Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2009, 13:31   #556
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a Samsung, have had it for about seven years with no problems.

Consider the features you want:

Mine has a grill: I have never used it. But I have always had a stove with oven and grill, and such things are not common here.

Mine is not a Combination, having convection oven as well as microwave: because I always had the full stove in UK, I didn't see the point, evne though my move to India was already on the cards. If I did have the full combination, I would not have needed to buy an expensive electric oven here.

There are newer features: I've heard of steam and microwaves, don't know anything about it.

Bottom line is, if all you want to do is heat stuff up, the simplest model will do the job!
Old 19th October 2009, 18:39   #557
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Bottom line is, if all you want to do is heat stuff up, the simplest model will do the job!
True - I have used 5 different microwaves in my 10 years moving around & I have never done anything other reheating stuff up. The cheapest out of all of them is a Rs 3000 Kenstar model. There was never anything I did with any of the others which the Kenstar couldn't do.

The only thing I would look for while buying a microwave to find the cheapest microwave which will be able to accomodate the biggest plate or bowl I will be using in it.
Old 19th October 2009, 21:44   #558
Distinguished - BHPian

Nearly all the odd buttons and presets on mine go unused. Defrost gets used every day --- fish for the cats is bought once a week, cooked and frozen in day-sized portions.

For microwave beginners: the higher the power the faster the heating.
Old 19th October 2009, 22:33   #559
BHPian

Mine is a LG bought 2 years back and is currently not working at times - issue with either the electronic control or circuit inside..
Old 19th October 2009, 23:07   #560
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No it isn't! It's a Panasonic!

Old 20th October 2009, 11:30   #561
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Folks,

I am planning for a microwave and would like to know your experiance of different brands. From few shops i have been to, know that LG and Samsung are the prominent brands. Please let me know about brand/model experiance. My budget would be around 10 - 12K.

Thanks.
I bought a Samsung as they are the world's largest producers of Magnetron (core of the microwave). It has been running for 7 yrs without any problems.
As for features - I would agree with others. It has been used predominantly for heating. So think hard before you spend money on features that you might not use.
Old 20th October 2009, 11:35   #562
BANNED

I have an LG microwave (about 10 years old) with grill. I chose LG since it was the only brand with an infrared (quartz) grill. All others had regular heaters. Infra-red is far faster than a heating element.
Old 20th October 2009, 19:45   #563
BHPian

LG v/s Samsung M/W ovens...

@alto99, carboy : Thanks guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I have an LG microwave (about 10 years old) with grill. I chose LG since it was the only brand with an infrared (quartz) grill. All others had regular heaters. Infra-red is far faster than a heating element.
This is some information. Hopefully, it should be there in all the current LG models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
I bought a Samsung as they are the world's largest producers of Magnetron (core of the microwave). It has been running for 7 yrs without any problems.
As for features - I would agree with others. It has been used predominantly for heating. So think hard before you spend money on features that you might not use.
Somehow when it comes 2 samsung v/s LG, am more comfortable with LG products. This might be coz i have television and washing machine from them, working tirelessly at home for almost approx. 8 years now. No issues.

Quote:

Consider the features you want:

Mine is not a Combination, having convection oven as well as microwaveThere are newer features: I've heard of steam and microwaves, don't know anything about it.

We might be using the same for something more than heating the stuff (hopefully, am not sure ), so this full combination should help.
Old 23rd October 2009, 12:01   #564
BHPian

Quote:
Should we call this the Housewives' Thread?
Politically incorrect Thad!
But actually, many of us males are pulling our weight in running the household, just like many of our wives have a fulltime outside job too.
High time more men took interest and contributed to house chores.

On the topic, IFB have a whole range of powders, like "Limo" and "Descal" and something else, that claim to clean , descale and act as detergent boosters.
I have seen my white shirts getting progressively yellow over a year of washing, until I tried using Vanish in the detergent, use 60 degree water, let the eater heat up and clothes turn for twenty minutes, then stop the machine and let it soak for at least two hours. Start the machine and complete the cycle. Whites are much better now.
Old 23rd October 2009, 15:05   #565
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
But actually, many of us males are pulling our weight in running the household, just like many of our wives have a fulltime outside job too.
High time more men took interest and contributed to house chores.
Might sound good to read that... but I for one have v poor inclination for doing so. The only reason I'd take interest is if I'm not getting the results I want and I like to know how things work and choose the best stuff for the job...

Seems your IFB detergent is not doing the job well. I'd be wary of soaking clothes for as long as 2 hrs in harsh detergents. Maybe you should try Surf Ultramatic. No significant yellowing with that. Amway's SA8 also seems to be good with whites... but I guess one can only make a firm comment after months of use.
Old 23rd October 2009, 16:12   #566
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
But not meant in any derogative manner at all, from one who looked after himself for 15 years.

I was never a great enthusiast at cleaning and tidying, but have always enjoyed myself in the kitchen, and still do. Whilst my wife's prawn and lamb curries are brilliant for a vegetarian (I couldn't cook without tasting!), I still look after my own UK-style roast chicken, chicken soup, and a few other things too. I'm also in charge of the washing machine --- because it is mine, from UK, and Mrs G finds it easier to put clothes in the maid's hands than the machine's.

Housewife... Househusband... Maybe I should have said housespouse to exclude the gender issue!
Old 23rd October 2009, 16:26   #567
BANNED

@Jmaruru: I think Panasonics also had it. They were not available in Kanpur at that time.
Old 25th October 2009, 22:24   #568
Senior - BHPian

I am in the market looking for a WET & DRY model vacuum cleaner. I have shortlisted the following 2 models:

Eureka Forbes Euroclean WD (Rs 9600):
Review & Buy Online eureka forbes Euroclean Wet and Dry Vaccum Cleaners at low price in India

Eureka Forbes Euroclean Ultima (Rs 23500 :-():
Review & Buy Online eureka forbes Euroclean Ultima Vaccum Cleaners at low price in India

and any one of the three models from an obscure company named Rodak:
Welcome to RODAK

I am not posting the EurForb site URL here as it contains a TROJAN. I would have gone for the Euroclean WD, but there are some negative reviews against EurForb in mouthshut.com etc.

Guys, please post your opinion and experience if any, about Eurforb W&D vacuums. Also could I expect any TBHPian be in a position to post some feedback on Rodak and other brands?

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 25th October 2009 at 22:28.
Old 27th October 2009, 12:55   #569
Senior - BHPian

Any views on the induction plates/ cooking. Any inhouse users feedback on the indian brands etc ??
Old 27th October 2009, 15:24   #570
BHPian

It is either LG or Samsung M/W oven..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@Jmaruru: I think Panasonics also had it. They were not available in Kanpur at that time.
Does panasonic market m/w ovens now ? Most of the shops, i am bombarded with sales pitch of either LG or Samsung.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks