Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2021, 16:08   #8746
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avinash_R View Post
Hey guys, the Samsung front loading washing machine in my house while spinning, suddenly stopped with a bang.

My question is now, what's the best way to dispose off the old one?
I'm not sure but you can try calling a scrap dealer and see if he can pick up the machine. Here's one link I found on Google maps: https://g.page/scrap-buyers-bangalore?share
CarNerd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 21:30   #8747
BHPian

Never sleep on floor when the robot vacuum cleaner is in action !!!

The Home Appliance thread-1000.jpg

Link
AltoLXI is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 10:07   #8748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by proton View Post

Or should I mount surge protection at the mains? Thanks in advance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post

MOV and GDT are two devices meant to do the same job so if you use one there no need to use the other. GDT is older tech which is now largely replaced by MOV based SPDs.
As usual Srini sir has hit the nail on the head. High Voltage spikes can enter your home through several paths - usually the first point of entry is the mains. Fit a heavy duty SPD at the mains. I have given some details here about the SPDs.
Buy a set of 275 V 6KVA Metal Oxide Varistors and fit them at every outlet feeding sensitive electronics equipment. But make sure that you have a MCB upstream.

A real life story: A neighbor who lost his fridge, 2-in-1 and a few lights in a thunder storm several years ago asked me for some advice and I told him about MOV. He got a few 175V/20A MOV thinking that lower voltage MOV would offer better protection and fitted them. On powering up, the MCBs continued to trip. His electrician couldn't find anything wrong and shorted out the MCBs. They had to rewire part of the house wiring.
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Appliance thread-mov.jpg  

Prowler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 23:57   #8749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Buy a set of 275 V 6KVA Metal Oxide Varistors and fit them at every outlet feeding sensitive electronics equipment. But make sure that you have a MCB upstream.

A real life story: A neighbor who lost his fridge, 2-in-1 and a few lights in a thunder storm several years ago asked me for some advice and I told him about MOV. He got a few 175V/20A MOV thinking that lower voltage MOV would offer better protection and fitted them. On powering up, the MCBs continued to trip. His electrician couldn't find anything wrong and shorted out the MCBs. They had to rewire part of the house wiring.
Very nice explanation. In mechanical engineering, we would view it as supply side failure, the analogy being governor being shorted leading to engine redlining, due to low value defect in hydraulic load circuit pressure relief valve!

Last edited by proton : 14th June 2021 at 00:00.
proton is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2021, 07:39   #8750
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
We have this elica four burner hob whose brass burners have gone out of shape over the past three + years of usage. One brass one is so bad it is way off its position as in the pics. It is not an alignment or fit mistake. I tried filing it thinking it might sit but to no avail. A local gas stove repair mechanic suggested i take it to a lathe. Anyone know what the right approach should be? I didnt try the company as last time i asked them to change the jets they said no stock, same for the burners too. Very disappointed with the quality as our previous Indian make stoves never had this kind of issue at 1/6 of the cost.
Hi diyguy, how did you finally resolve this problem? Did you manage to get new burners or get the old ones repaired? Someone I know has the same problem.

TIA.
Old 15th June 2021, 08:04   #8751
BHPian

In New Delhi, Sadar Bazar, there are number of Shops selling New and Spares of all type of Gas parts.
My quite old 'Hitachi' gas Knob had broken.
Anything too big ? No ! Not available with any spares / repair shop as it was for automatic firing one and hence larger diameter pin.
This requirement took me there and was surprised to see the wares they trade.

The Home Appliance thread-screenshot_20210615075707_maps.jpg

Last edited by Amrik Singh : 15th June 2021 at 08:06.
Amrik Singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2021, 08:11   #8752
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrik Singh View Post
In New Delhi, Sadar Bazar, there are number of Shops selling New and Spares of all type of Gas parts.
My quite old 'Hitachi' gas Knob had broken. Anything too big ?...
Unfortunately, Bangalore has a different "culture" (if you can call it that). Very difficult to find compatible spares for items that are not fast moving. Most of the shopkeepers are extremely savvy about ROI and will never stock any parts for the odd customer that might turn up.
Old 15th June 2021, 08:24   #8753
BHPian

The reason I have replied is that your gadget is not a scrap till you try till last. This place is sort of close to New Delhi Railway Station. The road shown is the one that passes in front of the Station.
You may send the worn out piece by hand through anyone visiting or passing through Delhi, maybe you can get spares.

Alternatively, try to contact any of the following and see if they can mail you what you are seeking.

The Home Appliance thread-screenshot_20210615082727_google.jpg

Last edited by Amrik Singh : 15th June 2021 at 08:31.
Amrik Singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2021, 09:38   #8754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Hi diyguy,Did you manage to get new burners or get the old ones repaired?
The replacement is not available with the company and I was suggested to take it to a lathe but couldn't find one in this lockdown on and off scenario. I relegated the hob to the loft and purchased a simple three burner Butterfly gas stove. Total waste of buying the Elica for almost 20k which lasts less than 6 years with expensive service and cleaning which has cost me about 4-5k additional over these past few years. I could have purchased a new gas stove every year and still had money left over.
diyguy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th June 2021, 17:24   #8755
BHPian

A question to the experts in our forum:

I have a single door refrigerator (150l Electrolux) which is five years old. The compressor is not working well, it switches off every minute and heats up a lot. Technician says compressor need to be replaced and it will cost around Rs 6000. I am usually a "fix and use" person, but with refrigerators I have had bad experiences in the past, where I spent cost for labour and parts almost equal to a new refrigerator. So I am considering a new one from Samsung. Electrolux is not there in India anymore.

Questions:
1) Does it make sense to get the compressor changed and gas refilled for the old one?
2) If I am going for a new one, do I need to look for star ratings? Should I go for the 5 star if this is really important?
3) 3 star model says it is digital inverter compressor, are those better than the conventional compressors? They come with 10yr part warranty as well.

AC Compressor - 60 months (only Part warranty)
Digital Inverter Compressor - 120 months (only Part warranty)
Old 19th June 2021, 17:59   #8756
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romins View Post
Questions:
1) Does it make sense to get the compressor changed and gas refilled for the old one?
2)...
Even though I too like to fix or get things fixed, I think a new refrigerator would be a better bet in this case. LG or Samsung are quite reliable. I don't think a refrigerator draws a lot of power and therefore you would not be saving a lot of money or energy in absolute terms, so my preference would be to go with a reasonable compromise. Go to the bijlibachao website and do your research.
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 02:14   #8757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romins View Post
I have a single door refrigerator (150l Electrolux) which is five years old. The compressor is not working well, it switches off every minute and heats up a lot.
I had a voltage surge recently that killed a compressor on a 14-15 year old Samsung 320 lit double door refrigerator. I called Samsung service and he changed a relay near the compressor and thought that fixed the issue but the compressor kept turning off. So he said replacing the compressor was the only option but that would cost me 12k or more. I found a refrigeration spares guy near my home and purchased a lg compressor, brand new for 4k, and paid a technician 2800 for replace and gas refill. It was sometime just after the lockdown last year and i wasnt ready to buy a new one then. Stores were shut and generally things were a mess. In hindsight i wouldn't have fixed it, but the fridge is working perfectly now. There are great deals on the Samsung shop app at the moment, for most items, and i was eyeing a 415L double door which is working out to 33k post discounts. They do have good discounts now if you wish to check for a new purchase including units under 200L in capacity. I think a replacement compressor for a smaller unit should not cost you as much if you source it yourself, it should be generally ok to repair too by the way considering your fridge is only 5 years old.
diyguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 09:56   #8758
BHPian

Quote:
Any idea which brand of power strips are properly manufactured? Belkin and Honeywell are beginning to get bad reviews. Croma is a trusted source (a car charger is still going strong, beating Anker units) but their best strip has no gas discharge tube (piccie attached, showing overload protection module and MOV blue disc). Or should I mount surge protection at the mains? Thanks in advance.
Belkin is the only manufacturer I have seen who provides a connected equipment cover. Though I haven't heard any one claiming it, but atleast the manufacturer trusts the protector to put their money behind it.This is cover is valid for 5years.

Alternately, may I suggest you look at APC stabilizers, they come with built in surge suppressors as well (the 1200VA one rated 150 joules viz lower than the standalone suppressors). The added advantage is that brownouts gets covered as well. https://shop.schneider-electric.co.in/lsw1200-in.html
Old 20th June 2021, 11:52   #8759
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
Belkin is the only manufacturer I have seen who provides a connected equipment cover. Though I haven't heard any one claiming it, but atleast the manufacturer trusts the protector to put their money behind it.This is cover is valid for 5years.

Look at the one star reviews, many of which state the same:

UPDATE 09th Jul, 2020--
This fried my Sony Playstation 4 Pro and Belkin now claims that they can only replace the surge protector and will not be able to honor their "Connected Equipment Warranty".

https://www.amazon.in/gp/aw/reviews/...r&pageNumber=1

I expect the same with other MNC's in India, who take advantage of weak consumer laws. Volkswagen recalled their DSG transmissions worldwide, here my friend paid 1.2 lacs for a manufacturing defect replacement.

Last edited by proton : 20th June 2021 at 12:00.
proton is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 19:15   #8760
BHPian

Quote:
Look at the one star reviews, many of which state the same:

UPDATE 09th Jul, 2020--
This fried my Sony Playstation 4 Pro and Belkin now claims that they can only replace the surge protector and will not be able to honor their "Connected Equipment Warranty".

https://www.amazon.in/gp/aw/reviews/...r&pageNumber=1

I expect the same with other MNC's in India, who take advantage of weak consumer laws. Volkswagen recalled their DSG transmissions worldwide, here my friend paid 1.2 lacs for a manufacturing defect replacement.
Good that amazon is not filtering out -ve reviews.

So, how does one go about buying a surge suppressor in India? In the absence of proper qualified test results I suppose the only way is to find out when the lighting strikes!

In my case I made my peace by going for a well known brand (APC) stabilizer cum suppressor to sensitive equipment.

Did you then finalize on one?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks