Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2017, 12:39   #6331
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Anoop - where did you buy the aluminium duct pipe from ? Can you share the contact information ?
*Online prices are around Rs.850 to Rs.1200 for 1 metre of 4" aluminium duct pipe, so even at Rs.100 per ft it will be a third of those prices
If you need only small length, check any local shops which sells chimney - Recently I was in market for a small length of pipe to fix a tear in my ducting and I got it from a Faber shop. The local shops\installers will usually have cut pieces but they may charge slightly extra.

If you need one full length (5 mtr, I think) any brand will sell you readily - I have got quotes from local Elica and Faber shops, but since I needed only 1 or 2 meter, went with a cut piece from Faber by paying a bit extra.

--Anoop

Last edited by theexperthand : 7th May 2017 at 12:42.
Old 11th May 2017, 19:25   #6332
BHPian

Folks, We are looking to replace our 5 year old Bajaj food processor, which is showing it's age. Primary requirement is general grinding and some chopping.
Some research brought me to Ultra Elgi Vario+ chopper. Any reviews? Also any other comparable products from Philips and Preethi, etc?
Thanks
Old 13th May 2017, 02:50   #6333
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Question about the Godrej & Europa locks which have dimpled keys.
I want to get an extra duplicate key made for these. Do regular keymakers make these? If not, do the manufacturers sell duplicate keys? How much does it cost?
Old 13th May 2017, 08:49   #6334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I want to get an extra duplicate key made for these. Do regular keymakers make these? If not, do the manufacturers sell duplicate keys? How much does it cost?
Regular key makers can make a copy. It needs a small machine and most key makers do have this machine. The guess price would be under Rs200/- per key. Not sure, as I never had to get one made.

-Ilango
Old 13th May 2017, 10:53   #6335
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I want to get an extra duplicate key made for these. Do regular keymakers make these?
Yes they do. I've got it done from a roadside key shop for a key which had dimples in various depths.
Old 13th May 2017, 16:39   #6336
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Regular key makers can make a copy. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
... I've got it done from a roadside key shop for a key which had dimples in various depths.
Ha Ha, I guess it's a cheap copy of a key/lock type which, in other parts of the world, is much more secure.

Some of that stuff needs software to copy. Some of it has tumblers within tumblers, highs within hollows. But is it unpickable? Haha, just see youtube!
Old 9th June 2017, 10:14   #6337
Senior - BHPian

One of my friend is in the need for installing new geysers. Given that the water is hard water what are the brands that she can look into? She is looking for 25l capacity and needs 2 of them. How is this one from AO smith? Also I had seen few ads mention about wifi enabled geysers? Are they really useful?

Last edited by TorqueyTechie : 9th June 2017 at 10:16.
Old 9th June 2017, 14:32   #6338
Distinguished - BHPian

When I was building our kitchen I made the stupid mistake of thinking that my German fridge was immortal. In reality, it was (I didn't realise) made for a temperate climate, never worked properly/economically here in Chennai, and very mortal indeed.

I need a fridge with a proper deep freeze (freeze and keep food for weeks). I had been looking at the Samsung double-door fridges, but the smallest would require taking a chain saw to the cabinet work above it. It looks to me as if the Whirlpool 245-litre models are about the smallest double-door that I can get. This I can accommodate by removing a section of one-brick-hight platform that runs under all our wooden cabinets and the existing fridge space, and just taking some trim off the upper cabinets.

As far as I am aware, Whirlpool is as reliable as any other. Any comments? Although, given the hight constriction, I don't seem to have much choice.

The fridge capacity will be fine. Currently we have a small, work-hight fridge. We weill have a lot more fridge space and more freezer space in a 245-litre model. My existing fridge was bout for a single guy with a tiny (about 7-foot square) kitchen, and even in UK, such single-door fridges with real freezers, not ice boxes, were rare. Perhaps unique to Liebher/Bosch/Siemens.
Old 11th June 2017, 12:11   #6339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
When I was building our kitchen I made the stupid mistake of thinking that my German fridge was immortal. In reality, it was (I didn't realise) made for a temperate climate, never worked properly/economically here in Chennai, and very mortal indeed.

I need a fridge with a proper deep freeze (freeze and keep food for weeks). I had been looking at the Samsung double-door fridges, but the smallest would require taking a chain saw to the cabinet work above it. It looks to me as if the Whirlpool 245-litre models are about the smallest double-door that I can get. This I can accommodate by removing a section of one-brick-hight platform that runs under all our wooden cabinets and the existing fridge space, and just taking some trim off the upper cabinets.

As far as I am aware, Whirlpool is as reliable as any other. Any comments? Although, given the hight constriction, I don't seem to have much choice.

The fridge capacity will be fine. Currently we have a small, work-hight fridge. We weill have a lot more fridge space and more freezer space in a 245-litre model. My existing fridge was bout for a single guy with a tiny (about 7-foot square) kitchen, and even in UK, such single-door fridges with real freezers, not ice boxes, were rare. Perhaps unique to Liebher/Bosch/Siemens.
We have two Whirlpool refrigerators - 410L and 250L. Both of them have had some problems initially, just after the warranty expired - some minor components like thermostat etc. Cost around 4K for both. What I learnt from the Whirlpool technician is that Whirlpool has pretty bad supply chain and most of the parts which fail after a long interval are just not available. So if you plan to keep a refrigerator for 10+ years, avoid Whirlpool. In our case we have not been able to source the Vegetable Tray. In contrast LG and Samsung have excellent service and spares inventory. Add to that both have now come up with Inverter Technology compressors with 10 years warrant, which is worth looking to.

Regarding freezers, all my friends who brought huge refrigerators (800+L) say that a dedicated freezer keeps temperature much better than a refrigerator. The best option if you want a dedicated deep freezer is to get one from a local manufacturer who supplies chest freezers to shops. These easily achieve -20 degrees or less and are robust enough to last for 15+ years. Here is what is available at Amazon
http://www.amazon.in/s/?ie=UTF8&keyw...sl_9kxlq6gh1_b
Old 11th June 2017, 14:38   #6340
BHPian

Bought IFB SC4 30 L over the weekend. Please PM me for any queries.
Old 11th June 2017, 15:56   #6341
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
We have two Whirlpool refrigerators - 410L and 250L. Both of them have had some problems initially, just after the warranty expired - some minor components like thermostat etc. Cost around 4K for both. What I learnt from the Whirlpool technician is that Whirlpool has pretty bad supply chain and most of the parts which fail after a long interval are just not available. So if you plan to keep a refrigerator for 10+ years, avoid Whirlpool. In our case we have not been able to source the Vegetable Tray. In contrast LG and Samsung have excellent service and spares inventory. Add to that both have now come up with Inverter Technology compressors with 10 years warrant, which is worth looking to.
Haha... read this just after the guy finished installation

So, for better or for worse, we have a Whirlpool 292 litre, and, having seen the 245 litre ones I thought them just too small, so I'm living with the hight problem. It is in a temporary place where it slightly obstructs the kitchen sink, until I can get a trustworthy carpenter.

For the freezer, the thing is that I don't want a big one. We have cooking sessions and one cook generally makes 3-5 meals, so at any one time I have maybe three or six single-portion boxes in the freezer. When my wife went grandmothering for three weeks, we filled it up, but that is rare. My current fridge has a proper freezer with a proper door, just it is the same size as, and inside, the table-top-hight unit. It took me along time to find such a thing in London, and when I did, I couldn't afford it. I think it was in the shop for nearly a year and eventually got 40% discount as it did have some marks by then. And no, I didn't kick it when no-one was looking . But I swooped as soon as it was discounted.

We bought from Reliance, and it was not a great experience. It worked out ok in the end, but I wouldn't recommend. It just happened to be our nearest big electrical store.

First thing was, after considerable comparison time, my choice was out of stock.

My wife thought of... "Why don't you check the stock of everything we looked at."

Oh, they are all out of stock. Wait, there is one of the one you want, at the warehouse, but, at this time of day we cannot guarantee you get it even if you buy it. And you can't have your money back if someone else gets it (Duh... is that any sort of honesty?). And why the hell don't they have a real-time POS/stock system? This is some sort of technology company, right? Not so right.

Anyway, my wife went back yesterday morning and did the deal, confirmed it will be ours, and it was delivered today.

For better or for worse, we have the Whirlpool. 27K: I could have saved a couple of thousand with Amazon, but, wantitnow.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 11th June 2017 at 15:58.
Old 15th June 2017, 14:02   #6342
BHPian

Planning to buy the dishwasher by BOSCH (Model: SMS60L18IN) in the coming month. Have bought Bosch WM through amazon, so plan to buy through amazon. Anyone using this model of dishwasher and any feedback?
Old 16th June 2017, 18:52   #6343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_devakumar View Post
Planning to buy the dishwasher by BOSCH (Model: SMS60L18IN) in the coming month. Have bought Bosch WM through amazon, so plan to buy through amazon. Anyone using this model of dishwasher and any feedback?
I bought the Bosch dishwasher SMS60L18IN in Sep-2016.

This is my first dishwasher that I am buying/using in my life and after getting used to it, now wondering how I ever lived without it!
I am a highly satisfied customer.

One advantage of Bosch DW is that after the power-cut it continues the program unlike some other brands. And power-cuts are many times a day where I live!

Last edited by manim : 16th June 2017 at 18:54.
Old 20th June 2017, 16:04   #6344
BHPian

I need to buy a washing machine as my current one seems to be on its last legs. My current one is a top loading machine and I am looking for a fully automatic front loading machine. What should be the things i should be looking for in the washing machine and what are the brands recommended in terms of quality as well as service
Old 20th June 2017, 16:41   #6345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A View Post
I need to buy a washing machine as my current one seems to be on its last legs. My current one is a top loading machine and I am looking for a fully automatic front loading machine. What should be the things i should be looking for in the washing machine and what are the brands recommended in terms of quality as well as service
LG/BOSCH is to look for. I have a LG frontloader and is a very satisfied customer since last 6 years. The water pressure in my house is low . We run the machine 365 days, sometimes even twice in a day. The LG machine works without any problem in this situation. There are some 6KG Bosch model going for around 20K IN Amazon. You can check.

Most Viewed