+ year old Bosch dishwasher that is coating a white layer on the dishes for the past few days. We have a water softener at home and i thought it may be due to that and turned the softener off last night. The dishes still seem to get the coating. Our water is from a bore well and it is hard. The washer worked well so far. We have topped up the salt in the machine as well as the shine liquid. We use finish pods from the US as detergent. Any idea what needs to be cleaned? My wife did remove the rotating blades and clean. Not sure what the issue could be.
Old 11th September 2020, 13:04   #8197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
We have a 2+ year old Bosch dishwasher that is coating a white layer on the dishes for the past few days. We have a water softener at home and i thought it may be due to that and turned the softener off last night. The dishes still seem to get the coating. Our water is from a bore well and it is hard. The washer worked well so far. We have topped up the salt in the machine as well as the shine liquid. We use finish pods from the US as detergent. Any idea what needs to be cleaned? My wife did remove the rotating blades and clean. Not sure what the issue could be.
If your water is too hard (borewell) turning off the water softener will not help. I'd rather suggest to check whether it is working properly. White films mostly suggests very hard water. You can temporarily try turning up the hardness setting in the dishwasher to the highest and see if it improves anything. Some people suggest giving a wash with citric acid or vinegar after the wash cycle to remove the white film.
See this:
https://products.geappliances.com/ap...ontentId=16245
Old 12th September 2020, 21:26   #8198
Senior - BHPian

Can you use Bosch Descaler/Finish Descaler once and check if the problem persists
Quote:
coating a white layer on the dishes for the past few days
Old 12th September 2020, 21:43   #8199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Can you use Bosch Descaler/Finish Descaler once and check if the problem persists
I have just started a load with white vinegar now loaded in the soap compartment and also poured about 50 ml into a shallow plate. We should not have scaling as we have a full house 3M water softener, though it seems to have lost some efficacy recently. I will try the descalers and the cleaners too. I have used a cleaner as below in the past but not recent.
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B015WN7KSE
Old 12th September 2020, 21:51   #8200
Senior - BHPian

The white film is water hardness, (and the deposits), no doubt. Salt is put inside the machine to soften the water. In case the salt is not reaching the water (due to a clog), you'll have this problem. Our technician visits us 4 times a year, dismantles and cleans everything, including the salt compartment - uses a nice declogger liquid spray, (suspect it to be vinegar). So try to use the descaler, just in case. I have an LG, by the way
Quote:
I have just started a load with white vinegar now loaded in the soap compartment and also poured about 50 ml into a shallow plate. We should not have scaling as we have a full house 3M water softener, though it seems to have lost some efficacy recently. I will try the descalers and the cleaners too. I have used a cleaner as below in the past but not recent

Last edited by Sebring : 12th September 2020 at 22:06.
Old 12th September 2020, 22:04   #8201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Our technician visits us 4 times a year, dismantles and cleans everything, including the salt compartment - uses a nice declogger liquid spray, (suspect it to be vinegar).
Is he from LG? I should try and call a technician in that case from Bosch. Also for my whole house softener from 3M i use crystal salt that costs 6Rs per kg and load about 25kg every two weeks. I am now wondering why we pay 150Rs for this machine salt.
Old 13th September 2020, 09:15   #8202
BHPian

For the attention of Amazon Basics users (the article is for the USA, but I suppose the suppliers are the same across geographies).

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/09/10/b...e-safety-invs/
Quote:
consumers have raised serious safety concerns about AmazonBasics items in complaints to government regulators and in reviews posted on Amazon's own website. Since 2016, at least 1,500 reviews, covering more than 70 items, have described products exploding, catching on fire, smoking, melting, causing electrical malfunctions or otherwise posing risks, according to an analysis of AmazonBasics electronics and appliances listed on its website.
The reviews identified represent a small fraction of the overall purchases of the products, and fires caused by consumer electronics are not unique to Amazon branded items. User error can also be a factor, as can faulty or aging wiring within a home or a defective device being used in conjunction with the product.
But when well-made and used properly by consumers, electronics like those sold under the AmazonBasics name should rarely pose dangers, said electrical engineers interviewed by CNN.
whitewing is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2020, 11:04   #8203
BHPian

Dear Fellow BHPians -

Are there any good dryers (not washer - dryer combo) available in market which is not IFB and priced around 20k ?
Old 13th September 2020, 11:13   #8204
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
Dear Fellow BHPians -

Are there any good dryers (not washer - dryer combo) available in market which is not IFB and priced around 20k ?
Bosch for around 30K. Nothing lower.

https://www.croma.com/bosch-7-kg-fro...hite-/p/203991

I'm using this for last 2+ years. Got it for 29K from Bosch store.

This is a vented dryer which means it needs to be kept near a window and there is a duct that should let all the air out. You also get condenser dryers that collect the water from clothes and you need to empty the tray regularly.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 13th September 2020 at 11:15.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2020, 11:48   #8205
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
Not sure why you're explicitly not considering IFB but here's my experience anyway. I bought one (https://www.croma.com/ifb-5-5-kg-max...hite-/p/101053) a few months ago and have been using it extensively this monsoon. This model gobbles up about one and a half load of the washing machine and we end up running a 90min cycle everyday. Barring one or two clothes (a thick towel and layered pants), everything comes out dry and warm (not moist). Put in bedsheets and they came out dry even faster. So far, no color fade / shrinking.

When we bought this, this was the only model available: no Bosch/Siemens and we felt the condenser type weren't necessarily worth double the cost.
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks