Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2012, 14:23   #46
BHPian

Re: Home Security Systems

Thanks harshal.First I will get the internet connection.Then get back to you.
Old 1st October 2012, 16:23   #47
Senior - BHPian

Is there an IP Web cam streaming app which runs in Windows PC which has an Android client which lets you view the streaming on your phone?

I want to keep an eye on the new baby sitter at home. Right now I am running a web cam app which detects motion and records. I am viewing it live via remote desktop application on my phone. This is achieved by setting up port forwarding on my WiFi modem.

Wanted to have a more robust app which can show the video straightaway without having to rdp.

Last edited by clevermax : 1st October 2012 at 16:26.
Old 9th October 2012, 08:41   #48
BHPian

This is my requirement, would appreciate it if anyone can give me pointers on available options preferably which can be sourced from India itself.

Have a remote farmhouse that I visit maybe once in 15 days, want to setup a single cam just to keep a tab.
- It should not be an online setup, as I do not want to have a broadband connection running just for this purpose.
- Cam should record to a connected HDD (USB portable one preferred)
- Low quality video is fine , if it records only based on motion detection that is preferable.
- The setup should work without having to have a computer running inside the house.
- If the power fails , when it comes back the Cam should auto re-start.

And last but not the least, the setup should not cost a bomb price wise !!!

Thanks
Fillmore
Old 26th August 2013, 15:12   #49
BHPian

Apartment security hardening against intrusion

The word "hardening" comes from the concept of OS Hardening which means that you close as many possible points of intrusion, setup a firewall, and also include intrusion detection systems, among others. I've no plans for setting up intrusion detection (gadgets) at this point, but with retired parents at home I'm not in the mood to take risks with a vulnerable apartment.

I'm not exactly looking to install home security systems or cameras and other gadgets, or any specific "product". I'm contemplating beefing up our apartment's security the old fashioned way sans gadgets, but hopefully making use of technological improvements.

The problem with our current house is that it is on the first floor, making it the first choice for all thugs. Although all windows and balconies have grills, the front door lacks primary protection of a metal door and all the windows have wafer thin glass and near useless wooden windows.

My plan is to install a thick metal door up front but with an opening to allow for some exchange of money, letters and small parcels without actually opening the door. You know the ones that are installed in large offices for exit doors, but the looking glass must be openable/slideable. We could install a regular grill made by some roadside sheet worker and a lot of people in our complex do have them, but they're made of thin sheets, don't look strong enough to resist a blow and make a hell lot of noise opening and closing. They also make a mess of walls installing them.

Next step would be to replace all the existing wooden windows with strong steel ones with double glazed PVC panes which are not only more resistant to breakage than single panes of glass, but also block noise better - two birds in one shot because one of the cons of living on the first floor is noise from parking, vendors, traffic, etc. The only problem is I'm not sure if the wooden frames set in concrete can be removed or replaced without weakening the building structure.

I'm hoping someone on this forum has attempted something similar and is willing to share their tips, experience, and contact details of the business establishments that worked for them.

If this thread doesn't belong to this forum, please feel free to delete.
Old 26th August 2013, 17:27   #50
Senior - BHPian

Re: Apartment security hardening against intrusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
I'm hoping someone on this forum has attempted something similar and is willing to share their tips, experience, and contact details of the business establishments that worked for them.
Please check these threads, if you haven't already:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ty-system.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...y-systems.html

EDIT: Sorry, jumped the gun before reading your post properly. Please report my post for deletion if those links aren't what you are looking for.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 26th August 2013 at 17:37.
Old 19th November 2013, 09:53   #51
BHPian

Anybody know if I can get Godrej locks duplicated at any random key maker ? I mean, do they do a good job or will the keys produced this way ruin the lock mechanism ?

Not sure how much Godrej's going to charge for new keys.
Old 19th November 2013, 12:15   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Not sure how much Godrej's going to charge for new keys.
My suggestion will be to go to Godrej's autorized key makers itself. The dealers in each city is listed in their website.
I was in your boat last year, tried at some 3 local key makers. They charge anything between Rs 50 - 100 for Godrej keys with 'dot' marks. Two of the keys did not work, one was useful only in locking and not opening. Finally went to Godrej guy and he did a perfect job for Rs 250 if I recollect.
Old 19th November 2013, 12:19   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
My suggestion will be to go to Godrej's autorized key makers itself. The dealers in each city is listed in their website.
I was in your boat last year, tried at some 3 local key makers. They charge anything between Rs 50 - 100 for Godrej keys with 'dot' marks. Two of the keys did not work, one was useful only in locking and not opening. Finally went to Godrej guy and he did a perfect job for Rs 250 if I recollect.

Thank you very much for responding! You confirm my suspicions. I'll try to get hold of the Godrej keymaker himself.

Edit: Just got hold of them. Same - Rs.250 per key.

Last edited by hellmet : 19th November 2013 at 12:20.
Old 26th September 2016, 17:08   #54
BHPian

Any recommendations for a simple home security camera with night time recording feature. I just need one in front of my porch, to record the activities.

Please advise.
Old 4th July 2021, 16:07   #55
BHPian

Reviving an old but relevant thread. The info in the thread is probably outdated.

Any recommendations for a simple home security camera with night time recording feature.

What resolution of cameras(2 nos)?
What to avoid?
Old 4th July 2021, 19:04   #56
BHPian

Normally 2 MP cameras are installed with IR Sensor for night vision. But, I am not satisfied with these and now cannot upgrade to 5 MP camera as DVR would not support these. Others opinion may also be considered.
The duration (days) of recording available for viewing depends on Hard Drive capacity. This can be increased by changing the setting of Camera to Motion Detection mode, if the Camera is focussed indoor where there are long duration of inactivity.
Old 4th July 2021, 21:37   #57
BHPian

Is it possible to watch the footage from DVR to smart TV without any cable?

I am having problem to take the wire from camera to DVR, if I fix the DVR near the TV. So planning to install the DVR in balcony, and from there ot will connect the TV through wireless.

Please advise.
Old 5th July 2021, 09:37   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukanta73 View Post

I am having problem to take the wire from camera to DVR, if I fix the DVR near the TV. So planning to install the DVR in balcony, and from there ot will connect the TV through wireless.

Please advise.
It is possible if you have Android TV/box. You can install the same app on your box/TV which you use to watch it on your phone and then set it up.
atulsian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 10:21   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukanta73 View Post

Please advise.
DVR in Balcony may be prone to humidity, heat and dust, which all can affect the performance and life of DVR.
Sometimes, it may be difficult to connect USB (to download a particular clip) through a maze of Cables on the plate of DVR. I have permanently installed USB extension cable for this purpose.
Amrik Singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 16:39   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrik Singh View Post
DVR in Balcony may be prone to humidity, heat and dust, which all can affect the performance and life of DVR.
Ok. I can fix it inside the room, but I cannot take the cables to the tv unit due to wiring limitations.

Any chance to transfer the picture directly to the TV without any wire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atulsian View Post
It is possible if you have Android TV/box. You can install the same app on your box/TV which you use to watch it on your phone and then set it up.
Could you please share the link of the product?

My expectations are watch the footage in TV, and Mobile without any wire from DVR to TV.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks