Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2021, 18:28   #9031
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
May be late '18. Not sure how will it help.
Just a theory of mine I wanted to check. LG used to be my favourite brand earlier. At my parents home, earlier generation LGs lasted for years without problems. Even my home, the ones I bought earlier were very good.

But more recently, my experience has been bad

- LG TV bought in 2016 (I think) - way too many problems - it's still managing, but I have decided that the next time there is even a problem, I will replace the TV rather than getting it repaired.

- LG Washing Machine bought in 2018 - Junked it last year & bought a different machine of a different brand.

I have never had any problems with LG Service though.
carboy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 19:02   #9032
BHPian

Well just sharing a different perspective I had an LG plasma TV in 2011 and since there was one stuck pixel they changed the panel in 2011 (took around 20 days, gave a replacement TV).

Further got an LG microwave in 2009 which is still going strong. Had changed one magnetron during the amc period and the magnetron failed again within the 6 months window and we had forgotten about it but the technician asked for some payment proof and did the next one free of charge.

For the plasma TV in around 2017 the tv would immediately go into stand-by when switched on. Called up the LG service who promptly responded and opined that the panel had gone though I suggested to chk the power supply first. Well since i knew that LG have a policy of providing a buyback at 50% if they are unable to provide spares within a period of 7 years from purchase so i asked him to replace the panel which within 2 days he informed that it is not available and he would bring his senior for examining the power supply. Lo and behold the power supply was faulty and the TV is running fine till date.

I am in gurgaon and have always been attended promptly by LG service.
Luke1972 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 20:23   #9033
BHPian

I would consider a brand or a particular model of a brand a failure, but not the entire product range. After all, companies like LG, Panasonic, Bosch etc. are built on the quality of their products and acceptance by customers.
Yes, the after sale service provided differs and matters the most. IMO, the HQ of these multi national companies may not be aware of poor service provided to the customers which is in the domain of local representative offices.
I remember a close relative of mine had number of Seiko5 Automatic Mechanical Wrist Watches going kaput, though they were prized possessions of many.
Old 11th October 2021, 21:45   #9034
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrik Singh View Post
I would consider a brand or a particular model of a brand a failure, but not the entire product range.

IMO, the HQ of these multi national companies may not be aware of poor service provided to the customers which is in the domain of local representative offices.
I have tweeted to LG India separately and provided the details. Hope they do something about the overall response timelines.

Not giving up on the brand, here. We got a LG microwave a few months back, and this is working fine. Btw, we picked up a LG UHD TV a few days back. I am told separately (not by the showroom guys) that LG manufactures the panels for Sony too.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 23:20   #9035
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I am told separately (not by the showroom guys) that LG manufactures the panels for Sony too.
Yes you are correct both LG and Sony use the OLED panels manufactured by LG Display. Though each has optimised its processor which differentiates the picture quality. Sony does not have panel manufacturing they use panels manufactured by others and use their and optimising engine in their TV sets.
Old 12th October 2021, 12:06   #9036
BHPian

Folks, looking for senior contacts at Toshiba India. I recently purchased a Toshiba refrigerator and from day 1 it has had major condensation issues. The service team has visited 6-7 times and tried many solutions to fix the outlet and the issue. There were streams of water flowing earlier, it’s improved a bit but there is still heavy condensation below the trays that falls on food items and spoils them.

Need to escalate this and find a solution / Replacement or a refund. Any help here would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 16:38   #9037
BHPian

There is a Fan inside Refrigerator which operates when Door is closed to circulate air within compartments. It stops the moment door is opened to prevent cold air from being blown away. Its operation can be checked by pressing the small button which gets pressed with closure of door. Probably this one is not functioning properly. It could be one reason of over condensation
Amrik Singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 12:05   #9038
Senior - BHPian

^^ As far as I have observed, in convection type normal fridges, no power is consumed when the compressor cuts off, and till it comes on again. But in frost free models something is always running inside. If it is not the compressor, then two fans will be running. If both compressor and fans are not running, a heating coil may be on for defrosting the fridge. There are more parts, more things to go wrong.

After using two bigger FF models one after the other, I went back to keeping two smaller conventional fridges instead of one large frost free model. Even if one wants to continue using frost free, it will be better to have one smaller conventional type fridge at home as a standby. They are very hardy and fail very very rarely. It is not possible to spend even one day without a fridge during hot climates. Every stuff will go bad very quickly.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 17:38   #9039
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
But in frost free models something is always running inside. If it is not the compressor, then two fans will be running. If both compressor and fans are not running, a heating coil may be on for defrosting the fridge. There are more parts, more things to go wrong.

My old Liebherr fridge did none of that. It was kept frost free by the warmth from the heat exchanger on the back. Must have been a very clever and precise balancing act, as it was a superb fridge! I mourn its loss. It stands, as a memorial to itself, being used as a cupboard!
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 09:58   #9040
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
^^ As far as I have observed, in convection type normal fridges, no power is consumed when the compressor cuts off, and till it comes on again. But in frost free models something is always running inside. If it is not the compressor, then two fans will be running. If both compressor and fans are not running, a heating coil may be on for defrosting the fridge. There are more parts, more things to go wrong.

After using two bigger FF models one after the other, I went back to keeping two smaller conventional fridges instead of one large frost free model. Even if one wants to continue using frost free, it will be better to have one smaller conventional type fridge at home as a standby. They are very hardy and fail very very rarely. It is not possible to spend even one day without a fridge during hot climates. Every stuff will go bad very quickly.
In my opinion if you have the space for it, always use two refrigerators instead one one large one. Apart from redundancy in case one malfunctions, the second one can be used for longer term storage and will stay colder (if you open it once a day or less).

Frost free refrigerators (also called direct cool) are more efficient, but accumulate ice. That is not a bad thing as the ice will act as a thermal reservoir in case of prolonged power cut - a reality that we have to live with.

One thing that I fondly remember is a monthly defrosting/cleaning of the refrigerator. Sadly with hectic life an no ice accumulation the refrigerators get cleaned at long intervals if at all. Cleaning helped get rid of all those items that tend to clog up the space - stored and forgotten.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 15:08   #9041
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag_nfs View Post
Folks, looking for senior contacts at Toshiba India. I recently purchased a Toshiba refrigerator and from day 1 it has had major condensation issues..
I am guessing that this fridge is the "new" inverter type. Now a days almost everything runs on this tech. There are BLDC fans, ACs, Cars (Tesla ) and what not . It basically means that DC is winning the war of currents against AC. Man, what a comeback.

As regards the issue at hand, it might be a faulty thermostat.
Old 14th October 2021, 17:24   #9042
Distinguished - BHPian

I, for one, welcome our new Inverter overlords...

But seriously, I do. I love this technology. I want an inverter microwave oven. Amazon had one listed from Panasonic a while back, but it was never available. And I think the one I had in GB, a decade or three ago was an invertor, because, when set to a lower power, it did not do this stop/start normal-power thing.

Yes, I guess it is new to India, which is often used as the excuse for failures.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 14th October 2021 at 17:26.
Old 14th October 2021, 17:43   #9043
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Apart from redundancy in case one malfunctions, the second one can be used for longer term storage and will stay colder (if you open it once a day or less).
That is how we use the fridges in my home, one of them will contain only certain things and will be opened less often, hardly a couple of times a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
One thing that I fondly remember is a monthly defrosting/cleaning of the refrigerator.
That must have been long back. None of the conventional type fridges that came in the last decade and a half requires this cleaning. Sure they need to be defrosted twice a week, but it is just a question of pressing a button situated outside the fridge while retiring for the night. The melted water collects in a plastic tray situated over the compressor, and gradually evaporates by it's heat. If we notice stagnant water in the tray though, we have to pull out and empty it to prevent proliferation of mosquitos.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2021, 11:38   #9044
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That must have been long back. None of the conventional type fridges that came in the last decade and a half requires this cleaning. Sure they need to be defrosted twice a week, but it is just a question of pressing a button situated outside the fridge while retiring for the night. The melted water collects in a plastic tray situated over the compressor, and gradually evaporates by it's heat. If we notice stagnant water in the tray though, we have to pull out and empty it to prevent proliferation of mosquitos.
Actually such refrigerators are still manufactured and sold. They are called "Direct Cool". As in past the expansion coil is wound around the freezer, just that now a days it is super thin walled coil.

https://www.samsung.com/in/support/h...-refrigerator/

https://energyconversiondevices.com/...-refrigerator/
Old 21st October 2021, 10:23   #9045
Team-BHP Support

Every now and then, I'm observing muck collecting in our LG top load washing machine. This sticks to the clothes and often, spreads out. Anyone face something similar? The incoming water is clean, the water and lint filter are cleaned very regularly, and the clothes put in for washing aren't dirty as such; they don't have exposure to dust/dirt. We use Surf Excelmatic, could this be something to do with the powder? I clean the drum with white vinegar once every two-three months.

The Home Appliance thread-img_6796.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks