Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2021, 21:12   #8731
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
We are looking to buy a home convection microwave. It should be 28 liters or around at the minimum,
I am looking at something around the 10-12 k range with a budget extendable by max Rs.2000
We got Samsung 28 L Convection Microwave Oven (CE1041DSB2/TL, Black, SlimFry) very recently. It is used heavily and it is working great and would be within your budget. We used to have its earlier model which died after 11 years of service (the cavity got damaged near the magnetron). But never a niggle or a repair during a lifetime. This new model have 1 year on product warranty & 5 years on Magnetron & 10 years on Ceramic Cavity. BTW the slimfry option didn't live upto the expectation/photo
Old 8th June 2021, 10:08   #8732
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdrive View Post
Purpose would be having backup for home, I have company provided UPS which does the work for laptop.

The wiring is all there since previous owner had an inverter, when I purchased this house we did not find it useful as we both are working couple and the power cuts usually last from 30 mins to 1 hours that too not very frequent.

The reason for it now is that we are WFH completely and would like to avoid the break in regular work.

Like you said will try to connect with local electrician as well.
As such Laptops should work for a few hours without power. In fact if the expected power outage is less than 2 hours, it is better not to use UPS to power the laptop.

That leaves fans, refrigerator and AC's. Moderate power UPS (say 800VA with 150AH battery) will be useful for only fans and lights. for appliances drawing heavy load you need at least 4KVA or more.

Before getting a UPS please get the wiring for UPS checked and identify all the switches/sockets that run on UPS. This is necessary as you may inadvertently have a refrigerator or other appliances drawing moderate to high current on that line.
Old 10th June 2021, 20:36   #8733
BHPian

Our LG microwave stopped heating in microwave mode - the tray moves, the timer down-counts down, but no heating. Based on some rudimentary troubleshooting, it looks like the magnetron is the culprit. I would like to know if there is a reliable online store to buy spares for home appliances like microwave?

Any suggestions from bhpians on what to look out for, what to avoid when attempting this DIY repair?
Old 10th June 2021, 21:40   #8734
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
Our LG microwave stopped heating in microwave mode - the tray moves, the timer down-counts down, but no heating. Based on some rudimentary troubleshooting, it looks like the magnetron is the culprit. I would like to know if there is a reliable online store to buy spares for home appliances like microwave?

Any suggestions from bhpians on what to look out for, what to avoid when attempting this DIY repair?
Others have been through this earlier:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...ml#post4854370 (The Home Appliance thread)
Old 11th June 2021, 00:12   #8735
BHPian

Quote:

Amazon sells magentrons
archat68 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 07:57   #8736
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
From what I know, some parts work on high current, and hold some static charge. May be better to get professional help.

I have opened the microwave we had, and had tried some troubleshooting.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 09:22   #8737
BHPian

Quote:

We have a similar LG and i have replaced the magnet twice. Simple exchange does the job but usually when the magnet goes bad the capacitor also follows. So better to replace both. I know of a shop near Commercial street which sells all kinds of spare parts but its highly unlikely to be open during lockdown. If you know any electronic repair shop near your location then you can ask them to procure for you. Supply chains are still open with down shutters .
srini1785 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 10:21   #8738
BHPian

Quote:
Based on some rudimentary troubleshooting, it looks like the magnetron is the culprit. I would like to know if there is a reliable online store to buy spares for home appliances like microwave?

Before you remove the magnetron, check the thermal fuse fitted to its body. Use a 1k resister to short the capacitor after disconnecting from the mains supply.

Microwave ovens work with high voltage (2200 V) and high current (0.20 A - 0.4 A) and unless you know what you are doing, call a professional for your own safety. Remember this adage: - "it is the Volts that jolts and mills that kills". High voltage with low current - like in your mosquito bat won't hurt. But the current measured in milli ampere or Ampere is what can kill you. Under the right circumstances, 8 mA is enough to cause cardiac arrest.

The drill to check various components in a microwave:
1. Check the microwave transformer with a Digital Multimeter set at its ohms range. The secondary should read around 70 - 90 ohms and the thick secondary which feeds the magetron filament should read 0 Ohm.
2. If the transformer is normal, restore the connections and power up.
And shut down immediately. Disconnect and short the capacitor with a 1k resister where you should see a spark - indicating that all circuits till the magetron is working.
3. Remove the magnetron, taking care that your steel screw driver doesn't come close to its body. It has a powerful magnet (hence the name magnetron). Observe the rating in its body and get an exact replacement.

If the abovementioned instructions appear too risky, get a professional service engineer. Don't ask an electrician to repair your microwave. In my days as a bench engineer, I have seen many microwave ovens with their protection switches shorted by unqualified people. The result would have been catastrophic for the end users - wives and you. The oven will put out microwave energy even when the door is open!
Prowler is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 11:03   #8739
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
We have a similar LG and i have replaced the magnet twice. Simple exchange does the job but usually when the magnet goes bad the capacitor also follows. So better to replace both. I know of a shop near Commercial street which sells all kinds of spare parts but its highly unlikely to be open during lockdown. If you know any electronic repair shop near your location then you can ask them to procure for you. Supply chains are still open with down shutters .
Yes, good point about the capacitor, and I hope the OP follows all safety precautions around the high voltage components, especially the capacitor that will have a lethal charge.

Twice? On the same microwave? Just curious, how often do you use it, and for what length of time? Mostly microwaves start failing at around the 10th year, why is your microwave failing so often?
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 11:51   #8740
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Twice? On the same microwave? Just curious, how often do you use it, and for what length of time? Mostly microwaves start failing at around the 10th year, why is your microwave failing so often?
Not sure on usage time since i have been banned from the kitchen for being a lousy cook. Probably max is around 45 mins cycle for boiling hard veggies.

Our LG is almost 10 years or even older so i don't worry how much it fails since any failure is a good opportunity to open things up during the weekends. Son likes it too. Last time he replaced it by himself.
Old 11th June 2021, 13:47   #8741
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Amazon sells magentrons
Thanks will check

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Microwave ovens work with high voltage (2200 V) and high current (0.20 A - 0.4 A) and unless you know what you are doing, call a professional for your own safety.
Superb step by step instruction Prowler, this is why I asked the question here! You mentioned secondary twice in context of transformer windings - I take it is a typo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
From what I know, some parts work on high current, and hold some static charge. ..
Quote:
Simple exchange does the job but usually when the magnet goes bad the capacitor also follows. So better to replace both. ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Yes, good point about the capacitor, and I hope the OP follows all safety precautions around the high voltage components, especially the capacitor that will have a lethal charge.
Thanks for all the advice and concerns about safety. I happen to have a degree in electrical engineering, so I get it. Understanding the design, asking others for their experience (and gotchas) is all part of scoping process before I open it up (or decide to chicken out and give it for service)

Quote:
since any failure is a good opportunity to open things up during the weekends. Son likes it too. Last time he replaced it by himself.
Exactly the reason because of which I was considering this - better than binge watching

Cheers,
Su-47

Last edited by Su-47 : 11th June 2021 at 13:58.
Su-47 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 19:06   #8742
BHPian

Quote:

Superb step by step instruction Prowler, this is why I asked the question here! You mentioned secondary twice in context of transformer windings - I take it is a typo.
Su-47
There are 2 secondaries and one primary winding in a microwave Oven. The primary winding rarely fails and hence I didn't give its resistance (0-2 Ohms).
The high voltage winding should show 70 to 90 Ohms while the thicker winding should show zero ohms. The thicker winding will go to the bottom of the Magnetron where the feed to the filament is.
Prowler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 12:30   #8743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I can't review it now as listening to a concert, but I think this guy covers the different types of surge protector and where they should be used in these videos:
To Thad and others. Home improvement in the times of corona means extra care required for our high value electronics like laptops and home theatre gear, since we can't even replace damaged stuff, in light of the uncertain stocks and delivery position. So extra priority has been given to protect my existing equipment. A YouTube home theatre vendor recommends replacing surge protector equipped power strips every three or four years. The MOV's degrade after some function in diverting surges to ground.

Another vendor opened a unit and found it lacking MOV as well as gas discharge tube. On pieces he found so equipped, he showed how to replace the MOV's, a not so profitable exercise, considering the time and labour involved.

Any idea which brand of power strips are properly manufactured? Belkin and Honeywell are beginning to get bad reviews. Croma is a trusted source (a car charger is still going strong, beating Anker units) but their best strip has no gas discharge tube (piccie attached, showing overload protection module and MOV blue disc). Or should I mount surge protection at the mains? Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Appliance thread-img20210612wa0010.jpg  

Last edited by proton : 12th June 2021 at 12:31. Reason: Added text
Old 12th June 2021, 14:01   #8744
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by proton View Post
.. A YouTube home theatre vendor recommends replacing surge protector equipped power strips every three or four years. The MOV's degrade after some function in diverting surges to ground.
True after some discharges, the resistance increases and its no longer a least path to ground and needs to be replaced.

Quote:
Another vendor opened a unit and found it lacking MOV as well as gas discharge tube. On pieces he found so equipped, he showed how to replace the MOV's, a not so profitable exercise, considering the time and labour involved.
MOV and GDT are two devices meant to do the same job so if you use one there no need to use the other. GDT is older tech which is now largely replaced by MOV based SPDs.

Quote:
.. Croma is a trusted source (a car charger is still going strong, beating Anker units) but their best strip has no gas discharge tube (piccie attached, showing overload protection module and MOV blue disc).
I am not able to make out clearly which one is the MOV.

Quote:
Or should I mount surge protection at the mains? Thanks in advance.
A better idea. SPD's are available at 5kA up to 50kA (i think) and offer LED indication of replacement. In most cases, the power strips only protect against Spikes and not Surges. These are two different things.
Old 12th June 2021, 15:56   #8745
BHPian

Hey guys, the Samsung front loading washing machine in my house while spinning, suddenly stopped with a bang.

It's 13 years old. The service representative said the drum has come off its attachment and he said getting a new one would cost Rs 4500 but he said it wasn't worth fixing because it would lead to more problems later.

My question is now, what's the best way to dispose off the old one?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks