Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2018, 08:07   #6781
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Thank you, guys. What about powder coated stoves.

https://www.amazon.in/Sun-Flash-Burn...dp/B06XTD5ZTC/

Are these safe?

Don't skimp on something that you will use for years to come, I would suggest a stainless steel stove with good ratings AND good service. Our Gilma 3 burner with piezoelectric auto-ignition has been working flawlessly for over 10 years; especially the auto-ignition (which I had assumed would fail in a year or so).

You need to consider the likelihood of the maid(s) not being too careful with the finish, etc.

The link you provided shows a gas stove with no ratings, so you'd be the scapegoat for other customers! Be a true desi, stick with the herd!
Old 25th July 2018, 08:41   #6782
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Don't skimp on something that you will use for years to come, I would suggest a stainless steel stove with good ratings AND good service. Our Gilma 3 burner with piezoelectric auto-ignition has been working flawlessly for over 10 years; especially the auto-ignition (which I had assumed would fail in a year or so).

My current stove is a Pigeon 3 burner with autoignition bought in 2005. It worked well for 10 years. Then repaired it once. Now 2 out of 3 burners aren't working. Pigeon & Gilma are from the same company. I had paid around 2700 for that stove back then.

I wanted a black stove - so that's why I am looking at these options but will probably end up with a regular stainless steel one.
Old 25th July 2018, 08:53   #6783
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you, guys. What about powder coated stoves.

https://www.amazon.in/Sun-Flash-Burn...dp/B06XTD5ZTC/

Are these safe?
Since the brand is unknown, I suggest to go with either stainless steel or black glass top in well known brands.
I used to have a Glen stainless steel 3 burner gas stove. Worked fine for 8 years, before I replaced it with a Prestige 4 burner Black glass top. (this is black powder coated).

https://www.amazon.in/Prestige-Marve...rner+gas+stove

It looks classy and is easy to clean too. Have been using it for two years and its going fine. And no need to warn the maid about using abrasive liquids for cleaning, since it is powder coated anyway.
Old 25th July 2018, 08:56   #6784
BHPian

Quote:
My current stove is a Pigeon 3 burner with autoignition bought in 2005. It worked well for 10 years. Then repaired it once. Now 2 out of 3 burners aren't working. Pigeon & Gilma are from the same company. I had paid around 2700 for that stove back then.

I wanted a black stove - so that's why I am looking at these options but will probably end up with a regular stainless steel one.

You could try a granite top. I don't think StoveKraft sells any with a granite top. There are some unknown brands but I'm not sure I'd recommend those. It will have to be a DIY. I have been considering a glass top too, but the practical aspects dissuade me.

Does the "Shott" glass also suffer from the "bursting" problem?
Old 25th July 2018, 09:21   #6785
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
https://www.amazon.in/Prestige-Marve...rner+gas+stove

It looks classy and is easy to clean too. Have been using it for two years and its going fine. And no need to warn the maid about using abrasive liquids for cleaning, since it is powder coated anyway.

This is glass top. Check comments above - glass top can crack/burst.

Plus, I need auto-ignition.
Old 25th July 2018, 09:45   #6786
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Check out Vidiem brand. They offer black glass top stoves with toughened glass backed with a aluminium heat shield reinforcement to prevent craking.

We are using one since a few months and it is much better than the likes of pigeon and gilma. Build quality is top notch and the flame is excellent too.

We purchased the normal ignition model and are very happy with it.

Also you can check out Elica. Bit expensive but one of the best quality stoves that i have used.

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 25th July 2018 at 09:46.
Old 25th July 2018, 10:33   #6787
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Burners normally last a lifetime. What goes wrong is that over time food and liquids get deposited inside and on jets. It is fairly easy to clean the burners. I do it every six months with our 20 year old BPL gas range.

In case you cannot/do not want to do the cleaning, there are quite a lot of people doing it. Just talk to a couple of gas agencies and they will help you out.

If you want to try yourself then this is how
. Disconnect the gas from the stove.
. If there is a catch tray, then take it out. It may be press fit or with a few screws.
. Normally the burners lift off the seat. Some are held with crews. Take it off.
. Now search for the gas jet. It will either be at the bottom - top facing or on one side - side facing.
. Clean the jet body and adjoining areas with a tooth brush. If there is a lot of deposit, patiently scrape it with the tooth brush back or with a wooden spoon (ice cream stick would do).
. Once the jet body is clean, clean the jet hole with a thin wire. An old fashioned "Stove Pin" is the best, but a strand or two of electrical wire will do the job. Just ensure the the wire goes into the hole for 5mm or more.
. Clean the burner body, inside and out with hot water and soap.
. Now assemble the burner and the drip tray (if any).
. Connect the gas supply.

The burners should now function. These are diagnostics for a mal functioning burner :-
. If the burner emits soot at high flame, then the jet has worn out and its hole is too big. Change it.
. If the flame stops at low position, then the burner hole is still constricted (not clean). Clean it again.
. If the flame stops at low setting and soot emits at high, then the gas knob is worn out.

Usually it is a dirty jet which creates problems, but at time due to corrosion the jet or the tap may be worn. In case of latter if you can get spare parts and change, fine, else get a new one (also if the cost of repair is high).
Old 25th July 2018, 10:38   #6788
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post

Does the "Shott" glass also suffer from the "bursting" problem?
Glass is glass. Unless it is reinforced with fibres it can always crack. There are instances where glass is made really tough - bullet proof or for flooring of tourist spots, but a stove will rarely have that quality glass. It is normally toughened, but any combination or heat, sharp edge or heavy object landing with a bang can crack it.
Old 25th July 2018, 11:56   #6789
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys,

Looking out to buy an air purifier for home. After a quick search, I found that Sharp is highly recommended. Can someone suggest on it's performance? If so,

1) Please suggest the model (a link would be great).
2) Should be ozone free.

A quick reply would be great. Planning to buy one asap.
Old 28th July 2018, 13:17   #6790
BANNED

Anyone has any experience with a brand called Sunshine for gas stoves. Planning to buy this - https://www.amazon.in/Sunshine-Stain...dp/B01MDKK39M/

I am looking for a stainless steel 3 burner auto ignition stove and my choices don't seem to be much. This is the only brand I found. Gilma has a model but it seems to be out of stock in amazon and other online places.

Also, I assume these can be fixed to work with PNG, right?

Last edited by carboy : 28th July 2018 at 13:19.
Old 31st July 2018, 00:29   #6791
Distinguished - BHPian

Any feedback on the Samsung 415 litre RT42M553ES8/TL fridge ? Or any other in similar size range ?
Old 31st July 2018, 06:51   #6792
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Any feedback on the Samsung 415 litre RT42M553ES8/TL fridge ? Or any other in similar size range ?
I am using RS554NRUA9M Side by Side for about 16 months now. I purchased the wine color and am happy with the product. The wine color tends to show fingerprints which is something I didn't consider during purchase. Got it from Samsung plaza at the cheapest price. I had an issue within a month where the freezer temperature sensor had to be replaced as it wasn't cooling. Sensor was replaced in two days and all worked well since.
https://www.samsung.com/in/refrigera...e-rs554nrua9m/
Old 2nd August 2018, 09:20   #6793
BANNED

Thank you for the detailed instructions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
. Disconnect the gas from the stove.
I have PNG - there is a stop cock it reaches the stove - is it enough to turn it off there - or is it necessary to actually disconnect the rubber tube physically from the stove?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
. Now search for the gas jet. It will either be at the bottom - top facing or on one side - side facing.
If possible, next time you clean - can you post a photo of the gas jet?

Anyway, stainless steel, non-glass top gas stoves are very difficult to find in the local stores, but one stored ordered it for me.

This is the brand - http://www.sunblaze.in/

Had to buy it without seeing even a brochure but it seems OK - 3 burner auto ignition (piezo electric).

3700 Rs after exchange. Plus 300 Rs for converting LPG to PNG & also for reversing it so that the tube can be connected on the left rather than on the right.

Last edited by carboy : 2nd August 2018 at 09:21.
Old 2nd August 2018, 14:35   #6794
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I am using RS554NRUA9M Side by Side for about 16 months now. ..The wine color tends to show fingerprints which is something I didn't consider during purchase.
Thanks, @Diyguy. We booked a LG 471 lit monster.
Old 3rd August 2018, 18:00   #6795
Distinguished - BHPian

We are getting PNG in our locality soon. Wanted to know which brand of stove / hob's can support PNG ?

Basically, the jet needs to be enlarged. We were about to purchase a Faber hob, but the feedback on Amazon said that the company doesnt help / support on this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks