Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2021, 00:40   #9001
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

If it is grease or oil residue, best removal is by Caustic Soda. Care has to be taken as it reacts with Cloth and human flesh.
Old 6th October 2021, 09:23   #9002
Distinguished - BHPian

3 years, and 4th problem with our LG 512 litre fridge.

a few months back it was the heating coil. Now its the evaporator coil which has gone bust, and the gas has leaked. Another 4k bill. (1200 - coil, 2200 - gas, + service charges of 769).

Old 6th October 2021, 11:06   #9003
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
3 years, and 4th problem with our LG 512 litre fridge.

a few months back it was the heating coil. Now its the evaporator coil which has gone bust, and the gas has leaked. Another 4k bill. (1200 - coil, 2200 - gas, + service charges of 769).

Gas leaking is very strange. Normally the sealed system works flawlessly for decades. What I can deduce is that either the evaporator coil has been damaged while cleaning (happened to me twice) or there is a manufacturing defect.

By the way, when my son shifted back to Delhi from Mumbai last year his refrigerator had a similar gas leak problem. The LG engineer said that some parts of Mumbai (as well as Delhi - Parpargang etc) have corrosive atmosphere due to ammonia released from drains and all refrigeration products just corrode in a few years.
Old 6th October 2021, 11:37   #9004
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
The LG engineer said that some parts of Mumbai (as well as Delhi - Parpargang etc) have corrosive atmosphere due to ammonia released from drains and all refrigeration products just corrode in a few years.
This is very true. My brother-in-law lives in Shakti Nagar (North Delhi) and has to get his AC's repaired and refilled every couple of years.
Old 6th October 2021, 12:29   #9005
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
What I can deduce is that either the evaporator coil has been damaged while cleaning (happened to me twice) or there is a manufacturing defect..
Definitely Not cleaning. And not a manufacturing defect. Failure after 3 years indicates quality of parts.
Old 7th October 2021, 09:38   #9006
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
She says she would have gone for regular steel pan even if the price was the same.
I bought the Mealthy Multipot (steel) during the latest Amazon sale at approximately 4000 rupees less than the usual price. Now, I act like I help my wife, cooking one meal a day.
Old 9th October 2021, 17:49   #9007
BHPian

Friends,
I need to buy a new washing machine. We always have had top loading ones. We have our own house with a big enough balcony and won't be moving( hopefully).
Going through the thread, I have understood that it's better to buy front loading separate washer and dryer. They clean better, have higher capacity, cost almost the same and are better if you have a permanent setup.

Need your help on
1 Recommended models/ brands
2 Convincing my wife to get this combo- I have failed so far with the above arguments. Her biggest concerns are:
a. Bending down to take out clothes from front loaders
b. Have to shift heavy washed/wet clothes from washer to drier everytime, unlike top loaders where you just put clothes in, go to sleep and then hang them in the morning to dry.

Thanks in advance
Old 9th October 2021, 19:51   #9008
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramvicky1984 View Post
Friends,

Need your help on
2 Convincing my wife to get this combo- I have failed so far with the above arguments. Her biggest concerns are:
b. Have to shift heavy washed/wet clothes from washer to drier everytime, unlike top loaders where you just put clothes in, go to sleep and then hang them in the morning to dry.

Thanks in advance
Replying to above
1. You may have to go through the thread and read about various makes / models and pros / cons.
2. Mission Impossible
2a. You may construct a slightly raised platform and position the W/M but ensure that it does not skid or topple down.
2b. You can have a fancy large bucket on Castor wheels or something like a baby stroller for the purpose.

Hope it may be useful
Amrik Singh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 19:59   #9009
BHPian

Quote:

Need your help on
I've Bosch front loading washing machine at home, using it for over a year now. No issues so far, minimum noise and cleans clothes well. I use de-scaling powder every two months to keep the machine clear of haed water scales. What we do is sit on a small plastic stool (ones you use in bathrooms) to load unload clothes. When heavy items (blankets and stuff) need to be taken out, we put them in a bucket and the bucket is then put on a plastic trolley made for LPG cylinders We haven't had the need for a dryer though so I can't comment on that bit of your query.
Akshay6988 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 20:17   #9010
BANNED

Quote:
Going through the thread, I have understood that it's better to buy front loading separate washer and dryer.
The top-loading/front-loading choice & the dryer choice are 2 different things. Why can't you have a front-loading washer without a dryer just like you had a top-loader & no dryer?

About the top-loading/front-loading choice, I am not sure if it's clear choice. I have used both front-loaders & top-loaders (always both with separate dryer). And I prefer top-loaders.

Top-Loaders are more popular in the US. Front-Loaders seem to be more popular in Europe.

For a family, I doubt if the difference in electrical efficiency between a top & front loader would be significant enough for it to be relevant to your choice.

As far as brands go, I would avoid an LG model if your washer is going to be placed in some area where some water can splash on the machine. The current LG models can't handle much water (except inside the washer).

Quote:
unlike top loaders where you just put clothes in, go to sleep and then hang them in the morning to dry.
Why can't you do the same with a front-loader?

Last edited by carboy : 9th October 2021 at 20:20.
carboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 00:48   #9011
One
BHPian

Quote:
Need your help on

Thanks in advance
1. A friend uses Bosch with dryer mounted over the washer so atleast one is at eye level requiring no bending. Also they use a stool to sit on for the washer. I personally though would prefer both on same level so that removing clothes from washer and putting clothes in dryer can be done in one motion. Am not sure if I'm India you get ability to mount washer as well on the wall but one can sit in a stool if both are side by side on the floor/ raised platform on floor.

2. Am completely with your wife on all the practical issues she has highlighted. Whoever is the one responsible for cleaning/ drying the clothes on a daily basis should decide this. There is one argument in your favour for washer-dryer though: the action of hanging clothes takes more time and energy than moving clothes into a dryer + no issues in rains (there is a good counter argument to this too though but you can hear it directly from your wife ) Also, you can always consider a dryer with a top loader machine, they are not exclusive.

Incidentally, washer-dryer may be better or may not be (dryers are not necessarily as good for fabric as simple air drying) so I would not necessarily think a combo to be a clear cut superior solution.

Last edited by One : 10th October 2021 at 00:51.
One is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 12:04   #9012
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Friends,
I need to buy a new washing machine. We always have had top loading ones. We have our own house with a big enough balcony and won't be moving( hopefully).
Going through the thread, I have understood that it's better to buy front loading separate washer and dryer. They clean better, have higher capacity, cost almost the same and are better if you have a permanent setup.

Need your help on

Thanks in advance
If you have the space, buy Washing Machine and Dryer as separate units. The reason is that in machines with both the features, the drying capacity is half that of washing. No idea what happens to the rest when you dry half the clothes

For make and models

1. Find out who has the best after sales service in your area
2. Regarding capacity 6kg - 8kg is good enough for a family. Larger capacity is of use only if you have large loads of clothes that require same washing cycle - temperature, spin etc.
3. A front loading machine is more efficient and in most cases washer better.
4. We had a Summet and them IFB. Both had the same technology but required constant maintenance. Now we are on our second LG front load. The reason for LG is that they have excellent after sales service in Delhi. Plus their extended warranty is worth the extra cost due to peace of mind.
5. Get a machine that has hot cycle upto 90 degrees. Excellent for washing linen and dirty towels and bed sheets and curtains.

Regarding bending down and moving clothes from WM to dryer
1. The front load machines are not so low. I regularly take clothes out and do not bend much. What I do is to take a piece and immediately hang it on a hanger - one step less compared to WM -> Bucket -> Clothes line.

2. Most of the time the clothes are quite dry after spin cycle, half an hour in the sun does the trick. Of course you appreciate the dryer during monsoons and winters.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 22:01   #9013
Senior - BHPian

Hello, our two decades old Sumeet mixer grinder is at end of life. I intend to buy a new one in the Amazon/Flipkart festive sale. My inclination is to go for the same brand again, but friends tell me it is not the same old Sumeet anymore and go for other brands. Any suggestions for an alternative brand? I am looking at Prestige/Butterfly/Preethi/Havells. My budget is 3.5k max for this product. And how good is the Amazon basics brand? Anyone bought any such product?
Old 10th October 2021, 22:12   #9014
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Hello, our two decades old Sumeet mixer grinder is at end of life. I intend to buy a new one in the Amazon/Flipkart festive sale. My inclination is to go for the same brand again, but friends tell me it is not the same old Sumeet anymore and go for other brands. Any suggestions for an alternative brand? I am looking at Prestige/Butterfly/Preethi/Havells. My budget is 3.5k max for this product. And how good is the Amazon basics brand? Anyone bought any such product?

Preethi is a decent brand. I have one for 5 years. No problems yet.

I don't know about this particular Amazon Basics product, but in general I am not a big fan of their products. My Solimo (an Amazon brand) wall clock conked off inside the warranty period - they don't even have a servicing facility, so they just give you a refund if it conks off in the warranty period.The Amazon Basics Alkaline Batteries lasted me less than 1/3rd of what a Duracell lasts usually.
carboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 22:23   #9015
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Hello, our two decades old Sumeet mixer grinder is at end of life. Any suggestions for an alternative brand?
This time consider Elgi Ultra/Ultra brand mixer grinder. It will be good as your old sumeet
tikku.dk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks