Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2009, 23:57   #16
Senior - BHPian

i take this kind of job. But you seems too down south.

We usually use Urmet Domus and Godrej.
Old 10th November 2009, 14:37   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
i take this kind of job. But you seems too down south.

We usually use Urmet Domus and Godrej.
Do these companies offer a security system based on RF links to the control panel ? Do they offer connectivity to a server ( not their servers but our own) ?

With Zicom, there is no manual. Sir Alec - It would be really helpful if you could point me in the right direction.
Old 10th November 2009, 16:23   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harindra View Post
Hi,
I have installed electronic security system at my residence. Bought it from Eureka Forbes. Costed me 8.5k. It opens front doors remotely after checking through a monitor which displays whoever is at the front door. Ihave three monitors at suitable locations sothat it can be operated from anyone of them. You can also speak to the person with the help of the intercom available at each monitor. The cost includes electrical wiring.

Hey is this all inc? i mean the monitors, intercom etc etc ?
Old 10th November 2009, 16:39   #19
Senior - BHPian

The Elkron WL31 has RS232 comm. You can download their manual from here:
http://www.elkron.com/EN/news/?news=17

I am also looking for a Wireless system, and has not finalized one yet. I contacted Zicom first and got a reply from them after nearly 2 months asking me to contact "any one of our resellers whose details are available in our site".

There's a lot of negative feedback about Eureka Forbes generally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
Hey is this all inc? i mean the monitors, intercom etc etc ?
You are looking at a post that is 2.5 years old buddy, but your question is still very relevant.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 10th November 2009 at 16:41.
Old 10th November 2009, 16:47   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post

You are looking at a post that is 2.5 years old buddy, but your question is still very relevant.

Oh, im sorry, did not notice that.
Does any one have any idea about the home security and the cost involved in it ?
Old 1st February 2010, 12:44   #21
Senior - BHPian

All gadget gurus,

where in Bangalore I can buy, PIR sensors which switch on the lights when it detects human presence! i tried searching around but did not get any :(
Old 1st February 2010, 12:53   #22
BHPian

I bought a PIR switch which can turn an outdoor light from Ebay. Costs about Rs.800/-

Installation was a pain as you have to position the sensor in such a way that the traffic in the road doesn't trigger the light. Besides the unit is not water proof so you have to fix them where the rain water will not enter the unit.

But it is working ok in the last 6 months since I installed the unit.
Old 27th July 2010, 23:50   #23
BHPian

I have almost decided to buy this PIR switch-
eBay India: PIR Ceiling Mount Sensor :Auto Power Saver Light Switch (item 330454266592 end time 29-Jul-2010 03:10:37 IST)

Although, I have a query, I am thinking of connecting a light in my parking area and a small hooter alarm above in my bedroom with 1 PIR switch. Can I connect them in parallel to this switch?
I shall even put in another switch for the Hooter which shall allow me to enable it only at night.
Or do you think only a light connected to it would be fine?

Last edited by abhipuru16 : 27th July 2010 at 23:51.
Old 28th July 2010, 13:50   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhipuru16 View Post
Although, I have a query, I am thinking of connecting a light in my parking area and a small hooter alarm above in my bedroom with 1 PIR switch. Can I connect them in parallel to this switch?
I shall even put in another switch for the Hooter which shall allow me to enable it only at night.
Or do you think only a light connected to it would be fine?
You can connect them in parallel - as long as they don't exceed the rated load capacity. But when you want to use the hooter with this PIR device, be prepared for many false alarms. Security applications require PIR sensors specifically designed for the role.
Old 9th November 2010, 10:55   #25
BHPian

Home security system - please advice

hi all,
I am constructing a house in Bangalore and am planning to install a security system.
At present, i have had a demo from one of the vendors - his is not a big brand, but he seems to have a pretty decent clientile and references.

WHat i need is an opinion from you all who have installed such systems and who may have experiences related to thefts, to tell me if I should go ahead with this system.

This system has a sensor for every door that opens outside. He also has a thin wire like thing that will be pasted on window grilles. If anyone tries to cut the grills, it would also cut the wire which triggers the alarm.
THis will be done for all windows and doors that can be potentially broken into. Additionally, when the alarm gets triggered, the system rings upto 5 predefined numbers to notify.
Now, this seems a good system, but the cost is around 16k + a little more for conduits etc.

Does this seem like a good system.

Now, i have not yet seen systems from Zycom who seems to be a pioneer in this field. But from what i heard they would be more expensive to cover the entire house (say 2 main doors + 6 to 8 windows). They have an IR based mechanism, but heard this can be triggerred easily by inmates themselves if they cross it, and is a better solution for commercial purposes (where there will be no people at night) than residential.

Any thoughts ?
Old 9th November 2010, 12:27   #26
Senior - BHPian

Excellent thread. We're also looking for info on home security as for most of the time we won't be in our house.

Looking forward to answers!
Old 9th November 2010, 12:56   #27
BHPian

I have the Zicom at home and it gives me a complete peace-of-mind. They do have IR sensors for windows as well (glass actually) along with Door, motion and Gas sensors. They also have a monitoring package, which will pre-dial programmed numbers incase of a break-in. But am told, this needs BSNL landlines to work properly.

There are two settings in the Zicom system - Home and Away mode. The only difference is that the Motion sensor gets deactivated in the Home mode. Its easy for any sensor to be tripped (door/ window opened), so I enable the system only when no-one's at home.

I have been using the system for almost 3 years and have had no issues, so far.

Back then the other choices were Godrej and Honeywell, but they were reluctant to even discuss about home security solutions.

Edit: The Zycom package costed about 9K, including 1 door sensor, 1 motion sensor, 1 gas sensor, 1 hooter, 1 processing unit and 3 remotes. Additional door sensors costed about Rs250 each.

Since the construction is in progress, ensure You choose a secure place for the hooter (outside) - away from easy reach, weather and placed well-enough to wake the neighbourhood.

Last edited by Rocky_Balboa : 9th November 2010 at 13:00.
Old 9th November 2010, 13:13   #28
BHPian

Thanks for your replies.
I will checkout Zycom and also post my findings here (latest prices etc.).
Old 23rd January 2012, 18:18   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang
Thanks for your replies.
I will checkout Zycom and also post my findings here (latest prices etc.).
Bumped into this old thread. I am looking for this info for my home. Can someone share latest information.
Old 23rd January 2012, 22:27   #30
Senior - BHPian

Re: Home Security Systems

Disclaimer! This post may not be an answer for your queries.

If you are kind of geek (you are a TBHPian ) and if you can find time, then you can always design and build your own system by sourcing products from dealextreme.com. (or dx.com, both are same). I've imported 2 PIR sensors and an IR NV camera more than 18 months back and all are working really fine. The cost was less than half of Zicom products.

Home Security System: Alarms, Wireless Alarms For Security - Alarm System For Sale - Free Shipping
sandeepmdas is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed