Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2020, 18:16   #8056
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Hi All,

Need some advise on a refrigerator. My current one is a used unit that I had got three years back (more than enough for a bachelor). Now my dad and mom will be living with me and my refrigerator needs to be replaced (dad hates it since it's a used one and it does have a very loud compressor).

I am looking for a refrigerator for a 4 member family which is energy efficient. Since Amazon has a sale going on I was looking at the options available and can see two high rated ones:
  1. https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01DM8HR1Q/?coliid=I1MK0FNGN1U1ZV&colid=1LYQ5PZEVCSQ3&psc=0&r ef_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
  2. https://www.amazon.in/dp/B083461G9M/?coliid=I1L2UWLIKVJKI8&colid=1LYQ5PZEVCSQ3&psc=0&r ef_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Any advise on which one of these would be good for us (I am not sure if LG or Samsung provide better service in Bengaluru..if so then that would have to be taken into consideration).

Also, do these refrigerators work well without stabilizers and can they run off an invertor setup without issues.
Old 6th August 2020, 20:16   #8057
BHPian

Or is this one from LG a better option?

https://www.amazon.in/LG-Frost-Free-Double-Door-Refrigerator-GL-T292RASN/dp/B07GLNVPS9/ref=sr_1_58?dchild=1&keywords=LG+refrigerator&qid= 1596720897&sr=8-58

It has something called 'Dual Fridge' and 'Linear Inverter Compressor' which from a cursory online glance is somewhat better than the usual.
Old 7th August 2020, 17:31   #8058
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
Hi All,

I am looking for a refrigerator for a 4 member family which is energy efficient. Since Amazon has a sale going on I was looking at the options available and can see two high rated ones:
  1. https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01DM8HR1Q/?coliid=I1MK0FNGN1U1ZV&colid=1LYQ5PZEVCSQ3&psc=0&r ef_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
  2. https://www.amazon.in/dp/B083461G9M/?coliid=I1L2UWLIKVJKI8&colid=1LYQ5PZEVCSQ3&psc=0&r ef_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Any advise on which one of these would be good for us (I am not sure if LG or Samsung provide better service in Bengaluru..if so then that would have to be taken into consideration).
I was in the same boat last Diwali and after much deliberation picked this one at 31,500 from LG Unilet outlet and got a Sony Wired Headphone along with that for free. I'm using it without stabilizer, this one has a built in stabilizer.

link

In my research, I found that Samsung space management was not great and I was majorly focussing at that area. Another thing since Samsung and LG both are korean companies, there reliability will more or less be same. However, samsung charges a high (premium) amount on every appliance which you need not to pay in case of LG.
Highh5 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 20:46   #8059
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highh5 View Post
I was in the same boat last Diwali and after much deliberation picked this one at 31,500 from LG Unilet outlet and got a Sony Wired Headphone along with that for free.
Thank you sir for the recommendation. I think a few mins before you posted this I had got one of the unit's I linked in my OP.

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01DM8HR1Q/?coliid=I1MK0FNGN1U1ZV&colid=1LYQ5PZEVCSQ3&psc=0&r ef_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I got it on exchange (for our Single door fridge Rs.4,660 Off) and another Rs.650 Discount using an HDFC debit (for non EMI transaction...if it had been an EMI transaction then the discount was Rs.1,550).

All in, I got the unit for Rs.18,780. Hopefully it gets delivered without any major issues.

My impression from talking to a few friends was that LG was better than Samsung in Bengaluru so I went ahead with this option. Besides, in both Amazon and Flipkart this LG unit seems to have sold more (and has more positive reviews) than the equivalent Samsung unit.
JithinR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 20:47   #8060
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
Also, do these refrigerators work well without stabilizers and can they run off an invertor setup without issues.
1. Get a 4 star or better rating model. This indicates power consumption. Rating also varies with year of launch, so a 2019 3 star ranks BELOW a 2020 3 star model.

2. No need for stabiliser or stand. End of argument and sales pitch.

3. Look at your food habits. If you are vegetarian, you need models with larger storage for veggies. Else, the proportion of freezer in total storage capacity counts.

4. I'm feeling evil and want to confuse you. FYI, if you dont use the freezer much, bottom freezer and 3 door models are available in sub 300L capacity range.

5. We were a Samsung family till a close relative's fridge broke down in the middle east. A similar cooling issue was reported here a few months back. She spent almost 70% of new cost on repairs and ended up buying an LG. (HINT)

6. Do look at the size of containers you will put in it and ensure you get a model with sufficient vertical space between shelves.

An audible alarm is door does not close properly will be a good feature to have.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2020, 20:23   #8061
BHPian

Planning to buy a 4 star double door refrigerator in the 270-300L size and I really wanted to buy LG, but it seems the 2020 4 star models are not available in shops yet. I've been searching for it since June and was told that due to present situation, fresh stocks are yet to arrive and that it was expected by August for the Onam season in Kerala. But when I checked again recently, they don't seem to have got the new 2020 4 star models. Only 2019 4 star models are available now.

Shortlisted the below models from LG and Samsung based on my online research:

LG: https://www.lg.com/in/refrigerators/lg-gl-t302res4

Samsung:
2020 4 star:https://www.samsung.com/in/refrigera...RT30T3454S8HL/

2019 5 star: https://www.samsung.com/in/refrigera...RT30M3425S8HL/

Samsung appeals more to the head as it is/has:
-Priced about 6k less than similar capacity LG.
-Slightly more energy efficient.
-Cool pack for the freezer which can keep items stay cool for longer period during extended power outages.
-Door open alarm.
-Freezer conversion setting panel on the outside, whereas its inside the bottom compartment in LG. Also, there's a difference in the time taken for conversion.

I was keen on LG after hearing many good service experiences here on our forum and also in my friends circle. Hope both brands are equally reliable and supportive? Welcome all thoughts/suggestions.

TIA
Old 9th August 2020, 00:08   #8062
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrad View Post
Samsung appeals more to the head as it is/has
Been using Samsung for about 20 years. We gave away the first one to our maid in good working condition. We have two more (330L and 570L), one of which is 12+ years old. Their service has been good, ive needed them just twice so far. Once a sensor had died and was replaced free.
My friends needed gas filling recently and got done same day. I believe Samsung is good based on my ownership experiences.
diyguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 01:09   #8063
Senior - BHPian

My 2.5 year old Samsung Microwave + Convection oven developed a mysterious large crack recently on the inner glass pane during normal usage and without any impact.
I called the service center and they sent a technician over who had a look and said that the door would need replacement. Fair enough as I doubt they would just replace only the glass.

He then goes on to say that he doesn't know the exact price and it will cost between 4000-6000 maybe more and asked for an upfront cash deposit of 3000 bucks. I found that quite shady and steep for just a door so I refused and he left after taking the visit charges (Rs 300) which was the amount told to me by the helpline to which he says "Just this much ??" but he reluctantly accepted and left when I told him that the helpline guys had informed us to pay this amount. His attitude kind of reinforced my doubt that he was trying to make a quick buck.

Now I agree that for a product, the sum of the individual parts is often a fair amount more than buying a complete product, just like the cost of a new engine alone could be more than half the cost of the car itself but this isn't the magnetron or motherboard. It is a structural part equivalent say to a bonnet, so it's hard to believe that just the door can cost half of what a 11-12000 buck microwave can.

Anyways after that I called the Samsung helpline to explain my dissatisfaction and they promised to escalate to a senior engineer with a proper quote. Today I again got a call from the same chap who said that he is only the senior engineer and asking me if I was interested in ordering the part or not. I obviously declined and called up the helpline again. The person who answered this time was less helpful and said that she had no idea or ability to find out part costs and that the engineers quotation must be correct. I was unsatisfied and asked her to transfer the call to her senior. The senior listened to my story and promised to escalate and work something out so let's see if something fruitful comes out of this.

What do you guys think ? Is the technician trying to pull a fast one in these covid times where support and service is limited ? Or is it possible that Samsung spares are ridiculously overpriced ? Even if we take the lower end, 4000 bucks + GST and possibly a service charge, isn't that way too steep for a simple door replacement on a Rs 11500 microwave.

A new microwave only would cost less than this repair !!
I'm actually considering a separate microwave and a small oven (OTG ?) for baking. They seem to be quite reasonable. I would appreciate suggestions on some OTG models in the Rs5000 or lower category of a size that can accommodate maybe an 8inch pizza comfortably.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 28th August 2020 at 10:59. Reason: Spacing for readability
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 07:53   #8064
BHPian

Hey guys,

I have a query regarding microwave oven. Mine is a 15+ year model from Daewoo and was going strong.
It died from an electrical surge few days back. The local repair shops are saying that the main PCB has been damaged and all are asking for 1.5k to repair it (for replacing the board transformer and few other damaged chips).

So my question is, should I go with the repair or buy a new one?

Personally, I am not very confident in the quality of repairs by local shops and have a feeling that the repair won't last long.

I use microwave only for heating purpose and nothing else, so a new one will cost around 5 to 5.5k.

And if you recommend to buy a new one, then which brand should I prefer. I have searched though the previous posts and found that LG and Samsung have been the choice for almost all.
But I also felt from the previous posts that Samsung is now being advised against due to deteriorating product quality and service issues.
Is it still the case?

Thanks!

Last edited by swiftLife : 14th August 2020 at 07:57.
Old 14th August 2020, 08:08   #8065
Senior - BHPian

If it's microwave, then consider Panasonic (They are the pioneers). My mom has a 20+ year old model in perfect condition. Our Samsung lasted barely two years, had few issues, post which we gave it away
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftLife View Post
And if you recommend to buy a new one, then which brand should I prefer. I have searched though the previous posts and found that LG and Samsung have been the choice for almost all.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 09:48   #8066
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Or is it possible that Samsung spares are ridiculously overpriced ?
There are tonnes of local service centers of appliances such as microwaves, if you call one of them, they may source a door from an older or scrapped unit for under a 1000rs.
diyguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 09:53   #8067
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
If it's microwave, then consider Panasonic (They are the pioneers). My mom has a 20+ year old model in perfect condition. Our Samsung lasted barely two years, had few issues, post which we gave it away
Have 'heard' that Panasonic microwave are not user friendly to operate. Simple operations need a lot of button presses. Do not know how true this is!
Old 14th August 2020, 18:31   #8068
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftLife View Post
I use microwave only for heating purpose and nothing else, so a new one will cost around 5 to 5.5k.

But I also felt from the previous posts that Samsung is now being advised against due to deteriorating product quality and service issues.
Is it still the case?
If you are looking for a microwave only (solo) model, do keep in mind they are bottom-of-the-line models, and as such, at least in India, they are typically not very well-made (read "flimsy"), irrespective of the brand. Many are cheap Chinese imports (e.g. IFB, the "clone" brands like Bajaj, Morphy-Richards, Koryo, -- and many others) which, I don't think, is a good idea to go for currently, for likely spares and service issues (for obvious reasons).

Some other brands, like Samsung, Panasonic, LG, manufacture these cheap models in India. They are likely to be pretty much the same, quality wise (i.e. Samsungs are no worse). Don't expect such made-for-India (and similar markets) models to last for 20 (or even 10) years.

You are likely to find that the best functionality is available from some of the Samsung models, if only for the fact that they make 23L solo models, while others limit theirs to just 18 or 20 litre ones! I've recently found Samsung Customer Care to be quite responsive. I hear that the same can not be said about Panasonic. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 28th August 2020 at 10:59. Reason: Typo
meerkat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 20:37   #8069
Senior - BHPian

We had booked a Bosch dishwasher in the 2nd week July and were assured that delivery will happen by end of July. Now, 15 days in to August, there is just no sign of any thing happening even in this month! The dealer, who runs a Bosch brand showroom, claims that the shipments have been delayed across the country and he is unable to commit any specific date.

Just checking if anyone is facing a similar issue with Bosch. For reference, im based out of Bangalore, but booked the dishwasher thru a Bosch brand showroom from Hosur,TN.
Old 14th August 2020, 22:20   #8070
Senior - BHPian

If the new ones are like that, then its a shame. Because these things (Panasonic) really last. Simple operations have single press, but complicated cooking like grill/bake might require some more presses for pre-set, yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Have 'heard' that Panasonic microwave are not user friendly to operate. Simple operations need a lot of button presses. Do not know how true this is!
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks