Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2012, 22:32   #3271
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Thanks for the tip. I also like Front Loading from the looks perspective. However 6.5 Kg machines are damn expensive. Is yours a semi automatic?
I am not uptodate about the washing machine market - but I don't think you will get a 6.5 Front Loader in the 15K Range - at least from a decent brand.

May be top loaders are harsher on clothes but not significantly enough for me to notice.

My current washing machine is an LG 6.5 Fully Automatic Top Loader which is the only machine I am using in the last 7 years. I haven't noticed any problems with having to throw away clothes pre-maturely. My shirts last for years. My jeans last for a year or 2 - my use is rough & this is the same as they do for me with maids washing. Other than that, in 7 years only one washing machine part has failed - a sensor failed after 5 odd years & it cost 45 Rs + labour to replace. And LG's customer service is outstanding.
Old 23rd November 2012, 08:53   #3272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
+1 Im also keen to know how Panasonic WM's are & how do top loaders compare with Front loaders...
Even I was looking at the Panasonic WM's when I was researching for the replacement of my Whirlpool w/m. I found that Panny's have only top loading and dont have in built heater for warming up the water inside. Only Whirlpool had the in built heater feature in the top loading w/ms. rest of the top loaders had a seperate outlet for hot water inlet.

I zeroed in on LG front loading washing maching F8068LDP model and got it from Kohinoor for 21K (Diwali offer and lot of haggling). My old w/m was bought by my maid for 2K , so effectively the Front loader came for a price of 18K.
Old 23rd November 2012, 09:35   #3273
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I zeroed in on LG front loading washing maching F8068LDP model and got it from Kohinoor for 21K (Diwali offer and lot of haggling). My old w/m was bought by my maid for 2K , so effectively the Front loader came for a price of 18K.
There is still the matter of the missing 1K which you need to explain.
Old 23rd November 2012, 09:37   #3274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
There is still the matter of the missing 1K which you need to explain.
Sorry its a typo error, the effective price comes to 19K instead of 18K as posted earlier.
Old 23rd November 2012, 11:25   #3275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

--- we used to have "drying cabinets" with a low-power electrical element in the base, which were wonderful for drying clothes indoors in the wet weather.
That is exactly what I was referring to. I have used these 'cabinets' abroad though I am not sure about their power consumption.

Quote:
The amount of water removed from clothes during the spin cycle of a washing machine depends on its spin speed: higher speed removes more water.
Wouldn't higher spin cause more wear and tear of the cloth/ fabric?

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
....The whirlpool junk was their top of the line machine, ..
...Finally got fed up and bought the Samsung full automatic front load, 5kg - .
Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
My current washing machine is an LG 6.5 Fully Automatic Top Loader which is the only machine I am using in the last 7 years......
And LG's customer service is outstanding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I zeroed in on LG front loading washing maching F8068LDP model and got it from Kohinoor for 21K (Diwali offer and lot of haggling). ...
I always thought that Whirlpool is a premium brand like Skoda and LG is as common as Maruti (low cost, low quality). Maybe I am wrong.
Never considered Samsung for washing machines. Now I will have a look at Samsung and LG too.

What about the Indian brands - Videocon, Godrej and others?
Old 23rd November 2012, 11:33   #3276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I always thought that Whirlpool is a premium brand like Skoda and LG is as common as Maruti (low cost, low quality). Maybe I am wrong.
Never considered Samsung for washing machines. Now I will have a look at Samsung and LG too.

What about the Indian brands - Videocon, Godrej and others?
I dont think so Whirlpool is a premium brand, Siemens, Bosch are IMO premium brands. Much costlier in comparison to brands for the same weight categories. I dont think LG's quality is low, in fact I was recommended by 5-6 friends of mine who have LG washing machines and they are fully satisfied with the product and customer service based on which I bought one.

Indian brands do have takers but not the higher end variants. I was surprised to know (as told by SA) that Videocon semi automatics sell moe than the fully automatics ones but esp in Tier 3 cities.
Old 23rd November 2012, 11:44   #3277
BHPian

Quote:
Whirlpool was a total disappointment to me. I bought it because a friend of mine works in the dyeing industry and for high volume manufacturers in the clothing business, his company would import the industrial whirlpool washing machines for them. I got totally suckered! The service guy would visit my home every month - sensor issue was the biggest culprit - water would either keep filling or not flush out. Socks would get stuck somewhere inside, had a board problem once, soap powder never mixed with the water. It had some rubbish hand wash crap technology, which is a total eyewash. I told the service guy that I am talking to him and meeting him more than my girlfriend... however, I must admit, their service rocks. The technician would be home within 3 hours of raising a complaint. That was their only plus point.

The Samsung has been a peach of a machine. Never had to call service in 17 months with 2 wash cycles daily. I now believe it is best to buy entry level machines use them for 3-4 years and then get rid of them.
Old 23rd November 2012, 15:11   #3278
BHPian

Quote:
No. Why should it?
The clothes always remain stationary wrt the drum whether spinning at high speed or very high speed.
Old 23rd November 2012, 15:38   #3279
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That is exactly what I was referring to. I have used these 'cabinets' abroad though I am not sure about their power consumption.
It should be low. I don't know why these disappeared from the market, at least in my mother country (UK), although I suspect that it might be that they failed to meet ever-stricter safety norms. Sometimes I thought of building my own, and I think a couple of 100w bulbs would provide more than enough heat, but it is hard even for a pro to mix electricity and damp clothes safely, and I never risked it.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by anuragn
No. Why should it?
The clothes always remain stationary wrt the drum whether spinning at high speed or very high speed.
It depends. The faster the speed the more the cloth is pressed against the drum --- obviously, it is that centrifugal force that removes the water. The clothes are going to subject to crushing forces, maybe also to stretching forces. Creasing is worse at high speeds. None of this matters for "whites," ie sturdy cotton (whether it is white or not) such as towels or sheets, but it does matter for more fragile stuff --- which is why the machines offer a variety of spin speeds.

When you select the wash program, the spin speed will be set. It may be possible to adjust it down, but may not be possible to adjust it up. This, a "Delicates" or "Silk" wash may suggest or even enforce a slower spin speed.

Our LG goes to 1200. I would only ever use that during monsoon. For the rest of the year, even 800 is high enough that the climate finishes the drying process in a few hours.
Old 26th November 2012, 16:40   #3280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It should be low. I don't know why these disappeared from the market, at least in my mother country (UK), although I suspect that it might be that they failed to meet ever-stricter safety norms. Sometimes I thought of building my own, and I think a couple of 100w bulbs would provide more than enough heat, but it is hard even for a pro to mix electricity and damp clothes safely, and I never risked it.
thirty years ago I made a contraption which would dry the clothes in winter -
. Normal clothes rack (one with six to ten horizontal rows of bars on a vertical frame)
. Hot Air Blower (used extensively for heating rooms. Came with a 3 speed fan) under it.

This worked till we got a front loader washing machine. After spin dry at 1000 RPM, clothes dry fast in Delhi weather, even in rainy season.
Old 26th November 2012, 21:19   #3281
BHPian

Re: Hair trimmer/clipper?

Could you please suggest/advice on any good hair trimmer/clipper for men. I would like to buy this in USA for one of my relatives.

Old 29th November 2012, 15:07   #3282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Could you please suggest/advice on any good hair trimmer/clipper for men. I would like to buy this in USA for one of my relatives.

My son bought a Phillips trimmer recently. Panasonic also has a men's trimmer. Google to get the details.
Old 29th November 2012, 17:37   #3283
Distinguished - BHPian

Iam in the market to buy a chimney and stove.

How is Glen as a brand to buy Chimney and Hobs? I know the AP Distributor and getting an awesome deal and may go with this brand most likely

Btw, was told by the owner that hobs are good only for design purpose but, cooks food slowly thereby increasing the gas consumption compared to normal stoves. Is this true?
Old 29th November 2012, 17:50   #3284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Iam in the market to buy a chimney and stove.

How is Glen as a brand to buy Chimney and Hobs? I know the AP Distributor and getting an awesome deal and may go with this brand most likely

Btw, was told by the owner that hobs are good only for design purpose but, cooks food slowly thereby increasing the gas consumption compared to normal stoves. Is this true?
Regarding hobs these are more fragile than the conventional one but I doubt they consume more gas. In conventional ones gas flame comes in the middle and on the circumference but in hobs it comes only on circumference which saves gas(my understanding and this what booklet of faber says) and utensils also does not get burnt. One thing I observed cooking takes more time.
One suggestion in new models of hobs(3 or 4 burner) one of the burner are hot plates. If you get this then you can think considering availability of subsidized gas
Old 29th November 2012, 17:54   #3285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post

Go for Philips grooming kit which take care of beard/nose and ear hairs/trimming etc. Sometimes i use it for hair cutting for my kid who creates scene whenever i take him to saloon

I guess model is QG3030 and cost around 1.5 to 2K
Check following link
http://www.philips.co.in/c/grooming-kit/17903/cat/

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks