Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2013, 20:20   #3916
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
That is exactly what I said. Top loaders can use regular detergents while front loaders cannot. You have to use a non lather forming detergent.
I have used normal detergents in front loading machine. The only problem is that normal detergents have a lot of foaming agents (to please the user?), while the front loading detergent does not. If you use cold cycle the normal detergent does not foam. It is when you use hot cycle : 60-90 degrees that the foaming starts in earnest.
Old 5th September 2013, 20:36   #3917
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I have used normal detergents in front loading machine. The only problem is that normal detergents have a lot of foaming agents (to please the user?), while the front loading detergent does not. If you use cold cycle the normal detergent does not foam. It is when you use hot cycle : 60-90 degrees that the foaming starts in earnest.
I wouldn't risk it at all. I once tried using hand dishwashing liquid in the dishwasher & my whole kitchen floor was full of bubbles.
Old 6th September 2013, 09:53   #3918
BANNED

The only thing I have done is to use a Front Loader Detergent in my dishwasher - this was early 90's when dishwasher soap was not available.
Old 6th September 2013, 10:11   #3919
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
I have not seen the BPL brand in the store. And by your suggestion, will get the eveready LED emergency lamp.
Try the BPL Studylite. It's a bit pricey for an LED (around Rs. 1,500/-) but worth every penny. It works as a table lamp on mains and also has battery back up of four hours. It has supposedly been developed jointly with Sankara Nethralaya. I have been using two of these for the last three years and am yet to face any problems. You can get it on Flipcart or from the BPL site.
Old 6th September 2013, 13:31   #3920
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I have been using normal detergents in my front loader since last so many years that I could not really recall. We used to use surf excelmatic for FL washing machines, but then shifted to normal surf excel. I also use normal woolen detergents like Easy liquid detergent for woolens. Just use them in limited quantity so that the suds formation is not much.
Old 6th September 2013, 14:22   #3921
BANNED

In a front loader the action is by clothes toppling/falling into the liquid, so any foam also reduces the washing efficiency.
Old 6th September 2013, 21:45   #3922
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babuda View Post
Try the BPL Studylite.
Its a study lite. Not sure how bright it would be to lit atleast one of my room. Any other products from BPL do you suggest?
Old 7th September 2013, 14:33   #3923
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Its a study lite. Not sure how bright it would be to lit atleast one of my room. Any other products from BPL do you suggest?
You can try the L650 with CFL tubes or the L1000 which has LED's. I used to have a 650 which lasted almost 8 years with no maintenance. After that died, I bought a L1000. Unfortunately, the build quality is not what it used to be so I cannot vouch for the longevity of the current product. However, the light intensity is more than adequate and it has a two stage brightness control to conserve battery life.
Old 8th September 2013, 22:06   #3924
Senior - BHPian

I got Hitachi's RAV518HTD Summer QC unit delivered today (1.5 ton) along with Kent's Pearl Water Purifier. Got the AC up and running but the water purifier will be installed tomorrow.

MRP on the Hitachi website was 35.5k but I got one for 31.5k from a household appliance shop.

AC - 31500/-
V-Guard Stabilizer 4 KVA (3 year replacement warranty) - 1800/-
Delivery & Installation - 500/-

Total - 33800/-

Kent's Pearl Water Purifier - 16000/-

PS: The AC looks awesome, haven't seen a better window unit in person.
Old 12th September 2013, 11:52   #3925
BHPian

I am looking for a portable electricity meter, which can help me the voltage, consumption of electricity by a equipment (TV, PC, AC, Fridge etc).

I came across the below in ebay. I would like to know if this equipment will be good for doing this. Also please let me know if there is any other better options.

http://www.ebay.in/itm/ENERGY-METER-...-/190772664843
Old 12th September 2013, 16:04   #3926
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_devakumar View Post
I came across the below in ebay.
Cool. That's a very useful meter. If you happen to buy this do post a review. I too need to buy a similar one.
Old 14th September 2013, 09:27   #3927
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_devakumar View Post
I am looking for a portable electricity meter, which can help me the voltage, consumption of electricity by a equipment (TV, PC, AC, Fridge etc).

I came across the below in ebay. I would like to know if this equipment will be good for doing this. Also please let me know if there is any other better options.

http://www.ebay.in/itm/ENERGY-METER-...-/190772664843
Yes this will do the trick. I have two of these from the UK. I think was a lot cheaper though. Around 1000rs or so.
There is now an Indian company making this too. Can't recall the name now. But that is priced similar to your eBay link.
Old 14th September 2013, 10:19   #3928
Senior - BHPian

Refrigerator query

Guys,

I scanned the thread but, did not find recent posts on refrigerator.

My ~10 year old Electrolux Kelvinator FF was acting funny for last few weeks. While freezer would chill, refrigerator compartment was not getting cold enough. Opened the back panel inside the freezer and found ice crystals allover the cooling coil. Also, noticed that heater coil had fallen loose from its seating and burnt the plastic air deflector (which directs part of fan air below into the refrigerator compartment). I tied it up and covered the burnt hole with some kitchen aluminum foil. The solution is working now satisfactorily, but, am sure it will give up any day.

I have no experience of EKL service- this is the first issue with the fridge. Need advice on following:

1) Should I check with EKL service and replace the panel if possible. Am not sure if they will have the spares for such an old model. Also, what is their "visiting charges" for examining the problem? I am sure, they will not believe if I tell them the problem/model# on phone, will insist a technician visit. Is it worth the trouble?

2) Should I exchange with a more "modern" FF refrigerator. If yes, pls suggest some models/brand > 300ltrs.

3) What could be decent exchange value of old refrigerator (it is 275L + compressor is Matshuhita Malaysia make).

Thanks is advance,
-BJ
Old 14th September 2013, 10:48   #3929
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Guys,

1) Should I check with EKL service and replace the panel if possible. Am not sure if they will have the spares for such an old model. Also, what is their "visiting charges" for examining the problem? I am sure, they will not believe if I tell them the problem/model# on phone, will insist a technician visit. Is it worth the trouble?

2) Should I exchange with a more "modern" FF refrigerator. If yes, pls suggest some models/brand > 300ltrs.

3) What could be decent exchange value of old refrigerator (it is 275L + compressor is Matshuhita Malaysia make).

Thanks is advance,
-BJ
The service tech will charge somewhere between 250-400 for a visit.its worth a shot to get an opinion.

Lg/Samsung /whirlpool are a safe bet with 10 yr compressor warranty being available.

A new refrigerator will also be more energy efficient .

Exchange price for old refrigerator will be poor-almost at scrap prices if you exchange it from a showroom. Unless you take the effort to find a good Refrigeration technician who may help you to dispose it off.
Old 14th September 2013, 10:54   #3930
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: Refrigerator query

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Before spending a lot of money on a new fridge, it would surely be worth getting it checked out by a EKL Service person. If you phone them, they would tell you the charges.

Most Viewed