Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2012, 10:37   #3166
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
You can try Prestige.These days I have heard good reviews of the same. By the way, only flat bottomed stainless steel utensils can be used. My cooker's booklet advised against using copper bottomed pans.

For our kind of usage, electricity bill went up by 15 units avg and lpg cylinder lasts double of what it used to be earlier.

Regards,
Mohit,

Thanks a ton for the guidance. Are you sure that we can use stainless steel flat bottom utensils ?

Was under the impression that only steel and iron utensils are comfortable on induction cooking.

Any make of prestige to be preferred at ?

Thanks a ton
Old 10th October 2012, 10:38   #3167
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
...I have never defrosted it in 7 years and this kind of frost has never formed.
Check the door seal rubber for tears causing air leaks or something preventing it from closing properly, before you call in a technician. Haier components are not easily available on the market, so it would be preferable to call a company tech even though he might be more expensive.
Old 10th October 2012, 10:43   #3168
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Check the door seal rubber for tears causing air leaks or something preventing it from closing properly, before you call in a technician. Haier components are not easily available on the market, so it would be preferable to call a company tech even though he might be more expensive.
I cannot see any tears, but it's pretty old now & there may be small leaks. Is there something simple I can do(not good at DIY) or is it best to call the technician?
Old 10th October 2012, 11:02   #3169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Mohit,

Was under the impression that only steel and iron utensils are comfortable on induction cooking.
Not all. Pure SS will not work. But then the SS cooker and a CC pan that I had at home worked. I am not sure what would you call such utensils that are SS but will attach to a magnet.

However, if you are buying new set of utensils, you do get induction based stuff also. I have seen this for cookers and frying pans.

Regards,
Old 10th October 2012, 11:08   #3170
Distinguished - BHPian

@carboy: Feel around the margins for any cold air, with your hand. The technician is always the easiest solution.
Old 10th October 2012, 11:10   #3171
BANNED

@amohit; Stainless and non-magnetic are two different things. Most SS we get it non-magnetic but it is not necessary. See the best (kichen) knives they are NOT non-magnetic, and most of them being German will have the logo Rost Frei!
Old 11th October 2012, 09:13   #3172
BHPian

Re: Electric fireplace

Hi guys,

Looking for contacts for buying a good electric fireplace. Any pointers?
Old 15th October 2012, 16:20   #3173
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
@carboy: Feel around the margins for any cold air, with your hand. The technician is always the easiest solution.
Called the Haier Guy. Both the doors (the freezer & the fridge) had a vertical play - i.e. the doors had fallen a few mm (which was possibly causing the leak). The guy removed both the doors and refitted them after using some kind of washer fashioned with something that looked like copper roll. No vertical play now.

Anyway, will take a few days to figure out whether the problem is fixed. I can call them back within a month if the problem is not fixed & I won't be charged the visit charges again.

Seems like Haier service is far more expensive than others. Minimum charges are Rs. 380 for the service visit (for a double door 300+ ltr fridge). Also took them a week to respond to the service call, unlike LG which usually is in a day or two.

I don't know about LG's fridge repair charges, but a couple of years back, their washing machine service visit charges was just Rs. 150.

Last edited by carboy : 15th October 2012 at 16:23.
Old 15th October 2012, 21:25   #3174
BHPian

Am looking out for a washing machine and have zeroed on an IFB Elite SX 7kg washing machine. Would like to know if any Bhpian has bought this before.

There are direct drive washing machines too which dealers claim that is more faster moving as its a new technology and saves on electricity bills too as it supposedly uses less wattage because it goes by the weight of the clothes inside the drum. I prefer to stay away from these new technologies.

I have read some reviews saying IFB WM's are no longer like what it used to be before in terms of quality. I prefer the IFB now because they come with 4 year complete warranty on the machines whereas brands like the Samsung and Lg have 2 years warranty.

Any suggestions please!
Old 15th October 2012, 21:57   #3175
BANNED

If you go back in this thread - there are a lot of reviews of IFB - most of them bad.
Old 16th October 2012, 12:07   #3176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwift1819 View Post
I prefer the IFB now because they come with 4 year complete warranty on the machines whereas brands like the Samsung and Lg have 2 years warranty.
Having experienced the IFB nightmare, I won't touch any IFB product with a pole. It is entirely up to you if you want something which will be out for service for most of the warranty period or something which just works.
Old 17th October 2012, 00:37   #3177
BHPian

I used an ifb for about 8 years. No major issues. Now I have a Samsung front load and it is going great for past 14 months. I also have a top load whirlpool which has given me a lot of grief but I had 4 years warranty on it expiring this month, which saved me a lot of money.
Old 17th October 2012, 00:50   #3178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwift1819 View Post
I have read some reviews saying IFB WM's are no longer like what it used to be before in terms of quality. I prefer the IFB now because they come with 4 year complete warranty on the machines whereas brands like the Samsung and Lg have 2 years warranty.
these reviews are all true. trust me i have an IFB and am frustrated beyond limit by the service. I would not buy an IFB even if they give 10 years warranty.
LG direct drive is not such a new technology, it has been there for atleast 4-5 years and is doing very well. i am also averse to brand new tech but this one has had good reviews everywhere. what ever you buy i would advise you to stay away from IFB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
If you go back in this thread - there are a lot of reviews of IFB - most of them bad.
no need to go back, with the sheer number of users being scammed by them these negative reviews will spawn up very soon on any mention of ifb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Having experienced the IFB nightmare, I won't touch any IFB product with a pole. It is entirely up to you if you want something which will be out for service for most of the warranty period or something which just works.
my thoughts exactly. i wonder if we start an IFB victim group on facebook, it would probably get very famous very quickly. maybe hit 1 lakh in a month or something ?
Old 21st October 2012, 13:21   #3179
BANNED

I need to get a sandwich maker - http://www.flipkart.com/search-homea...sandwich+maker

Never used one before. There is a huge range from Rs. 800 to Rs.4000+.

What's the difference? What should I look for?
Old 21st October 2012, 13:52   #3180
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Never used one before.
Have you eaten the results? Cooked between two hot plates, with the butter on the outside, the result is a sort of fried sandwich. If you have tried it, and do like it, then, yes, you need to get a sandwich maker.

Most Viewed