Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2013, 13:34   #4021
BANNED

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
BTW: Is there a thread on safety razors/ shavers? I don' think they fit into home appliance thread, but I am looking for a Parker DE razor.
Ironically they are made in India and not for sale in India.
Just out of curiosity - why a safety razor?

FWIW, I used to use Gillette Sensor Excel. But then I stopped that after 15-20 years & I now use a Gillette disposable - it seems to last for ages if I shave everyday & lasts 7-10 times if I don't every day. There is also the Gillette Guard which is even cheaper and has a replaceable blade which is dirt cheap.

So the question is - what does a safety razor give you.
Old 14th November 2013, 14:17   #4022
BHPian

My 3 year Old front loading Siemens Washing machine had developed 'broken shaft' according to their service technician. They will send someone to change the drum assembly 'soon'. What kind of bill should I look at ? They have collected 700 R already for the visit.

They claimed when I bought the WM that it is the equivalent of a Merc. Now I know why they said that - based on the service bill. The technician said that as I use hard water, the stainless steel will corrode and such things happen. Any one with similar experience here ?
Old 14th November 2013, 14:19   #4023
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Just out of curiosity - why a safety razor?

FWIW, I used to use Gillette Sensor Excel. But then I stopped that after 15-20 years & I now use a Gillette disposable - it seems to last for ages if I shave everyday & lasts 7-10 times if I don't every day. There is also the Gillette Guard which is even cheaper and has a replaceable blade which is dirt cheap.

So the question is - what does a safety razor give you.
I graduated from those disposable ones to Mach 3 and then to Fusion Proglide.

The disposable ones were horrible. Mach 3 was good and still the best I have come across. At Rs. 80-100, they are somewhat worth the money.

Proglide blades are around Rs. 250 a piece and last about 8 times (one month for me). The Rs. 80 blade is actually better than the Rs. 250 blade. This is a typical case of less is more.

The other element is trying out something 'new' - rather, the good 'old' ways of shaving.

Do read this article for more reasons.
http://www.artofmanliness.com/2008/0...-your-grandpa/
Old 14th November 2013, 18:09   #4024
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
My 3 year Old front loading Siemens Washing machine had developed 'broken shaft' according to their service technician. They will send someone to change the drum assembly 'soon'. What kind of bill should I look at ? They have collected 700 R already for the visit.

They claimed when I bought the WM that it is the equivalent of a Merc. Now I know why they said that - based on the service bill. The technician said that as I use hard water, the stainless steel will corrode and such things happen. Any one with similar experience here ?
Siemens is as good or bad as the Bosch and in no way an expensive brand. Where these appliances mimic the Mercs and BMW is in their hefty service bills. If you have these you have to have AMC, else every time you will pay a hefty bill. In more that 10 years of owning an IFB we had AMC and it was worth it.

We had one change of our IFB drum and that was billed at around 4K four years ago. Normally the welds between the drum and the shaft break. If you are paying full price for the drum insist on a new part with factory packing (else they will try to palm off a repaired drum at full price) and also insist on retaining it (as you have paid for it), if the service centre insists on taking the drum back, then the replacement is a scam, as they will just repair the drum and fit it some where else.
Old 14th November 2013, 19:36   #4025
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
We had one change of our IFB drum and that was billed at around 4K four years ago. Normally the welds between the drum and the shaft break. If you are paying full price for the drum insist on a new part with factory packing (else they will try to palm off a repaired drum at full price) and also insist on retaining it (as you have paid for it), if the service centre insists on taking the drum back, then the replacement is a scam, as they will just repair the drum and fit it some where else.
Thanks Aroy Sir. Ok. I will retain the drum and get it welded locally so that I can use that next time the replacement fails.

Thanks again Sir.
Old 14th November 2013, 19:51   #4026

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post

We too had similar issues almost 2 years back. Hard water had corroded back side of the drum and one of the three arms holding drum broke. There was no visible scaling inside the drum but outside was pathetic.

It did not end with the SS inner drum replacement, misaligned drum had teared plastic outer drum and had to replace both drums and some bearing. Total cost came to around 10K then.
Old 14th November 2013, 22:10   #4027
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
BTW: Is there a thread on safety razors/ shavers? I don' think they fit into home appliance thread, but I am looking for a Parker DE razor.
Ironically they are made in India and not for sale in India.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...commend-4.html covers at least one aspect.
Old 15th November 2013, 13:30   #4028
BHPian

They gave the quote today Rs16k. It is not worth repairing if they charge me 80 % of the purchase price. I will never again buy a Siemens.

Any good local repairer in Chennai ?
I would be grateful if someone can suggest someone based on their past experience.
Old 15th November 2013, 14:25   #4029
BHPian

need suggestions for good trust worthy stream iron for home use.
Old 15th November 2013, 21:08   #4030
BANNED

@sam003; I have had very good experience with Tefal, Morphy Richards and Kenwood. Not so good with Philips.
Old 15th November 2013, 23:32   #4031
Senior - BHPian

I too don't have a good experience with Philips Steam irons. Morphy Richard's are better. BTW i just bought a Siemens 5.5 kg Machine, hope i don't get scary experiences as Aroy.
Old 16th November 2013, 00:12   #4032
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by agspins View Post
BTW i just bought a Siemens 5.5 kg Machine, hope i don't get scary experiences as Aroy.
Siemens and Bosch, both are essentially the same units sans for the rebranding. They are manufactured in the same plant as well - BSH. If you notice carefully at an outlet, both the machines would look very identical including their detergent trays, quality of the plastics, drums, controls etc.

We have a Bosch 5.5 kg unit (WAG14060IN) here for over an year (2 bachelors in the home - weekly two loads) and it has been working well. No complaints so far. We do not pre-scrub the collars of the shirts and it comes out quite clean.

Turns out, Bosch has stopped that model and has a newer lineup with LED displays!
Old 16th November 2013, 23:18   #4033
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam003 View Post
need suggestions for good trust worthy stream iron for home use.
Old Philips steam irons were good. Recent ones, not so much.

Our previous Philips steam iron lasted us 8+ years without a single problem. Purchased a new one for a bigger water tank. Using it for the past 6 months and the paint on the knob is already gone.
Old 17th November 2013, 10:48   #4034
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pallavi View Post

Old Philips steam irons were good. Recent ones, not so much.

Our previous Philips steam iron lasted us 8+ years without a single problem. Purchased a new one for a bigger water tank. Using it for the past 6 months and the paint on the knob is already gone.
I am using a bajaj-black&decker for almost 20 yrs now, I bought it for around 1200/- during my engineering days and it is still going strong

But I don't think bajaj and black&decker are still together, need to be checked out
Old 17th November 2013, 11:03   #4035
Distinguished - BHPian

Best induction hot plate guys? Need to get one...any recommendations?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks