Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2010, 20:00   #1081
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
The IFB service was good. I had to refuse AMC as the machine needed repairs urgently.
They've also handed me to packets of Descal. Has anyone used them before? Are they useful?
Do not take the AMC. I took AMC only because I had to call the service several times within the warranty period. You decide a "mean time between failures" accepted to yourselves, and if the thing fails within that period, dump it. Each service call takes up to one week of downtime; and do think you have either a "long" wardrobe, or can afford to go around naked?

This descal thing costs around 250/- and will be used every time you summon the service, and AMC or no AMC, you will be charged for it. Here, in Kochi / Ernakulam we have purest, softest water (if you take it from the local body pipes), and this thing is simply a waste.

And things like the door, belt, etc. will not be covered by the AMC being plastics. In other words, be prepared to spend an additional 500/- (minimum) per service call, in spite of the AMC.
Old 28th July 2010, 20:45   #1082
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
And things like the door, belt, etc. will not be covered by the AMC being plastics.
They picked up this ridiculous idea from the car insurers, eh?

Just like the bumper on my car (excepting accidents), I confidently expect the door of my washing machine to last the lifetime of the machine.

Depreciation blah blah rip off
Old 29th July 2010, 10:07   #1083
BHPian

My LG microwave had worked for seven years with just one complaint (with the control panel)three years ago, but last week it started behaving strangely. The controls, lights and turntable seem to be working fine, but no thawing/heating is taking place. It also makes a louder sound, as if I'd installed a free-flow exhaust (or maybe like a Standard Herald struggling uphill). I'll be calling in the service guy soon, but does anyone have any idea why the machine is misbehaving?
Old 30th July 2010, 17:09   #1084
BANNED

Which WM / Dryer?

I am now in the market for a washing machine, preferably for one with a dryer.

Sam Kapasi had posted of a model several pages back. He paid 38/40K for a 8/4 Kg washer / dryer capacity.

Looks like that model is no longer on LG site - they now have only 6/3KG and 9/5 kg

The prices are F1203CDP Rs. 44190 (6/3kg) and F-1403RDS29 Rs. 65490/- (9/5Kg).

I cannot find ANY other manufacturer offering washer / dryer combos in India. I see no point to going to a shop, the sales men are usually clueless and will push what is most lucrative for them.

Samsung has one model - WF8754CPG at Rs. 34,190/- (7.5kg). This model says 95% dry at 1/3 capacity in the user manual - but it is not advertised as a feature.

Compare with what is available here:-

Jackys Electronics

Prices are less that 2/3 of what is prevailing in India.

Are we yet to come out of the Industries' Development And Regulation Act era?
Old 30th July 2010, 17:44   #1085
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
I am now in the market for a washing machine, preferably for one with a dryer.

Sam Kapasi had posted of a model several pages back. He paid 38/40K for a 8/4 Kg washer / dryer capacity.

Looks like that model is no longer on LG site - they now have only 6/3KG and 9/5 kg

The prices are F1203CDP Rs. 44190 (6/3kg) and F-1403RDS29 Rs. 65490/- (9/5Kg).

I cannot find ANY other manufacturer offering washer / dryer combos in India. I see no point to going to a shop, the sales men are usually clueless and will push what is most lucrative for them.

Samsung has one model - WF8754CPG at Rs. 34,190/- (7.5kg). This model says 95% dry at 1/3 capacity in the user manual - but it is not advertised as a feature.

Compare with what is available here:-

Jackys Electronics

Prices are less that 2/3 of what is prevailing in India.

Are we yet to come out of the Industries' Development And Regulation Act era?
The 8/4 KG Washer Dryer combo I saw here in Bangalore (at multiple showrooms) Cost was something like 48k. You can try at the LG shorooms in Kochi. Probably they'll also have it in stock.

Thanks to many people here I have also finalised on the WM for myself. It is gonna be LG machine with Directdrive. I am still deliberating between 6KG model and 8KG model.
Old 30th July 2010, 18:22   #1086
BANNED

I have mentioned any 8/4 KG model. Looks like you are looking at a discontinued model. Can you post the model number?
Old 2nd August 2010, 08:23   #1087
Senior - BHPian

We're now plunging into a WM & we're little confused to settle on LG or IFB. I feel both of them are reputed, however not sure who does servicing well. I'm biased towards IFB due to their reputation in market & have experienced LG's prompt service (with TV). If IFB could provide a great level of service, then I can settle with IFB. Appreciate if somebody (from Chennai) share your experience with efficiency on LG or IFB WMs service pls? We're looking to get one by this week. Tks.
Old 2nd August 2010, 10:19   #1088
BANNED

I suffered from poor service from IFB and then bought an LG front loader. Has been running for 9 years with at leat five loads a week. Just two hiccups, interlock switch failure, and bearing failure (we are in a very hard water area). Both attended to promptly and efficiently. Will never risk IFB again.
Old 2nd August 2010, 11:21   #1089
Senior - BHPian

I need a suggestion for a stabiliser. I have a Panasonic plasma 50U20, a Denon 1910 AVR, a Playstation 3 and an Airtel HD set-top box. The Plasma consumes approx 320 watts, the AVR consumes 430 watts and the PS3 consumes approx 75 watts of power. I want a stabilizer which can take the load of all the above appliances. A couple of electrical shops where I enquired, suggested that a 1kva stabilizer would suffice for the above.

Is this enough? What is the kind of budget that I would need to invest for a good stabilizer? Can someone recommend any good brand with it's price (if available).
Old 2nd August 2010, 11:28   #1090
Senior - BHPian

Yes LG has one of the best service in India. When i had issue for my AC and refrigerator , After i register complaint the service person was already in home within 2-3 hours after my complaint. And this is not one time, i got the same kind of service all 4 times i contacted them.
Old 2nd August 2010, 11:57   #1091
BHPian

What the shopkeeper said is true. You will need a 1 KV stabilizer. It will cost around 3500 to 5000, depending on brand and the tranformer used. But before buying, check the voltage in your area. If you have low voltage, then you will require wide voltage range.

Do you have real big voltage fluctuation in your area. Small fluctuations are taken care of by the gadgets themselves.

V-Guard is a good brand. They have a digital stabilizer specifically for plasma and LCD TVs. Check if it is available near you.

Last edited by Chipz : 2nd August 2010 at 12:12.
Old 2nd August 2010, 12:21   #1092
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipz View Post
What the shopkeeper said is true. You will need a 1 KV stabilizer. It will cost around 3500 to 5000, depending on brand and the tranformer used. But before buying, check the voltage in your area. If you have low voltage, then you will require wide voltage range. Do you have real big voltage fluctuation in your area. Small fluctuations are taken care of by the gadgets themselves. V-Guard is a good brand. They have a digital stabilizer specifically for plasma and LCD TVs. Check if it is available near you.
Actually, we just moved to a new house and I am not yet aware of the level of voltage fluctuations in that area. Actually, the shops did show me both the digital & analog stabilizers (V guard) and said either of them can be used. What is the difference between the digital and analog stabilizers? Is it advantageous if I go for a digital stab?
Old 2nd August 2010, 12:45   #1093
BHPian

Well in a digital stabilizer the voltage and other parameters are sensed by a microprocessor, and they claim it makes the "changeover pretty fast", unlike conventional type. But then your tv and ps3 has it own smps inbuilt, so it wont have much effect here. The digital one is more costly than the other. A conventional one will get the job done. I would prefer the digital one. It is your choice.

It is VERY important to check the input voltage range. Stabilizer usually work in the 165 to 250 V range. If your line voltage is less than 145 it will simply shut down. In that case you will need a Wide voltage range. Check with neighbors about any voltage problems in your area and then proceed.
Old 2nd August 2010, 12:47   #1094
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot Chipz, I'll check it out
Old 3rd August 2010, 00:10   #1095
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
We're now plunging into a WM & we're little confused to settle on LG or IFB. I feel both of them are reputed, however not sure who does servicing well. I'm biased towards IFB due to their reputation in market & have experienced LG's prompt service (with TV). If IFB could provide a great level of service, then I can settle with IFB. Appreciate if somebody (from Chennai) share your experience with efficiency on LG or IFB WMs service pls? We're looking to get one by this week. Tks.
Errr... what reputation? The only reputation that IFB seems to have currently, is a pretty BAD one (at least for its WMs). I guess you haven't been thru earlier posts and other sites on the web.

I still don't know why people emphasize on service. For me good product is one that does *not* require service for a very long time. Goes without saying that I am not saying that it hurts to have good service in place too. But if I am given to choose the product of a company who has a high quality product with poor service and a product that is of lower quality with better level of service, I would choose the former without hesitation.

That said, after much deliberation, decided to settle for LG MC-7148MS microwave (with grill & convection, 21 litres). LG service guy came for demo even though it was Sunday. So far so good...

Was seriously considering Onida, as the price difference is substantial. However, it had jog wheels and buttons as against LG's flat touch panel (which I very much prefer). However, the Onida looked striking, with its blackish mirror finish and smaller footprint (imp. if space is an issue). LG looks quite ordinary, relatively.The shopkeeper told me consider not buying the LG as its touch panel could prove to be complicated if the oven is to be operated by older people. Lol! And true to his words, my parents gave me quite an earful regarding how my choices always make their lives more complicated... :(

It seems the oven is made in India (or at least assembled, or whatever) whereas Onida sources them from Chinese company/companies.

The black Samsung also looks really good, and its supposed to have a ceramic enamel interior, which is also supposed to make it bit more efficient. Looks really good and overall, v good finish. Unfortunately, the min. size was 28 litres, so decided against it.

Last edited by Raccoon : 3rd August 2010 at 00:13.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks