Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2013, 22:15   #3901
BANNED

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
A semi automatic will be more complicated than fully automatic.
Saved me the trouble of typing - thank you. The only reason to ever buy a semi-automatic is because you cannot afford an automatic.
Old 4th September 2013, 22:39   #3902
Distinguished - BHPian

Absolutely. For simplicity, fully-auto is the way to go. You "dial in" eg cotton, wool, blankets, And that's it.

optional choices on top of that can be used as and when needed --- and stuff like spin speed and temperature are unlikely to be too techie for someone who is used to washing clothes!
Old 4th September 2013, 22:55   #3903
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
I have IFB microwave and washing machine. Its' replacement will not be IFB anymore.
+1 to this. I received a IFB Microwave as a gift from my BIL and I am begining to wonder if this was really a gift. It has been nothing short of an headache to operate it. Nothing ever seems to come out the way it is supposed to. Never again.
Old 4th September 2013, 23:35   #3904
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheelz View Post
Strange that a company like Samsung is willing to refund customer money rather than offer some other model or provide a replacement.
Even i've got a refund from Samsung for a faulty TV. The reason for refund rather than replacement was, that particular model had been discontinued(hence no stock)and a new series had been launched.
Could be the same reason in your case too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheelz View Post
Haven't received the money though.
The cheque will be handed over to you, when they come to collect the faulty unit.

Last edited by Daewood : 4th September 2013 at 23:39.
Old 5th September 2013, 00:37   #3905
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
-->Is bosch a good buy ?

What about service ? Please help .
BOSCH is definetly good, have been using theirs for over an year, and only a minor issues due to water clogging, and that wasnt the mistake of the machine. Their service is good too. They are a little pricey though.
Old 5th September 2013, 09:24   #3906
BANNED

As for service it can be highly location specific. Looks like Bosch may be good overall.
Old 5th September 2013, 09:48   #3907
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
I am in lookout for a emergency lights for my home. Checked DMart and there were 2 brands which were in my budget/taste.

My calculation, if CFL goes for a toss, we can easily replace it. But even if one LED goes for a toss, we need to replace the complete set.

Am I right in my assumption? Which emergency lamp is suggested/recommended?
I have never seen LEDs go bad. They are very reliable and power efficient.

I am using a BPL SL 1300 LED Solar Light. It can be charged through wall outlet or through the supplied solar charging panel.

Rohan
Old 5th September 2013, 13:47   #3908
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
I have never seen LEDs go bad. They are very reliable and power efficient.

I am using a BPL SL 1300 LED Solar Light. It can be charged through wall outlet or through the supplied solar charging panel.

Rohan
I have not seen the BPL brand in the store. And by your suggestion, will get the eveready LED emergency lamp.
Old 5th September 2013, 15:19   #3909
BHPian

Quote:
A semi automatic will be more complicated than fully automatic.
In semi automatic you need to
1. Set up cycle
2. Run cycle
3. Take out clothes and put in separate drum
4. Again setup stuff and run.

With fully automatic(base models) all you need to do is put in clothes, select wash program(rotate a dial) and then take out clothes.
You can choose a basic model which will have modes like
Cotton,synthetic,delicate,handwash/wool,Quick
You can leave machine in quick mode so all you need to do is press start button thats it. Nothing else to do!
@tsk1979

I am not against an automatic one and i am currently using a videocon automatic machine and my mom is using a samsung semi-automatic(she has been using them for the past 15 years or so). She used a whirlpool semi-automatic one before that. She doen't use the dryer except at times when it rains nonstop that too very rarely. The machine is always set to heavy wash cycle and that has been the way always. This washing machine that we are planning to buy will be placed at the back of the house where it will receive partial exposure to elements, so anything sensitive is a no no. Initially i planned to by a Panasonic model for her (14kg one, which i am planning to by now), but she said no automatics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Saved me the trouble of typing - thank you. The only reason to ever buy a semi-automatic is because you cannot afford an automatic.
@carboy

Affordability is not an issue here. The LG semi-automatic model which we are planning to get is around 16K, for the same price i can get an automatic in another brand, or for another 2K extra, we can get one from LG too. Just that she wanted it to remain sem-automatic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Absolutely. For simplicity, fully-auto is the way to go. You "dial in" eg cotton, wool, blankets, And that's it.

optional choices on top of that can be used as and when needed --- and stuff like spin speed and temperature are unlikely to be too techie for someone who is used to washing clothes!
@Thad E Ginathom

She doesn't use any of that. she always uses the heavy setting. If the cloth to be washed is too delicate, she gives it for dry cleaning :-).

If all of you suggest to go the automatic way, which one should we go for. I can stretch the budget till 35K. Will see how far i can convince my mom.
Old 5th September 2013, 15:22   #3910
BANNED

There was a time, early days,when full autos picked up a bad name, since even a momentary power glitch will reset the programme, and back to square one, load detergent ... Now almost all autos remember where they were! So some people will have to be convinced.
Old 5th September 2013, 15:36   #3911
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeswaranK7 View Post
She doen't use the dryer except at times when it rains nonstop that too very rarely.
that's one good reason to go for an semi-automatic, if being eco-friendly as much as possible makes you happy.
Old 5th September 2013, 16:34   #3912
BANNED

Quote:
. She doen't use the dryer except at times when it rains nonstop that too very rarely.
I suspect that is the because of the inconvenience of taking the clothes from one tub to another. And this inconvenience is not there automatics.

Quote:
This washing machine that we are planning to buy will be placed at the back of the house where it will receive partial exposure to elements, so anything sensitive is a no no.
Why would an automatic be more sensitive than a non-automatic? My LG Automatic is inside the bathroom - I think the bathroom is very exposed to water etc - but no problems with controls till now - except for one sensor which had to replaced after 5 years and cost Rs. 40.

Quote:

Initially i planned to by a Panasonic model for her (14kg one, which i am planning to by now), but she said no automatics.
What capacity is the current semi-automatic?

Quote:

Affordability is not an issue here.
I didn't say you are buying a semi because of affordability reasons :-) I said there is no other valid reason to do so. If someone can afford it and is still opting for a semi, then he/she has misconceptions, I think.

Quote:

She doesn't use any of that. she always uses the heavy setting.
Same thing in my home - the same setting is used in my automatic 90% of the times.
Old 5th September 2013, 16:41   #3913
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@tsk1979

I am not against an automatic one and i am currently using a videocon automatic machine and my mom is using a samsung semi-automatic(she has been using them for the past 15 years or so). She used a whirlpool semi-automatic one before that. She doen't use the dryer except at times when it rains nonstop that too very rarely. The machine is always set to heavy wash cycle and that has been the way always. This washing machine that we are planning to buy will be placed at the back of the house where it will receive partial exposure to elements, so anything sensitive is a no no. Initially i planned to by a Panasonic model for her (14kg one, which i am planning to by now), but she said no automatics..
you get fully automatic with manual dials which can be set to heavy wash. So all you need to do is switch on power and then switch start, nothing else. Only drawback? You need to buy detergent which is twice the cost of regular detergent.
Also, from personal experience, regular detergents which can be used in top loading clean better than those used in front loading.
So in that way, a top loader can give you better results. But you do get top loaders in fully automatic with manual controls
Old 5th September 2013, 17:19   #3914
BANNED

Quote:
you get fully automatic with manual dials which can be set to heavy wash. So all you need to do is switch on power and then switch start, nothing else. Only drawback? You need to buy detergent which is twice the cost of regular detergent.
Also, from personal experience, regular detergents which can be used in top loading clean better than those used in front loading.
So in that way, a top loader can give you better results. But you do get top loaders in fully automatic with manual controls
I use regular detergents with my top loader. No complaints till now.
Old 5th September 2013, 17:21   #3915
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I use regular detergents with my top loader. No complaints till now.
That is exactly what I said. Top loaders can use regular detergents while front loaders cannot. You have to use a non lather forming detergent.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks