Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2013, 12:56   #3856
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Planning to buy an OTG for home. Occassional Pizza and cakes at home is the primary use.
Feedback from fellow bhpians on their experiences on brands and usage are welcome
Old 19th August 2013, 16:18   #3857
BHPian

I have got a Samsung Grill Oven has gift. Can I purchase a skewer and make kebabs using it? If yes, where can I get the skewers?
Old 19th August 2013, 19:01   #3858
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
I have got a Samsung Grill Oven has gift. Can I purchase a skewer and make kebabs using it? If yes, where can I get the skewers?
I assume you want skewers so that the kebabs can be rotated. If so then you may be out of luck as the MW with rotisserie(Rotating attachment) comes with its bar and pincers. Check your manual for details.

If you just want skewers to thread the meat and cook on them, then try the Thai wooden skewers. They are available in large stores in varying lengths - 3", 4", 6", 10" etc)
Old 20th August 2013, 21:48   #3859
BHPian

Guys now the CAD(Current Account deficit) has caught up with the importing of LED tv's. From next week import of LED/LCD tv's in India will attract 36% duty on the product. This is the latest announcement from the ministry of India. I dont understand whats happening here, what is the government trying to prove. With Tv's costing almost 50% more than what they are abroad who will want to buy from here. A 32" LED selling in Dubai for about 15000INR which includes the manufacturers proft + dealer profit retails in india at around 25000. When they can sell at 15000 abroad which includes all profits then why should we pay 10000 rupees more when we can buy the same thing abroad. Is it the manufacturer who gains or the government? In the end its we who are the biggest losers.
Old 21st August 2013, 10:52   #3860
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I assume you want skewers so that the kebabs can be rotated. If so then you may be out of luck as the MW with rotisserie(Rotating attachment) comes with its bar and pincers. Check your manual for details.

If you just want skewers to thread the meat and cook on them, then try the Thai wooden skewers. They are available in large stores in varying lengths - 3", 4", 6", 10" etc)
Sure will check the manual. And from where I can source these Thai wooden skewers ?
Old 21st August 2013, 11:04   #3861
BANNED

@zwift1819; As the saying goes, you get the government you deserve!
Old 21st August 2013, 15:30   #3862
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sure will check the manual. And from where I can source these Thai wooden skewers ?
In Delhi you get them at any major department store, or at INA market. Basically if you find shops selling bamboo steaming baskets, they will have the skewers. They are like oversize tooth picks.
Old 21st August 2013, 15:44   #3863
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
In Delhi you get them at any major department store, or at INA market. Basically if you find shops selling bamboo steaming baskets, they will have the skewers. They are like oversize tooth picks.
Is it the same one used by Chinese/japs to eat their sushi/noodles ? Will we able to microwave these wooden sticks ?
Old 21st August 2013, 15:54   #3864
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is it the same one used by Chinese/japs to eat their sushi/noodles ? Will we able to microwave these wooden sticks ?
No the chopsticks are thicker at least 5mm in diameter. The cooking skewers are thinner max 3mm and mostly 2mm diameter. They look like giant sized tooth picks.

Wood is not microwave friendly. It will first dry out and then catch fire. For microwave just arrange the kebabs on a dish and cook (with or without a lid). Put them on skewers for serving.
Old 21st August 2013, 22:36   #3865
BHPian

Guys,

Looking to buy a front loading washing machine, budget ~30-35k. Have shortlisted LG, Siemens and Bosch. Strictly no IFB, which is what I'm replacing after 5 years of very troublesome service.

I've been reading reviews online and it seems that while Siemens/Bosch make the best machines, service quality is quite poor and spares cost a bomb. LG seems to be the best trade-off in terms of both quality and service. Would really appreciate if I could hear some first hand service experiences of these brands from you all.

Also, I'm being offered 5K off in exchange for my IFB machine. Is that good enough or should I bargain some more?
Old 21st August 2013, 22:41   #3866
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimwian View Post

I've been reading reviews online and it seems that while Siemens/Bosch make the best machines, service quality is quite poor and spares cost a bomb. LG seems to be the best trade-off in terms of both quality and service. Would really appreciate if I could hear some first hand service experiences of these brands from you all.
LG Service is amazing. It's one of the best I have ever experienced. Go with LG - you won't repent it.
Old 21st August 2013, 22:54   #3867
Distinguished - BHPian

Dissenting voice... I wouldn't buy LG again. It is ok, but the build is not heavy enough and it vibrates, and how ever carefully it is levelled and set up, it will not stop vibrating. I have to improvise non-slip pads for it to sit on so it does not walk and throw itself off the slightly-above-floor concrete ledge it sits on. It did that once.

The price difference is probably large, but, if Bosch or Siemens can be afforded, that is what I would go for. My only reservation is that I don't think that they provide rat protection, and rats destroyed my last machine.

If the washing machine is good, it should never need service.
Old 22nd August 2013, 02:21   #3868
Senior - BHPian

Do yourself a favour and take a good look at the new FLs from Panasonic. Great quality and pretty strong service network too.

If you do want LG, then look at the name plate and if it reads 'Made in Korea' buy it. Service is indeed fantastic. In the one year of ownership have called them twice (clogged filter and some confusion regarding the dryer section). Revert, visit and solution were prompt and satisfactory.

Flame me all you want but IFB is passe..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimwian View Post
Guys,

Looking to buy a front loading washing machine, budget ~30-35k. Have shortlisted LG, Siemens and Bosch. Strictly no IFB, which is what I'm replacing after 5 years of very troublesome service.

Also, I'm being offered 5K off in exchange for my IFB machine. Is that good enough or should I bargain some more?
Old 22nd August 2013, 07:54   #3869
BHPian

Check if you have a Bosch service center in your locality. If you have one go for Bosch. It looks neat and good.
Old 22nd August 2013, 10:35   #3870
Senior - BHPian

I have replaced my 10+ year old with LG 6kg machine. The difference is amazing.
. LG is much quieter
. Low vibration even at 1200 RPM
. The LG drum is much smaller, so you will be able to load only 2/3 as much as IFB, hence get a bigger size.
. LG adapts the wash cycle to weight/quantity of the clothes, hence a smaller load gets done in under 1 hour, while heavy (both in weight and volume) can take upto 4 hours.
. LG has direct drive, and the motor has a warranty of 10 years.

I have gone for extended service, so that I will have at least 6 years of service with all parts included.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks