Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2013, 14:20   #3976
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

LG 5.5 kg was going for 19,500 in April'13 in Delhi.
Old 24th October 2013, 14:46   #3977
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
This is one of the reasons I prefer to visit the store and evaluate the appliance.
Yes. Planned this for the weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh1868 View Post

Mom always adds some clothes once washing has started which may not be possible in a front loaded one. Is there anything really advantageous in a front loaded one over a top loaded one?

Also any suggestion for a sub 20k Washer is welcome.
Same requirement -went for a top loader LG with some 10 year motor warranty, detergent detection and some other fancy stuff.
So far, the wash quality is better than what the maid used to provide.
Spent Rs. 18000. So, break-even is about 3.5 years for us.

The supply water force is not enough, so the cycle time increases. To reduce that we use another water tap, put a small pipe to it, open the lid and let water in through the secondary source. This speeds up the water filling in the tub and decreases the overall cycle. Need to do this twice in a 45 minute fuzzy logic cycle at full load. Else the cycle takes longer.

This is not inconvenient, but just a speed up tip.
We have not played around with the controls too much, fuzzy logic does the trick.
Got cushions and curtains washed the other day, after 1 year of usage. Cannot imagine this to be possible without a machine.
Also, we can set a 5 hour timer, so, put the clothes in the night and the machine will start working after 5 hours (early morning). So, you wake up and just dry the clothes. How convenient.

Edit: Here is the model: http://www.lg.com/in/washing-machine...ashing-machine

Last edited by S_U_N : 24th October 2013 at 14:52.
Old 24th October 2013, 15:58   #3978
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Yes. Planned this for the weekend.

Same requirement -went for a top loader LG with some 10 year motor warranty, detergent detection and some other fancy stuff.
So far, the wash quality is better than what the maid used to provide.
Spent Rs. 18000. So, break-even is about 3.5 years for us.

The supply water force is not enough, so the cycle time increases. To reduce that we use another water tap, put a small pipe to it, open the lid and let water in through the secondary source. This speeds up the water filling in the tub and decreases the overall cycle. Need to do this twice in a 45 minute fuzzy logic cycle at full load. Else the cycle takes longer.

Edit: Here is the model: http://www.lg.com/in/washing-machine...ashing-machine
Good point about the water force. We too do the same thing with our current Whirlpool. This may not be possible with a front loader. But if water consumption is less, it is advantagous for me as we have scarcity in our area. How long have you been using the LG one? How long is the general warranty and other AMC rates?
Old 25th October 2013, 17:11   #3979
BHPian

I have a LG 320 litre refrigerator bought in October 2011. (http://www.lg.com/in/refrigerators/l...r-refrigerator) The refrigerator was working fine until a month back when it started giving problems.

LG tried fixing it twice and gave up. The sorry state of affairs at LG Customer service deserves a dedicated thread!

Finally LG has decided to refund me the invoice value of the refrigerator.

My question is which refrigerators should I look at in the 300-350 litres range?
Old 25th October 2013, 17:36   #3980
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoghchaphalkar View Post
LG tried fixing it twice and gave up. The sorry state of affairs at LG Customer service deserves a dedicated thread!

Finally LG has decided to refund me the invoice value of the refrigerator.

My question is which refrigerators should I look at in the 300-350 litres range?
I have been on the receiving end of LG service once. Never had any LG product since then! Life is Good! BTW, great that they are refunding you the money.

A lot of Japanese refrigerators are fantastic. Sharp has fantastic reputation. I have a Panasonic which is very good. In mass market, I think more or less every brand is almost alike, be it LG, Samsung or Whirlpool.
Old 25th October 2013, 18:00   #3981
BHPian

Frankly having used a lot of brands over past so many years what i realize is that almost all brands are equal more or less (electronic products). Sometimes some turns out as expected & other times the same brand gives you trouble. There is hardly any brand that stands apart in any manner whatsoever - product quality or service.
Old 25th October 2013, 19:29   #3982
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anks_at View Post
Frankly having used a lot of brands over past so many years what i realize is that almost all brands are equal more or less (electronic products). Sometimes some turns out as expected & other times the same brand gives you trouble. There is hardly any brand that stands apart in any manner whatsoever - product quality or service.

I have had all sorts of refrigerators and most of them never gave any trouble. Our 5 year old Whirlpool 400L had a compressor change in warranty and the defrosting module change a few months back.

From what I have deduced, the electronics in the modern refrigerators is what creates all the problems and in general it can be attributed to very dirty power.

If you have space I would suggest two 200-250L refrigerators rather than one 300-500L ones. First of all most of the 350+ sizes are imported hence their spares availability is questionable in long term. Secondly with two refrigerators you use one for long term storage, opening it once in one or two days and the other one for daily use. In case one goes you still have the other to fall back on.

In case you have to get one large machine, choose it on the following basis
. Longest warranty for compressor
. Longest warranty on the rest of the machine
. Warranty of electronics
. Service network in your area. Please take a feedback from users in your area.
Old 26th October 2013, 13:26   #3983
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Thanks a lot mate. I ordered the philips one. Hope its compact! Will update once i get hold of the product

Does anyone have experience with wet shavers like this one?
http://www.flipkart.com/philips-at89...f-db3345635678

Does this replace the razor blades completely? Can this be used with normal gel/foam?

Any better suggestions for wet shavers?
I bought this model Wet Shaver from Amazon in USA. Have used for wet shaving using foam. Gives a smooth shave. Have not tried Gel. Works well with foam. Needs to be thoroughly cleaned after use. Great product.
No idea about other alternatives
Old 26th October 2013, 23:18   #3984
BANNED

I may be one of the longest term users of Electric Shavers around, since end 1973. One piece of advice for those planning to switch. The first three weeks are tough. By the third month you are in heaven.
Old 30th October 2013, 13:27   #3985
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I may be one of the longest term users of Electric Shavers around, since end 1973. One piece of advice for those planning to switch. The first three weeks are tough. By the third month you are in heaven.
Yes Sir..that was my experience too.After a fortnight,the results were great.
Old 30th October 2013, 15:24   #3986
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh1868 View Post
Good point about the water force. We too do the same thing with our current Whirlpool. This may not be possible with a front loader. But if water consumption is less, it is advantagous for me as we have scarcity in our area. How long have you been using the LG one? How long is the general warranty and other AMC rates?
We got it just 3-4 months ago.
The general warranty is for 2 years I think (honestly I do not remember).
AMC rates - no idea.
Old 30th October 2013, 22:13   #3987
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgopal View Post
Yes Sir..that was my experience too.After a fortnight,the results were great.
Thanks. Your opinions were indeed of great help. Will order one for my father soon
Old 30th October 2013, 22:15   #3988
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
2 questions
- How are Electric Shavers better than a normal Gillette disposable?
- What electric shaver would you recommend?
Old 31st October 2013, 09:21   #3989
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
1 How are Electric Shavers better than a normal Gillette disposable?
2 What electric shaver would you recommend?
1, More convenient and handy.
2. I have used Philips (Norelco in the US) all my life. I did have a Braun battery unit (foil type). Shavers are of three types - Rotary (Philips is the best), Foil (Braun), and Comb (Remington). Take your pick.
Old 31st October 2013, 09:37   #3990
BHPian

Ques : MY 4 years of IFB Microwave has conked off. Mostly transformer has gone kaput.
IFB told be estimated repair/replacement cost will be 4K.

Worth it?

Or should I get a new Microwave?

Also, what is a reliable Microwave which will let me bake stuff in it? Baking is going to be quite often to make home made cakes and breads.

Most Viewed